CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

16 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Their mod support is basically "hey you can launch the game with anti cheat off".  Have they actually talked at all about releasing real modding tools?

They explained it in the waypoint update. Honestly with a team the size they have, I am ok with this because I would rather the vanilla experience be solid before working on community features.

Text from source:

MOD SUPPORT

There has not been a lot of communication from us on this and I’ve been asked about this a lot when speaking to people in the community. Our goal is still to support modding, but due to shift in development priorities that tends to happen over the course of a project, modding has continued to get pushed back over the past 6 or so months. The good news here is that we have reached a point where we are now able to spend some cycles to get the conversations, design, and planning going again. I am also now in active iteration on the EULA that lays out the ground rules for modding and player generated content with our legal team.

I understand this will be disappointing news to many of you, but the silver lining here is the EULA is in late stages. Once it is ready, we will re-assess what we can accomplish in the short, mid, and long-term timelines. Modding is close to my heart so I hope to be able to ramp this effort up more soon.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know if anyone enjoys these but they are great fun to make.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Would anyone else like to see H3's Forge be ported into ODST with Firefight maps serving as canvases? (Without AI of course) Along with custom games. 343 could essentially give the community the reigns over ODST MP.

Prolly a pipe dream but it would be cool.

I know this is a tired and long-done debate, but when it comes to team skillgap (to whatever degree you don't consider that phrase oxymoronic), I feel like H2 easily dwarfs H3. 

The way the maps are designed (open sightlines on every single route to challenge setups, bases on opposite sides of the map that can only be challenged from said mutually opposite bases), combined with the hitscan BR and wall-curving snipe, make it nearly impossible to break a competent team's setup. 

A short while ago, I played Lockout and Sanc TS with 3 other competent players, against a very skilled To4 Halo 2 players. On Lockout, me and my team got spawntrapped in bottom blue around a minute into the game, and we literally could not break out of blue. Likewise on Sanc, our spawns got forced into our rocks, and we literally were completely helpless until they milked us to 50. 

We were playing with comms and we're all fairly decent, all H2 MLG FFA on Middy/Lockout kids. 

However skilled my opponents in H3, I've never experienced that kind of annihilation. While playing with comms and decent teammates, I've never personally witnessed any enemy to4 holding a setup for more than 5 minutes. 

The discussion's dumb because both are teamshot-heavy non gameplay, but it's still something I thought worth bringing up. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Metaphysics said:

Would anyone else like to see H3's Forge be ported into ODST with Firefight maps serving as canvases? (Without AI of course) Along with custom games. 343 could essentially give the community the reigns over ODST MP.

Prolly a pipe dream but it would be cool.

It's a possibility since the latest flight snuck forge monitor models into the files alongside a bunch of other stuff from H3.

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

I know this is a tired and long-done debate, but when it comes to team skillgap (to whatever degree you don't consider that phrase oxymoronic), I feel like H2 easily dwarfs H3. 

The way the maps are designed (open sightlines on every single route to challenge setups, bases on opposite sides of the map that can only be challenged from said mutually opposite bases), combined with the hitscan BR and wall-curving snipe, make it nearly impossible to break a competent team's setup. 

A short while ago, I played Lockout and Sanc TS with 3 other competent players, against a very skilled To4 Halo 2 players. On Lockout, me and my team got spawntrapped in bottom blue around a minute into the game, and we literally could not break out of blue. Likewise on Sanc, our spawns got forced into our rocks, and we literally were completely helpless until they milked us to 50. 

We were playing with comms and we're all fairly decent, all H2 MLG FFA on Middy/Lockout kids. 

However skilled my opponents in H3, I've never experienced that kind of annihilation. While playing with comms and decent teammates, I've never personally witnessed any enemy to4 holding a setup for more than 5 minutes. 

The discussion's dumb because both are teamshot-heavy non gameplay, but it's still something I thought worth bringing up. 

Because in h3 you can’t force spawn people in the same location 24/7. In h2 you can force the enemy team to spawn rocks the whole time, where h3 you can’t do that on say the pit. Even if a guy on your team is in their mauler they’ll still spawn flag, needles, sometimes long half itself, and maybe even pit. H3 BR also isn’t fast enough and piss Easy as h2 BR where you can cross map easily 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

when it comes to team skillgap (to whatever degree you don't consider that phrase oxymoronic), I feel like H2 easily dwarfs H3. 

The fact that RNG is programmed into the H3 BR ends the discussion, whether we're talking individual or team skill gap. 

There are several reasons why H3's competitive merit is inferior to H2's, but the discussion doesn't need to go beyond the games' levels of RNG. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

You could argue halo 2 has bigger issues when it comes to snowballing but we don't have to talk about that.

Snipedown is in a Bud Light event and one of the games they're going to play is H3. If you want to watch him destroy big name streamers in Halo, now's the time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Kinda weird considering how hard he dumped on H3

He’s not playing it for fun, he’s playing it for the big exposure opportunity 

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Snipedown's a moron, what else is new

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a moron, though it's true that most pros who didn't start with CE have a bad habit of shilling for H5. 

The problem with pros is that their standards are literally rock-bottom as far as gameplay goes. A lot of pros had positive impressions of The 4 shortly after it's launch, simply because the weapons could actually shoot straight. 

Even otherwise, these are people who've been scrimming non-AM Halo for what, nearly 16 years now? With how completely jaded they are from playing CTF on Pit for the 12th year in a row, it's almost understandable why they're trashing on games without sprint. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

19 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a moron, though it's true that most pros who didn't start with CE have a bad habit of shilling for H5. 

The problem with pros is that their standards are literally rock-bottom as far as gameplay goes. A lot of pros had positive impressions of The 4 shortly after it's launch, simply because the weapons could actually shoot straight. 

Even otherwise, these are people who've been scrimming non-AM Halo for what, nearly 16 years now? With how completely jaded they are from playing CTF on Pit for the 12th year in a row, it's almost understandable why they're trashing on games without sprint. 

They want jobs in the industry/at 343 or something. Or they don't want to risk alienating casual fans who watch their content or might be interested in doing so. I don't know. But I thought it was hilarious when Snakebite uploaded a 10-minute video a month or so ago called "What I Want from Halo Infinite" or something to that effect, and he basically said nothing for the entire video. And I like Snakebite, for the record. But he could have used his growing platform and influence in the scene to talk about actual substantive changes and get more people on board with them, but instead it was just a low-effort view-grab upload with practically 0 substance. It's amazing that we're still doing that after 3 straight bad Halo games (4 if you count MCC). It's like battered wife syndrome or something. Nothing will ever change that way. You have to hold developers feet to the fire or they will never give you what you want. Like how a politician or political party isn't going to bend to your wishes until you actually show them that you're willing to not vote for them. Because once they have your vote, which is the only power you have, you're useless to them, and they could give two s***** about you.

Not to get too political, but it reminds me of how people are so willing to settle for mediocrity and incremental change, when it's so glaringly obvious that that's not what we need right now. Especially considering you never get all of what you want anyway. You're always going to get less, whether that's with games or with real life. Compromise is almost always the most likely course of action. So why not be vocal and push for the best possible things, so you can at least get something that's close to it? For example, you push for Medicare for All, but in reality you know it will probably be a public option. If you don't even push for a public option though, then you won't get shit. Make sense? So as far as Halo, you can't say "I don't care if the next Halo has sprint, I just want a good game". You might as well be saying "I want Halo to have sprint". You've basically guaranteed it to be in by saying that. Realistically, we all knew both Halo 5 and Halo Infinite were going to have sprint, but it doesn't mean you just bend over and take it. If you say, "I refuse to buy the next Halo if it has sprint", or even "the next Halo does not need sprint", especially if it's prominent and influential members of the community, then you're more likely to get something closer to a desired outcome. You probably won't get a game with 0 sprint, but you might get something like the campaign having sprint and ranked multiplayer not having it. Or half of the playlists having it, half not. Or even like a voting system pre-match. Something. Anything would be better than 100% sprint all the time for everything. 

Sorry if I got rambly, but hopefully that made some sense. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Landonio said:

... you push for Medicare for All, but in reality you know it will probably be a public option. If you don't even push for a public option though, then you won't get shit. 

If you shoot for the stars, you might hit the moon. 

Sad to see these pro players concede on gameplay upfront while being percieved as representing the competitive community. 

Pro halo players do not fucking represent the competitive community. That ship sailed a long time ago. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, _Synapse said:

I'll never forget this.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Just now, Landonio said:

That shit made me cringe into the next galaxy :laughing:

You could slap "Parody" in the title and it'll make more sense. What Ninja said was insanity. Reddit ass takes all around though.

• Simms (+1) 1

I like how people think that a bunch of people professionally playing Halo coming out of years of watching their scene die would do anything other than hype up legitimately anything that has to do with them having tournaments to go to again. They didn't think about it or even say what they thought. They straight up stood there trying to help sell people on the game for themselves like anyone else would in that situation. 

You're watching a gamespot video with T2 interviewing people that he knows lmao. Listen to the first 30 seconds its easily the fakest interaction you could possibly come up with. Even in the small criticisms you can tell they're being fake happy with it and holding back anyways so it sounds good

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I like how people think that a bunch of people professionally playing Halo coming out of years of watching their scene die would do anything other than hype up legitimately anything that has to do with them having tournaments to go to again. They didn't think about it or even say what they thought. They straight up stood there trying to help sell people on the game for themselves like anyone else would in that situation. 

You're watching a gamespot video with T2 interviewing people that he knows lmao. Listen to the first 30 seconds its easily the fakest interaction you could possibly come up with. Even in the small criticisms you can tell they're being fake happy with it and holding back anyways so it sounds good

Regardless - Halo 4 is still the best shooter ever.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 1