CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

5 hours ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

iight I see 343 will be streaming a " first-look at MCC's upcoming features, including Halo 3 on PC, tomorrow at 1pm PT. "

All I want is a crosshair resize option to address the disparity between giant crosshair size and tiny player sizes at high fov.

Like how can anyone look at this and not see an issue, is anyone here capable of convincing someone from 343 to work on this? Please lol

So many other competitive pc fps games have a crosshair resize option because of this, It's almost an industry standard for pc competitive fps games at this point lol

ktMEdLs.jpg

Implying it matters how precisely you aim at that range with the H3 BR anyways :kappa:

• Toxic (+1) 1

I'm sure that people really fucking hate the rank-resetting for MCC, but I personally don't mind it at all. I basically only started to sweat in MCC long after the match composer was released, so all the ranked playlists were pretty dead at that time and I couldn't get any games. Even now, the most populated one (H3 Team Slayer) is pretty dead. 

I expect a noticeably large population boost to those playlists once the ranks reset, so maybe I'll finally be able to grind those playlists out. 

In general, MCC's population seems to be stabilizing at around 8K-10K players ATM. When H3PC drops, I expect it to hit well over 50K. We saw similar numbers for H2A (45K), but not a lot of those players stuck around. 

I ultimately feel like all the optimists are wildly overestimating the effect Halo 3 will have. Yes, the game was arguably the most popular and influential in the franchise. At the same time, I'm not sure if it's influence was larger than that of CE, 2, 2A, and Reach combined. 

Even if we hit over 100K again, how many of those players will stick around? 

It's so pathetic man. The games are such buggy shitfests when they launch that it basically eliminates any discussion of the nonexistent progression system or playlist lineup.

The matchmaking progression system really needs a total revamp if 343i wants people to grind their game out and not play every single match like it's some stupid custom minigame. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

No I was in on the discussion leading up to it. Uniform aiming was not the goal. I’m not convinced they even realize how they ended up changing it. Their only goal was to eliminate trigger-hold spread when you’re not holding the trigger.

Instead, not only did they NOT accomplish that, but they also changed the way the aiming works entirely. And enough kids were hitting center-reticle shots after the patch that they used to miss bc they were shooting wrong, that they thought 343 actually fixed the problem. It’s even worse now because you don’t have the magnetism to offset the spread, so all you can do now is shoot slow as fuck to try to hedge your bets on spread. It’s bananas inconsistent.

You’re right. Ranked playlist uses zero spread, and it doesn’t feel like this. Ask @OG Nick. The CE guys tried to get them to do this as a stopgap measure until they could *actually* fix the pistol, but they said no and cited their intention to stay true to legacy as their reasoning. Lmfao, if that isn’t the cruelest twist of irony I’ve ever heard. Now it feels like this.

I addressed that in this video I made a few months ago (also, compare how consistent the pistol was for me back then with proper aim technique compared to now): 

Great rant vid. I think that I can agree with just about all the points.

The reticule change seems like a really roundabout way to address an issue that PREVENTS the legacy feel of gameplay in the first place. IMO I like center reticule aiming in itself. But I think that I have started to notice your precise issue myself. Trying to hit moving targets that are actively strafing back and forth has been particularly difficult coming back to it. And while I may just be bad or rusty, I haven't much noticed my skill improving that inconsistency, like a warm up normally seems like it would. So yeah, I can see how the adjusted magnetism means that you can't quite force the shots to stick to where you want them, and then the fact that the shots don't shoot straight means that you can't even just try to consistently lead shots. Having to pace shots in CE while other people get the lucky faster hits is aggrevating for sure.

The whole thing about 'preserving the legacy feel' is such a crap excuse from them, and even the community at times. The premise of it even hinders actual improvements. Things like Bumper Jumper and Elite controllers for smoother input methods now exist for the first two games, making some people more agile and reactive just from that. FoV sliders in the future would change the gameplay for games too, when suddenly people are able to be a LOT more naturally aware than before, making some methods of juking possibly less effective. Removing spread to improve online shot consistency in a game where in OG, spread was previously never anywhere as big of a factor should just come automatically fixed.

And they shouldn't be scared of 'bringing hardcore stuff to social'. They already added the clock to the screen, and removed radar completely from CE in all formats but FFA, as far as I can tell. It is ALREADY 'hardcore' in a sense because of all that. Removing spread entirely from the Pistol should be a no-brainer. It is amazing how this kind of legacy-only mentality just removes all semblance of possible QoL improvements to the games. From (especially Forge) map and gametype selections, in-game-UI options, and what should be reasonable online consistency improvements, all the games could be SO much better and more fun to enjoy without really changing the unique core experience of each game.

It just makes me wonder how much more things would be 'allowed' to be fixed if these old games were instead brand new 2020 releases still getting gameplay-affecting changes and support.

• Upvote (+1) 1

12 hours ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

iight I see 343 will be streaming a " first-look at MCC's upcoming features, including Halo 3 on PC, tomorrow at 1pm PT. "

All I want is a crosshair resize option to address the disparity between giant crosshair size and tiny player sizes at high fov.

Like how can anyone look at this and not see an issue, is anyone here capable of convincing someone from 343 to work on this? Please lol

So many other competitive pc fps games have a crosshair resize option because of this, It's almost an industry standard for pc competitive fps games at this point lol

ktMEdLs.jpg

I wouldn't recommend playing above 110 FoV on Halo, 100 is about the sweet spot imo but I do agree about the crosshair size, I didn't even bother with Halo 2 multiplayer on PC because of how huge the crosshair was, it made any kind of precision on a mouse impossible. Hopefully the crosshair is much smaller in general in Infinite, I don't get why so many of the guns, mainly the automatics, are limited to a range of about 3 feet with giant ass reticles and a shit ton of RNG spread, I think there is room for precision automatics with small crosshairs in Halo but i'd probably only put it on a weapon like the Plasma Rifle which requires you to lead your shots.

56 minutes ago, Mow said:

Hopefully the crosshair is much smaller in general in Infinite, I don't get why so many of the guns, mainly the automatics, are limited to a range of about 3 feet with giant ass reticles and a shit ton of RNG spread, I think there is room for precision automatics with small crosshairs in Halo but i'd probably only put it on a weapon like the Plasma Rifle which requires you to lead your shots.

The Plasma Repeater and Sentinel Beam are both perfectly accurate.  The former is projectile while the latter is hitscan.  The Assault Carbine’s reticle begins to significantly bloom after four consecutive shots.  The Spiker has minor vertical/side-to-side recoil and projectile drop over distance.  

In each case, the first shot is always perfectly accurate (in the Spiker’s case, only until the projectile starts dropping).  The Assault Carbine could descope a distant sniper with its first shot if the user can freehand aim at that distance (outside rrr).  

23 hours ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

I think 343 is lost tbh. They put up this mirror like they are here for us, holding these events. Like we like them. We dont.

If they did something right for Halo. Fixed the issues. Maybe we would. Then these community/developer events could suffice as productive communication with the community.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

25 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

I think 343 is lost tbh. They put up this mirror like they are here for us, holding these events. Like we like them. We dont.

Who are you to speak for the vocal minority? What about the silent majority who are enjoying the hell out of Halo 5 and think Halo 4 was the best campaign? Let people enjoy things. I'm extremely excited for the updates. I've been grinding MCC nonstop and loving it

@Mow   I swear some people I match have their FoV down to 70 so they can see me from a looooong way away on bigger maps. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

I'd rather the people who developed Halo 5 over the people who developed Reach or Destiny - just my opinion. 

• WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I feel like the "silent majority" is currently playing other games.

There isn't a population counter but you can see who is on the game through Steam and the numbers really aren't that bad. Plus I can still get games instantly no matter what time of day it is

41 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

There isn't a population counter but you can see who is on the game through Steam and the numbers really aren't that bad. Plus I can still get games instantly no matter what time of day it is

More people are playing The Forest right now than MCC.

18 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

More people are playing The Forest right now than MCC.

There was a big sale.

3 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

I think people just expect Halo to be some kind of premier gaming experience and that's why they say the numbers are bad. Like MCC on PC isn't dead but its also competitive concurrent player wise with the original counter strike or farming simulator (their peak today actually more than doubles mcc though) so I probably wouldn't say they're too successful either. Its pretty fair to say the silent majority of these people don't want anything to do with MCC right now. Its not even remotely close to the games that are actually popular nor would I expect it to be

For perspective using today's peak player count and rounding a little there are roughly 89 CS:GO players for every 1 MCC player. You could probably add every Halo title on every platform together and it wouldn't be close. So if someone was holding Halo to that kind of standard for some reason then yeah they're not even on the same planet and probably never will be if we're being honest. Imagine trying to compare Halo to a game like CS:GO when CS wasn't old and falling off. Imagine Fortnite numbers etc if they were on the steam list.

We're just out here playing Halo because we enjoy it and player counts don't really prevent that at the end of the day as long as we can find games so its kind of a pointless comparison. A lot of the time people bring stuff like this up we're probably just being negative for no real reason or using it to criticize trend chasing in newer titles because we both lose the game we enjoyed and remain an unpopular franchise  

• Like (+1) 3

One trend I've been seeing a lot these past 10 years is games moving away from custom server browsers and more towards a rigid matchmaking system. The Counter-Strike franchise is a prime example, and in my opinion worse off for it. The quality and variety of custom servers has drastically decreased despite the massive population increase, and many people's experience is the MM system which to be honest isn't a great one, and especially awful for first-time players.

I hope 343 bucks the trend and gives us a fleshed out server browser and embraces custom game modes with weekly events for some of them. I think some of the most effective marketing for games these days is videos posted on social media and word of mouth, and 343 really needs to hand the creative reins over to the community for that to happen. I want the game to have classic mechanics, but Halo is a social/party game first and foremost. I hope they embrace the social aspect and give the competitive community the tools and ability to develop organically. I think Halo 5 was an excellent lesson in that you can't force a healthy and successful community by injecting money into it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

Custom browser shouldn’t be the norm. There’s a reason people moved to mm. If you’ve played any halo that has a custom browser it’s down right impossible to get a regular TS. It’s always fiesta, snipers or some other bullshit, and as I’ve seen with h5 custom browser most of the shit sucks. Mm is for those who’d like to play vs people on settings that don’t sound ridiculous. This is the same case for any other game I’ve played with browsers

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Custom browser shouldn’t be the norm. There’s a reason people moved to mm. If you’ve played any halo that has a custom browser it’s down right impossible to get a regular TS. It’s always fiesta, snipers or some other bullshit, and as I’ve seen with h5 custom browser most of the shit sucks. Mm is for those who’d like to play vs people on settings that don’t sound ridiculous. This is the same case for any other game I’ve played with browsers

Need both. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

Need both. 

I should of added we need both but the norm is mm and should be the norm. In custom browsers the average person fucks around, creates fuck around game modes. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

“Fuck around game modes” are one of the reasons Halo 2 was so popular.  They are vital to Halo’s longevity.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sody91 said:

Need both. 

We absolutely do! Custom gamemodes are where the majority of players play in Counterstrike and Starcraft. It's also been extremely popular in Halo 5 Forge on PC, Halo 1 PC, Eldewrito (Halo 3 PC) and Project Cartographer (Halo 2 PC). Infection and Action Sack have always been the fastest and most consistent matchmaking search times in all of the Halo tiles. If MCC was given a custom browser that'd be where the largest portion of the population would be. 

13 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I think people just expect Halo to be some kind of premier gaming experience and that's why they say the numbers are bad. 

Isn't that what MCC is suppose to be?!

They literally had to port the game over as is like MCC is advertised and and people would still be playing the game. There shouldn't be an asterisk with a game like MCC.

11 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

Isn't that what MCC is suppose to be?

It seemed 343 had the long term plan of knowing how much time they wanted to put into Halo 6. They knew their fanbase would become impatient which meant they needed something to keep us occupied. So they gave us MCC in pre alpha to chew on for 5 years. The premier Xbox gaming experience is Halo 5. Warzone still plays like a dream and if Halo 5 PC had matchmaking it'd be insanely populated!

31 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

Isn't that what MCC is suppose to be?

Honestly no. They don't fund it or give it enough development time and resources to ever be that. Halo 5 and Infinite are at least 343/MS taking a stab at producing a game like that but they've ultimately failed to capture the attention of the gaming world on that level with any of their released products so far. As it is they've been the typical AAA distraction that comes and goes within a couple of months. Its not like they're the only ones though. Almost every game released ever has done either about the same or worse actually it takes very special scenarios to become a game like CS:GO, Fortnite, WoW or Minecraft etc for their generation. Halo was once something like that and kind of carried the Xbox brand into the mainstream of gaming but its been a long time since those days. The expectation is still there for some reason with many people though and its probably not very healthy 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

It seemed 343 had the long term plan of knowing how much time they wanted to put into Halo 6. They knew their fanbase would become impatient which meant they needed something to keep us occupied. So they gave us MCC in pre alpha to chew on for 5 years. The premier Xbox gaming experience is Halo 5. Warzone still plays like a dream and if Halo 5 PC had matchmaking it'd be insanely populated!

When Halo 5 has an ability to have 250+ teams show up at tournaments for 5 consecutive years then I'll vouch for it. Halo Reach was Bungies way of saying there done by creating a ODST like game as the next staple game in the franchise and Halo 5 has only had the ability to cater to 5 year olds who have FOMO from being too young to experience Halo 3.

• WutFace (+0) 1

1 hour ago, Toastomgi said:

1. When Halo 5 has an ability to have 250+ teams show up at tournaments for 5 consecutive years then I'll vouch for it.

2. Halo Reach was Bungies way of saying there done by creating a ODST like game as the next staple game in the franchise and Halo 5 has only had the ability to cater to 5 year olds who have FOMO from being too young to experience Halo 3.

1. When Halo 3 was at its peak in 2009/2010 it had 9 years of building it up into a massively cultivated community through Halo 1 and Halo 2's success. 3 titles all gaining tons of momentum. Even Reach had a few events with around 250 and the Halo 4 opener did as well thanks to previous success

2. A lot of people love it who arent 5 years old.

• WutFace (+0) 1