CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Any CE dudes mind telling me their opinion on how crouch walking works in the game? From what I can tell the crouch walk speed is so fast that the game automatically knocks you out of crouch, forcing you to manually walk slower.

Fan of that or nah?

I dont care either way.

Any CE dudes mind telling me their opinion on how crouch walking works in the game? From what I can tell the crouch walk speed is so fast that the game automatically knocks you out of crouch, forcing you to manually walk slower.

Fan of that or nah?

I think the way radar works in general in H1 is a shame, to include crouch walking. In the right settings it won't matter bc it's turned off, but sometimes I'll want to do it and I'm definitely not a fan of the way it works in this game. It's one of those things, like jump delay, that you can get used to but it just makes the game feel clunky to people coming from other games.

I think the way radar works in general in H1 is a shame, to include crouch walking. In the right settings it won't matter bc it's turned off, but sometimes I'll want to do it and I'm definitely not a fan of the way it works in this game. It's one of those things, like jump delay, that you can get used to but it just makes the game feel clunky to people coming from other games.

What is wrong with it?

What is wrong with it?

When you crouch and try to walk at full tilt, it uncrouches you. You have to crouchwalk at half tilt, which is slower than hell, unintuitive, and just feels bad compared to other Halo games. I think it adds nothing to the gameplay and only serves to make players wince that have come from newer titles. It's a needless barrier to entry.

Radar in general is just unfortunate in H1. It's radius is crazy big, and even if you do crouchwalk, you still show on radar. There's literally no way to move without showing on your opponent's gigantic radar.

Thank you guys for the videos and getting in touch. You're good people and this competitive community has always been my home for halo since MLG (and the halo council) evaporated. <3

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ran into multiple host-booters while playing Team Hardcore today, if anyone's wondering what kind of state it's in.

Apparently players still care what friends think about their rank

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with hardway. i don't like how you show up on radar when you spawn and that the radar is huge af. 

@@Moa I don't particularly like how your forced to just slightly tilt your stick. What i hate the most is that when you throw a grenade when crouched, your character's hitbox (not visual model) stands up. so if you're crouched behind like a small object, and some guy is just waiting for you to poke your head out, you can't throw any nade or your opponents reticule will turn red. Your hitbox extends for a significantly long period so they can react to the red. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I re-upped my live account the other day and been playin the H1 doubles list on MCC. Even when searching with friends we keep running into the best players to ever play on their alt tags lol, it's a nightmare. Someone needs to give me lessons for this game cause I only ever got good at h2. Btw, I gave microsoft money again and signed up for the mcc flight program because I read they were going to put some halo custom edition maps into mcc. I can dig that type of community outreach.

GT: RVG E Nomini

Add me if you want to school me on h1.

I'll add you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or how you can’t crouch until after your throw animation. I can’t tell you how many times that’s fucked me in shotgun room on Chill Out.

I thought the whole purpose of turning on radar was to reduce the chaos that FFA generates. I don't see how the larger size and inability to crouch to avoid it conflict with that need.

Really the only thing that could stand to be improved in ce is the player movement. It just needs to be a little crisper and faster.

Really the only thing that could stand to be improved in ce is the player movement. It just needs to be a little crisper and faster.

All spartan animations could also use some work. I laugh my ass off every time someone is walking and throws a grenade tbh.

I thought the whole purpose of turning on radar was to reduce the chaos that FFA generates. I don't see how the larger size and inability to crouch to avoid it conflict with that need.

It’s not so bad on Derelict, but in more segmented maps maps like Chill Out and Dammy it really hurts, if you ever want to run FFAs on other maps (like an FFA playlist would). Having a radar that covers half the map and makes it impossible to move without showing on it makes for a dumb experience when it doesn’t have to be. Also, if they turn it on for team games, it’s way more intrusive than it is in other Halos. I think the 4v4 playlist had it on and it was so much worse than it would be with H2/3 radar.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I've honestly never really liked radar for FFA that much, especially on a map like Midship. *puts up flame shield* Or any of those large outer ring-maps like Zealot or Haven.

I feel like you can't move at all. It changes the way people play (including yourself). Take it off, and people just play the game. If you enjoy constantly getting grenaded around every corner and dying continually and never being able to spawn or even move around safely, then yeah, it's for you. Ain't for me. The occasional sick montage clips you get doesn't quite tip the scale for me in favor of it.

I'll play it, but it's not my preference.

• Upvote (+1) 6

this guy knows whats up with mcc. his last 3 videos have hit the nail on the head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQVhWPij1o

tbh he does t know what he’s talking about when it comes to MCC.

He knows what he’s talking about in halo period! Halo is terrible without party matching and skilled based ranking matching you against levels close to yours. Fair games are more skilled based and more fun. H3 one of the best halo games but why? Because it’s ranking system was perfect. Ok it wasn’t perfect because a level 50 could boost their friend but that’s not a huge deal in my eyes. If mr level 1 teamed up with his bro who’s 50, he wouldn’t match levels 1-10 no it be levels 41-50.

I've honestly never really liked radar for FFA that much, especially on a map like Midship. *puts up flame shield* Or any of those large outer ring-maps like Zealot or Haven.

I feel like you can't move at all. It changes the way people play (including yourself). Take it off, and people just play the game. If you enjoy constantly getting grenaded around every corner and dying continually and never being able to spawn or even move around safely, then yeah, it's for you. Ain't for me. The occasional sick montage clips you get doesn't quite tip the scale for me in favor of it.

I'll play it, but it's not my preference.

Radar in FFA has ALWAYS been trash. I've had way more enjoyable and skillful experiences with that shit turned off...

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Radar in FFA has ALWAYS been trash. I've had way more enjoyable and skillful experiences with that shit turned off...

Idk at some point you sort of need it otherwise someone just spawns under your base or right behind you while you're making another play that's actually been informed by information you can see/hear and you die even though 7/10 times what you did was the right thing. The whole Midship blue/red 1/2 spawn decision tree would be super random a lot of the time without a radar

• Upvote (+1) 1

Loving how we're back to square one. Halo 5 came out over 2 years ago, and it's time address MCC again. It's time to address party matching, skill matching, and dedicated servers. It's time to address Halo's (long-running) problems again, that are all still present in Halo 4 and 5 that were ignored because of Spartan Abilities and Warzone and other garbage, and keep the games feeling obsolete despite all their 'additions'. It's time to actually modernize Halo and bring it back to the forefront of gaming, and it all needed to start with MCC for obvious reasons.

Once you give the best Halo games all the things a modern game should truly have, there's really nowhere to improve from there. It's Halo at its best.

I've said this a lot now, but I pray 343 is learning something from all this.

• Downvote (-1) 1

It’s not so bad on Derelict, but in more segmented maps maps like Chill Out and Dammy it really hurts, if you ever want to run FFAs on other maps (like an FFA playlist would). Having a radar that covers half the map and makes it impossible to move without showing on it makes for a dumb experience when it doesn’t have to be. 

I don't see how having a smaller radius for the radar would offer much improvement for FFA on Chill out or damnation. You would still be able to detect people in other rooms and the situations would still devolve into standoffs between the entrances to the smaller rooms. It sounds like the real solution to segmented maps like that is to just turn off radar. 

Also, if they turn it on for team games, it’s way more intrusive than it is in other Halos.

I don't understand your point with this one. I think we agree that radar should be off for team games, correct? If so, why does it matter how radar works for this format when it goes unused?

I think the 4v4 playlist had it on and it was so much worse than it would be with H2/3 radar.

The 4v4 Halo 1 playlist did not have radar on.

I don't see how having a smaller radius for the radar would offer much improvement for FFA on Chill out or damnation. You would still be able to detect people in other rooms and the situations would still devolve into standoffs between the entrances to the smaller rooms. It sounds like the real solution to segmented maps like that is to just turn off radar. .

I guess this depends on how you feel about FFA in halo 2 and 3. I don’t think they devolved into that very often. Smaller radar with option to crouchwalk seems like the right balance between freedom of movement and chaos reduction to me.

And no, of course I don’t want radar on in team games. But I don’t make the settings in matchmaking, and a lot of times they turn it on.