CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

So according to Gamstat there are 34K players on MCC PC (windows store), 14K on Xbox and Steamcharts showed 14K on Steam. That's solid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

So according to Gamstat there are 34K players on MCC PC (windows store), 14K on Xbox and Steamcharts showed 14K on Steam. That's solid.

The 30-day average for Steam is 7,700 so I don't know where the hell all these people came from. Is there some kind of event going on?

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

The 30-day average for Steam is 7,700 so I don't know where the hell all these people came from. Is there some kind of event going on?

Halo 4 came out, completing the collection. Input-based matchmaking means newer KB&M players can stand a chance. Region selection means you don't have to play on shit servers if you choose. New skins and shit. Crossplay allows people on different platforms to play again.

All of this probably added to the player count.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Shekkles said:

... there's no way windows store is more popular than steam. is there some promotion going on?

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

... there's no way windows store is more popular than steam. is there some promotion going on?

I have a feeling it is counting Windows Store and Steam combined. Or perhaps all three combined and the total is 34K including Xbox as they all use the same MS service and the api may be pulling from there.

These are solid numbers, definitely higher than H5 for most of its lifespan and higher than H4 two weeks after launch. Is Halo slowly coming back? 🤔 

22 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

I have noticed how few actually play with mkb, though. Easily less than 20%

I'm not sure there is enough population for this... but is it possible that because you're only seeing MKB players who are agreeing to play with controllers, there's a whole other group playing exclusively with/against their MKB brethren? I'm curious if anybody here has changed the input type to play with only MKB? Is there enough population to support it?

15 minutes ago, II AdamanT II said:

I'm not sure there is enough population for this... but is it possible that because you're only seeing MKB players who are agreeing to play with controllers, there's a whole other group playing exclusively with/against their MKB brethren? I'm curious if anybody here has changed the input type to play with only MKB? Is there enough population to support it?

before the cross-platform update recon slayer was at best able to find games during peak hours, searching off those times was a waste of a session. I can now consistently find a game at any time of the day, I haven't searched BTB or social 4v4 since the update so my only metrics are guesstimations on my experiences. I have never encountered a lobby where mkb exceeded controllers, and only a handful at best with even distribution. 

Perhaps tonight I'll try to find games with input filtering on, but I doubt it will stop the current issue of every other game being a blowout. I'm enjoying non-br halo too much at the moment to make this a serious grievance, I wish BTB had recon starts as a gametype though. The Halo 3 experience is so much better without the BR. 

16 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Halo 4 came out, completing the collection.

This is such a non-event to me that I literally forgot it happened.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

I've been playing Halo 4 to get battlepass points to unlock something. Holy god, I'd forgotten how bad this game was. The fact that a perk is needed to pick up grenades is just mindblowing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'd still take it over even TU Reach. The game feels smooth to move and aim in. My shots count. And in Squad Battle, the BS abilities and perks are limited. I don't like sprint, no descope, or perks in general, but that game feels pretty close to high-functioning teamshot Halo to me. It doesn't have equipment. My weapon is reliable. The vehicle balance is pretty decent. The weapon respawn system is logical.  It could be a lot worse.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Perks is such an ass idea.

"Here is a bunch of fun or practical abilities!"

"Cool can't wait to use them all in gameplay!"

"no, pick one"

Not that halo 4's perks were anything but uninspired garbage (see RC's post), born from the customization meme

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only thing halo 4 does better than reach is bloom, in that it doesn't have it. Does that count for something? Sure. Does it outweigh everything else it does worse? Not in my opinion it doesnt.

3 hours ago, potetr said:

Perks is such an ass idea.

"Here is a bunch of fun or practical abilities!"

"Cool can't wait to use them all in gameplay!"

"no, pick one"

Not that halo 4's perks were anything but uninspired garbage (see RC's post), born from the customization meme

H4 perks were terrible for a variety of reasons.  Nerfing a base trait then creating a perk that restores the utility of that trait is shallow, one-dimensional design.  

What if these were the perks instead, which would you choose?  

Bandolier - utility weapon has a bottomless clip 

Radar - motion tracker 

Shield Collar - absorbs one precision headshot while shieldless 

Cloak - crouch and remain stationary to become fully invisible 

Gravity Vest - damage from bodyshots/explosions is reduced by half 

Exaltation - nearby teammates gain 125% damage resistance 

Light Blade - melee an enemy to begin your shield recharge 

FCT - player becomes a first person projectile on death, impacting an enemy kills him and steals his body, one precision shot kills an airborne soul 

1 hour ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Does the H4 BR still sound like a chorus of crickets?

Every weapon sounds terrible. Also, not being able to drop the flag and the introduction of flinch was BAD. That being said - I still really enjoy the experience on PC waaaay more than 360 version

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I'd still take it over even TU Reach. The game feels smooth to move and aim in. My shots count. And in Squad Battle, the BS abilities and perks are limited. I don't like sprint, no descope, or perks in general, but that game feels pretty close to high-functioning teamshot Halo to me. It doesn't have equipment. My weapon is reliable. The vehicle balance is pretty decent. The weapon respawn system is logical.  It could be a lot worse.

I'd rather play v7 Reach over Halo 4 any day. TU Reach is about as bad as Halo 4, they're just bad in different ways.

1 hour ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Does the H4 BR still sound like a chorus of crickets?

Yep. It's utterly terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

What if these were the perks instead, which would you choose?  

Shield Collar is the equivalent of Call of Duty's Juggernaut perk in a game that has no stopping power. Add a teammate with Exaltation and you have created an insanely frustrating experience to play against. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 is shit because you can get the experience it provides better elsewhere. It's a below average game but it's a garbage Halo game.

The more I take the nostalgia goggles off Reach the more I'm inclined to see it, solely from MP POV, as the worst Halo. It's experience can't be had anywhere else but it's also a bad Halo game (imo).

@Boyo do you think those are better for the game than 4's? 

They would result in an annoying, unfair and inconsistent experience when people have different perks. It should be obvious why. Every single one of those perks would make fighting someone with one less fun.

Put them through the test of what happens when every player in a match has the same perk. Does it improve gameplay? No? Then it shouldn't be an option. Yes? Everyone should have it. Don't fall for the customization meme, customization doesn't add depth to moment-to-moment gameplay.

edit: or, it can add depth through asymmetry, but that is better done in other ways. Perks could work as mini-powerups for example.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, potetr said:

They would result in an annoying, unfair and inconsistent experience when people have different perks.

My point was more that perks could be legitimate buffs to already solid base traits rather than going the 343 route of nerfing base traits, like by removing players’ ability to pick up grenades, then adding that ability back via perk.

1 hour ago, potetr said:

it can add depth through assymmetry, but that is better done in other ways. Perks could work as mini-powerups for example.

If perks could be acquired via pick up, what would their duration be?  Short like a power up, longer but still limited, or would they last until death?