CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

55 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I guarantee one of them would say it’s better than h5 movement because of x reasons 

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You literally asked:

4 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

How is the movement good in CE? 

And are now preemptively complaining that someone will compare one Halo game to another Halo game.

56 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

It’s not denial if they aren’t true.

This is even more exactly what I'm talking about, you asked a question and have already stated you don't believe the answers, none of which even exist yet.

But the fact you can't see any of this means me explaining it is redundant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You literally asked:

And are now preemptively complaining that someone will compare one Halo game to another Halo game.

This is even more exactly what I'm talking about, you asked a question and have already stated you don't believe the answers, none of which even exist yet.

But the fact you can't see any of this means me explaining it is redundant.

It’s because the answers they’ll give make no sense. The movement in every halo honestly post CE is more fluid and consistent and responsive than CE. This is because it’s old and it’s technical limitations. Heck’s crouching isn’t even good in that. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

7 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I thought about this and I will say the following:

- The art. The more I think about this, the more I don't really like the art style of Reach. However, the artists really nailed the aesthetics within the art. New Alexandria in particular is stunning.

- The music. Marty hits it for 6 as usual.

- That's about it. Really. The more I think about it, the more I realise that I really do not like Reach.

I think Reach's art style only really works IN Reach itself. Since its campaign is a big downer story about how everyone dies at the end just to preserve a little bit of hope for the future. So, having a more militaristic, gritty style makes sense in that context. Or even in the context of the older Halo books where you really got the impression that Humanity was constantly on the losing end of the fight, and it took extreme sacrifices just to make the tiniest bit of progress. But even then, I wouldn't really say its a style that fits the tone of the original trilogy.

It's why it really annoys me that the Reach AR is in Infinite, but the Battle Rifle is clearly inspired by the likes of H2A. And then you have the new Brute weapons that are comically blocky and simplistic, which just doesn't gel well with the weirdly overly tacticool human weapons.

While my opinion of Reach and its campaign has soured a bit after playing it again on MCC, I think it still does plenty of things well enough. It features probably my favorite iterations of the Hunters, who manage to remain challenging while also not having an easily exploitable weakness, like how in CE they will die to a single pistol shot, or in 3/ODST all it takes is two stickies. And in ODST especially, when you can have 6 stickies, thats no tall order. I also kinda like Skirmishers as a land-based version of drones, since they provide a similar experience of being swarmed by a quick moving but weak enemy, but are a bit more predictable and easier to hit thanks to being grounded. Oh, and while this may sound controversial, I do like the Focus Rifle being the Covenant sniper rifle over the Beam Rifle. While its obviously not as powerful in the player's hands, the Focus Rifle at least means that sniper jackals the player hasnt spotted yet don't get free massive damage the moment the player comes into their sight line. Being the CE purist that I am, I never really enjoyed Covenant having hitscan weapons, but at least the Focus Rifle means that the enemy sniper doesn't do full damage instantly.

I also really like your custom Spartan being used in all aspects of the game. Definitely made its unlock system even better since you got more out of it regardless of what mode of play you preferred. And while this only sounds impressive because of the 343 games, can we take a moment to appreciate that Reach came out with Forge World and Firefight at launch?

My game glitched I think.. I was playing team slayer and after the game, my rank just got reset lmaoooo im back to a Private. 

I remember this being a problem at launch too but with the number ranks. Made me so unmotivated after the 3rd time I got reset to a level 1.

343 holds another L can't even program ranks to stick :laughing:

• WutFace (+0) 1

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Halo 2 has the best movement in the franchise cmv

Halo 3 supposedly has identical movement values but the slower bullets and camera view make it seem worse. Not entirely sure but 2 feels the best in any case.

50 minutes ago, AlphaBenson said:

I think Reach's art style only really works IN Reach itself. Since its campaign is a big downer story about how everyone dies at the end just to preserve a little bit of hope for the future. So, having a more militaristic, gritty style makes sense in that context. Or even in the context of the older Halo books where you really got the impression that Humanity was constantly on the losing end of the fight, and it took extreme sacrifices just to make the tiniest bit of progress. But even then, I wouldn't really say its a style that fits the tone of the original trilogy.

It's why it really annoys me that the Reach AR is in Infinite, but the Battle Rifle is clearly inspired by the likes of H2A. And then you have the new Brute weapons that are comically blocky and simplistic, which just doesn't gel well with the weirdly overly tacticool human weapons.

While my opinion of Reach and its campaign has soured a bit after playing it again on MCC, I think it still does plenty of things well enough. It features probably my favorite iterations of the Hunters, who manage to remain challenging while also not having an easily exploitable weakness, like how in CE they will die to a single pistol shot, or in 3/ODST all it takes is two stickies. And in ODST especially, when you can have 6 stickies, thats no tall order. I also kinda like Skirmishers as a land-based version of drones, since they provide a similar experience of being swarmed by a quick moving but weak enemy, but are a bit more predictable and easier to hit thanks to being grounded. Oh, and while this may sound controversial, I do like the Focus Rifle being the Covenant sniper rifle over the Beam Rifle. While its obviously not as powerful in the player's hands, the Focus Rifle at least means that sniper jackals the player hasnt spotted yet don't get free massive damage the moment the player comes into their sight line. Being the CE purist that I am, I never really enjoyed Covenant having hitscan weapons, but at least the Focus Rifle means that the enemy sniper doesn't do full damage instantly.

I also really like your custom Spartan being used in all aspects of the game. Definitely made its unlock system even better since you got more out of it regardless of what mode of play you preferred. And while this only sounds impressive because of the 343 games, can we take a moment to appreciate that Reach came out with Forge World and Firefight at launch?

Thought I was the only one who thinks the gun design in infinite is all over the place. The reach assault rifle is a utilitarian twist on an impractical yet stylish weapon from before polygons were invented. The br is just the old br but with more lines and 1913 rails in certain places. Plus the commando just looks stupid. Covenant weapons are once again boring yet oddly human. Thats the last thing those weapons should feel like.

Also I have to say that reach and odst in particular have been more fun for me since I've been playing them on pc. Frankly every game has been great fun for me except halo 2 (haven't gotten that one yet) since I've revisited them. I've said before that halo 2 is my least favorite game of the bungie collection overall. At least to play. I like its story and characters for the most part, I just think it's level design sucks. 3 will always be my favorite for having the best balanced single player between the story, characters and gameplay.

• Like (+1) 1

The decision to use the Reach AR and the Sidekick in Halo Infinite totally baffles me.

Like what the fuck 343 you literally created the best looking versions of both the AR and Magnum in Halo 5 and you dropped them for the most controversial AR design and a fucking Hi-Point.

• Fire (+1) 2

On 11/19/2020 at 3:01 PM, Aphex Twin said:

Is there a consensus on which game had worse strafing - H3 vs Reach? 

Reach has the worse strafe, but it's also got a single shot utility weapon so I guess that puts it above H3. 

The reason why people find H2 movement to be much smoother and faster than HCE/H3 despite all of them having the same BMS/Strafe Acceleration values, is because each of the games interpolate the change in player velocity before reaching max speed, differently. That's why your strafe feels so effective in H2, because it actually has the lowest average player impulse (drop in momentum) whilst strafing. Another fun fact: 

When your SPARTAN changes direction mid strafe, there is actually no instant in time where your SPARTAN has zero velocity, contrary to what I originally thought. This is true for all the Bungie games and I think Halo 4. 

Imagine:

• 150% H3 BMS

• 100 FOV on Console

• Ultra-high strafe acceleration curves for all levels of player velocity (Think Quake LG battles)

• 110% H3 Jump Height

• Crouch-jumping, Spring/Scoreboard jumping, Ghost Ledging, and all other types of jumps being designed for carefully and implemented in game. 

It'd be incredible. Imagine the amount of skill that'd go into a CE pistol gunfight with movement like this. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I personally dislike placement matches. H5 had like 5 ranked lists on launch. I like variety, so I had to play 50 placements a season just to get my "expected rank" in each list. There isn't enough time in the day to grind out the lists to reach your actual rank before a reset. And in all honesty, it seemed pointless anyways. In season 1 I am champ/onyx. Season 2, I play my 50 placements. Yay I am Onyx again. Essentially played 50 games for no reason whatsoever.. I earned no progress, it was like doing chores. 

H3's rank system was easily exploitable by derankers that just about everyone knows about.  But most didn't know if you had a to4 play every single game together never deviating from the group, you could slow your progress in rank to a halt. If the game expects you to win 100%, you don't gain much towards your rank. I watched a to4 on HaloCharts put together something like 500+ consecutive Ranked wins and they were I believe in the 20-30 range. 

Just took a quick look.. one of them had 648 straight wins. In approximately 200 consecutive wins, they went from 14 to 18. 

I am ok with the 1-50 ranking, but the system needs to accelerate your rank based on performance. If our team of 1's matches a team of 20's and we win.. we are not level 2's. Show immediate reward for people's time and effort, and you'll keep people around. We use to do manual checks for derankers/boosters on HC. I'm sure a competent company could have a ban system in place to prevent it going forward. Maybe someday. 

Also I forgot how much H4 sucked.. but at least the skin incentive is a reason to keep people interested in playing/trying to grind MCC. 

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

NO QUESTION

Wet em up no less than, 

50 shots in his direction.  

I was playing H4 when my holo-scope started to float away...

the other one flew off screen 2 seconds before I caught this one

98a32b8a8419338709aecaccc64797f5.jpg

how it should look

2329473-h4_campaign_forerunner_firstpers

You know whats funny? I was playing reach on legendary concurrently with doom eternal dlc and I straight up stopped playing it to focus on Reach. The dlc is just 3 really long and really boring levels that rail road you to death. 

Whats also funny is that back in 2016 I was seriously worried how halo would compete with something like the new doom but now I'm not so sure its a big issue.

Then again 343 is Brain Dead Inc. Soooooo

Anyone wanna throw me an mcc pc code so I will play halo with crossplay cause fuck paying for xbox live anymore 

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

You know whats funny? I was playing reach on legendary concurrently with doom eternal dlc and I straight up stopped playing it to focus on Reach. The dlc is just 3 really long and really boring levels that rail road you to death. 

Whats also funny is that back in 2016 I was seriously worried how halo would compete with something like the new doom but now I'm not so sure its a big issue.

Then again 343 is Brain Dead Inc. Soooooo

Are you playing the DLC on Xbox by any chance?

8 hours ago, Hootspa said:

That sounds annoying af to play if you’re using a controller tbh

The scaled up BMS isn't entirely necessary but it makes for absolutely incredible strafing. It actually starts to take skill to land every single shot, and missing shots becomes more common than hitting shots among mid-skill level players. 

Modern Halo's gonna be played at 144FPS with modern aim settings, MKB, elite controllers, with ideally perfect netcode, and tracer projectiles. I feel like simply copypasting Halo CE's/Halo 2's movement into a newer title would make it too easy to shoot. 

• Thonking (+0) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Nope. Why?

Just wondering, because I wouldn't want to imagine it playing with a controller. I liked the difficulty; it felt much more fair than the typical Halo game on legendary. But I do agree that each level just drags on for too long.

7 minutes ago, Sitri said:

Just wondering, because I wouldn't want to imagine it playing with a controller. I liked the difficulty; it felt much more fair than the typical Halo game on legendary. But I do agree that each level just drags on for too long.

Honestly, if you play Doom Eternal on Xbox, a controller with paddles is absolutely necessary to make sure you can access all your shit without taking your thumbs off the analog sticks.

26 minutes ago, AlphaBenson said:

Honestly, if you play Doom Eternal on Xbox, a controller with paddles is absolutely necessary to make sure you can access all your shit without taking your thumbs off the analog sticks.

I don't even know if that's enough. I had a difficult time even trying to set my binds on a keyboard.

3 hours ago, Sitri said:

I played all of doom eternal with a gamepad. I only play online games with a m&kb for obvious reasons. Or games that don't support controllers.

37 minutes ago, Landonio said:

The brutally honest truth about 343 & Halo

I would love to see a full documentary that goes through everything 343 has done. A three hour long horror movie with all their mistakes and lies and broken promises attacking the screen like zombies. A never ending massacre of the best franchise and the big mystery is why Microsoft still allows it. I don´t know if 3 hours is enough, maybe a Netflix miniseries.

And the plot twist is that 343 are some kind of an advanced psychological testbed funded by PSYOP.

I mean, we are still here like a bunch of lost souls waiting for a good end. They are probably monitoring our behavior. 

• Like (+1) 4