CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

It's so hilarious watching people argue for SMG starts in Halo.

In every casual tournament I ever played in, and that was A LOT, any game that was SMG starts was 10x worse for the losing team than BR starts could EVER hope to be.

I'm talking about scores of 50 - -1

Yes, literally sending enemy teams into the NEGATIVES they were getting thrashed so badly. Why? Because it's pretty much impossible to even move off your spawn on a map like Ascension or Zanzibar or even Lockout when you have an SMG capable of shooting 2 metres while your opponents are setup with multiple BR's and sniper rifles.

Even against awful players with BR starts they at least got a few kills thanks to H2's stupid amounts of auto-aim.

Imagine being new to the game and coming across a bunch of smurf accounts while you're only level 3 or something. Your introduction to the game is getting spawn killed 30 times in a single game. Yup, sure that player will continue playing the game with that sort of experience.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There's seriously a ton of people who like AR starts.

You guys are delusional if you think 343 is just going to completely cater to the competitive community. Other people exist.

As much as I fucking hate AR/SMG there are people who legitimately want it. Denying the option completely will just cause bad blood in the community.

Just avoid the TS playlist. We have no reason to play it. Honestly to me this is a good thing because anyone who hates AR starts is going to be more likely to play one of the hardcore playlists just to guarantee they get a BR. This could help grow our community more than forcing BR starts on casuals.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Whyyyyyyy

Protect them with skill/party matching, but stop making concessions about what the game is.

The irony is perfect. They refuse to add skill and party matching, which makes the game unplayable for the majority of the population. But hey, let's add a completely new batch of objectively inferior game settings to cater to the few braindead scrubs at the bottom of the barrel. I sometimes think common sense must be a reason for immediate termination over there at 343, because how do you explain this shit otherwise?

Have a friend who I use to play a ton of halo with who actually liked SMG/AR starts. When I asked him about it he said that he actually likes when the BR acts as mini power weapon of sorts. Blows my mind but apparently some people prefer to spawn with a shitty weapon so that when they pick up the weapon everyone should just have by default they become a powerhouse that can shit all over people spawning with that shitty weapon.

This strikes a nerve. I had people who would give out a loud "sigh" when DMR starts came up in Reach. Granted bloom was cancer, but why on earth would you LIKE to start with a shitty automatic and nothing else? Hell, you still get your precious AR in BR/DMR starts, so what's the problem?

Not sure why anyone here would want to play that social playlist anyways as it's going to be a multi-game playlist with no voting option. AR/SMG starts are just another reason to avoid it. What matters is that the ranked playlists for Halo 2 and Halo 3(and H3 social BTB) will all be BR start, from what I've read.

Let's just hope this is actually true. They have broken two huge promises so far (no more crossgame playlists, no more SMG/AR starts) and the update isn't even out yet . I wouldn't be surprised if they "accidentally" throw this shit into ranked and then "forget" to take it out.

You guys are delusional if you think 343 is just going to completely cater to the competitive community. Other people exist.

As much as I fucking hate AR/SMG there are people who legitimately want it. Denying the option completely will just cause bad blood in the community.

Just avoid the TS playlist. We have no reason to play it. Honestly to me this is a good thing because anyone who hates AR starts is going to be more likely to play one of the hardcore playlists just to guarantee they get a BR. This could help grow our community more than forcing BR starts on casuals.

AR starts are at least slightly tolerable, but SMG starts make me literally QTB instantly. And if they actually are limited to that cancerous TS playlist, I'm actually fine with it, but yeah as stated above I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe this is 343's way of damage control to make sure the population isn't funneled into the TS playlist: they just make it even more awful with SMG starts. They're really always ten steps ahead of us /s

This postums guy went from a 8/10 to a 2/10 real quick with the new playlist update and now this fiasco.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It pleases me a lot seeing activity in this thread.

Seeing it's about SMG starts makes me sad though.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lol they locked the thread

Nice to see Waypoint is still a shithole run by power-hungry mods like snickerdoodle. Says a lot about 343 when you can't have any sort of discussion on their official forums without getting censored huh?

Also this comment sums up the people who like SMG starts perfectly:

Idc about ar starts, they fun. Relax, yall so serious

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The problem with catering to casuals in a situation like this is that they have literally not once ever thought objectively about what makes the game good and why they like it.  Because of that they misappropriate cause and effect.

Whenever this comes up the arguments usually lean toward why they DON'T like BR/Mag starts, more than why they like AR starts. 

"BR starts make the game too sweaty" - attitude and skill matching problem, not weapon problem

"BR starts turn it into a one gun game" - You mean you like to IMMEDIATELY have to 'hide and hunt' for a BR instead of getting right to work otherwise you'll get lasered all game? what about sniper/rockets/carbine/PP etc.  that shit is still on the map, go for it.

And the reason that nobody wants to bring up - "I can't aim a precision weapon" - Again, this isn't a weapon problem, its a skill matching problem.

If they want to make a change... make it BR and AR/SMG starts. If people want their AR switch to it and see what happens.

And here is the thing, if they wanted to make this be the case for the social slayer playlists for each individual game... fine. I still think its stupid, but whatever let the casual players have their placebo.  BUT THEY ARE MAKING IT THE CASE IN THE GAMES ONLY CROSS GAME PLAYLIST!! and there is no "Veto for BR" option.  That cross game playlist is going to suck the population out of the other playlists, no matter what the settings are and it shouldn't even be a thing.  If they ever introduce some semblance of ranked matchmaking into the game, finding good matches in any other playlist will be a fools errand.  We'll be forced to play the cross game slayer only playlist just to get decent games quickly, it will be a bad experience and the population will nosedive, then we'll be in the same place that retail MCC is in right now, just with less bugs.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why do you guys care?

I found games in the H1 playlist in retail no problem and that's the least populated playlist. And insider search times have been fine despite limited population.

Nubs will never not play AR starts. It's like telling people to stop playing grifball or infection. I am not surprised at all that AR starts are in social. Where did postums say it will always be BR starts no matter what playlist?

Stick to hardcore, btb and H1. Problem solved.

• Upvote (+1) 5

This situation with Postums failing to kill cross game playlists and SMG starts after saying they would deliver on both of these things is representative of the relationship we've always had with Halo devs. Inspire hope, then under-deliver.

Would be surprised if the post-update population boost lasts for more than 2 months, let alone a post-update population increase happening at all.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does anyone have the H3 mlg gametypes in their fileshare on mcc insider please? Or is it even possible to have them there?

Played all the needed maps/gametypes in matchmaking so far but only heretic/narrows has appeared in my recent played maps to save them.

This situation with Postums failing to kill cross game playlists and SMG starts after saying they would deliver on both of these things is representative of the relationship we've always had with Halo devs. Inspire hope, then under-deliver.

Would be surprised if the post-update population boost lasts for more than 2 months, let alone a post-update population increase happening at all.

There will definitely be a population boost since after the re-release its going to be in xbox game pass.  That might be part of where the pressure is coming from.  Lots of new blood will be playing, so they want to start them with the easier weapons.

Like I said earlier, if they wanted to make the Social Slayer playlist for each individual game have a mix of AR and BR starts, and limit the number of rifles on map when it is AR starts, fine.  I'm cool with that because i do understand that nostalgia counts for something sometimes.  But by making the MAIN PRIMARY "PLAY ME PLAY ME!!!" cross-game playlist work that way, especially without reducing rifles on map, is just asinine.  Its deferring to nostalgia in a way that long-term is going to be bad for the game and send the wrong message to the players.  That cross game playlist shouldn't exist in the first place, nevermind be structured the way it is going to be.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I personally don't care if AR/SMG starts are in social playlists, I agree with the others that say you need to chill on that. That being said if they went away I'd shed no tears either. Keep in mind that by actively attacking anyone who thinks opposite of you, you're trying to censor different opinions in your own way.

Also I just won my first match in MCC testing that was actually a fair match and was not 50-10. So yay?

Also can I just say holy shit I can not believe that I'm feeling like H3's hit detection is good. Ever since the 360 I've hated it but it feels...actually good now online. what magic is this.

is there ranked match making in mcc h3 insider right now? cuz i'm playing like ass and I want to play with others who play like ass.

is there ranked match making in mcc h3 insider right now? cuz i'm playing like ass and I want to play with others who play like ass.

Nah. I'd say something like 90% of all matches I've played have been something like 50-10. There's no way to get around it.

Br for ranked and AR/SMG the primary and BR secondary for social like Apollo stated. Win win. I don't give a fuck. Call me a pussy, quitter, asshole, whatever the fuck. If I'm playing any playlist and I get a shitty map with AR/SMG only starts I'm quitting out. If I have a BR then I will stay regardless if its a trash map. I'm completely okay with forcing BR starts this time around because the gaming climate is different in this day and age. This isn't 10 years ago when esports was just getting off the ground. Esports is huge, still growing, and people want MP games to be competitive. The biggest MP games ARE the biggest esports and its because most people love competition even if they say otherwise. It's human nature to be competitive and want to win. Yeah, little Jimmy might cry because he's getting slapped around by me every game, but he can get better. He will get better unless we keep throwing training wheels on it for him. Two noobs with a BR stand more of a chance against me than four noobs with SMG/ARs. I'm 100% confident they will have a better time with BR's. CE is the Holy Grail of Halo and it's starting weapons are Pistol/AR across the board. Why can't an auto primary and precision secondary just be the standard for every title going forward?

There are a lot more people who want to be competitors than there are "casuals" now. The competitors are the ones who are going to stay and play and they're going to get their "casual" friends into competitive and this is what's going to make sure MCC retains a good sized population.

Time and time again I say what will happen with Halo. I get called a ****** or have paragraphs thrown at me for how wrong I am. Then it happens and everyone is losing their shit because Halo is yet again in a shitty place. In 6 months when MCC is dead again I don't want to hear shit from nobody. Any time 343 has shifted a focus onto competitive it's been half-assed and their only solution is to throw more money at it instead of improving it.

No AR/SMG only starts. No cross-game playlist. Settle for nothing less.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Isn't there supposed to be a customs browser with this update?

No. They plan on adding one in the future when they update to game further. This isn't the only update.

I might've posted this before, but what are your guys thoughts on renting servers like in Battlefield 4? How it worked was you could pay a monthly fee to rent your own custom server and essentially create your own playlist with various maps and game modes. Say if I wanted to do a rotation of Middy and Lockout FFA's in H2 you could do that and it would just keep rotating those game types without you having to start a new lobby every time.

I think this would be cool when/if they add the custom games browser.

Endless H3 infection lobbies :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 3