CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

6 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

Ce is unreal but camo is too powerful. 

Nah dude. When I get it against good people I can hardly ever get loose with it. It's about prediction. Where would you go if you were camo'd? K...look there. Spam some nades. Even when I do get loose with it and get my choice of first shot, if I choose a bad shot or execute poorly, I waste the camo and get punished hard.

It's a great powerup, but I've seen it countered way too many times to believe it's OP. Just takes some game knowledge.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Then once it's a natural part of your game, and you play other people who also know this stuff, and you get an experience that's deeper, faster, and more cerebral than any Halo after it.

My best friends and I have been playing games together since 2006 when I met them. One of our favourite games is Supreme Commander and there is a community mod called Forged Alliance Forever (FAF). We all love this game and have played hundreds of hours together.

None of us were particularly good.

Then one of my friends and I started watching gameplay on YouTube, reading guides and playing ranked matches. We got sweaty. We got good.

Then what happened? We literally could not play with our other friends anymore. We were so high above them that we were bored playing at their level and they were extremely frustrated playing at ours. It split our entire group and we haven't played FAF in years because of the divide. So we moved on to the next game.

I don't want this to happen with Halo. Fortunately, most of my friends don't like CE whatsoever so I can learn it in my own time for my own pleasure. But you have to understand that being 40x better than my friends is not an enjoyable experience and I don't particularly want to join a competitive Australian CE group just to git gud when I could instead have a blast with my friends without any homework.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The problem most people are having is directly related to a lack of understanding/practice on top of having to play against people who are probably better. You likely don't get smashed by the rocket camo guy for an entire game if you aren't really timing stuff/trying if the game matched you with people playing at a similar level. CE is just helping to expose a poor MM system because its painfully obvious when it isn't working in that game

• Like (+1) 1

59GB update for XB1, did they really not add much other than the CE customization and the classic sounds? 

58 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Absolutely. There is definitely a balance that can be found here though.

Some dude sitting top in dammy nading sniper, camo and rocket to themselves every 60 seconds and spawn killing people over and over does not make the spawn killed players think "ah, this is my fault, I should learn the spawn system."

I don't particularly want to spend 12 hours learning how to nade powerups and weapons to me or watch in-depth 20 minute videos on how the spawns work. If I was competing in a tournament or trying to rank higher then 100% I'd be into that. But I'm not. I'm matchmaking with some mates in 4s and having a couple beers. I ain't doing no homework.

Different stokes for different folks I guess. When I first started playing CE there were times I would play damny and not even break double digits between my partner and me. I’m talking just getting sniped and rocketed constantly by what seemed to be a ghost. Was it frustrating? Hell yeah it was. Did it make me think that there was something to CE as a competitive game that other halos lacked? Yup. There’s a reason I know how to nade camo down from a thousand different angles on damny now. 

Like Hardway said it doesn’t even take that long. Taking a couple hours out of your time to improve your performance by a large amount to play a game you can spend hundreds of hours playing is nothing. It will improve your performance and improve your overall experience and enjoyment of the game. When you play with someone who knows what they are doing and you’re of equal skill the mind games that play out in CE are so rewarding. 

That all being said I can get why people don’t want to devote time to an old game with a barely existent population. I just hope Infinite can offer the kind of competitive depth that CE offers with all the the technical improvements modern technology offers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Absolutely. There is definitely a balance that can be found here though.

Some dude sitting top in dammy nading sniper, camo and rocket to themselves every 60 seconds and spawn killing people over and over does not make the spawn killed players think "ah, this is my fault, I should learn the spawn system."

I don't particularly want to spend 12 hours learning how to nade powerups and weapons to me or watch in-depth 20 minute videos on how the spawns work. If I was competing in a tournament or trying to rank higher then 100% I'd be into that. But I'm not. I'm matchmaking with some mates in 4s and having a couple beers. I ain't doing no homework.

learning nade tricks and spawns coming from any halo is less time than learning how to play fortnite, the most accessible game, at a baseline level. especially in your case when you've spent more time on beyond forums than actually trying to learn the game. like fuck just watch videos while you're q'ing up. 

54 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Nah dude. When I get it against good people I can hardly ever get loose with it. It's about prediction. Where would you go if you were camo'd? K...look there. Spam some nades. Even when I do get loose with it and get my choice of first shot, if I choose a bad shot or execute poorly, I waste the camo and get punished hard.

It's a great powerup, but I've seen it countered way too many times to believe it's OP. Just takes some game knowledge.

Play with bad people and you can walk around the map with camo like a god. Play with people who are good and you will get punished left and right for every little mistake you make. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when I have camo my map movement is anything but care free. If anything it is even more precise and thought out than when I don’t have camo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Riddler said:

learning nade tricks and spawns coming from any halo is less time than learning how to play fortnite, the most accessible game, at a baseline level. especially in your case when you've spent more time on beyond forums than actually trying to learn the game. like fuck just watch videos while you're q'ing up. 

Seriously. I watched a few nade videos and was immediately using them in MM. They became second nature almost instantly. Its not even that you have to learn every single angle to nade stuff. One or two angles goes a long way, then you can start picking up more as you go along. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Power weapons are bad LMAO bad kids HAHAHAHA xD /s

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Hard Way said:

There's no doubt that CE requires more homework to compete at a baseline level with experienced players. But you do it one time. It's not like Smite or League where you consistently have to memorize every item, every character, and they all change every update.

Ffs there's like 7 maps and less than 30 spawns on all of them. 5min on Halospawns on each map and you'll know the randoms and how to give certain spawns. Learn a few nade tricks per map and practice them in social 4's to lock in the muscle memory. Boom. Baseline competency forever. It's some work up front, no doubt. But you learn it once and you can always use it. Then once it's a natural part of your game, and you play other people who also know this stuff, and you get an experience that's deeper, faster, and more cerebral than any Halo after it.

@Shekkles there's quite a bit wrong with that post. I'm not sure if you were being literal with the Dammy example or just exaggerating, but those are bad examples. I highly doubt he was doing all those things on that map. Even if he was, might I suggest looking at camo at the top of every minute?

The videos on halonades.com are legitimately like 15 seconds each. Hell, just look at the stand, prep, and throw screenshots and you won't even need to watch a video. It's not an overwhelming amount of work, I promise.  Learn a camo nade on Dammy. Learn a snipe nade on Hang Em. It'll change the map for you, and it's not that hard. 5min with your internet browser up in a custom and you'll forever be better at that map.

Yeah I call straight bullshit when you’re a CE die hard who’s never missed a LAN . You can’t tell someone if they do all that they’ll straight up have all that down, in their brains. That shit takes muscle memory, and you got a decades worth on you. 

• Downvote (-1) 3
  • Salt (-1) 3

I honestly think it’s just the way the game feels. It physically feels horrible. The movement and animations are clunky AF, shit looks horrible from a graphic standpoint and yes graphics do matter to a degree. It’s 2020 and yet h3 is a game that looks beautiful. From experience playing the gold pro mod that’s what I would expect more from a CE modern experience, than well this. That is enjoyable. This game just isn’t for me, I gave it a shot, and left dissatisfied.

• Salt (-1) 2

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Yeah I call straight bullshit when you’re a CE die hard who’s never missed a LAN . You can’t tell someone if they do all that they’ll straight up have all that down, in their brains. That shit takes muscle memory, and you got a decades worth on you. 

I'm not a CE die hard. Once Halo 2 came out the only time I played CE was at LAN's with friends when we got bored. I didn't even attempt to learn 2's until the playlist was added in MCC. I watched 2 maybe 3 videos on nade spots. I use them in MM now like I knew they were a thing in 01. With how useful they are you are using them constantly and its super easy to get the memorization down. 

41 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I honestly think it’s just the way the game feels. It physically feels horrible. The movement and animations are clunky AF, shit looks horrible from a graphic standpoint and yes graphics do matter to a degree. It’s 2020 and yet h3 is a game that looks beautiful. From experience playing the gold pro mod that’s what I would expect more from a CE modern experience, than well this. That is enjoyable. This game just isn’t for me, I gave it a shot, and left dissatisfied.

Graphics only matter as much as you want them to.
I'd say you gave the game a fair shot, but if you aren't willing to put in the small amount of time to learn a few nade spots you aren't giving the game a fair shot. No competitive game is going to leave you feeling satisfied if you aren't willing to put in the time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

arlong it just sounds like ur playing ce while pretending ur playing h3. 

halo1/2/3just feels so slow, u cant sprint -  Is literally the same argument u just made. “I cant get over it.” Bruh you raised the fence yourself. 

the graphics also look really good. We literally just came from a game with 3/6 maps being grey maps that look worse than hang em high. No one is admiring the detail of a 10x zoom on a chestplate in a game. U gunna tell me right now which pros, hell any pro, rocked the none default armor pieces for h3 2007-2010? Cant rock mismatched on mcc but even then i bet u dont know the helmets of any pro off the top of your head. Halo3’s graphics are a smidge above ce’s. Its just has a more vibrant art style. The spartans do backflips in h3 instead of twirls? Wow

Youre really just looking for things to complain about. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

I sometimes feel CE has even worse movement than H3 and Reach. Strafing is obviously better than those atrocities but fuck jumping is so floaty and there is barely any air control, then you hit the ground and get stunned for 2 seconds lmao. Or how clunky and slow ladders are in general. H2 movement >>> any day of the week.

Also idk why people complain about the items in CE. They spawn on a static timer and you have the most potent starting weapon in the series. No excuses to not acquire them. Getting fucked over because someone is cheesing dynamic timers in the other games sucks, but if you both know OS/camo/rockets is coming up it's your own fault for not contesting it. That's the beauty of CE.

• Like (+1) 7

CE may look dated and the movement may be clunky as hell, but the weapon spawn system and the nade tricks alone make the game incredibly fun to play, even at a competitive level. 

t. H2 kid

• Upvote (+1) 2

Something I just re-realized, why the hell does the H3 BR choose to not register your shots when the bullets from your burst are clearly hitting the opponent????

Like, I can literally see my entire burst hitting my opponent but his shields won't flare at all. 

Holy fuck vanilla H3 is aggravating. Especially in MCC. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Riddler said:

arlong it just sounds like ur playing ce while pretending ur playing h3. 

halo1/2/3just feels so slow, u cant sprint -  Is literally the same argument u just made. “I cant get over it.” Bruh you raised the fence yourself. 

the graphics also look really good. We literally just came from a game with 3/6 maps being grey maps that look worse than hang em high. No one is admiring the detail of a 10x zoom on a chestplate in a game. U gunna tell me right now which pros, hell any pro, rocked the none default armor pieces for h3 2007-2010? Cant rock mismatched on mcc but even then i bet u dont know the helmets of any pro off the top of your head. Halo3’s graphics are a smidge above ce’s. Its just has a more vibrant art style. The spartans do backflips in h3 instead of twirls? Wow

Youre really just looking for things to complain about. 

Lol I can see shit on those grey Maps. In CE everything looks all dark and shit. 

9 hours ago, Arlong said:

Bro, BL 5 in 2016 was my first major LAN with good players. I legit studied for that LAN so that I knew how to play each map somewhat (and also so I wouldn't sound like an idiot my first time casting a game).  I DID IT. I can absolutely tell you that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Arlong said:

Lol but you’re blatantly mocking those that prefer that and think they’re lesser skilled. 

Even if I was blatantly mocking them, so what? I stated an objective fact.

• Downvote (-1) 1

18 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Because in CE a player has responsibilities at all times, fast-paced shit that is unique among all Halo games.

If I'm in the mood to play Halo but not take it seriously, I hop on H2, because I know that game has a lot more downtime and spoonfed encounters/mechanics. CE isn't like that, and most Halo players are uncomfortable with that expectation.

I’m the reverse. If I want to chill out I’ll hop on CE and if it want to pull my hair out I’ll get on H2. The skill gap in CE is so massive that if you’re vaguely familiar with CE mechanics you’ll dominate most games, dropping 20/30 bombs.

In H2 the skill gap shrinks considerably. One bad teammate will have you eating dirt for most of the game. I feel It’s so much easier to carry in CE. Not saying it’s a easier game, just that if you’re skilled you don’t have to worry about much randomness from game to game. So it’s much easier to take it easy in a social setting. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Even if I was blatantly mocking them, so what? I stated an objective fact.

No you didn’t. 

6 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

I’m the reverse. If I want to chill out I’ll hop on CE and if it want to pull my hair out I’ll get on H2. The skill gap in CE is so massive that if you’re vaguely familiar with CE mechanics you’ll dominate most games, dropping 20/30 bombs.

In H2 the skill gap shrinks considerably. One bad teammate will have you eating dirt for most of the game. I feel It’s so much easier to carry in CE. Not saying it’s a easier game, just that if you’re skilled you don’t have to worry about much randomness from game to game. So it’s much easier to take it easy in a social setting. 

That’s honestly  the case in 2v2 though. It’s easier to carry a team to victory. In fact the maps playstyle now changes entirely when extra players are added.

I much prefer halo to allow an individual to stand out. Thats way I still have a soft spot for CE and H2. Even though the skill gap is smaller then CE, no other game in the series comes close.

The fact that it is theoretically possible for a player to completely master the CE pistol and 3 shot every thing in sight and it’s also theoretically possible to quad shot in every dual in H2 and that’ll still be scratching the surface for both games keeps me coming back even a decade later. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

I suppose there's a third kind of experience here, which is solo grinding. During the Reach years, I was completely fed up with Halo and effectively stopped playing it, since XBC was garbage and nobody LAN'ed anymore. What I did eventually find to be enjoyable was playing MW2 and MW3. To be clear, I'm not really into CoD, like at all actually. However, one thing I quickly found to be true about playing a game in the style of CoD was that the context of normal matchmaking competition, the ratio of teamwork to individual effort was vastly skewed in favor of the latter - in teamshot heavy Halo games, it was bent in extreme favor of the former. That is to say, if you wanted to just go into a team-based game and kind of do your own thing, CoD would let you do that. Every Halo after CE? Not a chance.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Basu said:

idk why people complain about the items in CE. They spawn on a static timer 

I don’t think an audio game clock is viable for widespread consumption but some kind of alert would be useful.  

30 seconds before a power weapon spawns, a small picture of it appears next to the game clock.  The weapon icon remains next to the game clock for 30 seconds then disappears once the power item has spawned.  

• Like (+1) 1