CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

As for vehicles, I'd be open to the idea of limited ammo. Maybe give the vehicle a self destruct option so that the driver can put it on respawn if he uses all the ammo. Like holding whatever button starts a 5 second countdown. Hell, you could even have him eject, maybe drop the countdown time a little, and ghost-ride that thing at an enemy and watch it blow up next to him.

I'm just going to throw out a hypothetical, I would still prefer normal overshield I think but I'm curious if others think this idea is better than hardlight shield or just as bad.

What if hardlight shield had a degrading time even when not in use. Let's say when you pick it up, you get sixty seconds with it in your inventory. If you pull it out and don't get hit, the time degrades as normal, if you pull it out and take damage then the time depletes faster. So you get no advantage if somebody is shooting you in the back because you would have to turn around and pull it out. It's pretty much a nerfed overshield but you can't do damage while it's out. For the last hit of the shield though, you won't take damage. So a rocket would take out the hardlight shield, but not damage the person behind it.

I don't like that you can't do damage, I don't like that it's pretty much a garbage overshield. Maybe it's a little better than a normal hardlight shield though? Another variation would be that there is bleedthrough, so a rocket could potentially takeout the hardlight shield and player behind it. I'm curious what you guys think.

I feel like the hardlight Shield should be able to absorb an unlimited amount of damage with the limiting factor being the time it can be deployed before draining all its “fuel”. Otherwise it’s just an Overshield that you have to manually deploy, takes away your ability to shoot, and only protects your front.

I don’t agree with bleedthrough on the Hardlight shield either. If you have one second left on it and get hit with a tank round it should still protect you. My reasoning for this is that it has a limited duration, a limited protection vector, and the player has to manually time its deployment.

If you don’t like that you can’t deal damage with the hardlight shield out, you could always change it to act similar to a one way shield door. You keep your weapon out and you can shoot through it but it still blocks incoming shots.

Anything that makes vehicles less AIDS is something I can get behind lmao. I swear are we really gonna ignore the fact that a tank has unlimited ammo and a million health, but a fucking forward facing shield is just TOO far? Come on

It's Halo. Deal with it.

I'm just going to throw out a hypothetical, I would still prefer normal overshield I think but I'm curious if others think this idea is better than hardlight shield or just as bad.

What if hardlight shield had a degrading time even when not in use. Let's say when you pick it up, you get sixty seconds with it in your inventory. If you pull it out and don't get hit, the time degrades as normal, if you pull it out and take damage then the time depletes faster. So you get no advantage if somebody is shooting you in the back because you would have to turn around and pull it out. It's pretty much a nerfed overshield but you can't do damage while it's out. For the last hit of the shield though, you won't take damage. So a rocket would take out the hardlight shield, but not damage the person behind it.

I don't like that you can't do damage, I don't like that it's pretty much a garbage overshield. Maybe it's a little better than a normal hardlight shield though? Another variation would be that there is bleedthrough, so a rocket could potentially takeout the hardlight shield and player behind it. I'm curious what you guys think.

Just as bad. It's still a press-X-to-not-die button.

I played a lot of UT3, and the hoverboard was honestly pretty fun, and everyone had it. It was SUPER risky to use though, because if you got shot while using it, you got knocked off and almost always died as a result. As a piece of BTB equipment, I don't think it'd be horrible, but I think it would need some similar risk/reward like UT3 had. Imagine someone pulling flag and hoverboarding off with it and not being able to knock him off the board...that'd be awful. But I like where your head is at with the unique routes only available via certain means. I think theres potential for that in Halo, whether it be boost jumping, nade jumping, vehicles or hoverboards.

Trip mine can fuck off. We can do better than that for vehicle counters. Proximity mines have no place in shooters.

I actually like the hologram idea. I think if they retained the direction you're moving when you deploy it, they'd be a lot more convincing. If I had rockets in camo room on chill out and someone strafed through the door, that would get me to waste a rocket almost every time. I think that's a way better counter to rockets than a fucking hardlight shield, which is just annoying. Deployable Cover is a much better implementation of the same idea.

But if you really want to balance assyms, just don't spawn anything until the 30 second mark, and don't spawn power items until the 1 minute mark. The opening break is the only unfair part of asymms. If you lose the good side of the map after a minute, you deserve what you have.

Unlike UT3, I wouldn’t allow Hoverboard (or any equipment use for that matter) while carrying the flag.

My main reason for disliking deployable cover is that it can be used to block paths by dropping it in front of doorways and such. While you could potentially do the same with hardlight shield at least you would have to stand there and hold it plus it has a limited duration.

And I know it sounds silly but I could see some possible strategies that involve a player with hardlight shield crouching and looking up to create a little ramp for a ghost to ride off of. Maybe there is no natural pathway for the ghost to ride up normally and the cooperation of a teammate with the right Equipment is the only way for the ghost to get up there.

Trip mine can fuck off. We can do better than that for vehicle counters. Proximity mines have no place in shooters.

Goldeneye says different

:kappa:

Anything that makes vehicles less AIDS is something I can get behind lmao. I swear are we really gonna ignore the fact that a tank has unlimited ammo and a million health, but a fucking forward facing shield is just TOO far? Come on

How about instead of adding another game-breaking gimmick, we fix what's actually broken. The vehicles are ridiculous, but they weren't that way originally. Give players a precision utility weapon and have the driver of the vehicles exposed and you solve the problem.

How about instead of adding another game-breaking gimmick, we fix what's actually broken. The vehicles are ridiculous, but they weren't that way originally. Give players a precision utility weapon and have the driver of the vehicles exposed and you solve the problem.

The issue I have is using "it's part of the game" or "it's always been like this" as an excuse for shit. Like if te roles were reversed people would be arguing the same logic for the opposite thing. If hard light shields were in from the beginning and then some dude goes "bro what if we had an unlimited ammo super health fucking TANK bro" people would act the same way. Instead of analyzing things even if they're "just part of the game bro" people just defend shit and argue against other things that might not be good, but sure as hell aren't SOOOO much worse than half the shit in the game now.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

As for vehicles, I'd be open to the idea of limited ammo. Maybe give the vehicle a self destruct option so that the driver can put it on respawn if he uses all the ammo. Like holding whatever button starts a 5 second countdown. Hell, you could even have him eject, maybe drop the countdown time a little, and ghost-ride that thing at an enemy and watch it blow up next to him.

I like the recharging ammo that Battlefield introduced in BF4. It's still technically unlimited but makes people be more careful with their shots so they don't temporarily run out and get overwhelmed.

I don't think vehicles should go, but they really need to be made less brainless. As with everything in Halo, vehicles have become gradually easier over the years,let's reverse that.

Halo's gameplay needs to be optimized first before we start thinking about reinventing trash like hardlight shields.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The difference between Speedboost and hoverboard would be that the hoverboard is always moving forward, you just turn left and right whereas with Speedboost you can stop and strafe.

My main problem with hoverboard is really that there are already a multitude of ways to get around the map more quickly.  I would rather see those thing added as static map elements or vehicles.  A hoverboard that you keep in your back pocket and deploy is basically the same thing as having an invisible mongoose.  But way way way tackier.

For items like the hardlight shield, i dont really like the idea.  It was cheesy af in Halo 4. But it could be fine as long as its implemented correctly. These things would need to be added as map items.  being able to spawn with anything other than the same starting weapons as everybody else is a non-starter.

My main problem with hoverboard is really that there are already a multitude of ways to get around the map more quickly. I would rather see those thing added as static map elements or vehicles. A hoverboard that you keep in your back pocket and deploy is basically the same thing as having an invisible mongoose. But way way way tackier.

For items like the hardlight shield, i dont really like the idea. It was cheesy af in Halo 4. But it could be fine as long as its implemented correctly. These things would need to be added as map items. being able to spawn with anything other than the same starting weapons as everybody else is a non-starter.

Jetpack

Direction: unidirectional vertical

Relative speed: slow

Duration: medium

Thruster

Direction: omnidirectional horizontal

Relative speed: fast

Duration: short

Hoverboard

Direction: unidirectional horizontal

Relative speed: medium

Duration: long

I feel like these three Equipment each enhance mobility in their own unique way. Jetpack takes you up, Thruster quickly dodges, hoverboard takes you forward. I can’t really think of any other ways a player would need to move. We aren’t digging tunnels under the ground, running up walls, or thrusting vertically. Changing enhanced mobility from base traits to equipment pick ups reduces their frequency of use and makes them more desirable because it gives you the ability to move in ways that other players can’t.

Power Drain

-immediately activated upon deployment

-relatively large area of effect

-limited duration

Trip Mine

-not active until driven over

-relatively small area of effect

-unlimited duration

The Power Drain and the Trip Mine are like opposites of each other. One requires you to go to the vehicle while the other requires the vehicle to come to it. One constantly emits an area of effect while the other does nothing until driven over. One runs out of fuel while the other sits there indefinitely.

The Hardlight Shield doesn’t directly disrupt vehicles like the Power Drain and Trip Mine. Rather, it gives players the opportunity to move and approach vehicles without being immediately killed by these armored mobile turrets.

Hologram and Regen are used to assault positions of power. Like Hardway said, bait an enemy into wasting rockets on a Hologram who strafes into a doorway. Hologram is useful on the smaller arena maps while I picture Regen being used more by the attacking team in an asymmetrical Invasion type of game mode. The defenders have the superior position so the attackers are given Equipment that enhances their vitality.

That’s my take on Equipment. Enhance mobility, attack vehicles, and attack power positions.

If we're posting random ideas now, here's a thought I had lately as an alternative to damage boost that doesn't break the sandbox:

You know in Halo you universally cannot damage health through shields, while in CSGO every weapon has its own armor penetration value? How about we add a powerup, let's call it armor penetration for simplicity's sake that ups the armor penetration of weapons, therefore enabling headshot capable weapons to do bonus damage even to shielded players. Would obviously not affect the sniper outside of OS players. Cool or stupid?

If we're posting random ideas now, here's a thought I had lately as an alternative to damage boost that doesn't break the sandbox:

You know in Halo you universally cannot damage health through shields, while in CSGO every weapon has its own armor penetration value? How about we add a powerup, let's call it armor penetration for simplicity's sake that ups the armor penetration of weapons, therefore enabling headshot capable weapons to do bonus damage even to shielded players. Would obviously not affect the sniper outside of OS players. Cool or stupid?

Depends on if there is regenerating health or not. If health regenerates then partial damage (not killing your enemy) is pretty pointless. If health doesn’t regenerate then it could be worthwhile. But you would be removing some of the intuitiveness from gun battles. Shields popping show you can now be killed. Players dieing that still have shields might confuse people.

I just don’t really see the difference between a standard damage boost that damages shields faster vs a damage boost that bleeds through if they both turn a five shot kill weapon into a three shot kill weapon. I feel like the standard damage boost would be more intuitive if the end result is going to be the same anyway.

So what exactly are y’all talking about? Trying to invent ways to individual power people with advanced movement that doesn’t break the sandbox halo has established? I do like the fact you’re trying to make vehicles non brainless, but still. Unless you can simulate your ideas into one of the pc halo games then you have no real clue how it could work. Sure non unlimited ammo be great for vehicles although I think a heating down affect is what we need for everything. Now as for tanks, limited ammo? Hmm how much ammo, how long to reload, etc. questions like those are now needed.

P.S do not try to discuss at all how jetpack can work! If you do you are an idiot. I say this because every game I know that has had that stupid shit, has never once been enjoyed by majority of the communities and jetpack always ruined map control.

Reach,h4, cod AW-IW, fort nite(although they removed it, it was greatly hated by fans because of high ground vantage points.

P.S do not try to discuss at all how jetpack can work! If you do you are an idiot. I say this because every game I know that has had that stupid shit, has never once been enjoyed by majority of the communities and jetpack always ruined map control.

Reach,h4, cod AW-IW, fort nite(although they removed it, it was greatly hated by fans because of high ground vantage points.

idk Titanfall 2 is pretty good, with that game the thing I dislike is their primary selling point though; mechs. lol

I rarely ever saw anyone pick up the Jetpack in the Reach MLG playlist...

If it was such a huge advantage I feel like people would have been using it a lot more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Depends on if there is regenerating health or not. If health regenerates then partial damage (not killing your enemy) is pretty pointless. If health doesn’t regenerate then it could be worthwhile. But you would be removing some of the intuitiveness from gun battles. Shields popping show you can now be killed. Players dieing that still have shields might confuse people.

I agree with this.  One of the staples of Halo gameplay that i really love are the 2-part battles.  While shielded and while un-shielded, and how decisions change based on this distinction.  A weapon that can bypass shields would fuck with that line and I don't see the positive in it. 

But again, introducing a powerup like that would probably be ok as long as the devs have the restraint to not use it just because it exists.  If it sucks, just don't put it on the map and let forgers figure out what to do with it.  Halo is unique in this regard compared to games like CoD or Battlefield.  Its really the only game that can claim to "innovate" a shitton with each release, yet also keep the core mechanics and gameplay loops intact. Why they keep "innovating" regressing the game by fucking with the base mechanics and core gameplay loop i have no idea.

Its really the only game that can claim to "innovate" a shitton with each release, yet also keep the core mechanics and gameplay loops intact. Why they keep "innovating" regressing the game by fucking with the base mechanics and core gameplay loop i have no idea.

Agreed 100%. Innovation through more interesting weapons and powerups has been criminally underutilized throughout this franchise. Over 15+ years there have only been a handful of additions to the sandbox that didn't blow or were just reskins of what was already there. The fact that they made an entire new faction with at least 7 new weapons on none of them were actually interesting or new speaks volumes.

• Upvote (+1) 3