Jump to content
CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Ranked incentives are a great thing for MCC, even today. Unless you want a completely dead ranked scene, everyone should be on board with that.
Issues arise because:

1. Low population in ranked. The incentive helps alleviate this, but it has to overcome years of inertia of people having no reason to play ranked. Also, the in-game messaging about the reward could use some serious work. I bet most players don’t even know about it. But, from my experience, match times in Recon have been  perfectly fine, so this isn’t an issue.

Skill gating: Some people will never be good enough to get this skin. Now, ordinarily I’d be fine with this. I know I’m never gonna get the Gears 5 skins for hitting Master. It’s okay. However, this is a new thing for MCC and Halo in general. This one should be more accessible to more people. It should be an *effort* gate. Not a skill gate. The simple fix of changing it from “Hit rank 20” to “Win 30 games” would solve everything.

Also, ordinarily hitting 20 wouldn’t be shit. I haven’t played a ton of Recon, H3 isn’t my best game, and I’m comfortably at 19. Now, I’ve had loads of challenging games, but I place that squarely on the low population only attracting sweaties. If you can manage to get a bigger slice of the overall population into ranked, Rank 20 would be as reasonable as it should be. But because it’s mostly attracting sweaties and discouraging casuals, it’s artificially challenging.

I say a cool idea would be win 5 ranked game’s in a row. It’s a lot more difficult than it seems. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

That is EXACTLY how those conversations have gone. Literally.  In my actual life with friends that pick up Halo these days only occasionally.  Most of which gave up on Halo 5 shortly after release because it was simply too cumbersome to play unless you did it all the time or had a controller with paddles (but that's the definition of a dead horse around here...).  I think we also tend to overestimate the proportion of people that for any game play ranked and intimately know the systems.  Most people simple don't and don't give a shit, and someone who plays and gives a shit about their ranked performance in one game may not for others.  All of those system have little differences. Some don't have as many intermediary ranks or "Onyx" or "Champion". There is no reason to do something just because other games do it in this regard at all. Especially with how dead easy the 1-50 representation is to understand.  And its decidedly "Halo".  Halo players still have much more of a connection to that representation than what Halo 5 did. New players that care about ranked would have literally 0 adjustment period.  Plenty of casuals won't give a shit either way. Make Halo 50 Again.

 

Disclaimer: regardless of what they do, this is like a 1/10 level issue. I mostly want 1-50 representation back because there was absolutely no reason to change it in the first place. Its decidedly "Halo" and its the easiest rank system to understand when you have no prior knowledge. List of priorities, its close to the bottom (with black undersuits and playable elites lol). If the game is actually good, people will play regardless. I just think it was a dumbass, unnecessary thing to change in the first place.

I'll only accept 1-50 if it comes with seasonal resets and placements matches. The current 1-50 sucks balls by chucking everyone in the same MM pool at the beginning of any new playlist. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm super happy Reach Anniversary is now an option. Though its weird that its only for 4v4, and not for BTB. I also don't know if I'm super late in noticing this, since I haven't really touched the multiplayer side of MCC in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Hootspa said:

There is something seriously weird with shooting in h3. In other games with projectile bullet simulation, it’s possible to really get a sense of how fast the bullet is moving and how much you need to lead your shot. In h3 recon slayer, I have absolutely no idea how much I’m supposed to lead.
In apex when I’m shooting I really have a strong sense of how the bullets are traveling in virtual space. In h3, specifically recon slayer, at my best effort all I can do is picture some sort of quantum probability field around my target where some reticle locations tend to hit more often than others. 

I cannot believe i'm saying this, but the br handles the quantum probability field better because of the burst. There are games where the pistol/carbine are lasers, there are games where i'm consistently a shot behind, and there are games where no amount of understanding allows me to figure out the shots. 

 

Even halo custom edition did it better. A beep when a shot registers. On what is probably one of the worst netcodes ever implemented

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

I'll only accept 1-50 if it comes with seasonal resets and placements matches. The current 1-50 sucks balls by chucking everyone in the same MM pool at the beginning of any new playlist. 

Right. Thats what I want, classic numbering UI, modern architecture. Placements, smurf detection, seasons, party matching, the whole shebang.  Frankly, the fact that they haven't done this in MCC is a travesty.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Right. Thats what I want, classic numbering UI, modern architecture. Placements, smurf detection, seasons, party matching, the whole shebang.  Frankly, the fact that they haven't done this in MCC is a travesty.

How would smurf detection be possible? 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

How would smurf detection be possible? 

you just flip the switch. ok jokes aside it's not hard. If lxthul suddenly starting dropping games to people with a much lower mmr, than he's smurfing to get easier games. Likewise if lxthul signs off 1 account, then another account logs on that's level1 and goes +50, welp... Or again if an account is going positive against pros but also going negative vs scrubs, it's a smurf account. If you go -20 10 games in a row then all of a sudden go +50 the next game, it's obv a smurf. 

 

The hard part is making it so 100% of smurfs get banned, instead of something like 95% of smurfs getting banned. Still, a 95% rate would improve the situation an infinite amount compared to the current 0%

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, Riddler said:

you just flip the switch. ok jokes aside it's not hard. If lxthul suddenly starting dropping games to people with a much lower mmr, than he's smurfing to get easier games. Likewise if lxthul signs off 1 account, then another account logs on that's level1 and goes +50, welp... Or again if an account is going positive against pros but also going negative vs scrubs, it's a smurf account. If you go -20 10 games in a row then all of a sudden go +50 the next game, it's obv a smurf. 

 

The hard part is making it so 100% of smurfs get banned, instead of something like 95% of smurfs getting banned. Still, a 95% rate would improve the situation an infinite amount compared to the current 0%

 

 

That’s not the best solution since people easily could come out and say it just a lucky game, or it wasn’t then playing that account. I think a good way to prevent smurfing Is two accounts MAX. Make it so on steam the first Xbox account is tied to the steam account so they can’t just switch accounts. Sorry if your family has 3-5 accounts “tuff”! 

Share this post


Link to post

How would you guys feel if Halo adopted an Apex Legends title card system, where players can pick or choose various stats or accomplishments that they wish to show off?

I feel that if we went a seasonal 1-50 rank route, we'd need a way to show-off such things in order to not feel invalidated every reset. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Ugug said:

Is reach anniversary permanent now or will they rotate it out like grifball or fiesta?

Rotational. Every mode with a gold icon rotates out after a week.

Share this post


Link to post

They should only have 4 ranked playlists:

Halo 1 2v2
Halo 2/2A mixed Hardcore
Halo 3 Hardcore
Halo 3 Team Slayer

Then a rotational monthly playlist. Just because of population, this is all that's needed.

Also, gg's @Hard Way you salty bastard.

Finally: I like Halo 4 more than (Vanilla) Reach. It has it's flaws, and they are some big, big flaws but my gun shoots where I aim it.

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Fire (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Finally: I like Halo 4 more than (Vanilla) Reach. It has it's flaws, and they are some big, big flaws but my gun shoots where I aim it.

^^^^^

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

They should only have 4 ranked playlists:

Halo 1 2v2
Halo 2/2A mixed Hardcore
Halo 3 Hardcore
Halo 3 Team Slayer

Then a rotational monthly playlist. Just because of population, this is all that's needed.

Also, gg's @Hard Way you salty bastard.

Finally: I like Halo 4 more than (Vanilla) Reach. It has it's flaws, and they are some big, big flaws but my gun shoots where I aim it.

Exactly what I've been saying ever since H4 came out. Vanilla Reach is EASILY the worst Halo experience of all the games. 

  • Like (+1) 8
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

There is no fixing smurfs in Halo as we know it. You either allow that to happen so that people with ranks can actually find games whenever they want to play by getting on their other account or you open up the skill matching so much that games are trash anyways. The end result is the same. Good players playing against people worse than them. There is no clever solution when the actual problem is that almost nobody is playing the game and the only viable solution is diluting skill based matching in the playlist so that you can find people to play with.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

There is no fixing smurfs in Halo as we know it. You either allow that to happen so that people with ranks can actually find games whenever they want to play by getting on their other account or you open up the skill matching so much that games are trash anyways. The end result is the same. Good players playing against people worse than them. There is no clever solution when the actual problem is that almost nobody is playing the game and the only viable solution is diluting skill based matching in the playlist so that you can find people to play with.

Facts.

According to steamcharts there's 24k people on MCC PC.

According to gamestat there are 11K people on MCC Xbox.

It won't last but 35K would be a sustainable ecosystem until Infinite if it held. 

Share this post


Link to post

So like, do gametypes save locally or something? I finally finished downloaded MCC on my Series X and loaded up customs, but all of my gametypes were gone. I assumed they'd be on the cloud along with everything else :mj:

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Landonio said:

Exactly what I've been saying ever since H4 came out. Vanilla Reach is EASILY the worst Halo experience of all the games. 

Halo 4 might not be the worst halo experience but its hardly a halo experience to begin with. 

But to actually add to this, I'd rather play default reach then 4. Call me crazy but bloom, as aids as it is, doesn't ruin the game for me.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

There is no fixing smurfs in Halo as we know it. You either allow that to happen so that people with ranks can actually find games whenever they want to play by getting on their other account or you open up the skill matching so much that games are trash anyways. The end result is the same. Good players playing against people worse than them. There is no clever solution when the actual problem is that almost nobody is playing the game and the only viable solution is diluting skill based matching in the playlist so that you can find people to play with.

It works in H5. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Landonio said:

Exactly what I've been saying ever since H4 came out. Vanilla Reach is EASILY the worst Halo experience of all the games. 

This honestly why I wish Reach Anniversary was just the default Reach experience. Clearly, the game wants you to remember CE whenever you look at it, so it's only fitting that we get the 3 shot Magnum and no armor abilities. And if the bloom is still pretty bad on the Magnum, at least a 3 shot kill means the reticule doesn't expand as much just to finish off one dude.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AlphaBenson said:

This honestly why I wish Reach Anniversary was just the default Reach experience. Clearly, the game wants you to remember CE whenever you look at it, so it's only fitting that we get the 3 shot Magnum and no armor abilities. And if the bloom is still pretty bad on the Magnum, at least a 3 shot kill means the reticule doesn't expand as much just to finish off one dude.

I think they changed the gametype slightly, the Magnum won't bloom out at max rof, which seems to be slower than the base game. Anniversary is weird because it's much easier to crush randoms especially with a good teammate. The skill gap makes it really hard for newer players to get essentially any kills. But yet, the game feels more random because of the Magnum's high amount of spread.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay in what world is Vanilla Halo 4 more fun than Vanilla Reach?

Yeah, Reach has Bloom and armour abilities, but Halo 4 has custom loadouts, perks, armour abilities, random power weapons, kill streaks, flinch instead of descope and also a Flagnum you can't juggle, oh and also sprint. Yeah your gun shoots straight in Halo 4, but every fucking gun in that game is piss easy to use, I gotta actually try to miss. It does have a really low melee lunge range though which is like, the one thing it does better than 2,3 and Reach. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Okay in what world is Vanilla Halo 4 more fun than Vanilla Reach?

Yeah, Reach has Bloom and armour abilities, but Halo 4 has custom loadouts, perks, armour abilities, random power weapons, kill streaks, flinch instead of descope and also a Flagnum you can't juggle, oh and also sprint. Yeah your gun shoots straight in Halo 4, but every fucking gun in that game is piss easy to use, I gotta actually try to miss. It does have a really low melee lunge range though which is like, the one thing it does better than 2,3 and Reach. 

Your gun shoots where you aim it. I cannot express how important this is to me in a shooting game.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Your gun shoots where you aim it. I cannot express how important this is to me in a shooting game.

 

 

Understandable priority, as I think Halo 3 is massively overrated and is kind of dogshit with its random BR spread and its paintball gun projectile speed, but straight shooting guns in Halo 4 doesn't nearly make up for all the other bullshit IMO, especially when, and I say this as someone who despises Bloom, you can still technically shoot straight.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Shekkles said:

They should only have 4 ranked playlists:

Halo 1 2v2
Halo 2/2A mixed Hardcore
Halo 3 Hardcore
Halo 3 Team Slayer

Then a rotational monthly playlist. Just because of population, this is all that's needed.

Also, gg's @Hard Way you salty bastard.

Finally: I like Halo 4 more than (Vanilla) Reach. It has it's flaws, and they are some big, big flaws but my gun shoots where I aim it.

Swap out 2A for Reach Hardcore instead. No point putting 2A in ranked if the vastly superior 2C exists, especially with 2A's shit map pool.

  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.