CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

7 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

H3 is like The Dark Knight in the Batman series. YOU CANT DENY Its the best in the series.

Why is the most random & slowest game the best in the series? Does popularity cancel out the RNG? 

• Like (+1) 2

Why do you think different from the majority of Millions? Your belief is limited to a few on this forum.

• Downvote (-1) 3

1 minute ago, Aphex Twin said:

Uh huh. So it's the best because it was the most popular. 

It's the best and that's why its popular.

• Downvote (-1) 3

1 minute ago, Toastomgi said:

It's the best and that's why its popular.

Spoken like a true waypoint kid. 

Came back like 1

Waypoint doesnt like H3...

Or at least they suck at it.

I wouldn't know.

• Downvote (-1) 1

8 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

Came back like 1

Waypoint doesnt like H3...

Waypoint kids love long kill times. They cant handle getting punished with 0.6 second kill times cause their reaction times & decision making sucks. 

They also dont like 60 second power item timers, grenade tricks, and single shot weapons because it raises the skill gap too much. 

H3 is like Brawl, H1 is like melee. 

• Like (+1) 1

Also, because I missed this.

14 hours ago, Toastomgi said:

I think content creators(ex. Red vs blue etc). Montage creators(ex. Phurion etc) and third party (ex. Th3f etc) would all agree H3 is the best game when it comes to entertainment and creativity.

Whoa. The game with the only functional theater in the series was the most popular with content creators.

• Upvote (+1) 5

"Halo 3 is the most popular game because it's the best." 

*Page full of replies about why it's not*

"Yeah well, Halo 3 is the best game because it's the most popular."

• Like (+1) 3

Usually I don't ask for advice however I played a bit of H3 doubles yesterday and the day before. Being a 50 myself I quickly ranked up and kept playing against other players  (50s clearly), and while I beat most, there are a few players that are incredibly hard to beat because of their snipers. If they pick up the sniper, even if you shoot them and hit them, they will still hit you with the sniper more often than not, and they will very often even headshot you. 

I can blame a lot of it on me not playing constantly, and these players do. I might play a few days per month or every other month, and then drop the game again. I can also probably blame some of it on host, meaning my shots won't connect and because of that they get some time to zoom in and hit me. I am EU, and these are american players. The host is always US.

If I stick to the game more than 3 days I am thinking about incorporating poke-shooting into my gameplay, meaning when playing against these players I need to be more vary of my movement and poke my nose in and out of behind walls a lot more.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

That's not the only criteria I ranked the games in but call me an idiot if that's all you got to say.
BXR is not saving a bland (from a competitive viewpoint) game, and the combos with melee are also situational, it doesn't really compare to a utility weapon with overall low TTK like the CE pistol. Generally it's pretty insane how some H2 fanboys claim the button combos are the most skillful shit - they might seem like it compared to how shallow the rest of the game is but that's about it.

As a bonus if you wanted to see some footage that displays nice mechanical execution in a shooter I would suggest this over H2 button combos:

The H2 Battle Rifle's TTK is far too high, but the button glitches are undoubtedly skillful. 

Between the CE pistol's perfect TTK and highest possible TTK, you have 0.6s of effective skillgap, with respect to the difficulty of 3ing someone. 

Between the H2BR's perfect TTK (through Quadshotting) and it's average TTK (roughly somewhere in between a 4 and 5 shot kill), you have about 0.6-0.7s of effective skillgap, with respect to the difficulty of of quadshotting someone. 

The argument you're making is that the practical skillgap doesn't include that of quadshots or doubleshots because they're too inconsistent to pull off. They aren't, but that's not a bad thing, and it certainly doesn't invalidate the skillgap. 

It's analogous to arguing that the CE pistol's effective skill gap is only about 0.3s because barely anyone ever gets a perfect 3 shot kill. 

H2's average skillgap for shooting is pretty small, but not the potential skillgap, which is still pretty big. 

Though you're right in observing that Halo 2's meta is still quite sluggish because of the average shooting skillgap being what it is. 

As far as the melee skillgap goes, it's a fair bit higher. I know that Halo 2's melee isn't too much better than H3's, but there's still some effort that goes into aiming a melee. It's hard to describe, but you have to somewhat lead your melee against an opponent who's moving perpendicular to the direction of your lunge. Same for a jumping opponent, you have to aim for where they will be rather than where they are. 

However, the key thing that makes H2 melee meta skillful is the fact that a beatdown from full health and shields still takes 3 hits. RRBX, BXR, and BXB effectively mean that the skillgap ranges from the duration of 3 full melees to half of a single melee. 

Without exaggerating, I'd say that H2's melee meta is comfortably as deep as CE's pistol battles. In close quarters, a player who knows what he's doing can comfortably kill 2 opponents, 3 if the opposing team gets caught off guard. 

That 1v1 was most definitely incredibly mechanically challenging, especially given the light speed that the game played at. That being said, why have to choose? We can keep two mechanics, as long as both aren't redundant. 

Not sure how we'd do strafe jumps and rocketjumps in Halo, though. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

That 1v1 was most definitely incredibly mechanically challenging, especially given the light speed that the game played at. That being said, why have to choose? We can keep two mechanics, as long as both aren't redundant. 

Not sure how we'd do strafe jumps and rocketjumps in Halo, though. 

Yeah not saying Halo needs to implement those mechanics, I just like to show people this because many claim how insanely mechanical the button combos are, they are neat but nothing that really elevates the game in ways people make it sound like.
I think what Halo could learn from actual arena shooters is that the items on the maps need to be impactful, otherwise why have them in the first place? That's basically step one and then you can make very interesting maps if the geometry goes hand in hand with that item control idea - think Damnation in CE for example.
That's one of the parts that has really been missing in the game, people love warm up / ffa like maps such as midship but that's tactically more bland than 9/10 CoD maps, you cannot even properly flank. I feel like people got used to this idea that maybe there is a rocket launcher every 3 minutes or so, 4 rockets, most of the time will be 2 or 3 kills at best, so most of the kills are made by the starting gun anyways, might as well just focus on combat and use teamshot to mow the enemy down, there is just not many interesting plays you can make, try anything on your own and you get melted, stay back and play safe with your team and it's a boring semi standoff where both teams just wait for somebody to make a mistake - the dynamic and flow of Halo games that play like that is just plain trash imo.

2 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

Waypoint kids love long kill times. They cant handle getting punished with 0.6 second kill times cause their reaction times & decision making sucks. 

They also dont like 60 second power item timers, grenade tricks, and single shot weapons because it raises the skill gap too much. 

H3 is like Brawl, H1 is like melee. 

I dont hate other Halos like you hate Halo 3.

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Also, because I missed this.

Whoa. The game with the only functional theater in the series was the most popular with content creators.

You had to obtain a capture card in H3s era and still had more content pushed out then all other Halos combined.

No one here flat out hates Halo 3, we just acknowledge it has many shortcomings and was riding a wave a popularity coming from Halo 2 and just about any game would have seen hundreds of thousands of players following the hype of H2

• Like (+1) 8
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

I hate the least skillful halo games because I have standards. Maybe try getting them sometime. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, OG Nick said:

No one here flat out hates Halo 3, we just acknowledge it has many shortcomings and was riding a wave a popularity coming from Halo 2 and just about any game would have seen hundreds of thousands of players following the hype of H2

Initially. For people to be playing the game for years after requires that people at least kind of like the game. 

54 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

You had to obtain a capture card in H3s era and still had more content pushed out then all other Halos combined.

He might be trolling but this right here is just a straight fact. Granted H2 also had a respectable scene but H3 is where montages really started to become impressive and it hasn't been the same since.

• Like (+1) 3

Damn, even Moist roasting 343 haha. 

"It's so nice to play a Halo that doesn't have sprint."

Good stuff.

• Like (+1) 6

Oh shit I didn't know moist likes halo. Fuckin pack it up boys halo 3 wins life

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Toastomgi said:

Okay, let's try another analogy since that one clearly failed to land.

"Whoa, H2 was played more than CE because it literally created the online multiplayer lobby system that we all use to this day. Go figure."

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Toastomgi said:

Can you actually list 3 things specific to Halo 3's design that made it a better designed shooter than the prior 2 Halo games. I mean actually explain why you think it was a better game than the 2 that came before it from a reasoned stance beyond its popularity. 

For the record I like H3 and think it's the strongest in the franchise for BTB. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Not even gonna lie, H2 BTB gets slept on a lot. 

District, Uplift, Headlong, Terminal, Waterworks, Containment, Relic, and Burial Mounds are all pretty fun for BTB. 

Coagulation is far superior to it's predecessor for BTB, though Zanzibar is kinda sucky because of how constrained it is for vehicular traversal. 

I think my fondest memory from all of MCC was playing an extremely close game of BTB on Terminal, dropping 32 kills and winning by the skin of my teeth. 

Halo 3 has good BTB too, but the BR's such a useless piece of shit and competent vehicle drivers dominate the maps that there's almost as much frustration as there is fun to be had. 

Though, H3 did map scaling 100x better than Halo 2. Coag was ridiculously big for no real good reason. 

• Like (+1) 4