Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

19 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I have a rank. 

Not of master.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 10/12/2020 at 3:44 PM, TiberiusAudley said:

You guys rang?

Curious to hear, @_Synapse, what your reasoning behind saying the bullet magnetism by shot changing is a bad idea -- if it's communicated clearly through HUD showing the reticule shrinking, and still requires the same % of the reticule to cover the target to count as a hit -- then it shouldn't be a tremendous struggle for players to learn how it works and how to use it.

1) I don't support changing bullet magnetism/projectile velocity/RoF in any case for a weapon like the utility, because it creates inconsistency that becomes infuriating at sweaty levels of play. 

2) There's no real reason we need to compromise like this. The reason why casual players hate the CE pistol, is because the leading is screwed on MCC and the 60FPS + modern aim options make it much easier to use. It's still the best utility weapon, but casual players just get absolutely fucked by it in MCC. CE's slow and floaty movement just compounds how oppressive the weapon feels to casuals. 

3) Ideally, each weapon in the sandbox should have a clear level of skill required for each of it's firing modes. With changing bullet magnetism, you have differential skill levels within one firemode on one weapon, which make it considerably harder to balance around. It's like the difference in complexity between a linear equation and a differential equation. 

I like the idea that this could be manipulated on different utility weapons in the sandbox, though. If I could, then this mechanic could be something that's restricted to Promethean weapons, seeing as they struggle to carve a unique niche. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 10/8/2020 at 8:25 PM, Boyo said:

Or an additional vitality layer could be introduced.  “Armor” is effectively extra health.  

Could be a good idea, but I'm not particularly keen. If we tried to make armor percentage important in engagements by using the traditional AFPS system (A greater percentage of incoming damage is dealt to shields than health), then it'd start to screw with multiplayer balancing. 

If enemies find out you are in the tall grass, what do they do?  Can they burn it down to flush you out?  

Not a bad idea, at all. I would personally restrict this ability to a few specific enemy types, to make them even more distinct. 

Spec-Ops Elites armed with plasma flamethrowers, Spec-Ops/Anti-Flood Hunters, Sentinel variants, etc. 

giphy.gif

Oh boy, this'll be long. 

Enemies: More variety and intricate design to all of their main states- "Patrolling", "Alert", and "Hostile". Enemies of different classes and ranks have different values that affect how difficult it is to sneak around them; noise sensitivity, motion sensitivity, attention span, turn speed, curiosity, % of the player seen, the time they take to alert other enemies, etc. Just like the player, stealth enemies will be extremely dynamic, intelligent, and deadly at their role (unlike the existing stealth enemies that just kind of run at you). Similarly, allied stealth units will also exist, with equivalent levels of effectiveness. 

Sandbox: Silenced and suppressed weapons/weapon mod pickups, combat knives/energy swords that allow for unalerted enemies to be silently instakilled without a backsmack, body dragging, smoke grenades, hologram, vehicle variants modified for stealth, weather + time of day visibility having an effect on visibility, environment-based camos that can effectively mask a player from many enemies at once under certain conditions, etc. 

Encounter Design: Semi-Open that are designed around the player fighting a huge enemy count with a proportionally large ally count. The aforementioned huge groups of enemies and allies are segmented into smaller individual squads and fought semi-discretely in individual sections. The order and manner in which each of these squads are killed, makes significant impacts on how the rest of the mission plays out. 

Within these, groups of allied and enemy stealth units are spawned in randomized patterns, and will stealthily kill and/or subdue their foes- also making a significant impact on how the mission plays out. 

Open missions wherein the player is left to his devices in how he/she/etc accomplishes an objective, also with the aforementioned huge segmented enemy count. Here, the player is given access to stealth variants of vehicles, and they are free to tackle encounters in any manner of their liking. 

Missions where the objective is to remain alive for a period of time, and where stealth is an equally viable, yet radically different gameplay alternative to killing everything. 

Environment Design: Lots of terrain verticality and geometry that players can hide behind, grassy + sand + snowy + etc. environments where the player can either naturally hide or make use of camos, the design of very specific spots from where players can avoid detection from enemies in a particular encounter, dynamic lighting sources that affect player stealth, etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did they make the SBMM for social matchmaking more strict? Getting consistently into Reach lobbies with a lot of good players. Kinda fun tbh.

2 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

Did they make the SBMM for social matchmaking more strict? Getting consistently into Reach lobbies with a lot of good players. Kinda fun tbh.

They're the only people still playing

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Its harder to find a match when you don't have a rank. 

That sounds crazy lmao. If I can't find a rank at level 1* how the heck is anybody supposed to be able to climb to a higher rank? 

* at level 1 meaning I don't have a rank/rank got reset, in which case just pair me with higher ranked players? I'd rather get matched with a rank 20 and potentially get my ass beat so I at least know I suck and need to improve. If I can't even find a game what's the point in having it as a playlist

4 hours ago, JordanB said:

That sounds crazy lmao. If I can't find a rank at level 1* how the heck is anybody supposed to be able to climb to a higher rank? 

* at level 1 meaning I don't have a rank/rank got reset, in which case just pair me with higher ranked players? I'd rather get matched with a rank 20 and potentially get my ass beat so I at least know I suck and need to improve. If I can't even find a game what's the point in having it as a playlist

I guess the point is you play again at the start of each season reset, when nobody else has a rank. Its not system thats built to be left alone for long stretches of time since you'll get passed by everyone.

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Its not system thats built to be left alone for long stretches of time

There's no reason for it not to though. That's a terribly built system. 

"If you haven't been playing since day 1 we don't want you at all. Go play Destiny or some shit". What other multiplayer game doesn't allow new players to get into the game lol.

1 minute ago, JordanB said:

There's no reason for it not to though. That's a terribly built system. 

"If you haven't been playing since day 1 we don't want you at all. Go play Destiny or some shit". What other multiplayer game doesn't allow new players to get into the game lol.

The idea is you play when a new season drops and the rank resets. You rank up with everyone else rather than try after everyone already has.

18 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Will I get negged for saying I really like grifball?

I don't mind the idea in principle but I feel like there's a lot of room for improvement. 

• Grifball goes from 4v4 to 6v6/8v8 so that it feels more like an actual football game.

• Default player health/shield percentages. 

• A melee meta for the hammer and sword; something with a little more complexity than Halo 3's sword lunging -  I feel that a combination of Halo 2 animation truncating meta & Halo 3's swordfight meta would make for something incredible. Add in some functions to those weapons too, like blocking, feinting, and lateral/vertical slashes. 

• More decision making involved in the game. As it stands, there's no real reason to not simply bum rush into the meat grinder. Imagine a system of balance created between the hammer and sword, where players can choose between offensive momentum or defensive knockback. Players need to constantly evaluate their options and execute them mechanically. 

• More maps designed around launches. I mean, come on. Launches and swordfights are like the only things Grifball have, that distinguish it from melee-only assault. More unique geometry that open pathing options, less featureless open box rooms. 

• Meaningful and integral incorporation into the game's overall XP/Progression system, so that people look at it less like an optional minigame, and more like something they'll have to learn and grind. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:51 PM, _Synapse said:

body dragging

Don’t need to drag a body if it’s already disintegrated.  

Taps forehead.  

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Don’t need to drag a body if it’s already disintegrated.  

Taps forehead.  

This could unironically be an awesome idea for the Binary Rifle. 

Hitscan projectile + Completely Silent + Body Disintegration 

1 minute ago, _Synapse said:

This could unironically be an awesome idea for the Binary Rifle. 

Hitscan projectile + Completely Silent + Body Disintegration 

That’s the idea.  Take the spirit of something and make it fit in Halo.  Decoy grenade = hologram.  Smoke screen = camo.  Body dragging = disintegration.  

FOV slider for console needs to come out ASAP. Been playing the Cold War beta and 120 FOV spoiled me. Playing Halo just feels so claustrophobic now.

13 minutes ago, Avenger said:

FOV slider for console needs to come out ASAP. Been playing the Cold War beta and 120 FOV spoiled me. Playing Halo just feels so claustrophobic now.

They added a FOV slider to co sole cod finally 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Avenger said:

Laughs in pc

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

They added a FOV slider to co sole cod finally 

Apex has one, I think Destiny is getting one next gen. 

On 10/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, Boyo said:

Not of master.  

What? How can you do this? This is outrageous. It’s unfair. How can you be on the council and not be a master?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FeaR said:

What? How can you do this? This is outrageous. It’s unfair. How can you be on the council and not be a master?

Take a seat, young FeaR.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Apparently ranked Recon Slayer is coming to MCC. 

Hopefully without radar. Makes no sense why a mode meant to mimic ODST has the one thing ODST disabled by default.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2