CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

OS, Camo, Rockets, and Sniper are all a beautiful game of rock paper scissors. However.. in OG H1 the OS is far less useful if you are trying to fight camo/rocks. Rockets and pistol are just too weak in MCC so OS is much much smarter to pick up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

Ran into @Hard Way in matchmaking and he killed me with the needler (in CE). I feel so embarrassed, it should be illegal what he's doing!

I've also learned the importance of timing camo on Chill Out; I'd been only timing OS and rockets, but now I know that camo has value too.

Hey! I wasn't paying attention to names and I didn't piece together that was you. Sorry about that! That was the best game I had all night.

If you took some of the most popular H5 maps and remade them in the scale of maps in H3/H2 do you think they would work as competitively viable maps in those games? I think it would be interesting to see how that would play out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, logan said:

Here's a clip to show how messed up the spawn system is on MCC H3. Keep in mind, the opponent was four dead as I was spawning.

https://gameclips.io/OnAllDrugs/1b8e8cd9-512b-4af8-92d8-45b76e415d4d

That’s just how h3 spawns work. Spawns aren’t dictated based on enemy position, they’re dictated where you die, which is actually a well balanced spawn system so people aren’t constantly spawning in the same place every time. 

2 hours ago, NAK said:

If you took some of the most popular H5 maps and remade them in the scale of maps in H3/H2 do you think they would work competitively viable maps in those games? I think it would be interesting to see how that would play out. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Coliseum and Fathom

• Upvote (+1) 1

What does the ideal spawn system look like? I think we can unanimously agree that it should be 100% predictable for non-randoms, so that players can actually plan. 

CE's is just fine for 2v2s. 

For 4v4 and above, I'm thinking -

• Spawns are naturally weighted towards teammates not engaged in combat. 

• If all teammates are in combat, then spawns are weighted as far as possible from the point of last death, 100% of the time. 

• Random spawn points are distributed strategically across maps in 4v4, and require only one teammate to be positioned correctly to provide a random spawn 100% of the time.

Thoughts? 

The map, gametype, kill times, and spawn points significantly affects what would work best. 

u def dont want randomness. That fucking blows when youre on the wrong side and its hollow when youre on the right side. 

But on the flip side when spawns are 100% predictable, its easy to snowball. 

i think there definitely should be an enemy player radius/bubble. 100% no spawning within 10m of an enemy including vertical (most halos dont account for vertical).  

i think the not spawning on a grenade or rocket path is fine.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nokt said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Coliseum and Fathom

Imagine Fathom but with the art style of the Halo 2 mission "Regret"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Plaza could have potential, I also thought Eden wasn't the worst thing ever.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

All the maps would look 10000x better if they got rid of the godawful shiny chrome look on everything. Aesthetically speaking, how the hell do you go from Epitaph to Coliseum? How do you manage to go from Heretic to Truth? 

• Like (+1) 2

I like Plaza as a concept. A nice room based map with cover that lets you traverse the map. If the design stays the same but it gets reformed for a classic halo I could like it a lot. It was something that was missing in halo 2-3. 

• Like (+1) 1

I actually met the art director for Halo 4/5 about a month ago. He was not a fan of Bungies art lol. 

17 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I actually met the art director for Halo 4/5 about a month ago. He was not a fan of Bungies art lol. 

Did you say "I'm not a fan of you," turn around while putting on sun glasses, and walk away with an explosion in the background?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Three Six Xero said:

Did you say "I'm not a fan of you," turn around while putting on sun glasses, and walk away with an explosion in the background?

Not quite lol I just reiterated on how good I thought Halo 3 and Destiny both look. 

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Not quite lol I just reiterated on how good I thought Halo 3 and Destiny both look. 

Destiny on highest graphics is memorizing.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Shekkles said:

We now have a horrible map that looks slightly better.

Although I do wonder why the underwater Regret palette never got a multiplayer map in H2 while we got like six Old Mombasa maps.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Did he say why? 

27 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I'd love to know what possesses people to think bunching up in SWAT is a good idea.

The average SWAT player's intellectual match would be two amoebas. One amoeba for H2/H3/H4 SWAT. 

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Did he say why? 

Yeah we talked about the art of Halo and whatnot over lunch. 

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I'd love to know what possesses people to think bunching up in SWAT is a good idea.

In SWAT, the opening rush on Zealot was a lot of fun for this exact reason.  99% of the time all 8 players ran straight to top gold so one team is getting fully wiped right off the bat.  

22 hours ago, Arlong said:

That’s just how h3 spawns work. Spawns aren’t dictated based on enemy position, they’re dictated where you die, which is actually a well balanced spawn system so people aren’t constantly spawning in the same place every time. 

It's both, along with several other factors. There's a whole "positive weight, negative weight" thing going on. Recent deaths do create the greatest negative weight, but enemy positions absolutely created negative weight as well, at least on OG.  Then there were other negative influences like grenades (that's why people nade mauler on Pit CTF) and line of sight.  Teammate positions created positive weight.

I remember reading a detailed write-up on this in 2008 on the MLG forums. It was pretty interesting. I think @TiberiusAudley  or @Trajan might know what I'm referring to? 

I still think H3 had a very good 4v4 spawn system. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

It's both, along with several other factors. There's a whole "positive weight, negative weight" thing going on. Recent deaths do create the greatest negative weight, but enemy positions absolutely created negative weight as well, at least on OG.  Then there were other negative influences like grenades (that's why people nade mauler on Pit CTF) and line of sight.  Teammate positions created positive weight.

I remember reading a detailed write-up on this in 2008 on the MLG forums. It was pretty interesting. I think @TiberiusAudley  or @Trajan might know what I'm referring to? 

I still think H3 had a very good 4v4 spawn system. 

b0b43 had a detailed breakdown of H3 spawns, using "Double Blocks" as a measurement for spawn lengths, if I recall correctly.  It is lost to the ether, but I think Fyrewulff Rex might have a less in-depth one floating around on the internet still findable.

One of the main things to learn for H3 spawns is: It's better to leave someone on Narrows Flag one shot at their back cannon than kill them, because they'll keep spawning their teammates there unable to contest a flag.  Body them, make them hide, don' theadshot and kill the spawn influence.

• Like (+1) 1