CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

48 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Bro as if anyone in the comp community actually wants to fucking play ranked, 6v6 Halo 4 with vehicles, especially with MCC's low-pop and shit ranking system. 

Ranked Challenges would've been cooler 8 months ago when the game actually had the population to sustain the ranked playlists. As it stands, there's way too much shit out of your control with this challenge before you even get into a game for them to be fun challenges. Hell, some regions can't even compete in ranked because the lowest ping they're going to get is 200. Yeah, have fun trying to win on 200 ping lol. 

Yeah low pop sucks, but at least these challenges give incentive to actually search ranked. Players need more incentive. And to the players that grind this out, good on them. H4 kids now have something to show. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Yeah low pop sucks, but at least these challenges give incentive to actually search ranked. Players need more incentive. And to the players that grind this out, good on them. H4 kids now have something to show. 

To be fair this would be more appropriate for halo infinite a game that’ll be highly populated for several reasons 

1. Free to play

2. The halo name

3. Cross play

4. Streamers

5. It’s a new/modern game/halo

these reasons will guarantee the ranked modes are populated and if the ranking is the h5 version whom I suspect it’ll be easier to find games. 

16 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

To be fair this would be more appropriate for halo infinite a game that’ll be highly populated for several reasons 

1. Free to play

2. The halo name

3. Cross play

4. Streamers

5. It’s a new/modern game/halo

these reasons will guarantee the ranked modes are populated and if the ranking is the h5 version whom I suspect it’ll be easier to find games. 

I agree ranked challenges would be way more appropriate in a high pop game. But for MCC what's the alternative? Have zero ranked incentives and keep ranked dead forever? That doesn't sound like a very good plan. I think they're just experimenting to see if this encourages people to play ranked.

• Like (+1) 2

People don't have to search ranked if they don't want it. The recon slayer challenege was the only reason I picked up MCC after 2 months of no play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What's the requirement, 25? Which is average if you're talking about the game in general, but is a different story if it's Ranked. The line for average will be vastly different than say, Slayer for example. I feel like they picked 25 in ranked as the reward line without accounting for the "actual" average, if rewarding the average player was the intent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you would have told me in 2012 that they're adding in game ranks to H4 but people would complain because they have to get a 25 to earn a cool lil skin I would have said yeah you're goddamn right because when you create, support and only foster a culture of entitled babies in your community this is the response you're going to get.  If you have a genuine problem with the ranked playlist incentives I hope whatever device you play Halo on explodes.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

Here's a neat little nugget of information.

It's estimated only about 300-ish people have got the Avalanche Sniper skin from Recon Slayer. That's a nice number of exclusive rewards for say, reaching 40+ in ranked.

But uhh.... The goal is Rank 20. Out of a max of 50. So either, there's fuck all people playing ranked and therefore the goal of getting more people into ranked hasn't worked... or MCC's ranking system is dogshit and makes the actual ranked grind complete and total aids? 

Ranked Challenges/rewards would be great if MCC had a functional Ranked system in place. The current one is dogshit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

16 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Here's a neat little nugget of information.

It's estimated only about 300-ish people have got the Avalanche Sniper skin from Recon Slayer. That's a nice number of exclusive rewards for say, reaching 40+ in ranked.

But uhh.... The goal is Rank 20. Out of a max of 50. So either, there's fuck all people playing ranked and therefore the goal of getting more people into ranked hasn't worked... or MCC's ranking system is dogshit and makes the actual ranked grind complete and total aids? 

Ranked Challenges/rewards would be great if MCC had a functional Ranked system in place. The current one is dogshit. 

I felt like I was a 50 at level 25 in Hardcore so maybe the ranks are just super shit cause the pop is super low. Anything above that requires a TO4. 

Can you still not center your reticle on console or am I just missing it in the settings? 

Population is noticeably higher with cross-play (also sweatier). 

• Like (+1) 1

64c229920af71e1f9dc39685208c489e.png

Damn h4 launch did better than I thought... It's better than the average 9k players I thought would happen

also wtf happened in september that gave us a ton of twitch views?

3cd737521deeb2b8ebf7da30c5138e82.png

OHHH WAS IT THAT BUDLIGHT CHALLENGE THING? or something? the one where TimTheTatMan got snip3down? playing against shroud and all them?

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be opposed to 343 revamping the ranking system. The Halo 2 ranks are nostalgic to me, but if it has to be done :(

2 hours ago, Sitri said:

Time-gated unlocks are stupid always.

I say this is how you get people to play your and game and purchase mtx. 

There is something seriously weird with shooting in h3. In other games with projectile bullet simulation, it’s possible to really get a sense of how fast the bullet is moving and how much you need to lead your shot. In h3 recon slayer, I have absolutely no idea how much I’m supposed to lead.
In apex when I’m shooting I really have a strong sense of how the bullets are traveling in virtual space. In h3, specifically recon slayer, at my best effort all I can do is picture some sort of quantum probability field around my target where some reticle locations tend to hit more often than others. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hootspa said:

There is something seriously weird with shooting in h3. In other games with projectile bullet simulation, it’s possible to really get a sense of how fast the bullet is moving and how much you need to lead your shot. In h3 recon slayer, I have absolutely no idea how much I’m supposed to lead.
In apex when I’m shooting I really have a strong sense of how the bullets are traveling in virtual space. In h3, specifically recon slayer, at my best effort all I can do is picture some sort of quantum probability field around my target where some reticle locations tend to hit more often than others. 

Apex has very good visualisation of the projectiles. You can always see them because they shoot slightly up then dip down. It's good aesthetic design.

Battlefield kind of lets you see the bullets as they fly. Im basing that off of 3 which was the last one I played though.

Halo 4 is a weird mix of refinement and total caveman backwardness.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

I wouldn't be opposed to 343 revamping the ranking system. The Halo 2 ranks are nostalgic to me, but if it has to be done :(

This is an argument I have been making forever.  The Halo 2/3 ranking system both from nostalgia and actual modern visual utility is gold with how it represents your skill and how it appears to progress over time.  HOWEVER, that doesn't' mean it shouldn't be updated with modern conveniences like placement matches and "50+" designations for upper-echelon players with CSR, master, grandmaster tiers.  They should 100% do this with MCC. The simple addition of even 5 placement matches could make finding games in ranked easier for players that didn't get in on the level grinding early. Keep the actual visual ranks exactly the same. win/win.

Halo 3 conversation:

1- "Whats your rank?"

2- "45"

1- "Oh nice not bad."

Halo 5 conversation:

1- "What's your rank?"

2- "Diamond 2"

1- "How good is that?"

2- "Its like, better than platinum but worse than onyx?"

1- "ok..."

2- "Its equivalent to a 45-48"

1- "OH, not bad"

10 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Apex has very good visualization of the projectiles. You can always see them because they shoot slightly up then dip down. It's good aesthetic design.

Also realistic.  Not that realism matters, but its a good reference if it affects the game in a positive way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

I agree ranked challenges would be way more appropriate in a high pop game. But for MCC what's the alternative? Have zero ranked incentives and keep ranked dead forever? That doesn't sound like a very good plan. I think they're just experimenting to see if this encourages people to play ranked.

Well tbh yeah. People in current don’t want to play rank because currently rank is failing to get the balanced matches they desire and our promised by playing rank. The team balance is god awful. 

• Like (+1) 3

Ranked incentives are a great thing for MCC, even today. Unless you want a completely dead ranked scene, everyone should be on board with that.
Issues arise because:

1. Low population in ranked. The incentive helps alleviate this, but it has to overcome years of inertia of people having no reason to play ranked. Also, the in-game messaging about the reward could use some serious work. I bet most players don’t even know about it. But, from my experience, match times in Recon have been  perfectly fine, so this isn’t an issue.

Skill gating: Some people will never be good enough to get this skin. Now, ordinarily I’d be fine with this. I know I’m never gonna get the Gears 5 skins for hitting Master. It’s okay. However, this is a new thing for MCC and Halo in general. This one should be more accessible to more people. It should be an *effort* gate. Not a skill gate. The simple fix of changing it from “Hit rank 20” to “Win 30 games” would solve everything.

Also, ordinarily hitting 20 wouldn’t be shit. I haven’t played a ton of Recon, H3 isn’t my best game, and I’m comfortably at 19. Now, I’ve had loads of challenging games, but I place that squarely on the low population only attracting sweaties. If you can manage to get a bigger slice of the overall population into ranked, Rank 20 would be as reasonable as it should be. But because it’s mostly attracting sweaties and discouraging casuals, it’s artificially challenging.

3 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

It should be an *effort* gate. Not a skill gate.

You filthy fucking casual.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

It should be an *effort* gate. Not a skill gate. The simple fix of changing it from “Hit rank 20” to “Win 30 games” would solve everything.

This is fair. Get people to actually play ranked before you put number requirements to it. The population is so low now that I was matching 50s when in a single-digit rank.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

This is an argument I have been making forever.  The Halo 2/3 ranking system both from nostalgia and actual modern visual utility is gold with how it represents your skill and how it appears to progress over time.  HOWEVER, that doesn't' mean it shouldn't be updated with modern conveniences like placement matches and "50+" designations for upper-echelon players with CSR, master, grandmaster tiers.  They should 100% do this with MCC. The simple addition of even 5 placement matches could make finding games in ranked easier for players that didn't get in on the level grinding early. Keep the actual visual ranks exactly the same. win/win.

Halo 3 conversation:

1- "Whats your rank?"

2- "45"

1- "Oh nice not bad."

Halo 5 conversation:

1- "What's your rank?"

2- "Diamond 2"

1- "How good is that?"

2- "Its like, better than platinum but worse than onyx?"

1- "ok..."

2- "Its equivalent to a 45-48"

1- "OH, not bad"

Also realistic.  Not that realism matters, but its a good reference if it affects the game in a positive way.

Most games with ranked modes use a system similar to what Halo 5 used lmfao, that's not at all how that conversation would go. Halo 5's system would make more sense to 95% of the playerbase because that's what they're familiar with.

39 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Most games with ranked modes use a system similar to what Halo 5 used lmfao, that's not at all how that conversation would go. Halo 5's system would make more sense to 95% of the playerbase because that's what they're familiar with.

That is EXACTLY how those conversations have gone. Literally.  In my actual life with friends that pick up Halo these days only occasionally.  Most of which gave up on Halo 5 shortly after release because it was simply too cumbersome to play unless you did it all the time or had a controller with paddles (but that's the definition of a dead horse around here...).  I think we also tend to overestimate the proportion of people that for any game play ranked and intimately know the systems.  Most people simple don't and don't give a shit, and someone who plays and gives a shit about their ranked performance in one game may not for others.  All of those system have little differences. Some don't have as many intermediary ranks or "Onyx" or "Champion". There is no reason to do something just because other games do it in this regard at all. Especially with how dead easy the 1-50 representation is to understand.  And its decidedly "Halo".  Halo players still have much more of a connection to that representation than what Halo 5 did. New players that care about ranked would have literally 0 adjustment period.  Plenty of casuals won't give a shit either way. Make Halo 50 Again.

Disclaimer: regardless of what they do, this is like a 1/10 level issue. I mostly want 1-50 representation back because there was absolutely no reason to change it in the first place. Its decidedly "Halo" and its the easiest rank system to understand when you have no prior knowledge. List of priorities, its close to the bottom (with black undersuits and playable elites lol). If the game is actually good, people will play regardless. I just think it was a dumbass, unnecessary thing to change in the first place.

• Fire (+1) 1