CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

10 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Halo 2 has the worst lighting I've seen in a video game with its budget. Some maps are simply too dark to be playable.

Warlock and Gemini in particular are fucking atrocious. The whole game's assets (in particular the Spartan models) are shrouded in this shade of extremely dark brown, and it really becomes a pain in the ass on these two maps and their vampire mansion levels of lighting. 

That's the thing I'll never NOT give H3 credit for. Every single map is well lit, and the aesthetic style is full of saturated colors and sharp visual contrast that makes it easy on the eyes. It's even better than Reach because the shield flare is more legible than it was in Reach. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Warlock and Gemini in particular are fucking atrocious. The whole game's assets (in particular the Spartan models) are shrouded in this shade of extremely dark brown, and it really becomes a pain in the ass on these two maps and their vampire mansion levels of lighting. 

That's the thing I'll never NOT give H3 credit for. Every single map is well lit, and the aesthetic style is full of saturated colors and sharp visual contrast that makes it easy on the eyes. It's even better than Reach because the shield flare is more legible than it was in Reach. 

H3 is easily the best looking game in the series to me on a subjective level but objectively nothing is even close when it comes to the functionality of the lighting and coloring because it makes everything so easy to see

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

H3 is easily the best looking game in the series to me on a subjective level but objectively nothing is even close when it comes to the functionality of the lighting and coloring because it makes everything so easy to see

8156bae590fe987e178029bdc2afaec5.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Normal mapping for the win.

I mean yeah it's pretty simple stuff that goes a long way. 343's forerunner structures are all flat metallic surfaces. but bungies all had etched designs in the metal frame. No space was left un touched by a forerunner pattern on bungies games. Hell, even the empty space has ambient occlusion shadowy pattern ALONG with the softer pores/cuts in the metal.

I mean some of the spartan models on the Ue4 customization menu look insane and the bump maps dont even work. imagine if they did!

• Like (+1) 3

My biggest gripe with halo2 outside the usual is the red screen flashing every time you get hit when low shields. Like holy fuck it's so annoying.

And even though CE is perfect!!!, the white flash when getting hit in ce is also annoying but its shorter and easier on the eyes so it's not as annoying by a lot, but still annoying enough that I can believe it shipped.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Riddler said:

My biggest gripe with halo2 outside the usual is the red screen flashing every time you get hit when low shields. Like holy fuck it's so annoying.

And even though CE is perfect!!!, the white flash when getting hit in ce is also annoying but its shorter and easier on the eyes so it's not as annoying by a lot, but still annoying enough that I can believe it shipped.  

Depending on the television you're on. That flash blinds me on some tubes

I really wish something could be done about quitting.

I just got on to search MCC H3 HC and my first game was good we played it to completion with 8 total players. Then I went 0 for 4 and people quit out of every one immediately. Then it boots me out of my MM search for typing this in like less than 20 seconds. L M A O

15 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I really wish something could be done about quitting.

I just got on to search MCC H3 HC and my first game was good we played it to completion with 8 total players. Then I went 0 for 4 and people quit out of every one immediately. Then it boots me out of my MM search for typing this in like less than 20 seconds. L M A O

Party restrictions or at least trying to compensate the advantage of a full party by matching them against stronger randoms would be a start. So sick of sweaty to4s that are too afraid of ranked but try their hardest to win a fucking Recon Slayer match on High Ground and teabag + rage in chat after every kill. Full parties have been killing Halo since 2010.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't know if my MMR is doing something weird but Recon Social 4s is incredibly sweaty for me. 

Like yeah, in 4s I'll match sweaty people every other game or so. In Recon, it feels like every fucking guy with a TTV hopped on with his to4 who he grinds hardcore with to just ruin everybody's day. It's unreal, every game I get feels like I'm playing in ranked 50s. 

I don't mind that at all when I'm playing ranked, but having no choice just makes it unbearable to play for more than an hour on end. 

Also, holy shit Halo 2 is dead on MCC

• Like (+1) 1

Its not even the to4 causing the problem in this case though. I actually benefitted from the quits its just stupid because nobody cares about meaningless MCC playlist ranks and we're there to play the game. The games would just begin and half the players would either go afk or quit before a shot had been fired. In one case yesterday it was literally the same dude three games in a row coming in with either a quit or an afk immediately and obviously intentionally

I heard you guys are handing out to4s that fit my work and gaming schedule along with compromising only to my interest or lack thereof. I need that juice, man.

5 minutes ago, Crimson said:

I heard you guys are handing out to4s that fit my work and gaming schedule along with compromising only to my interest or lack thereof. I need that juice, man.

Oh, get a to4?  Just get a to4?  Why don't I strap on my to4 helmet and squeeze down into a to4 cannon and fire off into to4 land, where to4s grow on fourbies?!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Also, holy shit Halo 2 is dead on MCC

Someone in the know says that they accept the fact that h2 belongs to project cartographer. The shotreg fix that they implemented for h3 also fixes shotreg for h2 but they didn’t do it for h2 because they don’t care. The big brains on the cartographer team reversed the h3 fix and implemented it in cartographer less than a week after the first flight of the h3 fix was released. After that was implemented, we turned off all of the other things we did to improve shot reg and it still felt great. At this point, mcc h2 is dead because they don’t want to fix it.

• Like (+1) 3

Halo 2 on MCC on both platforms have a daily population range of about 500-2000 each. Project cartographer's daily population range is around 100-500. Range is typical lows and highs per day. So yeah Project Cartographer eats at the MCC population by a decent amount. AFAIK most people that only play H2 have gravitated towards that even post MCC PC release. H2 MCC PC release was a nightmare with that zero day glitch where you could just down into the ground and hit opponents.

With the addition of ODST weapons and the forge contest would it be possible to select V9 settings? Who would be the best group of people to decide on the updates? I feel like small changes like lowering the clip on the rockets and adding spare ammo could also promote movement 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

With the addition of ODST weapons and the forge contest would it be possible to select V9 settings? Who would be the best group of people to decide on the updates? I feel like small changes like lowering the clip on the rockets and adding spare ammo could also promote movement 

I’ll do it :kappa:

• Fire (+1) 1

On 9/27/2020 at 1:41 PM, Hootspa said:

Someone in the know says that they accept the fact that h2 belongs to project cartographer. The shotreg fix that they implemented for h3 also fixes shotreg for h2 but they didn’t do it for h2 because they don’t care. The big brains on the cartographer team reversed the h3 fix and implemented it in cartographer less than a week after the first flight of the h3 fix was released. After that was implemented, we turned off all of the other things we did to improve shot reg and it still felt great. At this point, mcc h2 is dead because they don’t want to fix it.

Disclaimer: I am an admittedly new player to Project Cartographer. That being said, if they can reverse engineer something like that into their build, why can they also not transport over the improved aiming and controller settings (modern aim + bumper jumper FTW)? 

Are there any other Cart players in here who can convince me it's something on my end? I'm not sure if it's the inability to custom tailor controller settings to the degree that I can on MCC (deadzones and .5 sens adjustments), but I find the aiming on Cart to be much worse for me personally. 

9 hours ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

You want less rockets? They’re already a weak item for their 3min spawn time.

Personally, I think we can afford to move rockets to a 2min spawn now that the utility actually hits.

But my number 1 thing I would want to change in a hypothetical v9 is to replace Amp and Ons with something completely different. Those maps were added before Heretic was a map, and they never got replaced after they became redundant. I’d want an asymmetrical Sandbox map that can support TS and either King or Ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

I’d want an asymmetrical Sandbox map that can support TS and either King or Ball.

In my experience, competitive Halo players won’t support an asymmetric forge map.  They like the simple experience a my-side/your-side map provides.  There is too much room for nuance on asyms.  They don’t allow for one simple, clear strategy to emerge after a few matches.  

• Like (+1) 1

Still think that 2-round multi-flag CTF on asymmetric maps is untapped potential for Halo. 

Unfortunately, I think Boyo is right - the pros & competitive Halo community in general are too set in their ways to explore asymmetric maps. 

Ironic - too stubborn to try asymmetric maps, but open to advanced mobility. How tf did we get here? 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, II AdamanT II said:

Disclaimer: I am an admittedly new player to Project Cartographer. That being said, if they can reverse engineer something like that into their build, why can they also not transport over the improved aiming and controller settings (modern aim + bumper jumper FTW)? 

Are there any other Cart players in here who can convince me it's something on my end? I'm not sure if it's the inability to custom tailor controller settings to the degree that I can on MCC (deadzones and .5 sens adjustments), but I find the aiming on Cart to be much worse for me personally. 

Because it’s a lot of fuggin work mate. I implemented proper raw mouse input for cartographer, and that took me at least 80 hours to get working. I haven’t heard one person ask for modern aiming before, so that coupled with the fact that getting anything interesting done in this project takes a ton of work is probably why the things you mentioned aren’t done. H2v is also very finicky in regards to getting it to play smoothly without stutter, so you could probably talk with one of the staff to get it running better. When you have it set up perfectly, it actually does feel really good.

• Upvote (+1) 2