CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

17 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

How Overwatch ever became an eSport I will never know

You know this is a website dedicated to a game that is essentially easy mode quake with a controller and aim assist on consoles which eventually became an esport right? Not sure we can talk down to anyone even if that were something we wanted to do lol

• Upvote (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, TrTomgi said:

This comparison made no sense.

The viewership for quake over the past 25 years has been far more consistent and the community has stayed tight. Quake wins the esports consumer battle.

11 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

You know this is a website dedicated to a game that is essentially easy mode quake with a controller and aim assist on consoles which eventually became an esport right? Not sure we can talk down to anyone even if that were something we wanted to do lol

Not really since Overwatch is press Q to win especially on consoles.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I feel like even "easy mode Quake" is an insult to Quake if I watch some of the esport modes, yesterday saw some old H3 pros play Onslaught CTF, there are 0 useful pickups on the map, the aiming skillgap is almost non existent and teamshot is the only viable strategy.
Honestly I cannot see how this is even remotely related to Quake to begin with, there is no weapon choice, no item cycles, no flanking, no individual plays, no power ups, no skill based movement, barely any positioning besides getting on the side towers and the strategy boils down to "teamshot them with BR until enough are dead to pull a flag". If people seriously think there is much skill to this I don't know what they would consider easy going.

If anything CE is the closest to easy mode Quake I guess, at least it preserves some of the nice arena shooter map design in some cases.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Halo needs to firmly establish solid fundamental mechanics, add a lot of non-surface level subtleties and tricks that can be learned and mastered, and design maps that don't play in a set manner every single time. That's all that it needs to be decent competitively. 

At the moment, the biggest problems are that the sandbox designers have their heads screwed on backwards, and that the dev team's map designers are still trying to poorly imitate H2 and H3's shallow maps. 

Does anyone know a fileshare where I can get the final competitive H4 settings? Or at least what the final version number was so I keep trying to find them?

I never played any of the comp settings myself and would be interested in trying them out if they're still available.

4 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Does anyone know a fileshare where I can get the final competitive H4 settings? Or at least what the final version number was so I keep trying to find them?

I never played any of the comp settings myself and would be interested in trying them out if they're still available.

Throwdown v5 (or just v5 settings). Mostly everything could be found under Ghostayame's GT. Unofficially there's the Top Mid/EU no sprint settings that were made at the tail end of H4 but even I can't find where to get those files.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Throwdown v5 (or just v5 settings). Mostly everything could be found under Ghostayame's GT. Unofficially there's the Top Mid/EU no sprint settings that were made at the tail end of H4 but even I can't find where to get those files.

Thanks! Your response helped me find the old Beyond thread on the H4 settings. I had forgotten that there was Ricochet planned for comp H4.  It never came about because v5 was supposed to debut at an AGL event in Indianapolis that ended up shifting from a planned H4 event to a H3 event (to a cancelled event and defunct AGL), right?

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2020 at 11:01 PM, _Synapse said:

Are there any current-era FPS that have zero bullet magnetism and hitboxes that are completely limited to character model proportions? 

I'm interested to see how such a game fares online. 

Perfect Dark Zero was the last game I played with little to no bullet magnetism. It was S H I T.

But also infection with 16 bots + 24 players was stupid dumb fun.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

Thanks! Your response helped me find the old Beyond thread on the H4 settings. I had forgotten that there was Ricochet planned for comp H4.  It never came about because v5 was supposed to debut at an AGL event in Indianapolis that ended up shifting from a planned H4 event to a H3 event (to a cancelled event and defunct AGL), right?

Sounds about right lol.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:38 AM, Warlord Wossman said:

If anything CE is the closest to easy mode Quake I guess, at least it preserves some of the nice arena shooter map design in some cases.

Put some respek on H1. Outside of Rapha, there isn't an extreme skill gap between the top 10 players in Quake..especially now with Quake Pro League. Hell, even Rapha drops maps. Ogre1 and Ogre 2 never lost a single on host game in H1. The skill gap in H1 is massive, even in the top 10. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, _Synapse said:

COD with zero aim assist on controller could probably be really fun

It would actually be a really good game. The "controllers need aim assist" debate is so bad I can rarely muster the energy or interest to break it apart. 

And calling CE "easy mode Quake" is moronic. That's like saying Soccer is easy mode Hockey because the players go slower. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigShow36 said:

It would actually be a really good game. The "controllers need aim assist" debate is so bad I can rarely muster the energy or interest to break it apart. 

When we were modding Halo 4 gametypes, we tested no aim assist.  Players emptied entire clips at each other and hit nothing but air.  

12 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Less AA > No AA I thought we knew this guys.

I mean for Halo, yeah. COD's aiming is fundamentally different though, with ADS + faster killtimes

33 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

I mean for Halo, yeah. COD's aiming is fundamentally different though, with ADS + faster killtimes

Personally I liked BO2's AA levels, they are noticeably lower than the CoDs before and after. BO3 having no AA on snipers was also a pretty good call.

1 hour ago, BigShow36 said:

And calling CE "easy mode Quake" is moronic. That's like saying Soccer is easy mode Hockey because the players go slower. 

Its not just movement speed. Its that they took the gist of Quake and slowed it down/reduced it to work for a controller. Not the campaign but the afterthought multiplayer they added for CE. It worked out well but its pretty transparent where the inspiration came from. Conceptually they didn't do anything new they just adjusted it to fit the game. The power ups, the timers, the way weapons are placed on maps etc. None of that came from Halo. It may be more correct to just say easy mode arena shooter or console friendly arena shooter "influences". The innovative thing bungie did with CE is making that work so well with a controller in your hands. It takes skill and intelligence to play CE but its definitely little brother to the games they took those ideas from much the same way people would compare later Halo titles to CE

Its actually a really good representation of how gaming evolved over the last ~30 years. Most of the successful titles have taken ideas and dumbed them down to become more accessible to much larger audiences. Its a pretty neat transition if you can figure out where the influences come from and track where they end up before its all said and done. Another good example would be the MMO genre coming from text based games all the way through Everquest and finally into WoW and each step of the way they figure out a way to broaden the appeal of the same general idea

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, _Synapse said:

COD with zero aim assist on controller could probably be really fun

It's feasible to pull of because of the overall lethality of the game, but I wouldn't put money on CoD becoming more fun on console over it.

Are the seasonal challenges broken for anyone else? I mean it is to be expected with 343, but it is pretty annoying I won't be able to get my Gold CE skins. 

1 hour ago, NAK said:

Are the seasonal challenges broken for anyone else? I mean it is to be expected with 343, but it is pretty annoying I won't be able to get my Gold CE skins. 

Challenges have been buggy in general. I suggest making a custom firefight. Unlocked those skins pretty quick.