CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

11 hours ago, Jmacz said:

I just don't understand how I can't find a game in ranked CE doubles with a To2 already. Me and my buddy find a team about once every 3 days. And we either win 50-8 or lose 50-28, and once the other team backs out we never find a game again and go back to 4s. We don't even find games in social dubs...

And then 4's is either just us stomping on people who have no clue what they're doing. Or is decided by who out of me and my buddy and the other to2 we got matched up against got the worst teammates. There seems to be 5 tiers of players

Pro's/Long Time players Who play a shit ton (usually streamers)
Long Time Players
People who don't really get Halo but are good at shooters
People who aren't good at Halo or shooters
People who can't move and aim at the same time.

I think if there was just a way to cut that in half somehow, even if the system just tried to first I think things would be way better. I feel like every other game there's 1-2 people in the game who go like 1-15.

No one who enjoys ce 2s enjoys mcc 2s except like 6 people and the majority of the time these 6 people are trying to sync with each other. 

also welcome to loose skill based match making because the only people left on halo are montagers who tweet 343 daily how its too hard to get clips so give em easier matches. Well except in terms that hides their true intent like “i cant find games please loosen mm even more!”  

halo is also one of the few games that doesnt ban smurfs. 

• Fire (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Then, on the right side, show the respawn times for the major items.

Absolutely blows my mind that this hasn't been implemented yet––not just for CE but, like, every game. Yeah, I know dynamic timers fuck up precise timings in the other games, but goddamn––why, as a developer, would you bother going through all the effort of designing a map around a careful power weapon/item balance and not explain to the player-base that they're supposed to monitor their spawns and fight for them at quasi-regular intervals?

There are so many people, people who have played Halo literally for decades, that don't understand power weapon spawns are regular/predictable; they think they're just random. Aside from the HUD elements in H5, the game has done nothing to explain this to them, and even those do a pretty inadequate job.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Absolutely blows my mind that this hasn't been implemented yet––not just for CE but, like, every game.

Because "iTs A sKiLl To KnOw WhEn ThEy SpAwN"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 2

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I don't have a PC, and I have not been paying attention to PC problems at all. I don't know.

They actually just addressed this in the latest update. Said it would be squashed in the latest update. So shouldn’t be a problem much longer 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Then, and this is gonna sound weird but I think it would help, make the load screens for H1 MP twice as long. Give these players a chance to digest the information. The load screens are already really fast, and unlike newer games the game just starts immediately. A slightly longer delay would be fine, especially if it can help end most of the absolute ignorance from inexperienced players.

Nooooooo. Nobody wants to stare at a loading screen for longer than is absolutely necessary. Short loading screens is one of the few things CE has going for it in terms of appealing to new/casual players.

• Like (+1) 3

Not getting into fair matches and doing so with a 2-3 minute gap in between games is one of the biggest discouraging elements to playing matchmaking. Most people who play don't have a lot of time, and they aren't intent on over 30% of it being spent internally screaming at MCC for restarting player searches. 

I can put up with a game that's not total shit. I can still get good at said game, and learn the meta to it, with practice. 

I cannot put up with a game that's a piece of total shit, in addition to being mismanaged. I consider each match that I play to be a learning experience and an exercise in what I already know, and a long time in between decent games absolutely kills my (and a lot of player's motivations) to play the game. Nobody wants to wait for 20 minute stretches before they get a game that isn't a 3v4 with terrible skill matching. 

One thing that really frustrates me about ce is the inconsistency in hit reg.

11 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Nooooooo. Nobody wants to stare at a loading screen for longer than is absolutely necessary. Short loading screens is one of the few things CE has going for it in terms of appealing to new/casual players.

Yes, right before they get their ass gaped by people that know how to play. I'm sure that's very appealing.

I would much rather wait an extra 5 seconds if it meant my teammates might switch to their pistol, stop running away from powerups that are about to spawn, and stop anchoring shit spawns while they Anne Frank it in the Derelict tunnels.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Yes, right before they get their ass gaped by people that know how to play. I'm sure that's very appealing.

I would much rather wait an extra 5 seconds if it meant my teammates might switch to their pistol, stop running away from powerups that are about to spawn, and stop anchoring shit spawns while they Anne Frank it in the Derelict tunnels.

It's a nice idea in theory, but the loading screen tips have been such ass for so many games that I don't even think most people will read/pay attention to them. 

Like half the time your loading screen tip is "press A to jump. If you hold A to jump you will jump even higher" or something dumb/so obvious in whatever game you are playing. I really don't think the loading screen tips would help, especially at this point when MCC is 6 years old and it's already released on PC. 

If you're going to put a useful tip somewhere, put it in the matchmaking search screen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Better yet, go all the way and make a detailed tutorial for each game in matchmaking, that's easily accessible for all players directly through the game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

This all assumes that the intended audience will actually observe and digest the information on that loading screen instead of dicking around on TikTok or staring into space until the game starts. You can lead a noob with 'wolf' as his clan tag to water, but you can't make him drink.

And it's not as if there are no resources out there for people getting Belladonna'd in H1 matchmaking who want to know what they're doing wrong. Type 'halo combat evolved multiplayer tips' into Youtube and your first CE basics guide video (for weapons) is right there.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

This all assumes that the intended audience will actually observe and digest the information on that loading screen instead of dicking around on TikTok or staring into space until the game starts. You can lead a noob with 'wolf' as his clan tag to water, but you can't make him drink.

And it's not as if there are no resources out there for people getting Belladonna'd in H1 matchmaking who want to know what they're doing wrong. Type 'halo combat evolved multiplayer tips' into Youtube and your first CE basics guide video (for weapons) is right there.

bro why would i watch those the pistol op XD

• Simms (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

The loading screen tips have been useless thusfar, I agree. But if you plainly present the 3 most important things to people before every single game, that has to chip away at the ignorance. They'll notice it's the same three tips every time, and eventually they'll internalize it. Eventually they'll see an overshield spawn exactly as the hill moves, exactly on the minute, and that lightbulb will finally turn on.

I floated the idea of swapping the pistol into the primary slot for social only. I think that would almost entirely eliminate the single biggest knowledge hurdle for new players.

• Like (+1) 1

Why do I feel like the plasma rifle sucks ass in CE. Seriously I pick it up all the time and I've only gotten like 2 kills with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Why do I feel like the plasma rifle sucks ass in CE. Seriously I pick it up all the time and I've only gotten like 2 kills with it.

They fucked the stun effect on it. It's inconsistent as shit now.

Why is it that ce doesn’t spawn us with the pistol. You know how many times I’ve been killed because of the long switch times. The TTK is too quick(if they get a perfect and the first two bullets are easy peasy to hit before they can fight back, imagine if the hit reg was consistent?) ! Is there something about it that’s unbalanced.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Why is it that ce doesn’t spawn us with the pistol. You know how many times I’ve been killed because of the long switch times. The TTK is too quick(if they get a perfect and the first two bullets are easy peasy to hit before they can fight back, imagine if the hit reg was consistent?) ! Is there something about it that’s unbalanced.

Timestamped to answer your question. You're giving a good player with solid awareness about 1 second to retain control if he makes all the right decisions. Without that time, he could do everything right and still lose control just because you got a good spawn.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Timestamped to answer your question. You're giving a good player with solid awareness about 1 second to retain control if he makes all the right decisions. Without that time, he could do everything right and still lose control just because you got a good spawn.

In my opinion that’s fair though(the spawn part) and a sort of unfortunate mess. And also shows bad spawning in general a guy spawning behind you. In other halos i usually don’t die even when I’m getting shot at the instant I spawn, because the ttk is long enough where I can get into cover or pull off a clutch play. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

In my opinion that’s fair though(the spawn part) and a sort of unfortunate mess. And also shows bad spawning in general a guy spawning behind you. In other halos i usually don’t die even when I’m getting shot at the instant I spawn, because the ttk is long enough where I can get into cover or pull off a clutch play. 

The newer games have more spawn points, and you are less likely to spawn and instantly be able to damage someone. Given the restrictions with available spawn points in CE, I would rather have less safe spawns and give the controlling player a chance to retain, than lose control because someone got a great spawn and instantly headshot me.

That said, I'm starting to come around on the idea of reversing this for 4v4. Map control is a lot less fragile with higher team sizes, and I'm less worried about the controlling player getting unfairly punished. In 4v4 and 8v8, I think the brutal spawn killing and total map control severely outweigh your right to not be punished by a lucky spawn.

• Like (+1) 1

I just don’t like the amount of control you have in ce. And it all comes down to the quick AF TTK. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

30 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I just don’t like the amount of control you have in ce. And it all comes down to the quick AF TTK. 

It's probably quicker than it would've been back in the day just because it's a little easier to aim. Although I do feel sometimes that fights are just too short. Other times it feels very satisfying to down a guy in 3 and move on but other times I feel like the real fun of the combat is missed just a tiny bit. 

Like I don't think the game would suffer that much if the magnum was a 4 shot. Maybe it would who knows?

14 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

It's probably quicker than it would've been back in the day just because it's a little easier to aim. Although I do feel sometimes that fights are just too short. Other times it feels very satisfying to down a guy in 3 and move on but other times I feel like the real fun of the combat is missed just a tiny bit. 

Like I don't think the game would suffer that much if the magnum was a 4 shot. Maybe it would who knows?

It absolutely would suffer and we need to find you and the other guy your BR binkies so you'll stop crying.

• Toxic (+1) 1

Quoting a couple day old post here because I changed my mind on posting this, but then a topic I was going to bring up (4sk magnum) was just mentioned and this post draft was saved lol

On 5/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, Mr Grim said:

Its supposed cool feature is slowing down enemies in run and turn speed but I don't know why someone would use it even from behind if they have a Magnum, and wtf would you not have a Magnum on you unless you had two power weapons anyways.

I wonder if CE would have a more balanced sandbox if the Magnum was a 4SK instead. Nobody uses the plasma rifle, plasma pistol, and needler in competitive play for a reason. Even the assault rifle is relegated to a minor niche of backup weapon. Is that reason because they suck or because the Magnum is so good it invalidates other four?

I'm normally in favor of buffs to a sandbox over nerfs to individual aspects but as it stands, if you're caught off guard or you try to gunfight a lad like Hard Way or ilk, the killtimes are a couple milliseconds off of CoD killtimes. That's been my main misgiving with CE; the instant you engage in a Magnum duel in medium or short range it's kill or be killed very quickly. It's so quick that it kind of defeats the purpose of the hybrid health system. Shields don't mean anything if the TTK of a weapon is so low that it's like you don't have two layers of health at all. Now if you had a whole sandbox like that? Would just be crazy. Though maybe it could actually work with the covenant weapons because they have travel time and can be juked easier. Wouldn't change the fact that the Magnum has a TTK the same length of time that it takes to switch to said Magnum off spawn.

What I'm trying to say is, the CE Magnum's kill time is so quick that it trounces the idea of counterplay.

But hey maybe I'm just bad and matchmaking is also bad so my bad self getting rolled by good CE players is giving me the wrong impression. Shit though, it's not like I don't know how to strafe. But then the strafe itself is bad. Maybe a better movement speed and tighter strafe acceleration and a jump that doesn't take a literal half second to work would've gone a long way to balancing the Magnum better.

Maybe I'll get a better impression of the true competitive essence of CE once the Magnum is fixed but damn it already feels like most the people I go against have a fixed Magnum already. I wonder if I'm strafing into their anti-aimed shots. :wutface:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Don't nerf the Magnum, buff or redesign the shitty covenant guns.

You can make the Magnum a five shot and the Needler/Plasma Pistol are still going to be ass anyways.

Meanwhile the Sniper, Shotgun, even AR can beat Magnum just fine already.

And of course fix all of 343i's port jank too.  First before discussing nerfs to anything.