CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

There really should be an effort here to hit the ground Day 1 of infinite and come to a consensus about good settings to play around. Just in Halo 5 I remember Evolved, Classic, Pro, Better Slayer, Mythic, and a dozen others. It's difficult to support something like that when there's not any unification. But if a community can rally behind a single set it can definitely pick up steam. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Nothing will remedy it. Not custom options, not making the game 110% sweaty, nothing. Halo doesn't have the mass appeal it once did. Just the way it is.

The trick is to design a game with mass appeal while hiding all the ingredients to an awesome competitive experience within it.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

There really should be an effort here to hit the ground Day 1 of infinite and come to a consensus about good settings to play around. Just in Halo 5 I remember Evolved, Classic, Pro, Better Slayer, Mythic, and a dozen others. It's difficult to support something like that when there's not any unification. But if a community can rally behind a shingle set it can definitely pick up steam. 

• Fire (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

There really should be an effort here to hit the ground Day 1 of infinite and come to a consensus about good settings to play around. Just in Halo 5 I remember Evolved, Classic, Pro, Better Slayer, Mythic, and a dozen others. It's difficult to support something like that when there's not any unification. But if a community can rally behind a single set it can definitely pick up steam. 

Its because everyone tries to galaxy brain their own settings and change everything when they really need to keep it simple and remove only the most bullshit of mechanics or weapons to start with. It didn't take a genius to realize the ARs needed to go as a spawn weapon or that promethean nades were stupid but people tried to bundle that with massive sweeping changes that 343 was obviously never on board with if it meant exposing most players in the game to them. Even 343 did that shit in fact remember when Quinn had us testing dual binary rifles on coliseum?

• Like (+1) 4

49 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Its because everyone tries to galaxy brain their own settings and change everything when they really need to keep it simple and remove only the most bullshit of mechanics or weapons to start with. It didn't take a genius to realize the ARs needed to go as a spawn weapon or that promethean nades were stupid but people tried to bundle that with massive sweeping changes that 343 was obviously never on board with if it meant exposing most players in the game to them. Even 343 did that shit in fact remember when Quinn had us testing dual binary rifles on coliseum?

You kind of have to "galaxy brain" everything to gleam any sort of satisfaction. H5 had like 5 classic settings because everyone had a different way with dealing with the sandbox. None of them were very good because classic simply doesn't work in H5. You'd have to do Magnums only since literally everything else is aids (which doesn't even work because of the shit-tier aiming).

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

You kind of have to "galaxy brain" everything to gleam any sort of satisfaction. H5 had like 5 classic settings because everyone had a different way with dealing with the sandbox. None of them were very good because classic simply doesn't work in H5. You'd have to do Magnums only since literally everything else is aids (which doesn't even work because of the shit-tier aiming).

Yeah I'm not saying its impossible to create enjoyable settings for yourself. I'm just saying that 343 will never, ever, implement that in a timely fashion if at all. So its pretty much a waste of time unless you run your own lobbies 

• Like (+1) 1

I got back on normal MCC which I haven't been on in a while and I still sometimes get stuck at a blackscreen while waiting for a map to load, so I had to close the game which of course gave me a matchmaking ban. I think they need to focus on fixing what's already on the PC instead of trying to get the other games on here now.

I'm finishing up a CE video about how to use quick camo, reload efficiency, and a few other tips. Should have it out in the next couple days.  If anyone wants to help me cap some footage tomorrow (Wed the 22nd), I still need a handful of shots that I'd prefer to not record in splitscreen. Should only take about 15min.

• Like (+1) 2

What is the consensus on H2C's beta right now? The typical "it might be a little better, but its hard to tell?" or are there actual improvements? 

16 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I'm finishing up a CE video about how to use quick camo, reload efficiency, and a few other tips. Should have it out in the next couple days.  If anyone wants to help me cap some footage tomorrow (Wed the 22nd), I still need a handful of shots that I'd prefer to not record in splitscreen. Should only take about 15min.

I can hop on sometime between 6:00 and 7:00pm EST tonight or tomorrow if you need a hand. Otherwise Friday night I'm completely free if you're wanting to wait.

2 hours ago, Silos said:

I can hop on sometime between 6:00 and 7:00pm EST tonight or tomorrow if you need a hand. Otherwise Friday night I'm completely free if you're wanting to wait.

Nice! Yeah lets shoot for tonight.

• Fire (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Nice! Yeah lets shoot for tonight.

Sounds good, I'll jump on in like thirty minutes then. Jump on whenever and we'll get it done.

• Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

@Basu When H2A and H2C hit, would it be possible to give the former the GoldPro treatment?

It seems modding is possible, but I don't really see a H2A GPMA happening. It's a ton of work and what does H2A really offer that Reach can't?

H2A is an upgraded H4 which is an "upgraded" Reach. In theory it should have a lot more Megalo coding options compared to Reach.

GoldPro Ricochet. :walshy:

(ricochet was kinda fun dont @ me)

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

H2A is an upgraded H4 which is an "upgraded" Reach. In theory it should have a lot more Megalo coding options compared to Reach.

More likely the opposite. As engines "improve" it becomes very difficult to do very simple things. Example, many old games had big head mode. This was easy, you just scaled the head up. Want to try that in a modern engine? It would break the skeleton, shaders, blend state animations, collision, light maps, etc. Not as easy as it used to be. This is what makes old engines really easy to mod and work with. 

Literally no real reason to move to H2A. Reach is more than fine. Sitri just needs to get back in the kitchen is all.

(Maybe if people played he would.)

12 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

Hmm, getting Extraction and a visible OS would be interesting, definitely things that Reach lacks. But then again H2A has really weird sound design, even worse map pool than Reach, fucking glare everywhere and doesn't have a GL and the pistol looks dumb.

7 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

*cries in GPMA fanboy*

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

Literally no real reason to move to H2A. Reach is more than fine. Sitri just needs to get back in the kitchen is all.

Working on GPMA really burned me out on Halo as a whole.

1 hour ago, Sitri said:

Working on GPMA really burned me out on Halo as a whole.

Has seeing what modding can do, and what it cannot do, given you any insight on your overall sandbox design philosophy?  Was there a certain kind of weapon you wanted to create but the tools wouldn’t allow it?  

51 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Has seeing what modding can do, and what it cannot do, given you any insight on your overall sandbox design philosophy?  Was there a certain kind of weapon you wanted to create but the tools wouldn’t allow it?  

After how much time it took to tweak, I hate the grenade launcher. Even though I gave it higher damage overall and a more consistent splash damage curve, it seems even more inconsistent than the default one. Trying to balance out its two fire modes hardly seems worth it as well. I would personally either cut it entirely, or keep it to a single fire mode.

I would have liked to give the shotgun a faster draw time, but I was never able to find the correct values to modify for such a thing. Halo's shotguns suck because of how much commitment they require. Being able to make it draw from a single ammo pool would have been ideal as well, removing the need to reload it. The weapon is so niche that it needs all the help it can get.

Forcing the plasma repeater to stop firing entirely when it overheats instead of slowly ramping down as it heats up would have been one of my top changes. I attempted giving the repeater similar values to the plasma rifle, but it lacks proper "overheat" animations so it was really buggy. I thought the plasma rifle's viewmodel looked ugly, so I just settled on the spiker being the main stun gun & shield stripper.

For things that aren't weapons, I would have loved to make fall damage act more consistently and not be so weighted against shields, but sadly it seems impossible to accomplish. From what I understand, fall damage will take you down to a shield/health percentage instead of subtracting it from your total health percentage. Removing overshield decay is something else I wanted, but also sadly seems impossible.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

These guides take freakin forever to make. Feels good to hit publish. If this helps you out in any way, help me gain some exposure with a like/comment/subscribe/share.

Shoutout to @Silos for his help!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Decided to jump onto Xbox MCC for some Halo 2 since I haven't got into the Insider program yet. For some reason the menu volume is miles above game volume and the game is trying to blow out my earn drums with the EXP progression menu as soon as I get out of game if I have the audacity to turn the volume up enough to hear game sounds.

I've been patient with MCC, possibly because I didn't pick it up until after it had its major overhaul to improve it form launch state, but oh my god this might be the straw that broke the camel's back and leaves me fed up with this poor excuse for a sellable product. :salt::salt::salt:

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

I've been patient with MCC, possibly because I didn't pick it up until after it had its major overhaul to improve it form launch state, but oh my god this might be the straw that broke the camel's back and leaves me fed up with this poor excuse for a sellable product. :salt::salt::salt:

B-but...but...MCC is fixed! Halo's on PC! Infinite is getting Reach style customization! Halo's making a comeback!  

:kappa: