CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

On 9/17/2020 at 4:38 PM, Landonio said:

oh boy

Not to attack snakebite or anything, but even at 1.75x speed this is hard to watch. He speaks for roughly 10 minutes to explain the idea that the game you had the most fun with isn't automatically the best game - that one game isn't better they're all just different. I feel enlightened after hearing such deep wisdom. 

His arguments were often very flimsy too. "In the older halos u just move so slow!" Ahh yes, that must be why CS:GO and Valorant are such commercial failures.. Oh wait... "Halo 3 is boring to watch": I actually agree, but there is a reason it is boring to watch and that reason isn't nostalgia. It's the shit utility weapon, shit sandbox, and shit maps that people have called out for being shit since the game released.

The icing on the cake for me is after he says that h5 is his favorite, he admits he is bored of it cause it's 5 years old and he wants to play something new. "Thrust pack OLD and BORING. Grapple hook NEW and FUN." - Snakebite 2021

• Like (+1) 7

27 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Pros are dummies and always have been. 

*pros and big brain name twitch streamers.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hootspa said:

Not to attack snakebite or anything, but even at 1.75x speed this is hard to watch. He speaks for roughly 10 minutes to explain the idea that the game you had the most fun with isn't automatically the best game - that one game isn't better they're all just different. I feel enlightened after hearing such deep wisdom. 

His arguments were often very flimsy too. "In the older halos u just move so slow!" Ahh yes, that must be why CS:GO and Valorant are such commercial failures.. Oh wait... "Halo 3 is boring to watch": I actually agree, but there is a reason it is boring to watch and that reason isn't nostalgia. It's the shit utility weapon, shit sandbox, and shit maps that people have called out for being shit since the game released.

The icing on the cake for me is after he says that h5 is his favorite, he admits he is bored of it cause it's 5 years old and he wants to play something new. "Thrust pack OLD and BORING. Grapple hook NEW and FUN." - Snakebite 2021

What made me cringe 10x harder than the actual video was a dude in the comment section saying that Halo 5 was going down as his favorite video game, not Halo game but VIDEO GAME, of all time. After I read that I promptly proceeded to throw my computer out the window.

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone ever casted a high level game of halo 1? If so, how did it go? I’m really wondering if it would even be possible to cast it effectively as everything happens so fast. 

4 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

Has anyone ever casted a high level game of halo 1? If so, how did it go? I’m really wondering if it would even be possible to cast it effectively as everything happens so fast. 

@Hard Way @Knighty Knight

• Like (+1) 7

39 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

This was my favorite series from the Halo Classic in St. Louis. Super close series between two excellent teams. I timestamped it. Hope you enjoy!

Woah this is amazing. I had no idea this event happened. I got worried that the h1 format wouldn’t be able to be casted well, but now I realize it’s probably just because I could NEVER be a caster haha

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

Woah this is amazing. I had no idea this event happened. I got worried that the h1 format wouldn’t be able to be casted well, but now I realize it’s probably just because I could NEVER be a caster haha

Halo 1’s pace/mechanics, like quick spawning power items, nade physics, and random spawns, make spectating enjoyable because a knowledgeable caster can briefly delve into a player’s motivations while still keeping up with the overarching match narrative.  

Maybe I just prefer a more laid back casting style but I like that it took multiple snipes in rapid succession to get them really excited.  Not that I hate the BR but I don’t need a caster losing his mind over a dIrTY fOuR.  

• Like (+1) 4

On a rare optimistic note, I'm more than excited for the (long-overdue) hit reg patch to drop. Maybe sweating in H3 TS might become fun again. 

Also, the automag and brute PR are awesome, especially the BPR. It's obviously not an ideal auto, but it's pretty sweet looking for a sandbox that's as bland as H3. Likewise for the automag, the gun kills in 4 shots on 110% damage so it'll be a breath of fresh air with a lower TTK utility. 

48 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Halo 1’s pace/mechanics, like quick spawning power items, nade physics, and random spawns, make spectating enjoyable because a knowledgeable caster can briefly delve into a player’s motivations while still keeping up with the overarching match narrative.  

Maybe I just prefer a more laid back casting style but I like that it took multiple snipes in rapid succession to get them really excited.  Not that I hate the BR but I don’t need a caster losing his mind over a dIrTY fOuR.  

Someone post the clip where Strongside gets excited and then forgets to stop yelling for a solid minute. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

On 9/17/2020 at 3:38 PM, Landonio said:

oh boy

Just further goes to show that the pros dont know how to maximize the skill gap. 

Whether it's 2gre saying "no bloom = no skill," ryanoob saying "H4 is the best halo," ghost developing stupid settings for H4, pistola saying "I want halo infinite to be H2 + advanced movement," etc... 

Countless examples. Really hate that 343 perceives these clowns as representing the competitive halo community. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Just further goes to show that the pros dont know how to maximize the skill gap. 

Whether it's 2gre saying "no bloom = no skill," ryanoob saying "H4 is the best halo," ghost developing stupid settings for H4, pistola saying "I want halo infinite to be H2 + advanced movement," etc... 

Countless examples. Really hate that 343 perceives these clowns as representing the competitive halo community. 

Because they technically do. They’re the ones competing so they hold the weight. 

11 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Because they technically do. They’re the ones competing so they hold the weight. 

I mean, they’re competing in games that are nothing like the original game. I will concede that the pros are much more knowledgeable about the intimate details of teamshot BR style halo. However, I’m not interested in that type of gameplay what-so-ever (and neither are they btw), so I’ll just continue valuing my own opinions over what they have to say about whichever trendy game is making them money at that moment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Creating is not the same as competing. Being really good at something doesn't actually even mean that you understand all of the rules. Take NBA players for example they're generally the best basketball players in the world but there is an absolutely enormous gap between the average NBA player and the one who can bait fouls all game because he understands exactly what the refs see and why they call the way they do. The point being that while you can both be great at competing and understand everything down to the small details you don't have to be one to be the other. They're people just like the rest of us, as are the developers of the game, so anyone with a logical and realistic take on the mechanics has an opinion worth just as much. There's no reason to note who it is or what they do if you're willing to think about and understand the arguments they're making

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

so anyone with a logical and realistic take on the mechanics has an opinion worth just as much.

Yeah people like you say stuff like this but 9/10 it’s never true. Or it’s never practiced . Everyone’s opinion isn’t worth the same because  In this matter no ones going to listen to you over the words of a pro. And that includes those who build the game. 

I mean if we want to be realistic then Halo died long ago and what we've been witnessing since 2012 has just been 343 trying to resuscitate the corpse by pouring butane on it

Everybody on this thread wants to imagine what we'd do in a perfect Halo game, not what the pros think or what the devs do. 

Everybody on here has abandoned hope. Maybe Infinite bombing will shake some sense into the H3 kids on twitter. 

343 just doesn't give a fuck about us. They'll market the game competitively and pretend to care, but they'll still ultimately craft the game to their idiotic tastes and leave everybody to develop a taste for the shit that they squeeze out. 

There is no fucking hope dude. "Realistic expectations" no one wants to give two fucks about coaxing and pleading with the devs.

If they think that "rEtuRniNg tO Ce'S RoOtS" means making a mockery of CE by keeping sprint, slide, clamber, and putting H3 equipment in, then there's just no fucking way that they'll ever make a good Halo game. 

If you want any level of realistic expectations for devs/pros, you should probably go and ask for a lower sprint velocity delta and for thrust to not be a base ability. They're fucking below-sea-level standards, but those are probably the highest you'll be able to get with 343.  That's why nobody cares about "realistic expectations". 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Yeah people like you say stuff like this but 9/10 it’s never true. Or it’s never practiced . Everyone’s opinion isn’t worth the same because  In this matter no ones going to listen to you over the words of a pro. And that includes those who build the game. 

How come any time this subject comes up you can never distinguish between normative and positive statements? No one is saying that people don't put more weight on pros' opinions. We all know people do. What we're saying is that doing so, simply because they are pros, is stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Basu said:

We all remember that tweet.

I don't want to put you on the spot but do you happen to have a link to that tweet? If you think OGRE2 is trying to gaslight people with that teambeyond post that I linked then please post a link to that tweet if you have it. Please keep in mind that OGRE2 is still one of the best Halo 1 players in the world and according to himself his favortie Halo games are Halo 1 and Halo 2, not Halo Reach. He rated both Halo 1 and Halo 2 a 9, rated vanilla Halo Reach a 4, and rated nbns Halo Reach a 6.

It would be really stupid if OGRE2 truly believed that the bloom effect on Halo 1's pistol is the main aspect of the game that makes Halo 1's pistol skillful. On the original Xbox version of Halo 1 the only way you can get the full bloom effect with the pistol is if you hold down the trigger.

•  

• Like (+1) 4

It’d be really sick if they’d put the Sandbox maps at a lower weighting in BTB. Ive played a shitty Sandbox map four matches in a row and if I have to play another I’m Straight up uninstalling this game. 

Why, oh why, do they REFUSE to implement a veto system?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, xxcloud7xx said:

I don't want to put you on the spot but do you happen to have a link to that tweet? If you think OGRE2 is trying to gaslight people with that teambeyond post that I linked then please post a link to that tweet if you have it. Please keep in mind that OGRE2 is still one of the best Halo 1 players in the world and according to himself his favortie Halo games are Halo 1 and Halo 2, not Halo Reach. He rated both Halo 1 and Halo 2 a 9, rated vanilla Halo Reach a 4, and rated nbns Halo Reach a 6.

It would be really stupid if OGRE2 truly believed that the bloom effect on Halo 1's pistol is the main aspect of the game that makes Halo 1's pistol skillful. On the original Xbox version of Halo 1 the only way you can get the full bloom effect with the pistol is if you hold down the trigger.

•  

Yo, Rippon! I was wondering what he was up to these days.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

It’d be really sick if they’d put the Sandbox maps at a lower weighting in BTB. Ive played a shitty Sandbox map four matches in a row and if I have to play another I’m Straight up uninstalling this game. 

Why, oh why, do they REFUSE to implement a veto system?

Because people aren't down their throats enough for it

It's fucking unbelievable how we literally got the MCC ported to PC before we got a veto system or pre/post game lobby