CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

6 hours ago, Shekkles said:

The map sightlines are so long the sniper, like H2A, becomes more than a power weapon. It's basically a god gun and it ruins Reach BTB. If Reach didn't have a sniper or had a much harder to use sniper I might have a different view. But it's so strong that I cannot stand it. Ruins the entire flow of maps.

A lot of that is because jetpack makes it easy to get to areas with good sightlines across the map.

• Like (+1) 1

Reach BTB and invasion both fucking suck and it's a shame because anyone with a brain could turn it into something fantastic in 30 seconds. 

- No AAs

- No bloom

- 120% BMS

- Make DMR and Sniper not hitscan. 

Too bad that 2010 Bungie was full of idiots that thought Armor Lock was quirky and had to ruin Halo MP for the next generation. People hate 343 and I get it, but late stage Bungie had this smug attitude coupled with atrocious design choices that will make anyone with at least a double digit IQ angry. Good riddance I'm glad they're no longer in charge of Halo, because any Bungie game after Reach would have been way worse than H4 and 5 gameplay wise. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 2

Bad things happen to people who badmouth invasion while I'm around...

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Bad things happen to people who badmouth invasion while I'm around...

Invasion should be better. It's my believe that Invasion 2.0 should be the premier game mode of casual Halo.

My vision of Invasion 2.0:

• 24-32 players
  • Elites vs Spartans still.
  • Both sides start by being dropped in by Pelicans or Phantoms in dedicated bases with a short cinematic and drop in like Silent Cartographer.
  • There are AI enemies in your base and these need to be cleared out quickly and all systems activated.
  • The "systems" you activate are vehicles and AI-turrets, weapons and ammo. You just walk up and activate it, it's nothing fancy.
  • Large amounts of AI are dropped in via Pelican/Dropship in the bases with increased "Scaling".
    • Phase 1 of the battle is grunts, light marines ghosts and warthogs.
    • Phase 2 is jackals, rifle marines, banshees and hornets.
    • Phase 3 is ODST's, Hunters, Elites, wraiths, scorpions. The rest basically.
  • There are three cap zones on the map. Game mode is basically Domination from CoD in terms of win condition/score tick.
  • Once the score limit is reached, one team wins. HOWEVER, the game then has a short time to plant a bomb in the enemy base. If you succeed as an attacker you get an extra bonus. If you fail to blow the bomb you still win as attackers though.
  • The AI do not fight in cap zones, they exclusively engage in the areas between and around them. This is for three reasons:
    • 1: With dedicated "battlefields" for AI the action would be constant, epic and extremely (wait for it) immersive
    • 2: The objectives are entirely controlled by players. AI can interfere a little, but overall they are there for scenery. The capture points are basically small 4v4 maps on their own with decent aerial cover to stop air players dominating too much.
    • 3: These AI play areas are vehicle-heavy and player controlled vehicles will have many targets to fight against, human and AI.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Once the score limit is reached, one team wins. HOWEVER, the game then has a short time to plant a bomb in the enemy base. If you succeed as an attacker you get an extra bonus. If you fail to blow the bomb you still win as attackers though.

Like kicking the extra point after touchdown?  Interesting.  You could even split the extra point into an easy one and a hard one for 1 and 2 extra points respectively.  Like college football overtime, kick it through the uprights for one or run it in for two.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Like kicking the extra point after touchdown?  Interesting.  You could even split the extra point into an easy one and a hard one for 1 and 2 extra points respectively.  Like college football overtime, kick it through the uprights for one or run it in for two.  

You played titanfall right? Remember the escape mechanic, where the team that lost gets a chance to hop on a transport and escape the winning team? I'm pretty sure the team that permakilled every player before the transports could leave got extra points or something.

• Like (+1) 1

its fucking depressing I cant find a match at 5:45pm EST on a Friday.

Yall have lives or something?! get on halo

edit: maybe its an FFA thing....

• Like (+1) 1

They are adding the map "Edge" from Halo Online as well in the next update. Seems pretty likely they will be adding the other maps leading up to the release of Infinite (which is when I expect pretty much all support for this game to end.)

0219_fridaydevupdate_mcc_edgemap-1d8e601

33 minutes ago, NAK said:

They are adding the map "Edge" from Halo Online as well in the next update. Seems pretty likely they will be adding the other maps leading up to the release of Infinite (which is when I expect pretty much all support for this game to end.)

Any word on Halo CE maps?

10 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

Any word on Halo CE maps?

Nothing that I have seen. Which is a shame. I've never been able to play any of the H1 Final maps and a few look great. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, NAK said:

0219_fridaydevupdate_mcc_edgemap-1d8e601

Visually I like that map a lot more than the other

11 hours ago, NAK said:

Nothing that I have seen. Which is a shame. I've never been able to play any of the H1 Final maps and a few look great. 

My blood is boiling.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, -DeucEy- said:

Honestly, a lot of the negativity has to do with the obliviously ridiculous decisions that we tell them well in advance that will hurt the game/healthy population and then they just actively ignore it, put it into the game anyway, and then the game dies because of it. It's not like a lot of the negativity is just because it's a bunch of grumpy old men/women on here lol. We've had PLENTY of positive feedback on this forum, myself included. And even when I am giving feedback, I always give very detailed posts about why certain features are good and why they're bad -- Go back through my post history and find a single negative thing I've ever said about Halo 5's forge - And I hate Forge lol. I've had replies back and forth with Josh Holmes specifically on here. But not every piece of feedback needs to be positive. That's why it's called feedback.

One example of an interaction I've had with Josh Holmes on here specifically was before Halo 5 came out and I wrote a post about the importance of party matchmaking at the very beginning of the game to sustain a healthy population at ALL skill levels because it makes the games more fair and balanced - Team matching + looser skill matching (meaning teams of 4 match teams of 4 but the range of skill can be slightly wider, similar to how 43s can match 49s in Halo 3 for example). He responded to me with something like (paraphrasing) "Hard and fast rules like that can be problematic so we can't do it" or something along those lines but... Halo 3's matchmaking did this for years with NO problems. Where's the problem? And you know what the issue was when Halo 5 released? People like myself got Champion on the first day playing the game and had to deal with NOTHING but teams of 4, even pro teams, against myself and a team of other randoms and lose game handily due to lack of team communication/synergy/etc. Especially during the age of Xbox where the game chat isn't a thing as it used to be; exasperating the issue. Could I win games? Of course, I'm not garbage at the game, but the games are entirely more unbalanced than they need to be. Especially during the beginning of the game's life span where the population is at its highest. So what happened? People stopped playing ranked, people couldn't get matches after a few months. Vetoed for example, is probably one of the best that just grinds matchmaking and he had to CONSTANTLY make new accounts because he just couldn't get a match after a while. 

Let's not also forget the big sprint poll fiasco where 343 basically had a poll on EVERY active Halo forum: TeamBeyond, Reddit, and HaloWaypoint. All three of which voted in favor of no sprint vs for sprint. Were you around when they decided "okay, no sprint was the majority opinion on every forum, BUT we're going to count people who don't care either way as for sprint therefore, for sprint wins." And then what happens? The people who don't care and the people who voted for sprint don't even play the game anyway past the first 6 days of the game coming out and we're stuck playing a worse version of a great game we could have possibly had.

I just wanted to elaborate on this because you can't paint this picture like we're the bad guys when a LOT of us have tried our asses off for a decade to give feedback they need that we KNOW will help in the games life cycle and they just do the opposite and we have to watch our game die in the process. 

I created a video for 343 and CA on how to improve forge for H5. I honestly don't know if they based any of their decisions on my video or they came up with the improvements themselves. But I was surprised that so many of my items were included.

Having said that, regarding 343 not frequenting TB for feedback any longer (if that is accurate?), perhaps the question should be, "Is TB a target audience for 343 any longer?"

I honestly love Halo, even if it is bad. I would play H4 before most any other game, but it is my least favorite. It feels the most foreign of all of them. Just the armor suits alone seems different enough that it begins to not feel like Halo any longer.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:20 PM, Shekkles said:

I played MCC for the first time in like two months last night. Played every game in BTB except Halo 1 (don't like Halo 1 BTB). Few things I noticed:

- No other game plays like Halo 1/2/3. None.
- Halo 4 isn't as bad as I thought, however it's crippling lack of uniqueness makes it irrelevant and forgettable. It wasn't as bad as I thought because I constantly forget about it. The art can be pretty sometimes but it looks nothing like Halo. To be clear: it's not great, just not as bad as I thought.
- H2A actually sucks.
- Halo 2 is straight fucking fire on a good map and near unplayable on a bad one.
- Halo 3 is the best all-round experience. 
- Halo Reach sucks ass so hard I hate it so much.
- I fucking love the Halo trilogy.

When you compare the success of MP only games like Overwatch, Fortnite, and Apex Legends, it seems like development of a story line is not really necessary for a strong ROI these days. But I believe that a story presented through a trilogy of titles would lead players in MP matches to feel more connected with their avatar. That connection I believe is one of the factors that has made Halo a legend. (And the music didn't hurt it either.)

But it's the first title of the trilogy that needs to sell the trilogy.

3 hours ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

Having said that, regarding 343 not frequenting TB for feedback any longer (if that is accurate?), perhaps the question should be, "Is TB a target audience for 343 any longer?"

I'd say they're virtually guaranteed to be either reading this feedback from time to time or reading the feedback of someone who's point of view is shaped by reading things here. Just because the people don't publicly come out and respond doesn't mean that they didn't witness the feedback in some form. Collating information is something that never truly stops and many ideas or even sentiments from people on this website have been directly answered in blogs or updates from time to time even if they didn't reply to that person on this website. That new AR for example in the Infinite video (the commando I think its called?) is shockingly similar to a conversation that's been had around here discussing a more skill based/accurate AR concept. Maybe that's an accident but at the same time maybe not. Either way I'm pretty interested in seeing how it turns out

I think the biggest thing to realize is that a lot of the people working directly on Halo games are pretty normal game devs/people and if you approach them logically and concisely I really do think they'll be willing to understand your feedback. They may not be allowed to speak in public or even wish to because that can be a pretty scary thing to do as a game developer especially for popular games. You'll always have the aggressive or extremely rude people and they're not paid or trained to deal with that. Things can be pretty toxic so I can't really fault them for not wanting to wade into it all and risk that constantly

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2021 at 8:57 PM, -DeucEy- said:

Honestly, a lot of the negativity has to do with the obliviously ridiculous decisions that we tell them well in advance that will hurt the game/healthy population and then they just actively ignore it, put it into the game anyway, and then the game dies because of it. It's not like a lot of the negativity is just because it's a bunch of grumpy old men/women on here lol. We've had PLENTY of positive feedback on this forum, myself included. And even when I am giving feedback, I always give very detailed posts about why certain features are good and why they're bad -- Go back through my post history and find a single negative thing I've ever said about Halo 5's forge - And I hate Forge lol. I've had replies back and forth with Josh Holmes specifically on here. But not every piece of feedback needs to be positive. That's why it's called feedback.

One example of an interaction I've had with Josh Holmes on here specifically was before Halo 5 came out and I wrote a post about the importance of party matchmaking at the very beginning of the game to sustain a healthy population at ALL skill levels because it makes the games more fair and balanced - Team matching + looser skill matching (meaning teams of 4 match teams of 4 but the range of skill can be slightly wider, similar to how 43s can match 49s in Halo 3 for example). He responded to me with something like (paraphrasing) "Hard and fast rules like that can be problematic so we can't do it" or something along those lines but... Halo 3's matchmaking did this for years with NO problems. Where's the problem? And you know what the issue was when Halo 5 released? People like myself got Champion on the first day playing the game and had to deal with NOTHING but teams of 4, even pro teams, against myself and a team of other randoms and lose game handily due to lack of team communication/synergy/etc. Especially during the age of Xbox where the game chat isn't a thing as it used to be; exasperating the issue. Could I win games? Of course, I'm not garbage at the game, but the games are entirely more unbalanced than they need to be. Especially during the beginning of the game's life span where the population is at its highest. So what happened? People stopped playing ranked, people couldn't get matches after a few months. Vetoed for example, is probably one of the best that just grinds matchmaking and he had to CONSTANTLY make new accounts because he just couldn't get a match after a while. 

Let's not also forget the big sprint poll fiasco where 343 basically had a poll on EVERY active Halo forum: TeamBeyond, Reddit, and HaloWaypoint. All three of which voted in favor of no sprint vs for sprint. Were you around when they decided "okay, no sprint was the majority opinion on every forum, BUT we're going to count people who don't care either way as for sprint therefore, for sprint wins." And then what happens? The people who don't care and the people who voted for sprint don't even play the game anyway past the first 6 days of the game coming out and we're stuck playing a worse version of a great game we could have possibly had.

I just wanted to elaborate on this because you can't paint this picture like we're the bad guys when a LOT of us have tried our asses off for a decade to give feedback they need that we KNOW will help in the games life cycle and they just do the opposite and we have to watch our game die in the process. 

Plus rep this man.

On 2/18/2021 at 10:50 AM, Basu said:

Reach BTB and invasion both fucking suck and it's a shame because anyone with a brain could turn it into something fantastic in 30 seconds. 

- No AAs

- No bloom

- 120% BMS

- Make DMR and Sniper not hitscan. 

Too bad that 2010 Bungie was full of idiots that thought Armor Lock was quirky and had to ruin Halo MP for the next generation. People hate 343 and I get it, but late stage Bungie had this smug attitude coupled with atrocious design choices that will make anyone with at least a double digit IQ angry. Good riddance I'm glad they're no longer in charge of Halo, because any Bungie game after Reach would have been way worse than H4 and 5 gameplay wise. 

I know I’ve posted this a few times, but it’s so damn applicable. If you haven’t listened, please do.

8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I know I’ve posted this a few times, but it’s so damn applicable. If you haven’t listened, please do.

I've watched all your videos and I 100% agree with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I've watched only a couple of your videos and I 100% agree with you.

One of the recent Halo discoveries that nearly made me blow my lid is that the Reach beta already had a consistent way to limit the DMR at range-recoil. The files controlling the amount of recoil each gun has still exist in the final game, but the engine is told to just ignore them entirely. Instead, we have dice-roll bloom for nearly a year.

• Like (+1) 2

1.Weapons that should return to infinite the storm repeater but works like the reach beta version. 
2.needle rifle And to make this weapon truly feel different it’s super combine does aoe damage, not too powerful but enough where it’s enough to give you an advantage against the teammates around that were affected by it. 15 shield damage should be fair.

3. Brute shot. Loved this weapon in h3 and because of its blade it should do more melee damage, and with that one interview on 343 it seems to me they might be going for something like that with brute weapons and the blades on them.

4. Missile pod. Nothing to say here it should work exactly like it’s h3 counterpart 

Has anyone else been confused with the new armor? I've been finding the lights on the armor too bright and almost make the spartans look weak...

like.... which dude is weak?

8310bc8460af9dbc88f5f667276aa45f.gif

13 minutes ago, znot said:

like.... which dude is weak?

Both, given the sort range, random spread, and terrible TTK of their rifles.

• Fire (+1) 1

On 2/18/2021 at 9:24 PM, Shekkles said:

Invasion should be better. It's my believe that Invasion 2.0 should be the premier game mode of casual Halo.

My vision of Invasion 2.0:

• 24-32 players
  • Elites vs Spartans still.
  • Both sides start by being dropped in by Pelicans or Phantoms in dedicated bases with a short cinematic and drop in like Silent Cartographer.
  • There are AI enemies in your base and these need to be cleared out quickly and all systems activated.
  • The "systems" you activate are vehicles and AI-turrets, weapons and ammo. You just walk up and activate it, it's nothing fancy.
  • Large amounts of AI are dropped in via Pelican/Dropship in the bases with increased "Scaling".
    • Phase 1 of the battle is grunts, light marines ghosts and warthogs.
    • Phase 2 is jackals, rifle marines, banshees and hornets.
    • Phase 3 is ODST's, Hunters, Elites, wraiths, scorpions. The rest basically.
  • There are three cap zones on the map. Game mode is basically Domination from CoD in terms of win condition/score tick.
  • Once the score limit is reached, one team wins. HOWEVER, the game then has a short time to plant a bomb in the enemy base. If you succeed as an attacker you get an extra bonus. If you fail to blow the bomb you still win as attackers though.
  • The AI do not fight in cap zones, they exclusively engage in the areas between and around them. This is for three reasons:
    • 1: With dedicated "battlefields" for AI the action would be constant, epic and extremely (wait for it) immersive
    • 2: The objectives are entirely controlled by players. AI can interfere a little, but overall they are there for scenery. The capture points are basically small 4v4 maps on their own with decent aerial cover to stop air players dominating too much.
    • 3: These AI play areas are vehicle-heavy and player controlled vehicles will have many targets to fight against, human and AI.

Sounds a lot like battlefronts conquest mode and I think that mode be great for halo. However the team defending from the enemy bomb would likely quit or give up if they’re guaranteed to lose. Preventing the enemy team from getting a bonus isn’t a good enough incentive 

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Sounds a lot like battlefronts conquest mode and I think that mode be great for halo. However the team defending from the enemy bomb would likely quit or give up if they’re guaranteed to lose. Preventing the enemy team from getting a bonus isn’t a good enough incentive 

I'd only make it like 60 seconds or just flat remove it. Game mode would need a lot of testing. Shame it'll never see the light of day.

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I'd only make it like 60 seconds or just flat remove it. Game mode would need a lot of testing. Shame it'll never see the light of day.

I mean that last part just needs to be removed I’m gonna be honest. And it could see the light of you brought it up to 343 on Twitter or made a post on Reddit and if it go lot of likes 343 may feel inclined to add it