CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

9 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I liked 3 and Reach’s campaign way more than 2 from a gameplay perspective. 2 might be my least favorite campaign to actually play.

2s campaign ranges from eh to terrible. Reach and odst in particular were great single players. 

Also, bungie was critical to halos success. They understood that games that actively engage the community tend to stick around. Thats why destiny is popular despite not being that amazing. With halo, they had shit like bungie favorites, and later the file browsing system from reach, which took advantage of customs, theater and forge. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let me pull a boyo here:

The Arbiter loans some engineers over to the UNSC and together they develop a new rifle, the EBR, Enhanced Battle Rifle.

The EBR fires precision plasma-infused rounds at tremendous velocity. In multiplayer, the rifle can drop an enemy in 4 shots thanks to the plasma-infused rounds as opposed to the 5 shots of the DMR. It has a 2x zoom. Be careful though, the blue rounds are easy to spot. Thanks to the special rounds, the rifle is known to damage vehicles after sustained fire.

Thanks to the size of the rounds, the magazine size is enormous and backup magazines are not taken into combat. With 120 rounds available within the rifle itself. The downside is the overheating.

The EBR is semi-automatic and each round focuses the plasma infuser further increasing the accuracy of each round. The downside is that by spamming the trigger, the gun overheats. Eight shots at maximum fire rate will overheat the EBR and force the user to cool it down. Unfortunately, due to the nature of plasma, the rounds lose power at very long range forcing 5-7 shot kills at extreme distances.

TLDR:

- Projectile 4sk precision rifle.
- 2x zoom.
- Accuracy increases with each shot, rather than decreases. Essentially reverse bloom to reward accuracy even when spamming.
- Gun overheats instead of reloads, punishing over-spamming but it is 100% controllable rather than the randomness of bloom. The overheating would allow the perfect TTK to be very low, but the average to be higher and controllable (if you watch the overheating, you will never have this issue but if you spam you're not punished with poor accuracy.)
- 120 rounds capacity, can pick up rounds as normal but you never need to reload, just watch the overheating!
- Bright blue, elongated rounds easily show were you are being shot from, allowing less frustration on larger maps.
- Damage falls off at extreme range to prevent people getting mapped on BTB.
- The rifle can damage vehicles under sustained fire, but not Reach DMR levels.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I like how the conclusion we're coming to is "Halo 4 wouldn't have had a population decline if it didn't completely suck in basically every way".

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

I think H2 campaign is really fun. Excluding Legendary. Legendary is just asking for unfair frustration and a miserable time

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

The EBR is semi-automatic and each round focuses the plasma infuser further increasing the accuracy of each round.

How would this affect player behavior?  Would players prefire at nothing before turning a corner to preemptively increase the weapon’s accuracy?  Now players must choose between moving stealthily or firing accurately?  Is this a good thing?  

halo 2 campaign was only fun on legendary. I always hated how in h3/h1 you didn't revert to checkpoint upon death in co-op. Legendary really felt like a survival for ones life which is why I enjoyed it as a kid, because it was a challenge. Now it's just more of a chore though it's not like i enjoy playing on any other setting more

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

How would this affect player behavior?  Would players prefire at nothing before turning a corner to preemptively increase the weapon’s accuracy?  Now players must choose between moving stealthily or firing accurately?  Is this a good thing?  

It's not a severe increase. The standard crosshair is still 100% accurate, it just gets smaller. It resets very quickly. 

Could be completely removed, just an idea I had.

For shits and giggles, the next Halo should have a gun that:

1) Doesn't actually do any damage.

2) When you fire it at the ground, it launches you like 100 feet in the air so you can get stupid snipe clips.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

2) When you fire it at the ground, it launches you like 100 feet in the air so you can get stupid snipe clips.

I'd be down for that. 

On 10/6/2020 at 2:26 AM, Shekkles said:

TLDR:

- Projectile 4sk precision rifle.
- 2x zoom.
- Accuracy increases with each shot, rather than decreases. Essentially reverse bloom to reward accuracy even when spamming.

I think it could be cool if with each consecutive shot the Bullet Magnetism decreased as well. The first sort being like the CE Pistol with more leeway but the 4th shot having essentially 0 margin of error. 

17 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

I miss messing around on maps finding as many super jumps as possible.

Also I gotta say this update for H3 is so much better than any online H3 experience ever. Yeah sometimes my shots don't count well but most of the time I honestly feel like they're going to register on anything from anywhere. It completely changed the game for me online in a good way

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NAK said:

I think it could be cool if with each consecutive shot the Bullet Magnetism decreased as well. The first sort being like the CE Pistol with more leeway but the 4th shot having essentially 0 margin of error. 

That sounds like literally the most frustrating thing ever for new players unless you tie it to how fast the player is shooting, in which case you just reinvented @TiberiusAudleys inverse bullet spread concept xD

• Like (+1) 3

Changing bullet magnetism over several shots is a bad idea. It'll feel a lot like anti-aim on CE. 

Utility weapons just shouldn't have spread. Even 343i's "Bungie but every weapon except the utility has a 0.9 second TTK" weapons sandbox design philosophy, manages to rationalize that spread simply shouldn't exist on a utility weapon. 

The idea of a weapon where accuracy increases as the player fires more, is something that could potentially work with the Needler, though that weapon has better ways to fit it's niche. 

The campaigns (dunno about ODST and Reach but they probably follow the same trend) aren't A-tier on legendary with the exception of CE.

H2's pacing is garbage, the combat has the depth of a wet puddle, the enemies are dumber than literal rocks, and the level geometry is claustrophobic on top of having unnecessary shit like crates placed everywhere that interfere with the natural flow of combat more than they assist. There's one fun encounter in this entire game. The so-called "difficulty" is nonexistent on legendary, the game's literally easier than CE on Heroic once you memorize enough spawns and maximize your noob combo use. 5/10. 

H3's pacing is fantastic, and the general quality of level design and encounter design is miles above H2. However, the combat is still as deep as a wet puddle, the enemies are still fucking stupid, and the sandbox still sucks. The difficulty on legendary is, again, artificially induced by means of multipliers on enemy damage. Yet, it still manages to be the easiest Halo on legendary. That should give you an idea of just how braindead the enemies are. Instead of memorizing enemy spawns this time, you're memorizing where the unnecessarily large amount of power weapons are hidden. Overall, 7/10. 

H4 is just irredeemable shit. The Covenant AI has regressed to lower-than H2 levels of incompetency, and the Prometheans are big orange bullet sponge fuckers who teleport away and minimize all the damage you do to them. Only one fun section in the whole game. 3/10. 

inb4 "the 4 had best story" no it did not

14 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

The idea of a weapon where accuracy increases as the player fires more, is something that could potentially work with the Needler, though that weapon has better ways to fit it's niche. 

Human turret - the weapon never overheats but hitscan bullets increase the reticle size with each shot 

Promethean turret - projectiles decrease the reticle size with each shot but the weapon eventually overheats 

Inconsistent aim assistance feels like trash. That shit should have never been implemented in H5, and I never wanna see any form of it again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

H2's pacing is garbage, the combat has the depth of a wet puddle, the enemies are dumber than literal rocks,

I totally agreed with you until I realized you were talking about the campaign :kappa:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 2

Discount Egoraptor did a good video on why CEA is garbage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Discount Egoraptor did a good video on why CEA is garbage.

Current Egoraptor is now the discount. This man carries his spirit onward.

7 hours ago, Shekkles said:

why CEA is garbage.

“More indicative of a fan project than a professional release” 

13 hours ago, _Synapse said:

The campaigns (dunno about ODST and Reach but they probably follow the same trend) aren't A-tier on legendary with the exception of CE.

I thought ODST was good, even if a bit repetitive because 90% of the game was spent in the same sort of urban environment. The lack of a BR really helped out combat, the pistol and carbine had clear tradeoffs. There were far more Hunters than all of Halo 3, and Drones had an expansion to their ranks so keeping an auto in your pocket was sometimes a good idea. It helps that the SMG wasn't absolutely garbage.
AI was basically Halo 3's, but enemies would be on patrol during the hub world missions. And you had more health than the Chief so Jackal snipers couldn't one-hit you from full.

25 minutes ago, Sitri said:

The lack of a BR really helped out combat, the pistol and carbine had clear tradeoffs.

If you were to design a campaign-only Halo, what would you go with for the two utilitarian weapons?  

2 hours ago, Sitri said:

I thought ODST was good, even if a bit repetitive because 90% of the game was spent in the same sort of urban environment. The lack of a BR really helped out combat, the pistol and carbine had clear tradeoffs. There were far more Hunters than all of Halo 3, and Drones had an expansion to their ranks so keeping an auto in your pocket was sometimes a good idea. It helps that the SMG wasn't absolutely garbage.
AI was basically Halo 3's, but enemies would be on patrol during the hub world missions. And you had more health than the Chief so Jackal snipers couldn't one-hit you from full.

The lack of a BR is somewhat anxiety-inducing personally, but you're right. Even if the sandbox is largely just Halo 3 without a BR, the weapon choices made in ODST are 100x more impactful than those in Halo 3. 

Even though I feel that Halo PvP should be designed around a utility weapon, I don't necessarily think the same for PvE. 

Turrets 

The HMG never overheats but each hitscan shot increases reticle size, decreasing accuracy.  

The Shredder automatically fires projectiles that decrease the size of the large resting reticle but the weapon eventually overheats.  

The Shade turret cannot be manually detached from its base by infantry like the HMG and the Shredder.  By default, it automatically fires 3sk plasma bolts from alternating cannons.  Should the turret come loaded with power ammo, the user can toggle from unlimited plasma bolts to a finite supply of 2sk concussion bolts or 1sk fuel rods.  

The Minecart is a more of a small, single player vehicle rather than just a stationary turret.  The user stands in bucket manning a turret that can spin 360 degrees.  While it cannot freely roam the map, the Minecart can travel forward or back along a rail system.  Maps can feature switches that alter the vehicle’s path.  

42 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

The lack of a BR is somewhat anxiety-inducing personally, but you're right. Even if the sandbox is largely just Halo 3 without a BR, the weapon choices made in ODST are 100x more impactful than those in Halo 3. 

Even though I feel that Halo PvP should be designed around a utility weapon, I don't necessarily think the same for PvE. 

The pistol in ODST does really low damage, but still instakills with headshots, so it's only really worth pulling out once you've broken the shields of something first. Pretty much any other weapon is good to soften up a target before finishing them off with a headshot. The carbine is the same as Halo 3's, but with recoil. That and the spread kill it at longer range.

I definitely do agree that PvP needs to have a single all-purpose weapon, campaign and multiplayer just have a totally different dynamic in that regard. Although I'd be more open to forcing weapon combos if swap speeds were significantly faster- aside from the noob combo there's no reason to really switch between weapons mid-fight because it's oftentimes faster to just continue shooting with your headshot gun or go in for a melee.

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

If you were to design a campaign-only Halo, what would you go with for the two utilitarian weapons?  

The two starting guns in ODST were fine.

• Upvote (+1) 2