CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

56 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

The flame thrower wouldve been cool in flood levels. 

Fckk3bp_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

6 hours ago, Hard Way said:

No and no. If viable means good, yeah the fuel rod cannon is good, but it's OP as hell. The flamethrower is powerful in the right situation, but it's also cumbersome because it's really easy to hurt yourself with it, and it's just kind of a poorly designed weapon. They're both poor additions.

I don't follow. Wouldn't learning to avoid your own flames increase the skill gap? Wouldn't that be a well designed weapon?

And regarding the fuel rod cannon, wasn't it only found in btb? I'd suppose snipers would be more effective in those large barren maps. And if memory serves me right, wasn't it clearly inferior to the rocket launcher? Why do the rockets get the pass? 

4 hours ago, hvs500 said:

I don't follow. Wouldn't learning to avoid your own flames increase the skill gap? Wouldn't that be a well designed weapon?

And regarding the fuel rod cannon, wasn't it only found in btb? I'd suppose snipers would be more effective in those large barren maps. And if memory serves me right, wasn't it clearly inferior to the rocket launcher? Why do the rockets get the pass? 

FRG is spammy as shit as it doesn't have to be reloaded, just watch the overheat (which is also incredibly generous). The CE rockets have a pretty long delay between shots that will often get you killed, with the FRG you just keep spamming until everyone is dead.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone notice the bottom bullet about mcc? MCC on Wii U confirmed?

oJRW5C3.png

Have they decided to allowed a centered reticle on any console yet? When I swap to console from pc once in awhile that's a bigger issue than fov

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OG Nick said:

oJRW5C3.png

Rumor is Epic Games Store. Would make sense considering the recent Halo X Fortnite promotion.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, S0UL FLAME said:

The consistency of smooth games outweigh the extra twenty to forty seconds it takes to find players. Go for it.

Figured I'd give an update.

Haven't had a chance to run competitive, but works pretty good for social for H2/3. 10/10 blocking servers if you run mostly social.

Lore kid post here, but if you're into it then there's a fanmade novelization of Halo 2 and Halo 3 coming out soon. 

As a closeted lore kid, this is absolutely HYPE

On 2/7/2021 at 7:37 PM, Snipe Three said:

Have they decided to allowed a centered reticle on any console yet? When I swap to console from pc once in awhile that's a bigger issue than fov

It's the one thing I'm hoping for the most (since FOV sliders ran into some FPS issues), but to my knowledge we haven't seen any updates on it. Heck, they even just announced they'll be testing console FOV sliders again but still no mention of centered reticules on console.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:29 AM, hvs500 said:

I mean, I guess? We're talking about a flamethrower though. How much "skill gap" is there really? It's pretty easy to use. It's just cumbersome and unintuitive. Use it and see for yourself.

It's only in BTB in MM, but you can spawn it on 4v4 maps with the right weapon set. Fuel rods are great for locking down choke points and shutting down vehicles. It's better on some maps than others, but they're crazy powerful. They can one-hit like a rocket, but what they lack in velocity and splash damage, they more than make up for in fire rate and ammo. I wouldn't call it inferior to rockets at all.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:46 PM, OG Nick said:

oJRW5C3.png

It might just be a new dev-made map. I'm not sure about "new way to play" though.

8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I mean, I guess? We're talking about a flamethrower though. How much "skill gap" is there really? It's pretty easy to use. It's just cumbersome and unintuitive. Use it and see for yourself.

It's only in BTB in MM, but you can spawn it on 4v4 maps with the right weapon set. Fuel rods are great for locking down choke points and shutting down vehicles. It's better on some maps than others, but they're crazy powerful. They can one-hit like a rocket, but what they lack in velocity and splash damage, they more than make up for in fire rate and ammo. I wouldn't call it inferior to rockets at all.

Ah I see. Don't know why I brought up skill gap, it's not really a skillful weapon like the pistol or the sniper, it's more of a strategic weapon, kind of like the shotgun. I believe there was a map editor on the pc edition? We remade chill out back in the day, replaced the needlers with the flamethrowers, and there used to be this kid he called himself mr tard and he had a certain strategy with the flamethrower, it's hard to describe, but if you would, imagine you're nading the rockets, and to your bemusement, mr tard would be watching you,  sitting near the rocket ramp with ov and this dude would spam the CHRIST out of that flamethrower on the place where the rockets was supposed to land, while his mate would threaten you with  snipes from the lobby, they wouldn't let you touch the rockets, they just sat there and you couldn't get them, it was very demoralizing. Eventually we adapted to that strat, but makes you think about the potential of the lame flame, I would've liked to see it more on slayer maps, but I see why it's not there; flamethrowers are annoying.

As mr basu said, fuel rod guns are kind of harmful to the gameplay, they're really spammy, and even if you miss your first shot, you'll get the guy eventually. They're not fun to fight against because there's very little counterplay.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:17 PM, Basu said:

FRG is spammy as shit as it doesn't have to be reloaded, just watch the overheat (which is also incredibly generous). The CE rockets have a pretty long delay between shots that will often get you killed, with the FRG you just keep spamming until everyone is dead.

I think the Fuel rod gun is pretty cool and worth saving. If it could kill in two good hits, and had increased time between shots so a third shot brought it above starting rifle TTK, you'd have a similar playing FRG as rockets, as you'd be able to punish anything but perfect kills. Maybe less screen shake too.

I'd also keep the overheat, making it able to fire two quick shots, with a third overheating it. If you don't use the third shot it will cool, being more efficient than a reload. Lastly, make impacts deal lingering damage on the ground for like three seconds so you can deny areas, like where someone or something is going to land. Using shots on area denial costs both heat and ammo from the magazine. Tying the lingering damage to a surface or short volume (like the H3 Firebombs) means you have to be a bit smart when placing them too.

Now that's a different, difficult to use, and more versatile launcher.

I think it's pretty fun to fight in Halo 3. An ok timed jump together with the first shot will launch you out of the range of follow-up shots. Several times in Fiesta I've just kept jumping and it has just kept working

• Like (+1) 2

I streamed CE 4v4 the other night and had a run of some of the most fun, close games I've had in months, all in a row. I'll post it here if anyone is interested. It's not super long. The actual 4v4 part of it is like 90min.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 2/3/2021 at 6:32 AM, _Synapse said:

Yes but I mean even more abysmal than usual. XB1's hitting less than 5K players, and PC's hitting less than 9K players. Even with the new season update. 

Where are you getting those stats?

I miss pop counters in lobby...

On 2/3/2021 at 9:28 AM, Knighty Knight said:

I feel this way about Halo 4 and H2A's audio but  I feel like Halo 5 is the best in the franchise. The same can be said for the ridiculous lens flare in H4 and H2A. They toned it down in Halo 5 and its almost to an acceptable level...

HCE textures are so bland that you can easily see players at range which helps make the entire level feel smaller -- you can more quickly see the details of players at range like they were closer to you.

H3 and Reach had the best textures and colors for the balance between quality art and lack of visual noise. The art in H3 has not been surpassed with any Halo title since, and the graphics were well thought out.

H2A art took a big step back while the graphics were enriched with noise. In addition, the lighting dynamic range is excessive. Shrine is the worst - there are many areas that are simply too dark that they slow aim and movement on a map that is otherwise very bright.

H4 graphics were a step back from H3, but the art was the worst of all titles. Those artists were throwing colors around with what appeared to be no real thought.

Reach art was on par with H3, but the colors were more dynamic.

Healthy targets for a modern shooter would include H3 graphics and H3 art to keep the game feeling modern while minimizing visual noise.

Nearly a year since I last read this thread (and god knows when I last booted up MCC). I skimmed through the new pages, and I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway...

Aside from Halo 3's hitreg actually being improved, is the original trilogy in MCC still a busted mess compared to OG?

Assuming I get the answer I'm expecting - Halo was the most popular FPS series on console for a decade, and single-handedly built the Xbox brand. So why has Microsoft given the all-star treatment to f***ing FLIGHT SIMULATOR, but run over its MOST important legacy with a lawnmower?

On 2/13/2021 at 12:22 PM, FarSight XR~20 said:

Nearly a year since I last read this thread (and god knows when I last booted up MCC). I skimmed through the new pages, and I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway...

Aside from Halo 3's hitreg actually being improved, is the original trilogy in MCC still a busted mess compared to OG?

Assuming I get the answer I'm expecting - Halo was the most popular FPS series on console for a decade, and single-handedly built the Xbox brand. So why has Microsoft given the all-star treatment to f***ing FLIGHT SIMULATOR, but run over its MOST important legacy with a lawnmower?

You're right, H3's hitreg is actually decent now, which doesn't really do anything thanks to the stupid ass BR spread, but it's a step in the right direction.

CE and H2 are still ass online, with some of the shittiest hit reg I've ever seen in an online FPS. Both games launched in abysmal states for their MCC PC releases, especially H2 had a hilariously stupid bug where you could shoot the ground in front of you and your bullets would teleport to random players in the game:

remember: "ready when it's ready".

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really haven't had many problems shooting in Halo 2 ever since they "fixed" it except for the sniper. CE though is still pretty bad. It's a lot better than playing OG H2 off-host ever was.

Good luck 4-shotting anybody in H2C off-host lol.

Nah but seriously, H2C shit reg makes it an absolute pain in the ass to play. I'd get much better hit reg on FFA and Doubles customs. 

Allegedly, H2C also still suffers from the same issue that H3 did pre-patch in regards to bullet tickrate. You want to ask the Project Cartographer guys about this. 

• Like (+1) 1

Is anyone randomly having your game freeze, then your xbox shutting off during games? It's happening way more often than I'd like recently. My friend also says he's having the same thing happen and actually got a Series X because he thinks his Xbox is the problem. Only happens when I play MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Is anyone randomly having your game freeze, then your xbox shutting off during games? It's happening way more often than I'd like recently. My friend also says he's having the same thing happen and actually got a Series X because he thinks his Xbox is the problem. Only happens when I play MCC.

Yeah my og xbox one was doing that a few months back before I could just play on a series x/cross play from my PC. Hasn't happened since but that xbox felt like it just couldn't run whatever they did to MCC well anymore. No crashes or anything since

• Upvote (+1) 1