CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a proto-bloom mechanic on the pistol? 

I know there's spread, but I think that waiting for the slide on the pistol to reset (about .1-.2 seconds after each shot) produces more accurate shots. 

Of course, I've only ever tested this out on MCC on XB1. 

So, 343 were crazy enough to invite me into the MCC beta again for H1. Really, the quality of games I have had so far just make me want Halo 5 on PC already.

Let me explain...

Playing Halo 1 on American host goes one of two ways... Either you play people that run around with AR's while you time every power up and dominate them or you play people that still LAN Halo 1 to this day and absolutely smash you because the latency makes killing them with a pistol literally impossible. Sometimes you die on the server before your client even spawns you into the game.

Halo 1 will NEVER become popular or an esport again outside some small local tournaments and most the people looking forward to Halo on PC just want to play the dog shit that is Halo 3 anyway, so if any Halo game were to become popular again on PC (before Infinite that is) we're looking at Halo 3... Joy...

Halo 1 is just too clunky compared to modern FPS standards. Hell, we can't even make Quake popular again when adding champion abilities, cosmetic loot boxes and other crap, so what hope in hell do we have of people coming back to a game where a team can force an entire team to spawn directly on top of grenades by abusing the spawn system? Yeah, think about it...

I've played more than a dozen games at this point and every single one has been US host. I get it's the beta and there's probably few Australian players in this flight, but I have no delusion that when Halo 1 is officially released on PC that players are going to flock to the game for any more than a week just to satisfy their curiosity.

Really, this whole Halo PC experiment has been done backwards. We should have started with Halo 5 to draw PC gamers into the Halo universe with a modern title that has far more customisation and isn't such a crazy departure from modern FPS. They've already released half the game as well as a dedicated server for PC's... FFS just give us the rest of the damn game already!

Halo 5 with mod support actually has potential to revive arena FPS on PC. Halo 1 does not.

343, just give us H5 FFS.

Don't get me wrong, I still look forward to playing low latency Halo 1 with the full release, but I know it's probably going to be a short trip down nostalgia lane and not a long term sustainable player base for a competitive game. That is what we really need.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

Dude I have 300 down and up, that’s better than what majority have, since most people don’t live in areas where they can bust out 1000. 

300 down and up literally means nothing. u can have 10,000 down and up and it can be worse than 1up/down. 

we all need to stop using this as any sort of metric. 

only things that matter

1. location

2. packet loss (on your end and the servers end)

3. the routes your isp assigns you.

There are literally cases in australia where they will route you to Los angeles then back to sydney to connect to a sydney server. So instead of 20ms u get 300. It doesnt matter if you have 1million down/up. 

a company that offers 1up/down with no packet loss but sends you on the fastest routes is the best case scenario for halo 1-3. There are games that use more bandwidth but theyre all under 5. So 1down isnt always good enough, but almost every single person has above 5 anyway. 

also mcc servers suck. 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Pyroteq said:

So, 343 were crazy enough to invite me into the MCC beta again for H1. Really, the quality of games I have had so far just make me want Halo 5 on PC already.

Let me explain...

Playing Halo 1 on American host goes one of two ways... Either you play people that run around with AR's while you time every power up and dominate them or you play people that still LAN Halo 1 to this day and absolutely smash you because the latency makes killing them with a pistol literally impossible. Sometimes you die on the server before your client even spawns you into the game.

Halo 1 will NEVER become popular or an esport again outside some small local tournaments and most the people looking forward to Halo on PC just want to play the dog shit that is Halo 3 anyway, so if any Halo game were to become popular again on PC (before Infinite that is) we're looking at Halo 3... Joy...

Halo 1 is just too clunky compared to modern FPS standards. Hell, we can't even make Quake popular again when adding champion abilities, cosmetic loot boxes and other crap, so what hope in hell do we have of people coming back to a game where a team can force an entire team to spawn directly on top of grenades by abusing the spawn system? Yeah, think about it...

I've played more than a dozen games at this point and every single one has been US host. I get it's the beta and there's probably few Australian players in this flight, but I have no delusion that when Halo 1 is officially released on PC that players are going to flock to the game for any more than a week just to satisfy their curiosity.

Really, this whole Halo PC experiment has been done backwards. We should have started with Halo 5 to draw PC gamers into the Halo universe with a modern title that has far more customisation and isn't such a crazy departure from modern FPS. They've already released half the game as well as a dedicated server for PC's... FFS just give us the rest of the damn game already!

Halo 5 with mod support actually has potential to revive arena FPS on PC. Halo 1 does not.

343, just give us H5 FFS.

Don't get me wrong, I still look forward to playing low latency Halo 1 with the full release, but I know it's probably going to be a short trip down nostalgia lane and not a long term sustainable player base for a competitive game. That is what we really need.

Halo was literally dead 2018. H5 was barely even a ripple 2015-2017. Even with a million+ dollars, h5 was still less popular than ce-3. Without any dev money, its irrelevant. H3 was super dead 2015-2018. Its only because 343 pumped some money into it thats its on life support. 

halo is essentially dead until infinite drops. H5 would be more dead than h3 at this point. 

also you have @Shekkles, ogre1, and mint blitz. Host up

• Like (+1) 2

Halo online got 20k people to play it without any advertisements in a day.  H3 McC gives me hope

Just now, Arlong said:

Halo online got 20k people to play it without any advertisements in a day.  H3 McC gives me hope

wtf are you talking about it peaked at like ~10k

9 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

wtf are you talking about it peaked at like ~10k

It actually reached 20k. But then after M$ stepped in it started going down. 

Can somebody tell me if I'm crazy here? I just looked at Steam's top-100 and Halo isn't even on the list. Does that mean this game is getting less than 6,000 people on it? If so, that is...wow.

Also, fuck this game.

8 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Can somebody tell me if I'm crazy here? I just looked at Steam's top-100 and Halo isn't even on the list. Does that mean this game is getting less than 6,000 people on it? If so, that is...wow.

Steam charts has it around 4200.

• Toxic (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

I'm betting the majority of the purchases for Steam MCC were in anticipation of H3. At least that's a common sentiment I've seen around other places. People can't wait to experience that terrible gunplay in silky 100 FPS 8K glory I guess. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

Too bad no one's nostalgic for H4 ProMod. :mj:

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a proto-bloom mechanic on the pistol? 

I know there's spread, but I think that waiting for the slide on the pistol to reset (about .1-.2 seconds after each shot) produces more accurate shots. 

Of course, I've only ever tested this out on MCC on XB1. 

Bloom exists in vanilla H1. It is minimal, and very rarely impacts a fight, but it exists.

However, in MCC, I believe the game sometimes interprets max RoF trigger pulls as if you’re holding down the trigger, which causes massive spread. I notice when I take my finger off the trigger between shots, I never get this problem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Faeyrin said:

I'm betting the majority of the purchases for Steam MCC were in anticipation of H3. At least that's a common sentiment I've seen around other places. People can't wait to experience that terrible gunplay in silky 100 FPS 8K glory I guess. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

H3 isn’t a bad game, most halo players enjoy it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

Bloom exists in vanilla H1. It is minimal, and very rarely impacts a fight, but it exists.

However, in MCC, I believe the game sometimes interprets max RoF trigger pulls as if you’re holding down the trigger, which causes massive spread. I notice when I take my finger off the trigger between shots, I never get this problem.

Don't remember if the Xbox MCC version does that, but bloom shouldn't occur if the player only taps the trigger on the CE Magnum even if it is being fired at the max RoF. Bloom really only occurs on automatic weaponry in CE, and the mechanic exists on the Magnum to simply prevent players from haphazardly holding down the trigger.

2 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

H3 sucks, but Pro Mod isn't much better.

On a more contemporary note, anyone else getting atrocious hit reg in H2C? Seriously, every match I go into, it's borderline impossible to get a clean 4-shot. It's like a simulated 400~ ping. 

On a somewhat related note, are there ways to block servers in MCC? 

3 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

My friends and I are most keen for Halo 2/3. I am keen for Halo 1 but my mates aren't sweaty enough for that.

I have nostalgia for all the OG Halo's. I love them all so much. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

On a more contemporary note, anyone else getting atrocious hit reg in H2C? Seriously, every match I go into, it's borderline impossible to get a clean 4-shot. It's like a simulated 400~ ping. 

On a somewhat related note, are there ways to block servers in MCC? 

Not unless you do something regarding your isp

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

My friends and I are most keen for Halo 2/3. I am keen for Halo 1 but my mates aren't sweaty enough for that.

I have nostalgia for all the OG Halo's. I love them all so much. 

As much as I love all the OGs - I've been most excited for H2A and H4 weirdly enough. They are the games I felt always played best on MCC. The rest are poor ports but Halo 4 is actually much much better. 

I'm still going to play Halo1 the most though.

15 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

As much as I love all the OGs - I've been most excited for H2A and H4 weirdly enough. They are the games I felt always played best on MCC. The rest are poor ports but Halo 4 is actually much much better. 

I'm still going to play Halo1 the most though.

Other than Action Sack I just can't Halo 4. It feels cripplingly generic.

H2A has so much magnetism it makes me cringe. It SHOULD be the best in the series but the magnetism makes me want to dead.

• Like (+1) 3

Big dick reminder that H2A literally functions like every other Halo, magnetism-wise up to Halo 4, lol. There's nothing different about it that should be making you offput if you play any other game before it. 

Bigger dick reminder that H2C allows you to white reticle four shot a kid while aiming at the dick but H2A will not. 

If magnetism is ever your complaint on a Halo game, this series is fucking not for you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Why do Reach kids insist on telling people who this series is for?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 2