CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

2 hours ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

How come any time this subject comes up you can never distinguish between normative and positive statements? No one is saying that people don't put more weight on pros' opinions. We all know people do. What we're saying is that doing so, simply because they are pros, is stupid.

Because I’m not going to beat around the bush and be all positive about something like all opinions matter bs 

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Everybody on here has abandoned hope.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Good series Band of Brothers. The Pacific was also good. I hope Masters of the Air is good.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Good series Band of Brothers. The Pacific was also good. I hope Masters of the Air is good.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

The pacific is underrated. Best historical miniseries is chernobyl though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

12 hours ago, darkstar said:

It’d be really sick if they’d put the Sandbox maps at a lower weighting in BTB. Ive played a shitty Sandbox map four matches in a row and if I have to play another I’m Straight up uninstalling this game. 

Why, oh why, do they REFUSE to implement a veto system?

When the sandbox maps come up it's time to go for a 50 bomb, wasteland & sandbox are so open

13 hours ago, xxcloud7xx said:

I don't want to put you on the spot but do you happen to have a link to that tweet? If you think OGRE2 is trying to gaslight people with that teambeyond post that I linked then please post a link to that tweet if you have it. Please keep in mind that OGRE2 is still one of the best Halo 1 players in the world and according to himself his favortie Halo games are Halo 1 and Halo 2, not Halo Reach. He rated both Halo 1 and Halo 2 a 9, rated vanilla Halo Reach a 4, and rated nbns Halo Reach a 6.

It would be really stupid if OGRE2 truly believed that the bloom effect on Halo 1's pistol is the main aspect of the game that makes Halo 1's pistol skillful. On the original Xbox version of Halo 1 the only way you can get the full bloom effect with the pistol is if you hold down the trigger.

•  

It was after MLG decided to go NBNS. Ogre2 was afraid it would change the meta (which his team was dominanting before) so that's when the no bloom equals no skill tweet happened. No I don't have a link because it was probably deleted 9 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, xxcloud7xx said:

I don't want to put you on the spot but do you happen to have a link to that tweet? If you think OGRE2 is trying to gaslight people with that teambeyond post that I linked then please post a link to that tweet if you have it. Please keep in mind that OGRE2 is still one of the best Halo 1 players in the world and according to himself his favortie Halo games are Halo 1 and Halo 2, not Halo Reach. He rated both Halo 1 and Halo 2 a 9, rated vanilla Halo Reach a 4, and rated nbns Halo Reach a 6.

It would be really stupid if OGRE2 truly believed that the bloom effect on Halo 1's pistol is the main aspect of the game that makes Halo 1's pistol skillful. On the original Xbox version of Halo 1 the only way you can get the full bloom effect with the pistol is if you hold down the trigger.

•  

It was after MLG decided to go NBNS. Ogre2 was afraid it would change the meta (which his team was dominanting before) so that's when the no bloom equals no skill tweet happened. No I don't have a link because it was probably deleted 9 years ago. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Idk what’s going on but h5 feels awful RN. The input lag is huge 

Right now? Lmao welcome to Halo 5 enjoy your stay. You can't stop playing H5 and do something else because when you come back your brain realizes something is horribly wrong and it takes awhile to get used to aiming not working 

• Fire (+1) 3

Did they remove the jump delay from CE on PC or something? I just purchased a wire to plug my controller in, and in my first CE match I noticed instantly. 

16 hours ago, Basu said:

I'm going to take what you said with a grain of salt since you don't have a link to that tweet. That being said if this is true then it sounds to me like your typical will to power human nature. If this is true then he probably said that because at the time he valued his team remaining on top dominating and earning money more than he valued the principle of optimizing the game for competitive play. Pro Halo players having a bias due to having a huge money incentive is exactly why people should take their opinions with a grain of salt when it comes to weapon sandbox design, map design, movement mechanics, melee mechanics, grenade mechanics, power item timers, gametype settings, and the design philosophy of future iterations of Halo games.

I don't recall OGRE2 raising an issue when Halo 1 NHE removed the spread from the pistol or when 343i removed the spread/bloom from the pistol in the HCE Hardcore Doubles playlist on the MCC. Maybe if the competitive Halo 1 scene had a lot of money in it then maybe OGRE2 would of raised an issue with Halo 1 NHE removing the spread from the pistol and 343i removing the spread/bloom from the pistol in the HCE Hardcore Doubles playlist on MCC. Anyways that's just pure speculation on my part, I honestly have no clue if he would support the removal of the pistol spread from Halo 1 NHE and the removal of the pistol spread/bloom in the HCE Hardcore Doubles playlist on the MCC if there was a lot of money in the competitive Halo 1 scene.

• Like (+1) 1

All this hand-holding just to understand a basic concept. 

I feel bad for whoever has to onboard toast for his first job. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1

Make his posts invisible and move on, people.

On another note, I was actually curious about the OS vs Super Camo on Construct. I thought the Camo is there because top control is more important than having an OS, since the pathways up are all visible from the top, thus rendering the OS melted safely most of the time. Am I wrong?

• Like (+1) 5

58 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Make his posts invisible and move on, people.

On another note, I was actually curious about the OS vs Super Camo on Construct. I thought the Camo is there because top control is more important than having an OS, since the pathways up are all visible from the top, thus rendering the OS melted safely most of the time. Am I wrong?

From my perspective, OS is a great addition to king because of how telegraphed movement is on the map - dropping is NOT always a good option, and a coordinated team with top control are going to be able to zero in on OS making a push more often than not. Why drop and potentially lose control? 

Slayer is much more punishing. I cant imagine willingly dropping on Cstruct, risk spawning my teammates bottom, just to get dogpiled. Is camo's current implementation problematic in that it allows for one good push? Yes. Does camo allow a team trapped bottom to escape if camo executes properly? Yes. 

32 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

Is camo's current implementation problematic in that it allows for one good push? Yes. 

you're saying its problematic because they only get 1 push? 

on another note, camo still sucks. The problem of construct is that you can soft cover the lifts because you can hear them then just hard stare at back gold and sword legs

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, xxcloud7xx said:

I'm going to take what you said with a grain of salt since you don't have a link to that tweet.

The tweet is long gone, but it was live. Here's an old TB post corroborating its existence: 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

The tweet is long gone, but it was live. Here's an old TB post corroborating its existence: 

If that tweet did exist at one point in time then there are a few different narratives/interpretations of the tweet that can possibly exist.

• The first narrative/interpretation of the tweet is that Ogre2 was being completely genuine when he said "no bloom = no skill".
  • The second narrative/interpretation of the tweet is that Ogre2 wasn't being genuine at all and he was being sarcastic and was trolling when he said "no bloom = no skill" .
  • The third narrative/interpretation of the tweet is that Ogre2 wasn't being genuine at all and he only said "no bloom = no skill" because at the time that he made the tweet he valued his team remaining on top dominating and earning money more than he valued the principle of optimizing the game for competitive play and didn't care about compromising the integrity of the competitive settings of Halo Reach.

I don't think Ogre2 is ignorant enough about what makes competitive Halo tick to genuinely believe that "no bloom = no skill" in the context of Halo so I rule that narrative/interpretation of the tweet out. I personally believe that he was either being sarcastic and was trolling when he said "no bloom = no skill" or he said it because he wanted his team to remain on top and continue to dominate in Halo Reach. Regardless of Ogre2's true reasoning and intentions behind making that tweet I think people should take his and the rest of the pro Halo players opinions on various aspects of Halo with a grain of salt.

I could have sworn he said it in an interview about the Halo: Reach Beta. Like I have a vivid memory of some interview on the MLG website about the Beta with the 2010 Final Boss team. But it was also a decade ago, so who knows.

Either way, I always put it in the same category as the Halo 4 reviews we got from pros during the pre-release tournament. It's hard to criticize people for early opinions before they have had a chance to really see how a mechanic will play.

That tweet 100% happened, I remember it. Summer 2011, if I recall correctly. There was a lot of poor takes by pros around that time regarding bloom. 2Gre's team was solidly on top, though, so it makes sense he wanted continuity.

On an unrelated note, anyone got the MLG Dome map in MCC PC? Not the Octagon, but the one with half a crate and the A/B walls in the middle?

• Like (+1) 3

Just got done playing like 15 games of h3 with the hitreg fix. The shot reg is officially pretty good, but for some reason it feels like the game is even MORE teamshot centric than it was before. Maybe its simply that better players were online because the fix just dropped but in every game the enemies were running around in pairs of twos, or even 3 and occasionally all 4. The number of instances where I could fight someone without having 2+ people shooting at me seems to have dropped significantly. All this to say, it’s still halo 3...

• Like (+1) 1