CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

For those wondering, looks like you can finally center your crosshair in H3 on console.

There is also the ability to adjust the display of the weapon model on screen (and it is weapon type specific) which is new for console at least as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TonyDHFC said:

Oh fuck me these maps are that bad?

Edge was the second worst H:O map. It & Reactor are absolutely terrible. 

Waterfall is the spawn of Narrows/Orbital linear aggression, with a lot of ways to hide in mid with only two ways to get there. It'd work if killtimes were faster. 

Yeah I mean these maps aren't good or competitively sound maps. They're just visual variety. Edge is just I don't even know how to fix it but it needs A LOT of help and Waterfall is bad for a few reasons. No matter where a team tries to setup there is a problem. So you could setup in the two general spawn areas and just never leave so no movement or in the middle where there just aren't really enough angles of attack and it would become a pretty stagnant game or you fight around where the snipe spawns and people can just instantly man cannon over off of spawn from both sides for the entire game probably fast enough that your shield can't recharge unless they're the person that was shooting you before personally. No matter which one of those you get its a mess

Some of the visual customization is a step too far. Some of this shit is just distracting/stupid. 

22 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Xbox vs PC is the weirdest thing ever. Idk how many times I've said it but bullets on console are not the same as bullets on pc. I just noticed this time because I'm trying series x vs PC and for whatever reason PC is just way more clean 

Also the tactical pack back accessory they're trying out isn't really okay. Depending on the angle it can obscure the players head from behind especially if they're trying to strongside away or if they're slightly elevated

Here is an example if you're curious. We're on flat ground and hes not even looking down

Does it block the hitbox? Obscuring is bad enough but blocking the hitbox is a much bigger issue

4 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Does it block the hitbox? Obscuring is bad enough but blocking the hitbox is a much bigger issue

I'm not actually sure I just bodied the guy twice after that ss someone would have to go in a custom game or play a little longer to check. I would really hope not though

After playing it some more I think you might be able to do Edge CTF somehow but you'd have to redo the outside edges somehow. Perhaps a not so good ball map too since there's a lot of spots to play it

On 2/26/2021 at 8:28 PM, Squatting Bear said:

My friend, you ABSOLUTELY can lone wolf in Halo 2  ;)

Not with three thumbless 0.2 K/D teammates you can't

That's why it's so critically important to shoot everything you see in H2 and beyond. Otherwise you'll be the one at permanent half-shields fighting three other people at full shields.

• Thonking (+0) 1

Does anyone know why H2 1v1 settings were carbine starts instead of BR starts? Is it because the carbine requires you to use a higher percentage of your ammo to get kills so it forces map movement for ammo? So you have to pickup an item on map to be able to do BR button glitches? Something else?

14 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

That's why it's so critically important to shoot everything you see in H2 and beyond. Otherwise you'll be the one at permanent half-shields fighting three other people at full shields.

I think MCC just throws a bunch of random players together so matchmaking times are fast, but then you get games (honestly most of them) where multiple players just obviously can't compete with the average player in the lobby.

I had a game today where I went 29-0 on Countdown, and at the same time I had two teammates that had 1 and 3 kills, both having around 10 deaths. These lobbies sometimes are just very wonky. Then of course I have games every time I play where I go +10 and lose because my 3 other teammates just get run over. Or games where the other team is genuinely good and I go negative because my teammates don't do what I need them to do to so that we don't get completely slaughtered.

Solo queue is just a mess.

Edit: Checking my game history today. My K/D was 169/47 (3.6), and my record was 4-5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

I think MCC just throws a bunch of random players together so matchmaking times are fast, but then you get games (honestly most of them) where multiple players just obviously can't compete with the average player in the lobby.

I had a game today where I went 29-0 on Countdown, and at the same time I had two teammates that had 1 and 3 kills, both having around 10 deaths. These lobbies sometimes are just very wonky. Then of course I have games every time I play where I go +10 and lose because my 3 other teammates just get run over. Or games where the other team is genuinely good and I go negative because my teammates don't do what I need them to do to so that we don't get completely slaughtered.

Solo queue is just a mess.

Edit: Checking my game history today. My K/D was 169/47 (3.6), and my record was 4-5.

Matchmaking working as intended!

15 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Matchmaking working as intended!

Pretty sure I once had a losing streak of around 10 games on MCC where I went positive in every single one. It gets pretty annoying when you know the game just doesn't wanna give you a chance today.

• Fire (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

Pretty sure I once had a losing streak of around 10 games on MCC where I went positive in every single one. It gets pretty annoying when you know the game just doesn't wanna give you a chance today.

I made it to rank 30 TS by soloQ'ing and subsequently lost 11 straight. Completely burned my drive to play for a couple months, the skill plateaus around mid 20's and when you don't have a 3v4 at least one person in the lobby is going double negative. 

Ranked is intended to provide competitive matches and somehow succeeds in being worse than social. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 2/28/2021 at 8:38 AM, Cursed Lemon said:

If you can’t trust your help to actually help once you draw attention, it’s been my experience that holding your fire until you can kill what you see is much more effective. When I play with people I trust, I just do damage and call out like you said. With tards? They’re not gonna find your weak guys anyways, and they’re damn sure not gonna react to your red arrow and help you. Better off keeping your stealth for when it matters.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hard Way said:

If you can’t trust your help to actually help once you draw attention, it’s been my experience that holding your fire until you can kill what you see is much more effective. When I play with people I trust, I just do damage and call out like you said. With tards? They’re not gonna find your weak guys anyways, and they’re damn sure not gonna react to your red arrow and help you. Better off keeping your stealth for when it matters.

I don't think I'm morally capable of this. lol It's basically abandoning your teammates and while said teammates absolutely deserve it, it's just unconscionable.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I don't think I'm morally capable of this. lol It's basically abandoning your teammates and while said teammates absolutely deserve it, it's just unconscionable.

But it's still a good idea to help them in their fights. It's not necessarily abandoning them. But I think it's foolish to put yourself at risk in an attempt to set up a kill for someone with no awareness, and won't find the kill. Especially when that person won't help you after you expose yourself.  Idk. It all depends on how good the enemy team is. If they're bad too, I do damage whenever possible. But if they're good? Fuck that. I need that element of surprise to do anything.

The real issue here is kids need a legit PSA on wtf the red/yellow arrows on their screen mean.

Halo would be so much more fun to play in general if social players knew how to actually play the game instead of running around looking for kills like it's FFA.

That's not even touching the whole other separate can of worms that is how social players play objective modes. 

If you ever play KOTH and want to tell whether it's hardcore or social without knowing the settings or gamemode for each, seeing 2-3 people standing in the same hill should be a dead giveaway. 

Seriously, a basic-yet-comprehensive tutorial with 343's production quality from the pro team would be extremely appreciated. Something a cut above "move left and right while shooting so you don't get 4ed". 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

It's a fuckin video game

4 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

It's a fuckin video game

It's the same principle lol the only difference is there are no -real- ramifications.

7 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

It's the same principle lol the only difference is there are no -real- ramifications.

tenor.gif?itemid=12446406

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

I don't know about you guys, but I put damage out when I can, teammates help or no. It could result in an assist, force them into cover, or they'll attempt to fight down a shot or 2. Only if I'm actively trying to go for some deep ass flank would I hold off.

22 hours ago, The Tyco said:

I don't know about you guys, but I put damage out when I can, teammates help or no. It could result in an assist, force them into cover, or they'll attempt to fight down a shot or 2. Only if I'm actively trying to go for some deep ass flank would I hold off.

It really depends on the game currently in progress when I'm playing with competent players who are pushing with me I just get really aggro and put up big numbers as far as overall damage, assist, sometimes deaths even but not always kills depending on who happens to be getting the clean up via positioning. Shooting people isn't optional (somehow this became a real problem in Halo mm in recent years) but where I do it from is. There's like a whole different mode where I realize my team either isn't pushing to help so the other strat would just be me putting up a lot of deaths for nothing or they are playing badly enough that I need to make sure that I go really positive. That's a whole lot of baiting kills making sure I'm not going to die before I'm making sure I'm finishing kills and generally not sacrificing myself for other people. Pretty much just selfish vs unselfish gameplay. They're both good ideas situationally and the better the player is the better they are at shifting between the two and recognizing when it needs to change.

Ninja in Halo was the perfect example of a player that was REALLY aggro and great at it but he struggled with shifting modes and it held him back from where he could've been where maybe a player like Neightbor or Strongside were a bit of the opposite with a similar issue although I think they both developed to be a little more balanced. Snakebite is a good example of someone that shifts between the two easily all the time

I could go on a rant about how for some reason a lot of players in Halo don't shoot now but I don't even know where to begin. Cross map shooting is a dying concept for a lot of players especially in lower level matchmaking and I have no idea how or why. Doing damage and exerting pressure on the map is not something that is optional if people want to win a game. I'm not sure if other genres of shooters are bleeding over and causing people to not try for a map presence or something but its gotten kind of ridiculous where players just don't shoot people that aren't immediately near them in matchmaking. Its like they think they're going to flank for the entire game and not do anything else to the point that I'm not even sure if they realize they're making a certain kind of play in Halo and that perhaps they think that's just how you're supposed to always play every situation

• Like (+1) 1

I'm only advocating for holding your shots in situations where you know your team isn't going to benefit from your damage, and you're essentially firing "here I am" shots. They'll heal, they won't get pushed from another direction, and they'll know you're coming. And a lot of times, the other team will actually interpret their teammates' "getting shot" arrows correctly, and suddenly those one or two shots of damage have caused multiple people to know you're there.

When you're severely overmatched, you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing that.  It's different if a teammate (even a bad one) is very nearby and absolutely should see your guy.

But if I'm at plasma nades on Sanc and my bad teammates are in my rocks, I might not shoot that guy in P door if he doesn't see me yet. I'm not convinced my teammates would push into the jump-up and find the weak guy I left for them on our ring wall. I would rather let that guy go, hopefully he focuses his attention towards rocks, and let me push across P street, get combo and ring 3, and actually do meaningful damage. None of that happens if I shoot from plasmas. Multiple people see me coming, and I can't make that move with enough health left.

If my teammates are good, I do that damage, pressure the P door from snipe hut, draw attention, and try to make their push from rocks easier. But they have to demonstrate they're worthy of that trust before I do something like that. Or at least not demonstrate they're not. There's no sense making yourself the bait if your teammates can't spring the trap.

8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I'm only advocating for holding your shots in situations where you know your team isn't going to benefit from your damage, and you're essentially firing "here I am" shots. They'll heal, they won't get pushed from another direction, and they'll know you're coming. And a lot of times, the other team will actually interpret their teammates' "getting shot" arrows correctly, and suddenly those one or two shots of damage have caused multiple people to know you're there.

When you're severely overmatched, you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing that.  It's different if a teammate (even a bad one) is very nearby and absolutely should see your guy.

But if I'm at plasma nades on Sanc and my bad teammates are in my rocks, I might not shoot that guy in P door if he doesn't see me yet. I'm not convinced my teammates would push into the jump-up and find the weak guy I left for them on our ring wall. I would rather let that guy go, hopefully he focuses his attention towards rocks, and let me push across P street, get combo and ring 3, and actually do meaningful damage. None of that happens if I shoot from plasmas. Multiple people see me coming, and I can't make that move with enough health left.

If my teammates are good, I do that damage, pressure the P door from snipe hut, draw attention, and try to make their push from rocks easier. But they have to demonstrate they're worthy of that trust before I do something like that. Or at least not demonstrate they're not. There's no sense making yourself the bait if you're teammates can't spring the trap.

Yeah for sure there are definitely instances where you realize you're about to assassinate a bunch of people or are flanking so hard you'd be so overmatched by the number of people in front of you that it would essentially be pointless to draw attention. I was more so talking about the guys that just spawn and instantly run low and die on Narrows as the other team has full control of top mid/your pockets or ran around on Truth like it was a NASCAR map never shooting at anyone that wasn't currently in their section of the race. They even do it on Midship/Heretic and I feel like I'm malding every time I watch it lmao

• Like (+1) 1