CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Finally got a chance to play a few rounds of recon slayer. Can we talk about how much better the automag is as a utility than the BR? Bungie should have put it in multiplayer when ODST first released. If 343 could make a ranked list using the MLG settings and replacing the BR with the automag that would be just swell. I’d probably play a H3 a lot more if that happened.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm surprised they'd rotate recon slayer out. It felt like something that could be a real playlist and should probably just be available. I don't even really agree with rotational playlists in a social mixtape matchmaking system to begin with honestly. It would make sense if they rotated in double exp weekends or had events or something like that but just flipping peoples game modes on and off for no reason is kind of just a waste of people's time

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

My and two people were planning on doing the Endure challenge (clear four acts of classic ODST firefight on Heroic with four players in the party) on October 4 and we need one more. Wanna join us on Sunday (time not set yet)? We're gong to be doing this on Xbox.

That's my birthday :walshy: Let's get it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

TIN FOIL HAT MODE

I think 343 may add H5 to mcc. I've thought it for a while based on this

ccb1be44e5860f515baacb2dd0b4e73f.png

So each game has the base game, the muliplayer and the language pack. Everything is accounted for there except for those missing two "unknown apps"

They could be the "MCC menu system" itself, not sure. But then I came across this post about modifying your weapon models for all the halo games... 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2013341780

I came across this line that mentions halo Reach weapon models are located under [5] in the user settings.

f21a383268daefdce6860b9656f1923e.png

notice how there are 7 total? Reach is number 5 because it was the last added game to MCC.... 

[0] =CE

[1]=H2

[2]=H3

[3]=H4

[4]=H3ODST

[5]=Reach

[6]=Halo 5??!?!?

IT's either that or I'm a fucking idiot and it's probably just

[0] =CE

[1]=H2

[2]=H2A

[3]=H3

[4]=HODST

[5]=Reach

[6]=H4.

But my tinfoil hat remains on because the first order is how the games released... ODST wasn't added until post launch in the original 2014 release... Which makes it after h4... Same for Reach, only came out during PC launch. Making it after ODST. the first order makes the most sense, but I'm not sure H2 and h2A would be together. however, they are together for control binds so I wouldn't doubt they're considered the same game here.

Anyway you can mod your weapon model and not get banned :prayers:

Let's adjust 6 and see waht happens and this post will be useless

edit: so the post even mentions that the features only works on reach currently. Dumb... stupid... sucks

• Fire (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

11 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

@znot I'm 100% okay with this. 
@NavG123 Yes.

100% okay with h5 coming to mcc or the weapon mod only working for Reach?

I'm sure I can guess tho 

Looking forward to crossplay and input based MM. Its the most needed thing in MCC and Halo moving forward in general

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:34 AM, Reamis25 said:

Koth is one I think could be appropriate. That’s wha I had in mind regarding ctf and assault. Would ghost town be a good oddball map? I mean for king it wouldn’t be too bad. 

I don’t think anyone will ever accept it as a comp map, but it could be a lot better with the right changes.

For either KotH or Ball, the Bubble Shield is a non-starter. Gotta go before we even talk about the map in any context. 

For ball, the pipes on offense side need to be blocked. They ruin ball. Do that, and it’s a fun map.

For KotH, It could work, but you need to be selective about hill placement. My fear is a hill in the base, and my team is spawning pipes (attack spawn). That’s too much free time, and too safe of a hill. The hills would need to be more easily contestable. I’m thinking top mid, OS, front snipe doorway near camo, and front base in front of the tree.

Anyone:

PM me if you want to run some ranked on Xbox. I’m down for any playlist. I just need someone above average that has a mic and is a decent human. Basically anything better than an average random solo que teammate.

Ive been craving some ranked recently, but solo que times are rough.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, Hard Way said:

Isolation could work as-is for KotH, since you could just leave very little reason to ever go in the bases. Plus, that’s the map’s best game mode. 

TS and Ball, 100% block them.

CTF and Assault could get away without it if you put the flag on top of the base, or in the grass behind the base.

KOTH is one of those gametypes that can make a lot of average maps playable (see construct). It can both force movement into parts of the map that would otherwise be fairly useless, or alternatively completely void bad parts of the map by simply making them irrelevant to the objective.

• Like (+1) 4

I don't think it makes a ton of sense to NOT bring h5 officially to PC with Infinite releasing on PC. Having it be the only one not on PC when it already has a semi working port available seems very strange. Especially with the delay of Infinite I could easily see them try and use H5 as a stopgap in between. Makes too much sense not to happen IMO

Leading upto Infinite's release is probably going to be the worst tangible Halo content drought yet. We'll thankfully keep receiving seasons and QoL features for MCC, but none of it adds anything refreshing to the bread-and-butter matchmaking. 

We'll keep receiving tidbits of largely irrelevant info from megablocks toys, but Infinite's not gonna be ready for even a beta until at least March/April 2021, by approximation. 

The MCC will be the only game to receive updates of any sort, but it's still just old games that aren't receiving a ton of new content outside of some cool stuff like crossplay, custom game browser and mod support. Even those could theoretically keep the population from completely drying out until mid-2021, but matchmaking's still going to be dead as shit. There isn't going to be anything new to pull players back unless 343i keeps making refreshing modes like Recon. 

Just like during the pre-reveal period, 343i NEED to be fuelling the Infinite hype with advertising and if nothing else, small snippets of gameplay. That runs completely opposite to the strategy they're currently employing. They may change this eventually, but this current strategy of people having to make 5head inferences about Infinite's gameplay is not gonna get the game very far outside of the now relatively-puny remaining dedicated Halo fanbase. IE: No one who doesn't play MCC regularly is even gonna know what the fuck a "Jackal Sniper" is. 

Lack of content + existing content being largely the same since 2012 + almost zero news about Infinite's gameplay + Infinite's dev cycle being up in the air, are all squeezing the air out of this franchises' emaciated lungs. 

They need to do SOMETHING. 

A brainstormed list of stuff they could do for MCC: 

• More decent-quality community forged maps being added into matchmaking for H3, H2A, Reach, and H4. (By that, I don't mean Wastelands)

• Map-wide item and powerup revamping for every game but CE. 

• Permanent double XP, with quadruple XP on weekends. (It's ludicrously difficult to max out anyways, they could increase it by a factor of 10 and it'd still be impossible for the average player). 

• Armor skins and textures in the new seasons. 

• Rotational social and competitive playlists with completely new settings. Think weapon rebalances, movement rebalances, vehicle rebalances, higher playercount gamemodes on traditional 4v4 maps (Squad Slayer, Power Slayer, Mayhem, etc). 

• More custom games like Jump Rope and Speed Halo in social rotation. 

• More challenges (I believe this is already arriving to MCC). 

• Automatic map downloading from the customs browser, perhaps attempting to let console players play on modded maps in this manner? 

• Console FOV and centered crosshair support. (In design iteration, I think). Also, give players on both platforms the ability to adjust their weapon viewmodels. 

• More openly announced bug-fix updates like the H3 hitreg one. 

Not that I care about all of these, they're just preferable to playing the exact same thing since 2012. If 343i did even some of these without breaking the games, they could probably lift MCC's population into the high 20-low 30K range.

• Like (+1) 1

I like how nobody talks about how classic CEs campaign is pretty buggy still. Maybe not functionally, but graphically its has issues. Fuck, the cutscenes alone are still not even 30 fps. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

I like how nobody talks about how classic CEs campaign is pretty buggy still. Maybe not functionally, but graphically its has issues. Fuck, the cutscenes alone are still not even 30 fps. 

that and the music loops are fucking broken. i'm more mad with Reach. THE ONLY CAMPAIGN I CAN'T PLAY IN SMOOTH 144FPS.

But it's at least on their "in development" or "in design" phase.

11 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

It's really unfortunate that 343i (and whoever else that is helping them work on the MCC and port it to PC) decided to prioritize adding frivolous nonsense to the MCC version of Halo 1 such as weapon skins and other pointless cosmetics instead of prioritizing making the MCC version of Halo 1 achieve parity with the original Xbox version of Halo 1/legacy version of Halo 1. 343i should be prioritizing fixing all of the various legitimate bugs/issues that are plaguing the MCC version of Halo 1 so that the game can achieve parity with the original Xbox version of Halo 1/legacy version of Halo 1.

Gearbox botched the PC port of Halo 1 in 2003. 343i, Saber Interactive, and Certain Affinity botched the Xbox 360 version of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary in 2011 by basing it off of the botched Gearbox PC/Custom Edition port of Halo 1. 343i botched the MCC version of Halo 1 in 2014 by basing it off of the Xbox 360 version of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary which was already botched. The Gearbox PC port of Halo 1, the Xbox 360 version of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and the MCC version of Halo 1 are all plagued with a ton of various bugs/issues and are all objectively inferior to the original Xbox version of Halo 1.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I really wouldn't hold out an inch of hope for any more major existing-bug/game inconsistency fixes. 

343i's relegated a skeleton crew to work on MCC as is, with most resources being devoted to Infinite. They really don't care that much about MCC aside from testing waters/building hype for Infinite on PC. 

It is graphically buggy, but it's not THAT big of a deal tbqh. I've played the Halo CE restored mod for Halo Custom Edition, and the tweaks are pretty few. Nothing that really changes the way the game looks on a fundamental level. 

I’m just gonna be real and say the reason CE doesn’t get the improvements or fixes you want is because no one cares about the game. Most care about h3, which is unfortunate for you guys that love CE. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I’m just gonna be real and say the reason CE doesn’t get the improvements or fixes you want is because no one cares about the game. Most care about h3, which is unfortunate for you guys that love CE. 

Implying they care about any game until people audibly give them a ton of shit for a bug in any one of the games

H3's still significantly broken in like 3-4 other major ways, they just don't give a shit because there's maybe 30 or so twitter accounts with 100> followers complaining about it