CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I played a few games of recon slayer last night... holy shit this garbage is not fun at all. I am so tired of weak weapons. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@Boyo Overall, perks wouldn't be an elegant addition. I can't think of anything that is both beneficial and significant enough to add. Powerups and weapons sufficiently cover the design space already.

2 minutes ago, potetr said:

@Boyo Overall, perks wouldn't be an elegant addition. I can't think of anything that is both beneficial and significant enough to add. Powerups and weapons sufficiently cover the design space already.

What about a pick up that enhances melee independent of the equipped weapon?  

I need everyone to stop what they’re doing and go scroll through MCC’s Looking For Group page. Holy shit, I had no idea how much 13yr old clan recruitment kids DOMINATED this aspect of the game. Prepare to cringe.

• WutFace (+0) 1

1 minute ago, Hard Way said:

I need everyone to stop what they’re doing and go scroll through MCC’s Looking For Group page. Holy shit, I had no idea how much 13yr old clan recruitment kids DOMINATED this aspect of the game. Prepare to cringe.

Wasn't between 50-80% of H5's custom browser, at any time, clan recruitment lobbies? 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hootspa said:

I played a few games of recon slayer last night... holy shit this garbage is not fun at all. I am so tired of weak weapons. 

Facts. People get away like crazy in that mode. I don't know how people complain about higher TTK being more forgiving and then prefer the Automag over the BR. 

Like, the BR doesn't have red reticle range limited to 5 meters. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Facts. People get away like crazy in that mode. I don't know how people complain about higher TTK being more forgiving and then prefer the Automag over the BR. 

Like, the BR doesn't have red reticle range limited to 5 meters. 

I disagree heavily with you and Hootspa. The spread and killtime of the BR is really shown for how oppressively awful it is when you get to play with zero spread weaponry. There's a lot more freedom of movement in Recon Slayer because you don't hit part of the burst. 

What it DOES do is show how fucking bad H3's maps are. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

I disagree heavily with you and Hootspa. The spread and killtime of the BR is really shown for how oppressively awful it is when you get to play with zero spread weaponry. There's a lot more freedom of movement in Recon Slayer because you don't hit part of the burst. 

Well I agree h3 maps are bad. Are you saying you think recon slayer (as it is right now) plays well in general though? I’m willing to bet the “freedom of movement” you’re describing is a result of no bullet magnetism past 25 feet rather than br spread or burst fire. 

If I still have the program to mod h3 maps on my pc, I’ll make modded recon slayer map with red reticle range matching the br and put my theory to the test.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

Wasn't between 50-80% of H5's custom browser, at any time, clan recruitment lobbies? 

Mofo it’s still that wat. It’s clam recruiting or assassination only rooms😒.

33 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

Well I agree h3 maps are bad. Are you saying you think recon slayer (as it is right now) plays well in general though? I’m willing to bet the “freedom of movement” you’re describing is a result of no bullet magnetism past 25 feet rather than br spread or burst fire. 

I play with MKB which could be a considerable factor in our differences in experience with the gametype. 

27 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

I play with MKB which could be a considerable factor in our differences in experience with the gametype. 

MKB is 10000x better than controller for Recon Slayer because you don't have to depend on the Automag's nonexistent RRR aim assist to shoot. 

On controller, every gunfight even slightly out of RRR turns into a crapshoot where the guy's going to get away 50% of the time. 

50 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

I play mk too. I made the modded map to match automag settings with br settings and after playing some quick 1v1s with it, I'm torn. I think in a 4v4 the amount of times someone would get away alive would certainly be reduced. It definitely feels more powerful and effective at range, but not by the amount I would have expected. So in that regard, I think you were right. However, regardless of the magnetism settings, 5sk is still hot garbage and I stand by my original comment.

Here is the map incase anyone is interested. I think controller players would notice the biggest difference.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

Any map would be bad when you spawn players with a gun they werent designed around. 

Reach proved the the notion that changing little things about the game can ruin otherwise good maps. Namely, all the anniversary maps, which were not designed around reachs weapon spawns, or the dmr.

8 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Any map would be bad when you spawn players with a gun they werent designed around. 

Reach proved the the notion that changing little things about the game can ruin otherwise good maps. Namely, all the anniversary maps, which were not designed around reachs weapon spawns, or the dmr.

Conversely, I think that maps such as Blackout(I hate it) and Guardian play a lot better due to the automag allowing a player to recover down a shot more easily than when you're down a shot with a BR and just die. 

The automag also has a nice effect where regens are not as stupidly powerful due to each shot being more powerful. Doesn't mean Isolation or The Pit play any better, though. 

Part of the dissatisfaction with using the Automag also has to do with the absolutely shit-tier visual/audio feedback it has. It's bad to the point of being disorienting. 

Seriously, the damn Carbine has better feedback than the Automag. It's hands-down, the worst utility in the series for audiovisual feedback. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Part of the dissatisfaction with using the Automag also has to do with the absolutely shit-tier visual/audio feedback it has. It's bad to the point of being disorienting. 

Seriously, the damn Carbine has better feedback than the Automag. It's hands-down, the worst utility in the series for audiovisual feedback. 

It would defeat the purpose, but even replacing the firing sound with that of the default magnum would go a long way.

• Like (+1) 2

We need to be able to see the bullet in the air. Part of my issue with it is that when I miss, I'm not always sure how to adjust. At least in CE it was really obvious where your shots were landing. The automag has a similarly large reticle with a projectile weapon, but none of the intuitiveness.

• Like (+1) 4

just for curiosity's sake, do you guys prefer the automag to the h3 battle rifle? the weapon is certainly not above criticism and I agree with much of the above posts, however I must admit I prefer the automag to the br in every way that isn't audio/visual related. 

Welp boys it was a good run /s

Halo 4 is the new champ /s

d7c95c63d2b9576f6b43686eee1a5906.png

f5bfdbc446c718835b5e530c9cf4cbd7.png

nah but I'm curious how long this lasts, well probably see it even out soon.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

5 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

just for curiosity's sake, do you guys prefer the automag to the h3 battle rifle? the weapon is certainly not above criticism and I agree with much of the above posts, however I must admit I prefer the automag to the br in every way that isn't audio/visual related. 

I think the automag isn’t really suitable to be a primary starting weapon as it is too weak. Hell, the h3 br is hardly suitable as a starting weapon for also being weak, but at least it’s possible to deal damage at range (even if only for the wrong reasons). I guess in my opinion, a utility weapon that isn’t that can’t easily punish players isn’t a utility weapon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hootspa said:

I think the automag isn’t really suitable to be a primary starting weapon as it is too weak. Hell, the h3 br is hardly suitable as a starting weapon for also being weak, but at least it’s possible to deal damage at range (even if only for the wrong reasons). I guess in my opinion, a utility weapon that isn’t that can’t easily punish players isn’t a utility weapon.

A single bullet is weaker than a BR's burst, but its TTK is faster. The fire recovery time on both weapons is identical, but the Automag doesn't need to wait for a burst to finish.

Seriously I think auto mag should replace plasma pistol on all MLG maps. no one grabs PP anyway and there's usually only one PP per map at max so it cant possibly be OP. 

9 minutes ago, Sitri said:

A single bullet is weaker than a BR's burst, but its TTK is faster. The fire recovery time on both weapons is identical, but the Automag doesn't need to wait for a burst to finish.

I like single fire weapons more too, but the fact is that “harder to use” is the same thing as “weaker” in the context of a halo utility weapon. It doesn’t matter if the automags ttk is however many milliseconds faster than the garbage ttk of the BR. It has less bullet magnetism, less aim assist, shorter max range, and has a lower probability of doing damage to an opponent due to being single shot. 

The issue with halo 3 from the very start has been a weak utility weapon and long drug out kill times. Automag only makes that worse, despite making the shooting more skillful.