CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

13 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Were things like backpack reload or quick camo intended from Bungie or bugs?

Unintended risk/reward exploits that become advanced competitive techniques in a fair, balanced, and skill based metagame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Nope. If Halo 2's anything to go by, Bungie disliked their existence in the game. 

1 hour ago, JordanB said:

Backpack reload, no.

Certain weapons cloaking faster after firing, yes.

Using those weapons to cloak faster after shooting with a different weapon, no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I played some 4v4 Slayer on Rat Race today, and the camo refused to spawn twice. I'm not sure what happened. OS spawned normally, though. 

Anything similar happen to anyone else? MCC on Xbox One, to clarify. 

1 minute ago, _Synapse said:

I played some 4v4 Slayer on Rat Race today, and the camo refused to spawn twice. I'm not sure what happened. OS spawned normally, though. 

Anything similar happen to anyone else? MCC on Xbox One, to clarify. 

I hope this doesn't come across as an attack, but are you sure it didn't spawn? On Rat Race camo spawns every ninety seconds, not at the one or two minute marks like the other 4v4 maps. Perhaps it didn't spawn, but I've never heard of this issue before so it's really unfortunate if it's a new bug, or maybe it's very rare. Another potential explanation, I can't remember when it happens but under certain situations or timer on screen can bug to not show the right times, I think it has something to do with using the guide button if I remember correctly since I was able to recreate this issue at one point. Maybe your timer was bugged and you were late checking for it?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Silos said:

I hope this doesn't come across as an attack, but are you sure it didn't spawn? On Rat Race camo spawns every ninety seconds, not at the one or two minute marks like the other 4v4 maps. Perhaps it didn't spawn, but I've never heard of this issue before so it's really unfortunate if it's a new bug, or maybe it's very rare. Another potential explanation, I can't remember when it happens but under certain situations or timer on screen can bug to not show the right times, I think it has something to do with using the guide button if I remember correctly since I was able to recreate this issue at one point. Maybe your timer was bugged and you were late checking for it?

Ah, I wasn't aware of the 90 second spawn for camo on Rat Race. The first "spawn" I observed not happening was at 2 minutes, so it's just my error. The second spawn was at 6 minutes, though I was about 3 seconds late to the spawn and somebody could have naded it up. Either way, thanks

• Like (+1) 3

H2a needs to have forge maps in mm. The current map pool of default is unacceptable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Social matchmaking should have at least some invisible ranking system. It doesn't have to be highly restrictive, just filter out all the players with .8 k/ds and below, and put them into their own little separate play pen where they can't ruin regular games with their incompetence.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

Social matchmaking should have at least some invisible ranking system. It doesn't have to be highly restrictive, just filter out all the players with .8 k/ds and below, and put them into their own little separate play pen where they can't ruin regular games with their incompetence.

Because no one has ever complained about skill based matchmaking ever....

17 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Because no one has ever complained about skill based matchmaking ever....

I think the pros outweigh the cons. Pros: 7/10 you’re getting quality matches with and against players of similar skill level. 
cons: possible long search times, sweaty matches every time, and bad connection(especially if you’re western as my average game is east coast in MCC idk about h5 since you can’t know who’s server that is). 

Putting people into different pens is the exact opposite of a "social" experience. There's a reason ranked is its own thing. 343 and others devs seem to forget these details.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Social should try to balance the teams, but other than that should be "everything goes" and focus on giving fast matches and low pings.

• Like (+1) 6

Social was unbearable to play for me in H5 because of SBMM. Oh, you are decent at the game and want to just chill out and play some Social? Well tough shit, we're gonna match you against people of equal skill and every match is gonna be a sweat fest just like ranked. It doesn't help that Social was effectively a copy and paste of Team Arena but with hidden ranks (atleast at the time I played it), in my mind there should be 3 types of Halo maps; Arena, Social and BTB. Social using mostly Arena maps combined with hidden MMR just guarantees that every match will be sweaty and the complete opposite of a 'Social' experience, I do think there should be MMR for the very low skill players so they don't get completely stomped every match but apart from that Social is supposed to be a toss up and never resemble the Hardcore ranked playlist.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

Putting people into different pens is the exact opposite of a "social" experience. There's a reason ranked is its own thing. 343 and others devs seem to forget these details.

The problem Is majority of gamers hate playing ranked in any game, and expect fair matches still. So games implementing a forced ranking system is in order. I’ve never been against it personally, even IF my search times are longer. Ranked implies to always play super sweaty, and mmr is to help Johnny no thumbs not match mlg pro ogre 2 to the best of its ability as getting curb stomp is no fun.

@Mow I want to agree, but something should be in place and apparently MCC has mmr and yer that’s as useless as a bat against air.

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

@Mow I want to agree, but something should be in place and apparently MCC has mmr and yer that’s as useless as a bat against air.

I'd wager most of the problems with match quality on MCC are to do with the low population more than anything else.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

The problem Is majority of gamers hate playing ranked in any game, and expect fair matches still. So games implementing a forced ranking system is in order. I’ve never been against it personally, even IF my search times are longer. Ranked implies to always play super sweaty, and mmr is to help Johnny no thumbs not match mlg pro ogre 2 to the best of its ability as getting curb stomp is no fun.

But sometimes Jimmy does because he's a fan of Ogre 2. He doesn't have to be a sweaty gamer to be a fan of others who are and want to play a low stress game with them. Where else do they get the opportunity to do that without donating/subscribing? The one mode they aren't skilled enough to match against/with them? 

I'm a fan of skill based matchmaking but I recognize that it's honestly not ideal as people don't mind having a couple of blow out games. It sucks for the good players who get heavy teammates but you didn't queue social to have your teammates all pull their weight evenly all the time. That's the nature of the mode and curating it too much can often be problematic. NOTE THAT I AM NOT DISAGREEING WITH THE FACTS YOU ARE PRESENTING, SIMPLY THE EXECUTION OF IT.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, we could resolve all the problems with social and ranked matchmaking by adding better stat collection. An MMR system is necessary to some degree in social matchmaking, otherwise you're gonna end up with matches where a team of casual players ends up getting farmed the entire game by one sweat. 

For both ranked and social, keep track of a player's K/D, tool of destruction, powerups/power weapons picked up, accuracy, and assists. For social matching, separate players into tiers, based off the aforementioned stats. It shouldn't be as segregated as the ranked system, but enough to match players with a similar level of competence within a quick time. 

I.E, instead of rank 50s matching upto 45s, Social "Tier Threes" are prioritized to match other Tier Threes, and can match Tier Twos if there's not enough players online. 

I don't really mind losing if my teammates were average or slightly below average, it's just that I get stomped in a significant proportion of the games I play in because I get absolutely zero support from my teammates. To put it one way, there was a game where I was initially dominating on Boardwalk with 15 kills early on but my team was pretty much tied at 18 because the other 3 players couldn't do anything... It's so unbelievably frustrating that I constantly get teammates with 0.5 K/Ds, like please at least be average since my opponents are almost always competent.

I had an 11 game stretch yesterday where I went positive 10 times, but also lost 10 times. It's not fun.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, TI Inspire said:

I don't really mind losing if my teammates were average or slightly below average, it's just that I get stomped in a significant proportion of the games I play in because I get absolutely zero support from my teammates. To put it one way, there was a game where I was initially dominating on Boardwalk with 15 kills early on but my team was pretty much tied at 18 because the other 3 players couldn't do anything... It's so unbelievably frustrating that I constantly get teammates with 0.5 K/Ds, like please at least be average since my opponents are almost always competent.

I had an 11 game stretch yesterday where I went positive 10 times, but also lost 10 times. It's not fun.

I play beer league hockey, I'm better than almost all the players on my team and that's fine. I'm not frustrated by what they can't do, their talent level is their talent level. I'm frustrated by what they won't do. It does not take talent to cover your point man, it does not take talent to clear the puck up the middle of the ice rather than the boards, it does not take talent to find an open position in the offensive zone, etc. It's like a complete unwillingness to listen.

In Halo, I don't care that my teammates go negative. I care that I'm fighting against three fully-shielded enemies all the time because these players don't even think about trying to cooperate with and look out for their teammates. All I can think about is that these people probably drive the same way they play Halo.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TI Inspire said:

I share your frustration, believe me. We have the exact same issue. But your problem is being caused by SBMM. It is not the solution. The game see's your high MMR, and thinks it can balance out the game by putting average-to-above average players on the other team, while scraping the bottom of the barrel for your team. That's why it's so consistent. I have the exact same issue when I solo que, and it's much worse in games with higher populations like Reach and H3, where the game gets to do what it's trying to do more often. I mostly play H1 4's, with a smaller pop, so eventually the game just gives up and gives me whatever is available, and it ends up being more fun.

The solution is to make ranked more attractive to players and drive more traffic into those lists. Rebrand the UI and the playlist names so you stop trying to scare away the playerbase, give higher XP payouts, exclusive unlockables, and the game should just straight up tell you that this is where you're expected to go if you want fair games. Social should be the wild wild west, and be presented that way. "Anybody plays anybody. You want even games consistently? Play ranked. That's what it's there for."

• Like (+1) 7