CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

It may be CoD, but MW2019's 725 with slug rounds is a great shotgun. It even has noticeable travel time from afar. It makes people even more mad also because you're sniping with a shotgun.

• Thonking (+0) 1

I still remember seeing that very first trailer for odst, back when it was called Halo 3: Recon. Fuckin remember getting so hyped for it.

• Like (+1) 4

H3 bullets are supposed to register at close range even when leading behind an opponent, meanwhile here I am with my reticle directly on my opponent and I consistently have whole 1-2 bursts going blank in nearly every matchmaking game

I'm not sure if my internet connection somehow got exponentially worse or if 343 just have the same level of disregard towards servers as they do game-affecting bugs

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

H3 bullets are supposed to register at close range even when leading behind an opponent, meanwhile here I am with my reticle directly on my opponent and I consistently have whole 1-2 bursts going blank in nearly every matchmaking game

I'm not sure if my internet connection somehow got exponentially worse or if 343 just have the same level of disregard towards servers as they do game-affecting bugs

You know they outlined exactly why this happens and have a fix for it coming on the 22nd right?

On 9/14/2020 at 1:01 AM, Reamis25 said:

My point is why should sound not be a category of awareness in halo? Has it magically broken the game? I don’t think it has at all. I don’t see competitive players complaining about them usually. The only tine I ever saw complaints on them was in head to head. 

Soundwhoring shouldn't be a category of awareness in Halo because it deals a disproportionate disadvantage to flanking players. 

I'm not asking for maps like Countdown where there's 5 billion interconnected and redundant pathways, I'm asking for more maps like Chill Out. 

It's Halo, not CS. We want the game to play fluidly and not put people at a disadvantage for making aggressive plays, so that games don't turn into 15 minute standoffs that end 29-28. 

If you think the game should give you a player's information without you predicting or seeing said player, then there's no real reason for you to oppose radars either. Soundwhoring is only slightly more effortful than keeping one eyeball glued to your radar. 

• Fire (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

You know they outlined exactly why this happens and have a fix for it coming on the 22nd right?

I'm not even referring to that, I'm talking about MCC's own weird version of H3 hitreg. 

Less than half a year ago, I was getting much better connections on MCC. Even without much forward-leading at close and mid range, I was rarely dropping more than a burst at a time unless the guy lived in the Antarctic. 

Right now, if it weren't for the fact that I've been quite accustomed to the taste of shit, the game would be unplayable for me. The server quality has legitimately taken a giant dip. Even in p2p dark-age era MCC, I'd be getting more shots to connect.

It really kills your mood to play when every single kill is extended by 1-2 whole bursts.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Soundwhoring shouldn't be a category of awareness in Halo because it deals a disproportionate disadvantage to flanking players. 

I'm not asking for maps like Countdown where there's 5 billion interconnected and redundant pathways, I'm asking for more maps like Chill Out. 

It's Halo, not CS. We want the game to play fluidly and not put people at a disadvantage for making aggressive plays, so that games don't turn into 15 minute standoffs that end 29-28. 

If you think the game should give you a player's information without you predicting or seeing said player, then there's no real reason for you to oppose radars either. Soundwhoring is only slightly more efficacious than keeping one eyeball glued to your radar. 

Stop using that bullshiy excuse of halo this halo that. It works in halo! We don’t have maps like chill out and never ever will again!  
you can’t just rewardvpure aggression 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

I’ve been playing a lot oh h3 lately and I don’t understand wtf bungie was thinking when designing equipment. It’s hot garbage. An already slow game does not need artificially induced stalemates on a respawning timer. Do normies even like playing with that shit? It adds absolutely NOTHING to the game. Hats off to 343 btw by making sure the only playlist I can find matches in has equipment turned on in trash maps.

Playing h3 also has me thinking about sandbox design a lot. I cannot stress enough how bad h3s sandbox is. Whoever was responsible for that shit should be fired from their current job, that’s how bad it is. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Stop using that bullshiy excuse of halo this halo that. It works in halo! We don’t have maps like chill out and never ever will again!  
you can’t just rewardvpure aggression 

Rewarding sitting on your ass while crouching at 2nd BR ledge is obviously so much more conducive to good gameplay

You realize that you're putting yourself at a risk while being aggressive right? All someone has to do is anticipate your movement, and you're almost certainly going to lose. 

"We don't have maps like chill out and never will again!"

K, we won't have movement like old Halo back and probably never will. So let's just trash all discussion on the topic, shall we? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hootspa said:

I’ve been playing a lot oh h3 lately and I don’t understand wtf bungie was thinking when designing equipment. It’s hot garbage. An already slow game does not need artificially induced stalemates on a respawning timer. Do normies even like playing with that shit? It adds absolutely NOTHING to the game. Hats off to 343 btw by making sure the only playlist I can find matches in has equipment turned on in trash maps.

Playing h3 also has me thinking about sandbox design a lot. I cannot stress enough how bad h3s sandbox is. Whoever was responsible for that shit should be fired from their current job, that’s how bad it is. 

H3's sandbox is like a bucket of liquid shit, but it's probably the best overall sandbox out of H2-Reach. 

H2's is littered with useless weapons and ridiculously overpowered weapons that take zero skill to use. 

Reach is filled with unusable gutter trash that can't shoot straight or kill in anything below 1.8-2 seconds, on top of the single worst implementation of armor abilities in Halo (quite a staggering feat). 

Halo 3's weapons sandbox is on par with Halo 2 but some autos are a smidge more distinctive in their roles, even if they're still as brainless and one-dimensional as Halo 2. The BR is total cheeks, and the sniper rifle is unchallenged by anything. 

The equipment is just a new tier though, it's like Reach-AA levels of bad. Not only are they balanced in the most laughably stupid manner - even if you modified their properties to be balanced, many of their purposes would just be outright idiotic for a game like Halo. See: bubble shield and regen. 

If you watch high level H3 TS, it's part of the meta, and it's why every game of Guardian TS and Pit TS with two evenly skilled teams will run out the clock, without fail. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

many of their purposes would just be outright idiotic for a game like Halo. See: bubble shield

How I justify the inclusion of the Bubble Shield: 

The Bubble Shield is part of a system.  In an Invasion match featuring a team of Elites, the head Elite, the Field Marshall, always spawns with a Bubble Shield, deployed with the B button.  

The Field Marshall also spawns with an Energy Sword sidearm.  This melee weapon can be pulled out at any time by holding Y for a moment.  In conjunction with a Bubble Shield, the Energy Sword makes the Field Marshall near invincible, slashing any who enter his dome of doom.  

Why would we want to make a player near invincible?  Well, the Field Marshall acts as a buddy spawn beacon for all his teammates, letting them spawn on his forward position.  

Why would we want a near invincible forward spawn beacon?  In a large scale, asymmetric, Invasion match, the attacking Elites fight an uphill battle against foes occupying superior positions.  The Elites’ advantage is the ability to hammer away at enemy defenses by funneling teammates into the same location.  That location is determined by the Field Masrshall and the Field Marshall’s survival is dependent on his kit which includes a sword and a shield, a Bubble Shield.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Boyo said:

How I justify the inclusion of the Bubble Shield: 

The Bubble Shield is part of a system.  In an Invasion match featuring a team of Elites, the head Elite, the Field Marshall, always spawns with a Bubble Shield, deployed with the B button.  

The Field Marshall also spawns with an Energy Sword sidearm.  This melee weapon can be pulled out at any time by holding Y for a moment.  In conjunction with a Bubble Shield, the Energy Sword makes the Field Marshall near invincible, slashing any who enter his dome of doom.  

Why would we want to make a player near invincible?  Well, the Field Marshall acts as a buddy spawn beacon for all his teammates, letting them spawn on his forward position.  

Why would we want a near invincible forward spawn beacon?  In a large scale, asymmetric, Invasion match, the attacking Elites fight an uphill battle against foes occupying superior positions.  The Elites’ advantage is the ability to hammer away at enemy defenses by funneling teammates into the same location.  That location is determined by the Field Masrshall and the Field Marshall’s survival is dependent on his kit which includes a sword and a shield, a Bubble Shield.  

I'll declare this: the idea of large-scale and varied asymmetric gamemodes as opposed to scaled up BTB is something that I've actually done a complete 180 on. Not only can map design and sandbox design be radically different, but the variety of possible gamemodes combined with the variety of the sandbox means that it'd attract casual players like flies. 

My assumption is that you want the Field Marshall to behave like a one-man mobile base, correct? In that regard, why not just shields that are exponentially stronger? My problem with bubble shield in this mode is that it's still the same thing as it was in Halo 3: a get out of jail card. 

A Spartan takes 3 shots to kill perfectly from the DMR - the utility rifle. The Field Marshall takes 21 shots to kill perfectly from the DMR. The shield recharge wait is equal to that of a Spartan - 5.5 seconds, but the recharge rate is also identical, meaning that the Field Marshall must wait longer to have his shields fully recharge. 

I support the idea of giving the Field Marshall an Energy Sword as a remotely activated weapon. I don't think the Field Marshall should be able to wield it indefinitely, especially given the potential that this weapon has for decimating opponents in close quarters. It acts more like the armor ability sword from SPV3's Arbiter missions, where the sword can be held out and used freely for a ~15 second period before entering a cooldown. Though, how do you think that the sword should behave? 

I actually had an idea for a very similar gamemode, except with a mobile base (mammoth, scarab, forerunner structure) replacing the leader unit. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

My assumption is that you want the Field Marshall to behave like a one-man mobile base, correct?

My problem with bubble shield in this mode is that it's still the same thing as it was in Halo 3: a get out of jail card. 

Sort of.  A protected forward spawn beacon.  

One player out of 18 has the Bubble Shield and that’s only if you’re playing an Invasion match with Elites as one of the species.  

A Spartan takes 3 shots to kill perfectly from the DMR - the utility rifle. The Field Marshall takes 21 shots to kill perfectly from the DMR. The shield recharge wait is equal to that of a Spartan - 5.5 seconds, but the recharge rate is also identical, meaning that the Field Marshall must wait longer to have his shields fully recharge. 

Aside from a bunch of cool gear, I’m trying to keep the base traits of the Commanders, like the Field Marshall, as close to a regular troop as possible, not make them stronger or faster.  One idea I have considered is a helmet or secondary energy shield that protects from them from one precision headshot while their shields are down.  

I support the idea of giving the Field Marshall an Energy Sword as a remotely activated weapon. I don't think the Field Marshall should be able to wield it indefinitely, especially given the potential that this weapon has for decimating opponents in close quarters. It acts more like the armor ability sword from SPV3's Arbiter missions, where the sword can be held out and used freely for a ~15 second period before entering a cooldown. Though, how do you think that the sword should behave? 

Good question.  I suppose the true answer is we’ll have to see in testing but I’m not inherently opposed to some sort of time limit like that.  Could even link the sword and bubble shield, both energy items appearing and disappearing in tandem.  

I actually had an idea for a very similar gamemode, except with a mobile base (mammoth, scarab, forerunner structure) replacing the leader unit. 

You could still do that.  There are other species besides Elites.  I think a Promethean mobile base that can “dock” at certain parts of the map, automatically customizing its layout depending on where its docked, could be interesting.  You know how there’s always old forerunner shit buried in the sides of mountains and whatnot?  Well, when the base plugs into an outcropping, it powers on all sorts of stuff on the map too, modifying the local appearance and layout.  

The way you make this promethean mobile base small enough to fit on normal maps but big enough to deploy vehicles from is to make all promethean vehicles, single player vehicles.  The Unicycle, Sidecar, Scythe, and Shroud have small vehicle models and lone operators.  

Equipment was fun in a silly kind of way. If you want to be able to account for an entire match, obviously you're going to hate it.

8 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Equipment was fun in a silly kind of way. If you want to be able to account for an entire match, obviously you're going to hate it.

If regen acted like it’s h4 counter part I wouldn’t hate it. Bubble shield needs to be something you can destroy 

• Like (+1) 1

Its very easy to get kills with camo on construct. It lasts longer than normal camo and if the other team plays so passively that they sit and wait that means your entire team can push something. When your team begins to fight for top control the other team is put in a position where they have to actually maintain control and look for the camo guy at the same time and that is your opportunity to either make a really good or really bad play as the camo player. Basically its 4v4 not 1v4. Sure if all the guys up top had to think about was camo it would kind of suck and you should probably get mad at your team for doing that to you if it happens. Its all situational though sometimes the camo guy gets the kill and everyone pushes and sometimes people push and it opens up the map for camo to really flank

If someone compares Halo 5 to H1 through 3 I don't want to know them. They're not the same series. Should throw CoD4 and Quake in there too 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Landonio said:

oh boy

"No poll was conducted among Beyond members.

It's not even close to unanimous either."

6 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

It's toast.

70+ accounts

• Like (+1) 1
  • Hooked 5