CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

On 6/15/2020 at 5:10 PM, Aphex Twin said:

Two base/two tower maps are the only types of maps that work with the h3 BR's kill time and range. 

Always hated that H3's BR limited MLG to symmetric maps only. Couldnt even get chill out (cold storage) to work! 

Sure, but two base/two tower aren't the only types of sym arenas. Citadel is there and it would at least give some variety.

I'd say Cold Storage has a few other problems besides the H3 BR. The geometry is a massive downgrade in pretty much every room (what the hell is that mess going on in shotgun room?), H3's teleport mechanics are shit (no telefragging and you're locked into facing a single direction at the port destination regardless of how you enter it), and a general shift in mentality away from quick powerup timers yields campier play. It's also just a better doubles map than 4v4 imo.

Potentially weird opinion, but I think the best H1 full asym (so not counting BC) for the 4v4 H2/H3/ReachV7 style play would be Rat Race, although it also would need working ports and good powerup timers. Too bad it never appeared again while other shit that obviously doesn't work sans pistol (looking at you, Hang 'Em) managed to get multiple remakes. Forever underrated :tear:

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Released said:

... a general shift in mentality away from quick powerup timers yields campier play. 

This is dead on.

60 - 90 second timers delivers an experience where your team must constantly fight over power items. Stalemates are fairly uncommon with settings like these. 

2-3 minute timers encourages stalemates and slows the pace of the game down overall. I'd argue this is the main reason why slayer was by far H3's worst gametype.

• Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

This is dead on.

60 - 90 second timers delivers an experience where your team must constantly fight over power items. Stalemates are fairly uncommon with settings like these. 

2-3 minute timers encourages stalemates and slows the pace of the game down overall. I'd argue this is the main reason why slayer was by far H3's worst gametype.

Eh power ups in h3 were weak AF anywho. The overshield was very weak, and that’s why we had to custom it in mlg. And camo is easy AF to see

22 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Eh power ups in h3 were weak AF anywho. The overshield was very weak, and that’s why we had to custom it in mlg. And camo is easy AF to see

Quick power-up/weapon times buff weak power-ups/weapons though. If your team wins every shitty overshield, but there are 15 overshield opportunities in each game, your advantage is huge compared to a game with only seven overshield opportunities. If anything, it's more important to have quicker spawns if the pickup items are weaker, else no one will plan around them. You can arguably get away with longer spawn times if the item gives you a massive advantage, since teams will plan around it no matter what.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Yes, there is a long list of issues with halo 3. 

Faster timers (not just for powerups but also power weapons. I use 'power items' as an umbrella term) would improve halo 3's pace regardless.

• Like (+1) 2

Station 9 was like a spiritual successor to Rat Race.

I'm def on team "faster timers", especially for TS, but if the utility is as weak as H3's, then the weapons would need less ammo if they're coming up more often.

19 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Station 9 was like a spiritual successor to Rat Race.

Really? How do you mean?

2 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Really? How do you mean?

The overall layout wasn't that similar, but the typical engagement and teamfight was. A lot of corridor fighting. The top mid room with the rockets and the first extraction zone reminds me of dance floor. I can't remember if Station 9 had a teleporter on the perimeter of the map, or if that was a man cannon. I think it had something like that. It's been forever since I've played it, and I didn't get to play it that much. I always kinda liked it though. It's something different, and I feel like that's what any game's map pool should strive for, without getting too gimmicky or cheesy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

The overall layout wasn't that similar, but the typical engagement and teamfight was. A lot of corridor fighting. The top mid room with the rockets and the first extraction zone reminds me of dance floor. I can't remember if Station 9 had a teleporter on the perimeter of the map, or if that was a man cannon. I think it had something like that. It's been forever since I've played it, and I didn't get to play it that much. I always kinda liked it though. It's something different, and I feel like that's what any game's map pool should strive for, without getting too gimmicky or cheesy.

It was a Jet Pack spot.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

ur thinking of h2 with camo. h3 camo is really good. 

as far as what ce map could work in h3... You could probably do something with hang em with no snipe. a 60s camo on there with rockets might make a fun neutral bomb with rotating sides. idk rat race is kinda zzz. 

I swear I keep getting teammates in h3 pc who’ve never played halo in years yet I face against the most try hard kids 

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I swear I keep getting teammates in h3 pc who’ve never played halo in years yet I face against the most try hard kids 

The flight is pretty much only those people. I'm waiting to play again until the full release.

• Like (+1) 1

My games have mostly been going okay. I've had a few weird ones where I'd play against heinz and the other 6 people in the game maybe hadn't ever played Halo in their lives but its pretty regularly been pro/former pro/streamers or at least competent players every game

Really though from the games I've played the game is pretty much ready to go if the live MCC version is good enough for them. I'd like the hit detection to get a look and the flags do need a texture/model that isn't invisible some games

Pls make it stop 343

• Like (+1) 2

Am I the only one who has issues just aiming in Halo 3? Idk what it is, I've tried the same settings I used in the other games, I tried something that was supposed to "replicate how H3 felt on 360" and that doesn't work.

I mean I'm not the greatest player out there, but my aim used to be good and is really good in CE. For some reason it just doesn't seem to translate.

If you liked OG H3's aiming but hate this iteration's aiming, not sure what to tell you. I know they preserved the gross feel of it that I hate.

• Like (+1) 2

I spent the most time in 3 so I feel like my body mutated to accommodate it's aiming mechanics. Not the superpower I expected to have but here we are.

I don't know how the entire YT Halo community can play social 4s on MCC for any period of time and then turn 180 degrees and say with a straight face that "MCC is fixed." 

The matching system is such absolute shit, it punishes players for being good. Being good doesn't raise the caliber of your teammates and your opponents, it just turns your teammates into campaign NPC AI and your enemies into sweatlords who run scrims with former pros on weekends. 

I understand that no one wants to give the game constant negative coverage, but for fuck's sakes man the game isn't getting fixed until you push the devs to fix it. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

My games have mostly been going okay. I've had a few weird ones where I'd play against heinz and the other 6 people in the game maybe hadn't ever played Halo in their lives but its pretty regularly been pro/former pro/streamers or at least competent players every game

Really though from the games I've played the game is pretty much ready to go if the live MCC version is good enough for them. I'd like the hit detection to get a look and the flags do need a texture/model that isn't invisible some game

Pls make it stop 343

Yeah I ran into Evader searching with at least 1 other person 3 different times on 2 of his alts while solo searching. They weren't fun games. I think I matched a game with you as well.

My really only huge issue is the hit registration when jumping, but yeah if you think MCC is tolerable the H3 portion is pretty much good to go.

6 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

If you liked OG H3's aiming but hate this iteration's aiming, not sure what to tell you. I know they preserved the gross feel of it that I hate.

I might have liked it back then, I can't really remember tbh. I guess that's all it is, it just feels so shitty. It just makes no sense I can aim with the gun with very little auto aim, but suck with the one with a bunch.

29 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

https://imgur.com/a/Npk7ils

So thats what the User skins setting is for.

Okay, if they can add this level of customization to Halo CE of all games, there is no reason why they shouldn’t fix registration + spread in Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I match against Mint Blitz, Pingy and Brutal CE all the time. They all play 7-8 hours a day compared to my 2-8 hours a week.

It is not an enjoyable experience. Fortunately Mint/Brutal are friendly dudes so I don't get mad, but that doesn't mean it's fun.

Especially with my friends who are low-average skill getting absolutely mopped by them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They can figure out how to add cosmetics to a 19 year old game but can't fix Halo 3's hit reg.

Priorities amirite.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nokt said:

Yeah I ran into Evader searching with at least 1 other person 3 different times on 2 of his alts while solo searching. They weren't fun games. I think I matched a game with you as well.

My really only huge issue is the hit registration when jumping, but yeah if you think MCC is tolerable the H3 portion is pretty much good to go.

Yeah the hit reg is pretty predictably MCC halo 3 which I think we all want to be better. I think the skill matching thing in flights is always going to be pretty poor though depending on how many invites they send out and what they prioritize. Since starting with the insider programs first few flights there is definitely a weighting towards people with a lot of experience so for the kinda new guys that do get in I've seen games get very out of hand. It gets especially bad when you can tell its a newer PC player because they're both trying to learn the game and trying to play with a mouse against those of us who have been playing Halo for about 19 years at this point and its probably very discouraging for them to just go 2 and 25 every game.

For example I've queued up straight into some of those reclaimer guys on the insider flights searching as a to4 and watched the rest of my team triple goose more than once back towards the beginning and I kinda just felt bad for them. Maybe they should significantly increase the size of flights and assign people to pools or something