CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

No one can deny that h3 is teamshot city central, but i think the short br range, in like haphazardly backward way, makes the team shot a little more fun for me personally. The reason being that you are forced to close the distance in order to maximize the guns effectiveness, which prevents long range standoffs on some maps. Halo 2 had this issue at times and I always found that to be boring.

Now, in better designed game, you'd just make the player more powerful in order to get them to move and not constantly stay with their team in one spot all game. But this is just something I thought of recently. Am I just crazy or is there a "there" there?

15 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I wouldn't really go out on that limb. I've found more beyond posters on H3 MCC than any other type of MCC/H5

You can enjoy a game more and objectively see its a worse game. Just takes some logical thinking skills. Same way people can enjoy checkers over chess. 

But ye. I agree. Most people here are on h3. 

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

You play modded settings of reach with forge kids in 2020.  You sound exactly as I would suspect.  

How dare you call me a Forge kid.

7 hours ago, xboxdigger 94 said:

Usually I don't ask for advice however I played a bit of H3 doubles yesterday and the day before. Being a 50 myself I quickly ranked up and kept playing against other players  (50s clearly), and while I beat most, there are a few players that are incredibly hard to beat because of their snipers. If they pick up the sniper, even if you shoot them and hit them, they will still hit you with the sniper more often than not, and they will very often even headshot you. 

I can blame a lot of it on me not playing constantly, and these players do. I might play a few days per month or every other month, and then drop the game again. I can also probably blame some of it on host, meaning my shots won't connect and because of that they get some time to zoom in and hit me. I am EU, and these are american players. The host is always US.

If I stick to the game more than 3 days I am thinking about incorporating poke-shooting into my gameplay, meaning when playing against these players I need to be more vary of my movement and poke my nose in and out of behind walls a lot more.

Any suggestions?

The best players will hit you everytime. Theres little counterplay to the snipe other than flanking and hope they miss

5 hours ago, OG Nick said:

No one here flat out hates Halo 3, we just acknowledge it has many shortcomings and was riding a wave a popularity coming from Halo 2 and just about any game would have seen hundreds of thousands of players following the hype of H2

I hate the fact halo ce was first and 3 was last. Imagine if ce was released 3rd with theater and online and the best matchmaking system overall. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Riddler said:

I hate the fact halo ce was first and 3 was last. Imagine if ce was released 3rd with theater and online. 

Halo ce with halo 3s level of content, art style and music production wouldve been incredible.

• Like (+1) 4

Everything required to make a solid Halo game is found in the first 3 games. Whenever anyone says that sprint or advanced mobility were necessary additions, I assume immediately that they don't know what nade tricks are, how to pull off even a BXB, and can't do the G1-G2 jump. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, xboxdigger 94 said:

Usually I don't ask for advice however I played a bit of H3 doubles yesterday and the day before. Being a 50 myself I quickly ranked up and kept playing against other players  (50s clearly), and while I beat most, there are a few players that are incredibly hard to beat because of their snipers. If they pick up the sniper, even if you shoot them and hit them, they will still hit you with the sniper more often than not, and they will very often even headshot you. 

I can blame a lot of it on me not playing constantly, and these players do. I might play a few days per month or every other month, and then drop the game again. I can also probably blame some of it on host, meaning my shots won't connect and because of that they get some time to zoom in and hit me. I am EU, and these are american players. The host is always US.

If I stick to the game more than 3 days I am thinking about incorporating poke-shooting into my gameplay, meaning when playing against these players I need to be more vary of my movement and poke my nose in and out of behind walls a lot more.

Any suggestions?

Halo 3 was the first Halo where sniping could be both difficult and someone on your team could also be good enough at it to shut down the entire map because the other weapons weren't quite as dangerous. Its important to make yourself hard to hit. That sounds obvious but most players, even above average players, will just run out in pretty straight lines or just kinda jump and get blained/no scoped A LOT when they do run into players who are good at it. Basically just try to not make an average play or be too predictable and those people will start missing a lot of those no scopes because typically people are letting you walk/fall into their shot and not actually trying to constantly aim. Go watch snip3down play H3 and you'll see what I mean his pre aim is god tier and people just run right into that shit. He's also great at just taking his time and making small adjustments too but you'll see most of that crazy sniping stat line comes from just pre aiming very well

https://i.imgur.com/OfLwcUO.mp4

Just don't do stuff like this or you're probably gonna get it more often than not

If you go to Steam Charts and look at the numbers for MCC since H3 has come out, it is very clear how NA (North America/Americans) carries the Halo nostalgia on its back. Huge drop offs in the night after most people go to sleep. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

NA? North America?

Yes. I'll edit it. Specifically Americans though. 

6 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

No one can deny that h3 is teamshot city central, but i think the short br range, in like haphazardly backward way, makes the team shot a little more fun for me personally. The reason being that you are forced to close the distance in order to maximize the guns effectiveness, which prevents long range standoffs on some maps. Halo 2 had this issue at times and I always found that to be boring.

Now, in better designed game, you'd just make the player more powerful in order to get them to move and not constantly stay with their team in one spot all game. But this is just something I thought of recently. Am I just crazy or is there a "there" there?

It's more fun if the utility weapon is projectile imo, but that could also be said for CE, the cross mapping with hitscan in H2, Reach, H4 and H5 feel a little cheap to me. But the difficulty in hitting people should be projectile velocity not random spread to reward good aiming instead of making every burst a lottery entry.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

It's more fun if the utility weapon is projectile imo, but that could also be said for CE, the cross mapping with hitscan in H2, Reach, H4 and H5 feel a little cheap to me. But the difficulty in hitting people should be projectile velocity not random spread to reward good aiming instead of making every burst a lottery entry.

Agreed. Projie speed already kind forces you to close the distance because the further out you get the harder it is to account for the math. Halo 3 and ce just add the spread cone on top. 

Funny thing about spread tho. I remember complaining about it in discord once and got called a boomer. It was kind of funny but it also made me realize that things like spread are just universally accepted mechanics at this point. People just understand what it means for gun play. Doesn't make it an objectively good mechanic, but it does explain why halo 3 is do highly regarded despite it. It just doesn't bother most players. 

The fact that 343 gave H3 lots of cool new forge features

• Higher budget 
  • different objects
  • coordinate placement and rotation
  • precision object movement 
  • phasing

but left the bug (from OG halo 3 on 360) where you save your map and objects randomly rotate creating bumps which mess up the maps geometry just baffles me

11 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

This is the eureka moment the h3 h8rs need. Bungie literally posted an update before h3 came explaining the intentional random spread to promote closer ranged gameplay. 

Is this inferior design? To competitive players that hone their skill and would love to cross map. Definitely. 

Is it completely pointless complaining about this design when it's very much intentional?. Definitely. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

12 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

Is it completely pointless complaining about this design when it's very much intentional?. Definitely. 

Isn't it the opposite? Arguing against this change would have been useless had it been unintentional. Now that it's intentional, it's a design philosophy that may be used in new Halo games. 

And no, it being intentional doesn't make H3 automatically good. If they wanted to really facilitate close quarters play and not just a less consistent version of H2 teamshot, then they should have reduced the TTK too. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Isn't it the opposite? Arguing against this change would have been useless had it been unintentional. Now that it's intentional, it's a design philosophy that may be used in new Halo games. 

And no, it being intentional doesn't make H3 automatically good. If they wanted to really facilitate close quarters play and not just a less consistent version of H2 teamshot, then they should have reduced the TTK too. 

If there was no spread it still would be less consistent than h2 being projec. Arguing when it came out sure. Ten, thirteen years later is pointless. Its not like rng is the problem with halo 4 and 5.

Where did i say intentional close quarters made the game good? I said it's working as intended. Which reminds me of a fun fact h3 h8rs have such a hard time getting their heads around. 

The spread makes no difference in RR range (assuming everyone isnt half a world away- but that's netcodes problem) where 90% of h3 is supposed to be played. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

4 hours ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

The fact that 343 gave H3 lots of cool new forge features

• Higher budget 
  • different objects
  • coordinate placement and rotation
  • precision object movement 
  • phasing

but left the bug (from OG halo 3 on 360) where you save your map and objects randomly rotate creating bumps which mess up the maps geometry just baffles me

I hear you, but it's not a bug in the sense that it was unknown, overlooked, and unintended. They for sure knew that it was like that, and it's a result of the way that the information is saved.  From my understanding, in order to get completely accurate copies of a map after saving, it would require them to design it so that both the saving and downloading processes would take much, much longer than they do currently. 

Basically what the current system does is save the data points associated with each object. When it comes to the object location, it's looking at the 'origin point', and plotting it to a point within the world. Most times these points don't align perfectly, and the action of saving the map aligns them (which results in slight movements of the objects).  I may be not completely right in that explanation, but that's essentially my understanding of why the misalignment happens in Forge after saving and reloading a level.

5 hours ago, xboxdigger 94 said:

3>2>1>4>R

CE & H2 >>>>>>>>>>> Everything else. 

Also, hello everyone. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Riddler said:

You can enjoy a game more and objectively see its a worse game. Just takes some logical thinking skills. Same way people can enjoy checkers over chess. 

But ye. I agree. Most people here are on h3. 

Want to play H3 bro. Naw bro. It's too fun.

... Let's play a game that plays like asshole dirt.

H3 > CE because the H3 BR IS the greatest utility weapon. Essentially perfected from CEs. Using lead as the concept instead of H2s easy hitscan and incorporating a lower auto aim to make a bigger BR skillgap. Making a bigger player skillgap. Also making H3 with better movement then both H2 and H1. Making strafe a viable weapon both base skillgap and the BR skillgap open the door for a gamechanging, entertaining and maybe perfect game.

• Downvote (-1) 8

When MCC launched I felt that H3 doesn't hold up very well. I blew that off though with the game being in such a broken state. 6 years later and a pc launch has cemented one reality that disappoints 17 year old me hoping for a rush of grand nostalgia: H3's actual gameplay isn't fun, engaging, or the pinnacle of the Halo series.

Now, that's not saying H3 isn't a GOOD game. It had great maps, the best campaign in the series, and countless community features that made it the definitive shooter of many years and cements its place in history among the best, but the gameplay isn't really a part of it. It is just so dated and I think it gets overlooked due to nostalgia and the other things mentioned.

CE, 2, and 5 are, IMO, amazing Halo games. Now, I know 5 isn't a popular opinion here, but I still contend that it would have been talked about as an amazing FPS game in this era if it didn't have the Halo brand attached to it. I can play those games over and over without growing bored of the gameplay. I can't say that about 3.

I guess what all this amounts to is that I'm super glad all the Halo games can now live and exist in the "modern" context of games, but I'm looking forward to the future of the franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, AArkham said:

When MCC launched I felt that H3 doesn't hold up very well. I blew that off though with the game being in such a broken state. 6 years later and a pc launch has cemented one reality that disappoints 17 year old me hoping for a rush of grand nostalgia: H3's actual gameplay isn't fun, engaging, or the pinnacle of the Halo series.

Now, that's not saying H3 isn't a GOOD game. It had great maps, the best campaign in the series, and countless community features that made it the definitive shooter of many years and cements its place in history among the best, but the gameplay isn't really a part of it. It is just so dated and I think it gets overlooked due to nostalgia and the other things mentioned.

CE, 2, and 5 are, IMO, amazing Halo games. Now, I know 5 isn't a popular opinion here, but I still contend that it would have been talked about as an amazing FPS game in this era if it didn't have the Halo brand attached to it. I can play those games over and over without growing bored of the gameplay. I can't say that about 3.

I guess what all this amounts to is that I'm super glad all the Halo games can now live and exist in the "modern" context of games, but I'm looking forward to the future of the franchise.

Eww halo 5.