CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

There were no large rooms though, only tight corridors and small rooms. Bungie's issue was that they couldn't get the scale of Halo 1 working with stencil in a way that performed. If you watch the Halo 2 E3 demo the environment, particularly geometry and textures, is sparse and bare. The demo itself chugs hard. It is a huge shame they spent so much time on that engine and how Bungie leadership was so poor.

The levels like "Covenant Ship" which was between Cairo Station and Outskirts (you board the ship and blow up it's reactor in a wraith) were replaced by cutscenes. Game would have been way better with that level.

But they squandered it with poor management. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/31/2020 at 3:22 PM, MrGreenWithAGun said:

I am not trying to say a pistol is a bad skin for the job. I am saying that if you are going to run around a virtual world with different weapons, they should all add to the continuity of the game play, or you break immersion. (Ya, there's that word again - breaking immersion is where your brain realizes something isn't as it should be.)

if you want the pistol to be effective as it is in HCE, then the AR needs to simply go away. It feels so wrong along side the pistol. I love the HCE sniper, its got to be the easiest sniper in the series.

Your entire argument and viewpoint of Halo 1 is built off a broken port of a port on MCC that really plays nothing like the original. The fact that you said the Halo 1 sniper is the easiest in the series is laughable, but excusable if you have never played the original Halo 1. On LAN/OG, the Halo 1 sniper is the hardest sniper in the series and the only sniper in the series with lead. It's not really even an argument either. 

The pistol is supposed to be effective. If you kill someone across the map in a seconds time, they were out of place and in a bad position. They could have done the same to you but they didn't. I will never understand why people continually want to be weaker in Halo. If your idea of fun is holding hands with 3 teammates and teamshooting with a pea shooter BR across the map, then that's your opinion I guess, but I will never understand it. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

8 minutes ago, Twis7ed said:

1. On LAN/OG, the Halo 1 sniper is the hardest sniper in the series and the only sniper in the series with lead. It's not really even an argument either. 

The pistol is supposed to be effective. If you kill

Could this possibly be tied to Idk the controller differences and FPS as well. Play a game on 30fps then play that same game on 60,144,240 and tell me aiming feels the same. I don’t believe sniper is harder because it’s not 1:1 OG, I think it’s easier because of those factors I listed. 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Hooked 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Could this possibly be tied to Idk the controller differences and FPS as well. Play a game on 30fps then play that same game on 60,144,240 and tell me aiming feels the same. I don’t believe sniper is harder because it’s not 1:1 OG, I think it’s easier because of those factors I listed. 

Not biting.
Not biting.
Not biting. 

*takes a long walk*

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Twis7ed said:

Your entire argument and viewpoint of Halo 1 is built off a broken port of a port on MCC that really plays nothing like the original. The fact that you said the Halo 1 sniper is the easiest in the series is laughable, but excusable if you have never played the original Halo 1. On LAN/OG, the Halo 1 sniper is the hardest sniper in the series and the only sniper in the series with lead. It's not really even an argument either. 

The pistol is supposed to be effective. If you kill someone across the map in a seconds time, they were out of place and in a bad position. They could have done the same to you but they didn't. I will never understand why people continually want to be weaker in Halo. If your idea of fun is holding hands with 3 teammates and teamshooting with a pea shooter BR across the map, then that's your opinion I guess, but I will never understand it.

The sniper being easier to use on MCC for you likely has less to do with the CE port being broken, and more to do with things like:

1) Halo CE has axial dead zones of 27% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6YrDvatm2c (go to 3:26 in the video for a source). These dead zones are unnecessarily large and are likely making it more difficult for you to aim on OG CE.

2) Higher frame rates. Pretty self-explanatory, higher refresh rates make it easier to aim in MCC.

3) Better controller. Occasionally I'll turn on my original Xbox to do some super bouncing on H2, and when I do that, I can't help but notice how terrible the joysticks feel compared to my Xbox One controllers. A lot of that is no doubt due to age, but I also think that in the past 20 years we've gotten better at making analog joysticks to play shooters with.

4) Modern aiming settings gets rid of some weird legacy settings in H1-H3 with regards to diagonal acceleration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12MJVxHqZfA (go to 7:19 in the video for a source).

The result of these changes means that the older Halo games feel much easier to aim in than they used to.

So we can finally lower the excessive AA in the newer games? There's really no reason for it outside of AdVanCeD mobility bullshit. 

Hot take: the sniper rifle does to infantry what the Laser does to vehicles; shut down more fun gameplay

• WutFace (+0) 1

32 minutes ago, potetr said:

Hot take: the sniper rifle does to infantry what the Laser does to vehicles; shut down more fun gameplay

Are there any changes that could make the sniper less stifling?  To the weapon itself, the rest of the sandbox, and/or base player traits?  

Would a reduction in the sniper’s scope magnification help?  Would an across the board scope reduction help?  Would short, quick movement abilities like evade or high-jump help infantry move on larger, open maps?  Or how about a transformative armor ability that turns the user into a smaller sphere that can use low cover and unique pathways to travel outside the sight lines of enemy snipers?  

12 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Are there any changes that could make the sniper less stifling?  To the weapon itself, the rest of the sandbox, and/or base player traits?  

Would a reduction in the sniper’s scope magnification help?  Would an across the board scope reduction help?  Would short, quick movement abilities like evade or high-jump help infantry move on larger, open maps?  Or how about a transformative armor ability that turns the user into a smaller sphere that can use low cover and unique pathways to travel outside the sight lines of enemy snipers?  

Make the sniper actually take skill to use and make the utility weapon useful. The sniper being oppressive is just another symptom of the same old problems. Again, notice how the sniper fit nicely into the sandbox in CE and has progressively gotten worse for one or both of those reasons.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, potetr said:

This has more to do with ammo and weak utility rifles. If snipers were limited to their magazine +1 and not +2 in 4v4 modes it'd promote a lot more play, I see no reason to get 12 rounds on a map like Guardian. Or Citadel/Pit even, with 24!

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

Or how about a transformative armor ability that turns the user into a smaller sphere that can use low cover and unique pathways to travel outside the sight lines of enemy snipers?  

Even if this idea fit halo gameplay perfectly, it's just so out of place man. Also, camo.

3 hours ago, stanielstein said:

Make the sniper actually take skill to use and make the utility weapon useful. The sniper being oppressive is just another symptom of the same old problems. Again, notice how the sniper fit nicely into the sandbox in CE and has progressively gotten worse for one or both of those reasons.

Yeah, faster TTK overall would help (what doesn't that improve?), but not fix the underlying issue which is being able to one hit kill from full health.

I play on PC, so there comes along the occasional aiming god. Can't do anything to stop those. It would happen in CE too.

It irks me that even with perfect counterstrategy (e.g. teamwork to keep tabs on the sniper, grenades to take shields before pushing) the sniper can still just kill you. It can even beat a shotgun. It's so different from rockets, which I find fun trying to outplay, and when I fail, it's my fault.

2 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

This has more to do with ammo and weak utility rifles. If snipers were limited to their magazine +1 and not +2 in 4v4 modes it'd promote a lot more play, I see no reason to get 12 rounds on a map like Guardian. Or Citadel/Pit even, with 24!

Word on the ammo. Having 8 rockets would also be oppressive. I wish it was on fewer maps too, so you can have some different experiences and not always avoid long sightlines and open areas. High Ground is annoying when someone has a sniper near the beach area, there's a million places to sit and you stand out like a sore thumb on the wall/tower/bunker.

So overall, mentioned solutions would help a lot, but still, what if ranged power weapons were designed with more counters in mind?

How would you feel about the Sniper getting a six round mag and becoming a two hit kill weapon? Slow stow time so it doesn't become a shield destroyer only. A harder to use railgun would take its place as a hype-generating one hit kill weapon. Perhaps it could have a magazine+heat generation for raised multi kill potential. 

Would be cool if there was a reason to go for headshots with the second bullet though, if only for the aesthetic of it. Headshots could speed up reloading and handling for a few seconds etc.

On 1/13/2021 at 4:46 PM, Twis7ed said:

Your entire argument and viewpoint of Halo 1 is built off a broken port of a port on MCC that really plays nothing like the original. The fact that you said the Halo 1 sniper is the easiest in the series is laughable, but excusable if you have never played the original Halo 1. ...

No need to call my statement laughable. My experience with Halo started with XB360 H3, Reach, then H4. Then I stopped due to not wanting to pay M$ for XB1 and having the frustrations you all experienced with MCC crashing every other minute.

I defected instead to the PC master race and started a new hobby. I just happened to get a steam gift card for Christmas. With MCC only $25, I couldn't resist "trying" HCE and H2 for the first time.

Now you hurt my feelings... not because you call my statement laughable, but because you are telling me I am not really experiencing the true joy of HCE.

Tell me it isn't so.

While CE MCC is the most fun I've ever had playing Halo online since 2005, it's definitely worse than OG/NHE.

• Like (+1) 2

Shooting cross-map on Foundry: Fine

Shooting cross-map on Isolation: Fine

Shooting cross-map on Blackout: doable

Shooting someone sitting Red/Blue nerd on Midship: Impossible

People sitting P3 and in the nerds are slippery as hell and fucking awful to contest. Why is this? The range isn't as far as the above examples. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/15/2021 at 4:59 AM, Aphex Twin said:

Strong utility weapons balance power items. 

343 love overpowered power weapons. Rockets have a 65km explosion radius. The sniper adds a 65km hitbox onto enemy heards. Binary rifle is a one-shot kill rifle that somehow got playtested and then someone thought "yeah ok".

I know Halo 2 has some atrocious weapon balance but 343 had 15 years of console online mutliplayer to look back on and still fucked it.

Fps developers have no excuse for bad weapon balancing. So much has gone wrong over the years that problems should be spotted way in advance. 

• Like (+1) 4

The problem isn't just weapon imbalance or lack of knowledge on their end. It's their whole philosophy that's wack. They think every weapon needs an equal kill count on the post game carnage report. They think adding headshot bonuses to spray n pray weapons with tons of spread magically make them more skillful. Redundancy everywhere, like half the Prometean weapons have tracking now. 

And from what we've seen, Infinites sandbox looks even worse. Why did we need a heavy AR and an autoshotgun again? 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Basu said:

The problem isn't just weapon imbalance or lack of knowledge on their end. It's their whole philosophy that's wack. They think every weapon needs an equal kill count on the post game carnage report. They think adding headshot bonuses to spray n pray weapons with tons of spread magically make them more skillful. Redundancy everywhere, like half the Prometean weapons have tracking now. 

And from what we've seen, Infinites sandbox looks even worse. Why did we need a heavy AR and an autoshotgun again? 

*checks notes*

CoD does it

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Basu said:

It's their whole philosophy that's wack.

^^^^^
Every element of the sandbox should serve a meaningful and distinct gameplay role, while facilitating a learning curve that rewards players who actively invest time to raise their proficiency at the game. 

Weapons like the H3 Sniper rifle are so endlessly fun to use, specifically because they're so difficult to master. 

342 don't and never will understand. They think that when Timmy can walk in and get a killtac with his AR and Needler, that it's good balancing. I don't expect them to change, because a game that Timmy can't pick up and immediately start destroying people at - isn't a game that'll earn them money. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Basu said:

It's not automatic, it just reloads all at once.

2 hours ago, Sitri said:

It's not automatic, it just reloads all at once.

Who knows if you can actually hold down the trigger or if you have to spam it, the E3 demo players are always thumbless af. But it cetainly shoots much faster than the Halo shotgun, has a ton of ammo and looks pretty much exactly like an AA12 with a drum mag (ATTACHMENTS INCOMING :kappa:?).

Tokyo Marui 3000rds Electric Drum Magazine For AA-12/SGR ...https://www.halopedia.org/images/7/70/NERF_CQS48.png

Just another useless redesign no one asked for.

28 minutes ago, Basu said:

Who knows if you can actually hold down the trigger or if you have to spam it, the E3 demo players are always thumbless af. But it cetainly shoots much faster than the Halo shotgun, has a ton of ammo and looks pretty much exactly like an AA12 with a drum mag (ATTACHMENTS INCOMING :kappa:?).

Tokyo Marui 3000rds Electric Drum Magazine For AA-12/SGR ...https://www.halopedia.org/images/7/70/NERF_CQS48.png

Just another useless redesign no one asked for.

one of the most interesting things about the shotgun was the risk/reward reload. you could have a faster reload with less bullets in the tube, or the vice versa. but 343 in 343 fashion always finds a new way to remove depth in gameplay.

I'm planning to give  my nephew one of those though, small and easy to use, and bright colours of course, to the delight of children everywhere.