CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

- decrease the time it takes for shields to begin recharging

- add silenced pistols and SMGs as map pickups

- newly forged maps to replace Onslaught and Amp

I think H3 deserves better settings. This is ideally what I'd like to see.

5 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

Still think that 2-round multi-flag CTF on asymmetric maps is untapped potential for Halo. 

Unfortunately, I think Boyo is right - the pros & competitive Halo community in general are too set in their ways to explore asymmetric maps. 

Ironic - too stubborn to try asymmetric maps, but open to advanced mobility. How tf did we get here? 

I think part of it is how long the games take.  One thing I like about halo both as a player and a spectator is how you can get a lot of games in quickly. 10-15 minutes and you get to start again.  I like the idea of a flipping asymmetrical flag game, but it would essentially be a double length flag game in the middle of everything else.  In vacuum i think it could be sweet, but as a game in a series that cadence might annoy me.  Dunno for sure though obviously, gotta try it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

22 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

I think part of it is how long the games take.  One thing I like about halo both as a player and a spectator is how you can get a lot of games in quickly. 10-15 minutes and you get to start again.

I don't disagree. I think 2 rounds, 7 minutes on opposite spawns each would be appropriate. Maybe with a 5 minute sudden death. 

• Like (+1) 1

Halo follower hiddenxperia and Sean W have started the end the content drought movement. All I can say is finally. Tired of reddit kids telling me or anyone else this is ok, it’s fucking not. 343 needs to start showing content now! We need to see multiplayer gameplay in October, something that way we can give feedback! Now is the time for 343 to step it up. You need to stop worrying so much about potential complaints, show your work. They have time, it’s not too late. You literally have 3 months left of 2020 and possibly 11 in 2021. That’s only if infinite was delayed as far back as to November.  

I just hope that V9 removes Guardian from the rotation.

That map is so, so bad.

On 9/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Reamis25 said:

A flank is you getting the jump on the enemy dummy! Even if I hear you at the last second it’s still a flank! 

Flanking is eliminating an exit and forcing them to deal with two or more directions of fire simultaneously. I don’t think it matters if they know it’s setting up or not.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:30 AM, _Synapse said:

Sound punishes players who try to make plays. 

Sound is free information that players cannot avoid giving. 

Sound is inherently attached to movement, and therefore inherently attached to flanking. 

Punishing players for making plays instead of rewarding them for it, is how you make generic-boring-setup-based-meta Halo game #1973972. 

There's no debate on this. 

Then make it quiet if they move slowly to force them to make chess moves.

i hate the way people play snipers in halo where they run all over the place rather than crouch and search. That’s not how snipers operate and that style of play shouldn’t be called snipers in any game.

• WutFace (+0) 1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:24 AM, Hard Way said:

It’s amazing what keeping things simple and logical can do for competitive merit.

I’ve always thought they just ran out of ideas. CE was state of the art in its day.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I just hope that V9 removes Guardian from the rotation.

That map is so, so bad.

There's no need to remove anything. We can just add more gametypes to the mix. Personally I think Guardian is a great map but getting ball back to back on it in MM is a drag. If there were more maps/gametypes to choose from it wouldn't feel so stale.

15 hours ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

There's no need to remove anything. We can just add more gametypes to the mix. Personally I think Guardian is a great map but getting ball back to back on it in MM is a drag. If there were more maps/gametypes to choose from it wouldn't feel so stale.

Normally I’d agree, but Amp and Ons are pretty sub par experiences. Amp is a poor man’s midship with worse spawning, and Ons is a fucking minigame. They’re embarrassing. They should be replaced. Everything else is fine.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Normally I’d agree, but Amp and Ons are pretty sub par experiences. Amp is a poor man’s midship with worse spawning, and Ons is a fucking minigame. They’re embarrassing. They should be replaced. Everything else is fine.

Especially with the amount of talented forgers in the community and the new tools at their disposal. No reason not to really. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NAK said:

Especially with the amount of talented forgers in the community and the new tools at their disposal. No reason not to really. 

They don't even need to be replaced in the sense of choosing another forge map. Heretic makes them both irrelevant. They can just be cut. Obviously if someone has a REALLY good map/gametype combo it would be nice to see it. Maybe Isolation could get another look since we aren't on 360 hardware. Maybe 343 could fix bomb to function more like it does in either H2 or H2A and we could use that. Either way though we can play a series down those maps with no issues

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

They don't even need to be replaced in the sense of choosing another forge map. Heretic makes them both irrelevant. They can just be cut. Obviously if someone has a REALLY good map/gametype combo it would be nice to see it. Maybe Isolation could get another look since we aren't on 360 hardware. Maybe 343 could fix bomb to function more like it does in either H2 or H2A and we could use that. Either way though we can play a series down those maps with no issues

Isolation would only be ok if we got rid of the bottom bases. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Whats the worst map name? Both disk and forge.

Because they gave proper names to similar maps, I'm gonna go with Forge World/Forge Island for being lazy ass names. Imagine if they called Foundry "Forge Room" or Sandbox "Forge Desert", lol. Maybe Ice Fields outside the Forge canvases.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, _Synapse said:

I think this guy's trying to develop v9 settings for H3. 

https://twitter.com/synqpse?s=21

Try messaging him if you want to collaborate, though it's worth noting that I have no clue whether his vision of v9 would be anything like yours. 

I cant message you on twitter for some reason. I get that some people would be down to remove Amp and Onslaught, and for good reason as they were substitutes for Heretic. However, I feel the current settings are pretty established and I didn't want to shake things up too much just improve on what we already have. Just my 2 cents I'm happy with or without them.

• Simms (+1) 1

Avalanche is my least favourite map in all of Halo 3. That map is pure cancer. Going +25 in a game because the enemy spawn in front of your sniper is the worst map design ever. Imagine making a map so bad it is boring to win on.

It's come up 3 times tonight and I just Alt + F4 every time. I'd rather spend 5 minutes looking at the main menu then endure a second on it.

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Isolation would only be ok if we got rid of the bottom bases. 

Isolation could work as-is for KotH, since you could just leave very little reason to ever go in the bases. Plus, that’s the map’s best game mode. 

TS and Ball, 100% block them.

CTF and Assault could get away without it if you put the flag on top of the base, or in the grass behind the base.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

I cant message you on twitter for some reason. I get that some people would be down to remove Amp and Onslaught, and for good reason as they were substitutes for Heretic. However, I feel the current settings are pretty established and I didn't want to shake things up too much just improve on what we already have. Just my 2 cents I'm happy with or without them.

That's not me haha

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Avalanche is my least favourite map in all of Halo 3. That map is pure cancer. Going +25 in a game because the enemy spawn in front of your sniper is the worst map design ever. Imagine making a map so bad it is boring to win on.

It's come up 3 times tonight and I just Alt + F4 every time. I'd rather spend 5 minutes looking at the main menu then endure a second on it.

I like Avalanche, but there's some problems that the map has, with most stemming from the fact that there's very little reason to do anything but push into the mid-room meat grinder to take the opponent's snipe platform (unless you're in a vehicle). From my very basic opinion: 

1) There's a lot of pointless open, featureless terrain. There's barely any reason why you'd want to traverse the map over it, ignoring the high risk of death from snipers, laser and vehicles. 

2) The laser spawn near the crest of the map has very little reason outside of the periodic laser spawn to go there. You could try to suffocate all enemy vehicle movement with the laser and 1-2 players situated there, but there's already safer spots to do that from. 

3) The interior parts of each base make for really cool encounters with people coming in from behind and lifting from the front, but they're way too de-emphasized in Slayer. Less so in CTF and other objective modes. 

4) There should not be more than 1 warthog per base. Even with turrets, rockets, a laser and a on Hornet on the map, warthogs are incredibly strong in Halo 3. Two warthogs per team in addition to a hornet literally slows infantry combat to a crawl. If a competent team manages to get 1-2 more vehicles alive than you, that's an easy 10-20 kills for their team unless your own decides to play hide and seek inside your base. 

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Isolation could work as-is for KotH, since you could just leave very little reason to ever go in the bases. Plus, that’s the map’s best game mode. 

TS and Ball, 100% block them.

CTF and Assault could get away without it if you put the flag on top of the base, or in the grass behind the base.

Koth is one I think could be appropriate. That’s wha I had in mind regarding ctf and assault. Would ghost town be a good oddball map? I mean for king it wouldn’t be too bad. 

8 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Anyone want to play firefight? Been dying to do it since ODST dropped but my friends are all tryhards.

My and two people were planning on doing the Endure challenge (clear four acts of classic ODST firefight on Heroic with four players in the party) on October 4 and we need one more. Wanna join us on Sunday (time not set yet)? We're gong to be doing this on Xbox.

• Like (+1) 1