CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

4 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

LW, TS and snipers. I didn’t play much of mlg bsck then. I didn’t start to play that actually until reach v7 

are you sure you didnt buy those

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

This is a good take I think. BUT, I think we can just expect to see another 10 years of the game divisions and placement matches we're used to because innovation on that front is just not going to be pursued in the games we play. 

Sounds like we need a very special game to come out and change all that... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Does anyone know the significance of the max SR levels in H4 and H5? The numbers they chose feel so random.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Ranking systems are just as much about the journey to increasing your rank as it is giving an accurate gauge of your skill. In this sense I don't think the modern division system used by just about every game doesn't work as well in many ways. You play 10 games, get your rank and then what. MOST people stop playing (this is probably a by product of the constant rank resets most games use). 1-50 you just keep playing because you're trying to hit your threshold. 

I also have never seen a placement system that I've felt accurately placed players. 

What game do people stop playing in? Ranked is the most popular thing in OW and league and cs. It’s the unpopular games I see that have this no rank play. 

13 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

are you sure you didnt buy those

Considering I was young To a point if I had $$ I spent that shit on junk food

12 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Does anyone know the significance of the max SR levels in H4 and H5? The numbers they chose feel so random.

Halo 4's is the 50 default levels to unlock specializations, the rest are 10 Level per specialization.

Halo 5's is purely I guess overcompensating for how easy it was to max in Halo 4. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

What game do people stop playing in? Ranked is the most popular thing in OW and league and cs. It’s the unpopular games I see that have this no rank play. 

What are you basing your metrics off of for that. Because even the two games you just mentioned that's not true for. 

Anyone here familiar with FaceIt know if the "Match Room" is different than the Matches page on the site? Because the rulebook says team on the left in the match room gets host on odd number games and should be red every game but Pryde is playing their first match with odd number host and red despite being on the right side on the Matches page.

Not sure if there was a gentlemen's agreement to give odd host to the higher seed or if there is a separate match room with teams on different sides than we see.

EDIT: Asked Queen in stream and she said that admins changed their mind on how to do host/color. So we have a rulebook, but the admins decided that they'd change the rules last minute and not update the rulebook. WHAT IS THIS SHIT?!?!?!?!

16 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Anyone here familiar with FaceIt know if the "Match Room" is different than the Matches page on the site? Because the rulebook says team on the left in the match room gets host on odd number games and should be red every game but Pryde is playing their first match with odd number host and red despite being on the right side on the Matches page.

Not sure if there was a gentlemen's agreement to give odd host to the higher seed or if there is a separate match room with teams on different sides than we see.

EDIT: Asked Queen in stream and she said that admins changed their mind on how to do host/color. So we have a rulebook, but the admins decided that they'd change the rules last minute and not update the rulebook. WHAT IS THIS SHIT?!?!?!?!

Jimbo gave me a full explanation from his stream. The FaceIt site is supposed to put higher seeded team on the left but it's buggy and not always doing that so the admins let the players know that higher seeded team gets host for games 1,3,5 and lower seeded team gets to choose color. Technically an unpublished rule change that differs from the original since higher seeded team is not always red, but probably a rule change we can all agree is for the better.

Teams also seem upset at the random pool assignments (teams seeded 1-4 got placed in their own pool and then 5-8 got randomly assigned, then 9-12, then 13-16). I don't think the method for pool placements was ever published in the rules and teams didn't know this was how it was going to be until last night/this morning. Stream requirements for bracket play was also last minute, hope that every team has two players who are capable of streaming without FPS or ping issues.

I really hope that everything gets sorted out by week three and a good set of rules gets published well in advance of the tournament. As someone who doesn't compete but still cares a lot about tournament structure and communication this past week has been typical HCS shenanigans and it's driving me crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

"GLOBAL FEATURES AND DEVELOPMENT STATUS

There are additional features we know that the community has discussed and wants to improve the overall experience for players. As we finish work, re-prioritize, or move items through development phases we will let the community know what is moving up on the list, what has been added, and where it lives.

Actively in Development

• Progression System improvements including Challenges (initial flight with H2, development is continuing and progressing nicely)  
  • UI/UX Improvements around navigation, roster, customization, and many more areas of the game (being tested in separate branch, will be merged, and released once ready) 
  • Double Key Binds (support for Reach being tested in separate branch, will be merged, and released once ready)
  • View Model Adjustment (being tested in separate branch, will be merged, and released once ready) 
  • Steam Account Linking (being tested in separate branch, will be merged, and released once ready 
  • In Game FPS Cap/Adjustments (being tested in separate branch, will be merged, and released once ready) 
  • Customization Improvements (Added) 

In Design Iteration

• Additional Mod Support
  • Text Chat Improvements (moved back down into design iteration. There are additional aspects we need to take into account, so development is being paused while we solidify design)
  • Additional Video Settings/Options
  • Custom Game Browser (Added)
  • Input-based Matchmaking (Added)
  • Regional Server Selection (Added)
  • Cross-Play between Xbox & PC (Added)
  • Better ways to Report Players (Added)
  • Double Key Binds (Added: additional game support) 

In Backlog Pending Further Discussions

• VFR Improvements to Reach & H2A (Added)
  • Idle System Improvements
  • Bringing PC Features to Console (Like FOV Sliders)
  • Additional Accessibility Support

As always, there are likely some things we’ve neglected to mention in here. Please reach out to us through the various forms of social outlets and let us know your thoughts to help us build our topics for the next development blog.

-farn"

Basically though custom browser, input mm, regional server selection and crossplay are all being worked on. Definitely needed every single one of those

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, darkstar said:

So apparently we’re getting crossplay?

It's being discussed, not in developement yet.

16 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

What are you basing your metrics off of for that. Because even the two games you just mentioned that's not true for. 

Just experience and what I’ve seen. I don’t have any statistics but in those games I don’t have issues finding games in ranked

46 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Just experience and what I’ve seen. I don’t have any statistics but in those games I don’t have issues finding games in ranked

I don't have any statistics but when I did my run today I had no trouble finding other runners. In my experience this means that everyone in my suburb went running today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

9 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

In Design Iteration

• Custom Game Browser (Added)
  • Input-based Matchmaking (Added)
  • Regional Server Selection (Added)
  • Cross-Play between Xbox & PC (Added)

Fucking F I N A L L Y
5e94d0d9f9fe4d775989016513db6ce6

5 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I don't have any statistics but when I did my run today I had no trouble finding other runners. In my experience this means that everyone in my suburb went running today.

But did I say everyone plays ranked in the games I mention? I’d say rank is highly populated in those compared to others where to find a game you gotta wait like  an hour 

7 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Well that might imply a healthy population but that's not indicative of the percentage and player retention. A vast, vast majority of game with placement matches will see a very step falloff after people complete their placement matches, some 90%. Meaning less than 10% of people continue to play rank after the game throws one at them, at least based on the numbers I've seen and picked up on talking to people who work on these systems. Now if the game is generally a popular game you might not palpably notice it as much, like LoL or CS. In a game like Halo 5? It's definitely noticeable, there's plenty of times I couldn't find a match of Doubles.

My point was just that I don't think placement matches are good at giving people incentive to continue to play after receiving their rank. Which is why devs like to reset it every few months, to suck people back in to rerank. But to a lot of people like myself I think it has the opposite effect and diminishes the value of going for one in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, xSociety said:

Wait, is this real?

Add to the to-do list lol

7 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Well that might imply a healthy population but that's not indicative of the percentage and player retention. A vast, vast majority of game with placement matches will see a very step falloff after people complete their placement matches, some 90%. Meaning less than 10% of people continue to play rank after the game throws one at them, at least based on the numbers I've seen and picked up on talking to people who work on these systems. Now if the game is generally a popular game you might not palpably notice it as much, like LoL or CS. In a game like Halo 5? It's definitely noticeable, there's plenty of times I couldn't find a match of Doubles.

My point was just that I don't think placement matches are good at giving people incentive to continue to play after receiving their rank. Which is why devs like to reset it every few months, to suck people back in to rerank. But to a lot of people like myself I think it has the opposite effect and diminishes the value of going for one in the first place. 

You know there’s a reason I mentioned the popular games only. I know h5 there’s issues and in other games as well. H5 ranking has popularity problems though. I wouldn’t say halos 1-50 is a good thing. 

30 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

The game needs to drastically change the branding around it's ranked playlists. It's always been off to the side as this thing that's only for people that take the game super seriously, and it's only exacerbated by names like "Hardcore".

Ranked needs to be prominently featured as the main course. It should offer more XP than social, and that should be clearly communicated in the menu. It should offer exclusive unlocks (tied to wins, not rank). Your service record should show your complete ranking history since launch, with the highest rank achieved in each season, to get completionists to grind every season. There should be a prominent "Average Rank" stat that takes an average of your rank across all ranked lists, encouraging you to grind them all.

You can make ranked feel like what you're supposed to play. Halo 2 has already done this. Make social feel like a side dish; a nice break from ranked, but the entire incentive structure should drive all traffic towards ranked.

Ranked needs a certain population density to work properly. Social doesn't. That's why this change in focus needs to happen.

Exactly spot on man. Like so far there is no incentive to play ranked. In h3 days people wanted that general rank and you couldn’t get it without having a 50 so even casuals played ranked. If there were armor, skins, medals next to your name etc etc that you can only get by playing and winning in ranked people would be more inclined to play ranked. Also they should add a playlist to rank(4s and BTB) that is called spartan wars. This would be exclusive to people in spartan companies only and would be create a better reason to create a spartan company. Wins give that company a certain rank among the companies and people will want to out do others. Restrictions would be you’re only allowed to search with your company, you will match alongside other company members. Just to ensure search times aren’t long you can match along side other companies but your company will receive less points since they basically got assisted.  This rank for each company should reset each season(every two months) so other companies aren’t left in the dust. But there’ll be a service medal of your companies previous ranking. Basically this’ll be h2 clan wars playlist 

• Fire (+1) 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:39 PM, Hard Way said:

The game needs to drastically change the branding around it's ranked playlists. It's always been off to the side as this thing that's only for people that take the game super seriously, and it's only exacerbated by names like "Hardcore".

Ranked needs to be prominently featured as the main course. It should offer more XP than social, and that should be clearly communicated in the menu. It should offer exclusive unlocks (tied to wins, not rank). Your service record should show your complete ranking history since launch, with the highest rank achieved in each season, to get completionists to grind every season. There should be a prominent "Average Rank" stat that takes an average of your rank across all ranked lists, encouraging you to grind them all.

You can make ranked feel like what you're supposed to play. Halo 2 has already done this. Make social feel like a side dish; a nice break from ranked, but the entire incentive structure should drive all traffic towards ranked.

Ranked needs a certain population density to work properly. Social doesn't. That's why this change in focus needs to happen.

It honestly can be pretty annoying when you are searching "Social" and pretty consistently get games with 3-4 sweaty people per team. I think extra XP for ranked matches would be a great incentive for a lot of players. On Xbox there already are a few Competitive playlists that are less "hardcore" anyways. A lot of these are good suggestions/ideas, I don't have much faith in 343 actually implementing them though. 

• Like (+1) 4

Funny how everyone bitches about mmr in games yet want balanced matches. Ranked is right there!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should make the best looking skins and armors achievable through rank. Imagine a skin that you get by 10 or more ranked wins in a row