CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I watched an old video of mine recently with some MCC CE footage in it, and I forgot just how much more intuitive and predictable the pistol used to be before they fucked with it a few months ago :(

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I watched an old video of mine recently with some MCC CE footage in it, and I forgot just how much more intuitive and predictable the pistol used to be before they fucked with it a few months ago :(

I never felt that way with the PC pistol or MCC pistol. I feel so handicapped

9 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Do we know what they changed exactly? Haven't played mcc in a few years. 

20 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Maybe you're not super familiar with the MMO genre that they take quite literally every idea from but this is standard practice and its how they make money over time and keep people coming back by forcing you to repeat the gameplay loop. Its the classic gear treadmill and its used because it unfortunately works exceptionally well in terms of profit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

Basically though being done is something they do not want you to feel. They want you to be addicted to chasing the next upgrade by completing the same actions long enough for them to create the scenario over again in a new patch perpetually 

Yeah, MMO design philosophy is extremely garbage with such treadmill mechanics. It is why I just couldn't bring myself to even try WoW back in like 2008 when people attempted to pressure me into playing it.

Destiny has traditionally been much more of a looter shooter to the community, from what I know (don't usually play that genre either). There was always still a grind (albeit with unforgiving RNG much of the time for the exact loot you want to drop), but at least from the old quarterly DLC expansion model from the past, you could grind a bit the first few weeks and then actually be temporarily 'done' within reason until the next DLC.

Now, there is new stuff slowly drip-fed literally weekly. You miss a week or two, hell sometimes now even just a few days, and you immediately start to fall behind. There is no such thing as 'catching up' now. Complete with added Fear-Of-Missing-Out baked in due to story/PvE content being rotated in and out. And I'm not talking about holiday events either.

Added with Bungie's history of perpetually disempowering the player via constant nerfs (a trait they carried from their handling of Halo), the sunsetting mechanic is a way of keeping some of the more unique gear pieces from being relevant for too long, via essentially baked in nerfing. It is kinda clever in a way, because now they don't have to even bother to attempt to 'balance' some things out of the box anymore. What is worse, is that they essentially patched a form of sunsetting out of the game multiple times in D1 due to negative feedback, only to now go back on it after promising not to do that again.

I already work for a living, I don't need to come home to another job via D2.

Thankfully more people have woken up to it, but anyone who ever says that Bungie would do a better job than 343I with Halo is extremely ignorant, IMO.

Speaking of getting back on topic...

12 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally have had a much easier time landing 3sks on players since the change. IMO it is much more intuitive to naturally try to center my shots on people instead of aiming with the edge of the reticule, and helps make transitioning between different Halo games much easier for me on MCC.

This is coming from someone who doesn't have as much established aiming practice in CE PvP to begin with, and I imagine that I can’t be the only 'noob' that might think that. I am well aware that your muscle memory has been hardened via lots of playtime since the OG HCE, so I can still sympathize with the struggle. I'm sure that at the next LAN I attend, the classic edge-of-reticule aiming would certainly mess ME up again.

I still get outshot and miss plenty, but what mostly messes me up is the whole Xbox One controller issue where it thinks you are holding the trigger to spread wildly a bunch, despite tapping the trigger like usual. Also, I really wish that they would significantly shorten the shield flicker time so that I could better tell wether or not I'm hitting shots after the first hit. Along with the fact that projectile bullets in Halo have not been traditionally easy to see where they go IMO as opposed to Plasma. The bullets travel just fast enough that I didn't have any idea about leading shots for HCE or H3 until 2013 when first browsing this site forum.

Perhaps if you manage to figure out the new MCC reticule placement, you could make another video on it? I would be willing to help if need be :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SMARTAN 427 said:

snip

So basically the best way to describe what bungie has done with Destiny (and this will be pretty relevant for anyone looking at Destiny or almost any MMO) is that they're just checking out and absorbing random weekly or daily lockout patterns as well as loot acquisition and gear upgrades over time via currency from games like WoW or EQ or many other MMOs. WoW is just a great example because its so long lived and successful that it has pretty much incorporated and used all of these ideas at one point or another. Even Destiny raid difficulties and encounter mechanics echo WoW and honestly its probably very hard not to since I imagine anyone taking inspiration from that genre would be an idiot to not check out WoW more than anything else.

This is all fine as long as you're drawn in and one of the players who essentially gets addicted and will kind of unthinkingly play whatever they throw your way (while enjoying yourself obviously) but if you're paying more attention and look past the gameplay and see how they're essentially farming your time by extending content via time gates or needless grinding of the same content over and over you'll get a bit jaded and probably offended too. They're not just farming your subscription costs or DLC/MTX purchases but your time as well because time played metrics are valuable stats to show to people like your investors when trying to measure success or how much funding you deserve or what stock may be worth. Its actually pretty fucked up at the end of the day and that genre isn't very kind to the people who get into it. There are a lot of almost predatory practices going on trying to squeeze out a few more hours of gameplay or an extra few months of puchased sub costs or whatever throughout that genre. Its pretty important for anyone who is either currently playing or thinking about playing any MMO out there to understand all of this because without understanding this people sometimes trap themselves playing a game long after they don't enjoy it anymore and giving up many hours and money to something that isn't even fulfilling for them because they feel like they already invested too much to stop. It happens here with Halo too but the MMO genre is really looking to create those people.

tldr is that those kinds of games can be fun but self control and moderation are very important. They can be just as scary as gambling or other addictive activities and the developers will not try and stop you or help

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

So basically the best way to describe what bungie has done with Destiny (and this will be pretty relevant for anyone looking at Destiny or almost any MMO) is that they're just checking out and absorbing random weekly or daily lockout patterns as well as loot acquisition and gear upgrades over time via currency from games like WoW or EQ or many other MMOs. WoW is just a great example because its so long lived and successful that it has pretty much incorporated and used all of these ideas at one point or another. Even Destiny raid difficulties and encounter mechanics echo WoW and honestly its probably very hard not to since I imagine anyone taking inspiration from that genre would be an idiot to not check out WoW more than anything else.

This is all fine as long as you're drawn in and one of the players who essentially gets addicted and will kind of unthinkingly play whatever they throw your way (while enjoying yourself obviously) but if you're paying more attention and look past the gameplay and see how they're essentially farming your time by extending content via time gates or needless grinding of the same content over and over you'll get a bit jaded and probably offended too. They're not just farming your subscription costs or DLC/MTX purchases but your time as well because time played metrics are valuable stats to show to people like your investors when trying to measure success or how much funding you deserve or what stock may be worth. Its actually pretty fucked up at the end of the day and that genre isn't very kind to the people who get into it. There are a lot of almost predatory practices going on trying to squeeze out a few more hours of gameplay or an extra few months of puchased sub costs or whatever throughout that genre. Its pretty important for anyone who is either currently playing or thinking about playing any MMO out there to understand all of this because without understanding this people sometimes trap themselves playing a game long after they don't enjoy it anymore and giving up many hours and money to something that isn't even fulfilling for them because they feel like they already invested too much to stop. It happens here with Halo too but the MMO genre is really looking to create those people

Excellent description. Predatory, and them farming your time along with the money, is certainly the best way to put it. Addicting for very often the wrong reasons. Particularly unhealthy and binding in a way I've never seen before in any genre I've tried. MMOs are the worst.

The thing that sucks, is that Destiny wasn't so awful like this in the beginning. But unfortunately, the 'consumer friendly' approach they tried in D2's launch flopped, although truly in part due to other bad decisions. So, they have unfortunately learned that they can get away with what they have been doing. Doesn't help that D3 is no longer a thing and D2 is now on life support as a games-as-a-service cash machine to farm while they work on a new IP.

So at this point there is no hope for a franchise that had so much potential. I skipped out on D2 year 1. Glad I did, because the fixes made in year 2 as a result were awesome to come back to. But with the road they have gone down since... I'll have no problem skipping out on the rest of D2 otherwise.

And, back on topic again, it is still amazing how easy it is find MCC matches in social, as opposed to the apparently dead ranked playlists. For literally any of the games. It is kinda funny how that all works.

At least for me, anyway.

Edit: Although to be honest, aside from some superior settings, don't really see the appeal of ranked at this point. Yay... could get a high rank in a game franchise that people don't quite care about anymore.

Been having a blast in the variety of social lately.

Edit again: not to mention finally being able to play the old DLC maps on the regular, let alone at all.

8 hours ago, Sody91 said:

Do we know what they changed exactly? Haven't played mcc in a few years. 

Up until May, you could aim with the edge of your reticle and get reliable magnetism most of the time. Now, you don’t get that magnetism, and you need to aim with the middle of your reticle. Sounds great, right? Well, now shots just go wherever the fuck they want. There’s no consistency. Gauging a proper lead is impossible.

TLDR my average shots to kill is like 3 shots higher.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hard Way said:

Up until May, you could aim with the edge of your reticle and get reliable magnetism most of the time. Now, you don’t get that magnetism, and you need to aim with the middle of your reticle. Sounds great, right? Well, now shots just go wherever the fuck they want. There’s no consistency. Gauging a proper lead is impossible.

TLDR my average shots to kill is like 3 shots higher.

In my opinion that’s how it should be. It’s stupid AF that a person aiming with the “edge” of a reticule gets the best shot accuracy. You’re just mad because your muscle memory is all fucked which is justified as id be pissed too but I’m just pointing that out, to be an ass.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Just now, Reamis25 said:

In my opinion that’s how it should be. It’s stupid AF that a person aiming with the “edge” of a reticule gets the best shot accuracy. You’re just mad because your muscle memory is all fucked which is justified as id be pissed too but I’m just pointing that out, to be an ass.

If it actually worked, it’d be fine. It doesn’t.

• Upvote (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

If it actually worked, it’d be fine. It doesn’t.

I still blame the Xbox One controller tap-fire spread issue more than anything. I swear that I have always had to pace the shots so much slower as if it is the damn Reach DMR.

5 hours ago, SMARTAN 427 said:

I still blame the Xbox One controller tap-fire spread issue more than anything. I swear that I have always had to pace the shots so much slower as if it is the damn Reach DMR.

Which is doubly frustrating because the whole reason they changed it to begin with was to eliminate that.

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

Which is doubly frustrating because the whole reason they changed it to begin with was to eliminate that.

Really? I get the impression that it would be have a more consistently uniform aiming feel across all games. I have a hard time believing that it is supposed to fix an issue between new hardware and old code. If they just completely removed the spread entirely I feel like that would pretty much fix it. I haven't been able to try the ranked playlist to see if it is any better with zero spread. Thanks complete lack of population.

Lets go! Will anybody be making new maps for MLG? I dabbled on forge on insider and the new merging tools and coordinate systems + bigger budget looks like it could make some massive improvements to Amplified and Onslaught. MLG vX? 

8 minutes ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

Lets go! Will anybody be making new maps for MLG? I dabbled on forge on insider and the new merging tools and coordinate systems + bigger budget looks like it could make some massive improvements to Amplified and Onslaught. MLG vX? 

Now if people can just mod out the spread and increase the velocity so that we can lead shots with accuracy and peace.

• Like (+1) 6

Yeah I don't feel like Halo 3 has ever really needed those two maps to begin with, especially after Heretic, but now there is actually no excuse at all

• Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Now we'll see if Halo 3 has the pull that people think it does.

I'm just concerned if any of the registration bugs will be fixed. Once again, the game's success is pretty much entirely dependent on 343s will to fuck it up.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Toastomgi said:

343 porting the game over will ruin  ... everything. It won't be worth it.

47j8ca.jpg

It's spelled "registration"

• Like (+1) 4

In all seriousness people could sue 343 for their money back with the false advertising they facade through MCC. If they wanted.

16 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

In all seriousness people could sue 343 for their money back with the false advertising they facade through MCC. If they wanted.

Probably not. Nothing came out of the abysmal 2014 launch and 343 was confident enough to do it again for MCC PC because no one sued them.

• Toxic (+1) 1

Just now, Basu said:

Probably not. Nothing came out of the abysmal 2014 launch and 343 was confident enough to do it again for MCC PC because no one sued them.

Am I missing something here? The PC releases were not bad. They’re not the most optimized PC games (unlike H3, honestly) but nothing compared to the first launch. 

• Like (+1) 1