CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I'm starting to realize that every Halo game makes for a subpar PC FPS. Movement speeds to low and AA's too high for strafe to actually ever matter, and Infinite's not going to be much better.

Hell, given Infinites F2P nature it'll probably have even more ridiculous aim assist to make it as accessible as possible to try and attract as many whales with all the MTX that shit's going to have. 

On 11/19/2020 at 9:27 PM, Snipe Three said:

I see what you're saying. I wouldn't really know anything about that kind of smurfing. I just make new accounts to play on if the one I'm using stops being able to find matches. I think the kind you're talking about/that they ban for would be the guys that go in and intentionally lose until they're way down in the brackets just to stomp people that can't move and shoot at the same time

Yeah deranking is how people get banned. Making new accounts doesnt really work either though, because the system can tell after just a few games how good a player really is and matches them accordingly.

My honest fix for MCC wouldn't be very popular here but I would just use the Halo 3 1-50. It would work because it put a bit of a cap on the highest visual rank so that you basically were leashed and couldn't get an mmr/level so high that you could just stop matching against competent but maybe not the highest rank players in the game but it was also rather quick to level up in. Usually you'd get to play a game where everyone had a 50 in the MLG playlist back then but if it just wasn't working out they could throw you people in the 40s as well. What happens now is that it takes so long to level up on MCC that once you start getting close to or past 40 you're basically done searching on that account outside of peak hours

This would honestly be great. I love H2 ranks, but with MCCs population, and the frequent resets and new playlists it just doesnt make sense to have such a grindy system in place.

7 hours ago, FireAtWill said:

we are still here like a bunch of lost souls waiting for a good end.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

I'm starting to realize that every Halo game makes for a subpar PC FPS. Movement speeds to low and AA's too high for strafe to actually ever matter, and Infinite's not going to be much better.

Hell, given Infinites F2P nature it'll probably have even more ridiculous aim assist to make it as accessible as possible to try and attract as many whales with all the MTX that shit's going to have. 

As terrible as connections were, I found Custom Edition FFA lobbies pretty fun. 

Halo could easily make for a good PC FPS if the devs hadn't had their heads in their asses for the past 16 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Halo could easily make for a good PC FPS

The sniper is a niche weapon on console because the majority of the population isn’t taking faces on a consistent basis at point blank.  On PC, the sniper becomes a super weapon that can instakill from any range.  No scoping would no longer be a big deal because the weapon would never have aim assist, scoped or unscoped.  I feel like there would have to be design changes to Halo’s sniper if everyone had the accuracy and precision of a mouse.  

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The sniper is a niche weapon on console because the majority of the population isn’t taking faces on a consistent basis at point blank.  On PC, the sniper becomes a super weapon that can instakill from any range.  No scoping would no longer be a big deal because the weapon would never have aim assist, scoped or unscoped.  I feel like there would have to be design changes to Halo’s sniper if everyone had the accuracy and precision of a mouse.  

If the kill times weren’t trash it wouldn’t be nearly as big of an issue. Having days to line up a shot is what makes it so OP on m/k.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Make the sniper a projectile weapon. Combined with a utility that has a quick TTK, the sniper rifle no longer stays as powerful. 

• Like (+1) 3

Slowing the projectile speed would not reduce the effectiveness of CQC sniping with a mouse.  

6 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Slowing the projectile speed would not reduce the effectiveness of CQC sniping with a mouse.  

I think you're overestimating how easy that is. Most issues with MnK sniping is in long range, not short.

I don't think a niche circumstance that benefits M/K players outweighs the benefits of playing with a controller in nearly every other circumstance. This is a difficult series to play with M/K - the players are floaty, the killtimes are long, amazing aim isn't required. The only times M/K players really benefit at all are the medium/long range engagements to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 1

If a projectile sniper is sufficiently difficult for a mouse user, would a controller user stand any chance of being effective with it at long range?  

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

If a projectile sniper is sufficiently difficult for a mouse user, would a controller user stand any chance of being effective with it at long range?  

halo 1 did it just fine. 

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

Realistically, both control schemes interacting is never going to result in perfect balance. Mnk will always have an inherent accuracy advantage, and controller aim assist is technically supposed to imitate that Mnk accuracy as much as possible.

The extra layer of accuracy required to snipe with projectiles at least forces them closer in terms of fairness, without just flat out giving the shot to a Mnk user that they clearly would have in a hitscan environment.

So the answer is both would be effective, Mnk will always have an edge, but controller wouldn't be entirely helpless at range.

I think we're overlooking one part of the equation here: Halo's sniper rifle has an extremely impractical reticle for forcing precision at long ranges. 

The existing reticle is infinitely more forgiving than a point, in theory and in practice. 

There definitely should be a reversion to the HCE reticle. It'd serve to minimize the networking shenanigans that make Halo sniper rifles insanely powerful on MnK. 

the high teens in recon slayer is still the wild west. there's enough people of varying skill levels that the games are almost always one sided. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Obnokshus said:

the high teens in recon slayer is still the wild west. there's enough people of varying skill levels that the games are almost always one sided. 

Try to run at least to2. Just invite the best player from every game. Shit’s a slot machine, man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Avenger said:

Just copped an Xbox Series X from Best Buy. Can't wait to finally change this game's FOV to the max :prayers:

Just wait until you realize how much of a disadvantage playing at high fov puts you compared to default fov boomers.

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Try to run at least to2. Just invite the best player from every game. Shit’s a slot machine, man.

I've already made it to 21, still enjoy playing H3 without a BR. Thought the games would get a bit sweatier but they don't. 

I have noticed how few actually play with mkb, though. Easily less than 20%

On 11/19/2020 at 5:13 AM, Shekkles said:

Your gun shoots where you aim it. I cannot express how important this is to me in a shooting game.

the guns don't shoot straight tho. the h4 br has spread, the h4 dmr has bloom. this is crucial for getting the perfect 4sk br or 5sk dmr. Like seriously just load up a custom game and that shit will cause you to miss on a standing still spartan at the farther distances of RRR unscoped. The only gun that shoots straight is the light rifle and no one uses that gun because it's orange. 

3 hours ago, Hootspa said:

Just wait until you realize how much of a disadvantage playing at high fov puts you compared to default fov boomers.

yeah. Historically the best shooters have been on 80-100 fov and I'm not sure the increased awareness in a 4v4 halo game is going to make up for it. The awareness required in the typical 4v4 isn't that high. It has some places in CE (for example on chillout, you can see double door and os/dark entrance in one of the double door corners in main room if you have like 108 FOV (default split fov)), however you can't on normal. But playing on the pit or midship, that shit is useless

MnK v controller balance is really good in CE. The people who came over from halo PC have definitely been more dominant than the OG console players in regards to shooting. However, they lack like 15 years of meta development so they don't understand how to use the spawn system or the powerup system so they fall short. They can take games on maps like hang em or pris where it's aim heavy, but if they can't prevent you from getting the goods on the other maps, they really struggle at fighting from a disadvantage. 

The shooting is probably better on mnk because the game is designed around controller players missing. In 2+, you're expected to kill your opponent with no extra shots to just 1 extra shot bar connection. In CE, you're expected to do it in like 3 extra shots. Some people 13 shot people on lan with the pistol. When was the last time you saw someone 17 shot someone with a BR on halo 3 lan? Because of this discrepancy, missing once or twice or 6x on mnk isn't the end of the world.