CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Fair enough.  I just really enjoy alt tabbing out between games and browsing dank memes.  Feels like I get more out of my time when I use my PC over all my other consoles. 

I've just very recently taken that up. I took an old 21' monitor from years ago just to keep twitch open while I'm playing whatever on the PC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

PC has no games?

Counter Strike

League of Legends

DOTA 2

The 3 biggest fucking games in eSport are PC exclusive! 

Rainbow 6 Siege. Its a pretty popular game. It had official tournaments for Xbox/PS4/PC.

ubisoft no longer run tournaments for Xbox or PS4. Its all PC bro.

• Upvote (+1) 1

PC has no games?

Counter Strike

League of Legends

DOTA 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5e_olJun88

The 3 biggest fucking games in eSport are PC exclusive!

Rainbow 6 Siege. Its a pretty popular game. It had official tournaments for Xbox/PS4/PC.

ubisoft no longer run tournaments for Xbox or PS4. Its all PC bro.

Yea but those games aren't real bruh

List of pros and cons                                                                                                

The critical thing that is misleading from that list is the fact that all of those items are not equally important. There are really only a few things that the vast majority of people care about; the games they want to play and how much it costs them (both in time and money) to play those games. In terms of your list, the pros and cons are not all equally weighted. Sure, a lot of the benefits on PC side are great, but they are not automatically included when you buy a PC. 

Can you have a 1000+ FPS, multi-monitor, upgrade-able, master-blaster audio surround system beast and play games at blazing fast speeds? Sure, but at what point are we reaching diminishing returns here? Do I want my games to have the "best" graphics? Yeah, but personally my desire for the "best" graphics doesn't trump my desire to not spend time and money upgrading my hardware and software every year or so. My experience with PC gaming is that it's not as simple as the PC Master Race makes it sound; almost every new game requires some different software update or upgrade or some setting to be tweaked or adjusted. Yeah, if you're immersed in PC gaming that's not really much of a problem, but if I'm dealing with my PC at work every day, the last thing I want to do is come home, plop down to play a game and then be hit with failed launches and 30 minutes of update to some obscure component that might or might not work. 

The fact is that the PC, while a superior piece of hardware, is more expensive and more time consuming. Those are big issues and for a lot of people, myself included, the benefits simply aren't great enough to overcome that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My experience with PC gaming is that it's not as simple as the PC Master Race makes it sound; almost every new game requires some different software update or upgrade or some setting to be tweaked or adjusted. Yeah, if you're immersed in PC gaming that's not really much of a problem, but if I'm dealing with my PC at work every day, the last thing I want to do is come home, plop down to play a game and then be hit with failed launches and 30 minutes of update to some obscure component that might or might not work. 

Your PC gaming experience seems outdated then.  My drivers update themselves whenever they are ready.   Just like the consoles update themselves. I haven't had games crash on start in forever.  BF4 is the last game I remember having launch problems.  (That's not PC gaming to blame.) Do hardware components go out?  Sure, if you buy cheap hardware or abuse it.  I've had two different PCs over the last 7 years.  I've never really had hardware problems except a second GPU that I bought and tried to SLI. The GPU was defective on arrival. But you bring up another pro to PC gaming.  If one component goes out, your rig isn't bricked like a console would be. PSU goes out?  Go buy another one for $50. I actually have a smoother experience on my PC than I do on my Xbone. Seems like eveytime I boot my Xbone the dashboard is different and there is some huge useless update that takes 30 minutes to download. That shit never happens on my PC. My games are auto updated over night. I just come home, sit down, and enjoy a superior experience in every way from my point of view.  Completely worth every penny over all my consoles. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Your PC gaming experience seems outdated then.  My drivers update themselves whenever they are ready.   Just like the consoles update themselves. I haven't had games crash on start in forever.  BF4 is the last game I remember having launch problems.  (That's not PC gaming to blame.) Do hardware components go out?  Sure, if you buy cheap hardware or abuse it.  I've had two different PCs over the last 7 years.  I've never really had hardware problems except a second GPU that I bought and tried to SLI. The GPU was defective on arrival. But you bring up another pro to PC gaming.  If one component goes out, your rig isn't bricked like a console would be. PSU goes out?  Go buy another one for $50. I actually have a smoother experience on my PC than I do on my Xbone. Seems like eveytime I boot my Xbone the dashboard is different and there is some huge useless update that takes 30 minutes to download. That shit never happens on my PC. My games are auto updated over night. I just come home, sit down, and enjoy a superior experience in every way from my point of view.  Completely worth every penny over all my consoles. 

I've had a couple games that wouldn't even launch for me. Even after getting Dev support for Forge (indie title) I never got a refund or was able to play. Really put the icing on the cake for me that it became F2P later on. Though that was 2012.

Just a couple of years ago I had to upgrade my mobo and CPU after finding out that my mobo was incompatible (DP67BG) with my newly purchased r9 390. Set me back another $300 or so dollars to a mediocre upgrade (2500k to 6600) just so I could get back to gaming. Probably my fault for selling my r9 290 so quickly, but I was trying to offset the cost of buying a new GPU.

Just recently pretty much wasted all of Christmas day troubleshooting a buddy's newly acquired computer that we were piecing together. Never ever really figured out what was wrong either. We assembled it, booted it up, nothing. Unplugged and replugged everything. Made sure the CPU was seated properly, still nothing. Ran through google for hours looking for similar instances, couldn't really come up with anything. Thought it might be the GPU so we swapped it with our other buddies old one. It boots up, but we can't get it out of a ridiculously low resolution. Download drivers, reboot, won't turn on again. Unseat everything again, reseat everything. Boots up finally, in correct resolutions, we even shut it down and even install the new GPU he bought and its worked fine ever since. 

While PC gaming is sunshine and daisies most of the time, when its not it can be a real pain.

KICKOFF in Spring? I'm glad we're finally getting a patch and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but seriously, why the hell are we still waiting? This patch should've come out 3 years ago. What has 343 been doing for 3+ years?

Debating if they would actually touch the game or not. I doubt they have spent very much time trying to fix the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

While PC gaming is sunshine and daisies most of the time, when its not it can be a real pain.

Let me leave this little anecdote here. 

About a month ago, my living room Xbox One S reset itself. All of my apps lost the passwords and I had to re-add my xbox live accounts. The apps and games were still installed but I had to set everything back up. Device control, sound settings, you name it.  Ever since then I have not been able to add or remove pins from "my pins."  On the home page where "my pins" should show up it says "Your pins aren't available. Sorry about that. They should be back soon."

Last night I reached out to xbox support about the issue after trying various fixes around the internet.  I spent two hours with the first technician trying to resolve the issue.  Slowly working with the person only to finally get to the last step which was them telling me to do a full factory reset, remove all game and apps and data. So I did it, reformatted. After, I installed Cuphead on fresh image and I still could not pin a game or app. Only now, the "My pins" gave me the massage "You don't have any pins. Pin some games or apps to see them here." 

At this point I was conveniently disconnected from the first xbox support representative. So I reconnected to a new person and explained what happened and they wanted to back through all the steps. I tried to explain that there was not much more a person could do beyond completely reformatting the xbox. They finally were convinced and started to say that the xbox needs to be sent in to be checked.  At this point I was going through the settings on my xbox and I saw the setting about "make this xbox my home xbox." So I did that thinking maybe that would fix it. It did not fix anything, but it gave me the idea to check and see if I have the same problem on my other "Halo box". Sure enough that box had the same issue. Can't add or remove pins. Can't get them to show up on the home page.  

So at this point I am thinking this cannot be a hardware problem. It has to be an issue with my account. So I start to explain that to the technician. The tech does not understand and just keeps saying that the xbox needs to be sent in to be checked. So I ask if they are going to have me send in both boxes, one being an OG box and one being one S.  At this point I get disconnected from the second support representative and I am just done.  I'm sitting here with a freshly formatted Xbox One S with no games or apps on it.  I start to look through the games in my library and see which one I should install and I quickly realize there are literally no games on my xbox that I want to install.  Halo 5 is garbage and I can play Halo Jaun on PC, So I don't need MCC for that. So I have two xboxes that literally serve no purpose further than media apps like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and Amazon and 4k Blu Ray playback.  This whole experience made me just want to sell both boxes and go buy a switch.  

tl:dr 

Xbox support is so horrendous that it made me realize I really hate the console and there are no games exclusive to the console that make me want to invest further in it. 

edit: 

LOL

Now I need support to get support. What a fucking joke.

tftoy29.jpg

tl;dr My Xbox One has served one purpose of late and that's to be a media box for my living room. Yet it can barely do that well without it's annoyances. Far more annoying than any issue I have ever experienced with my PCs.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Let me leave this little anecdote here. 

tl;dr My Xbox One has served one purpose of late and that's to be a media box for my living room. Yet it can barely do that well without it's annoyances. Far more annoying than any issue I have ever experienced with my PCs.

I don't think I thought out that post very well.

I was remembering you posting about being as objective as possible in the subject. Telling someone that their experiences with PC gaming were "outdated" because of how your PC runs just doesn't seem very objective to me. For some reason I thought that me telling stories about my PC woes would show that there is issues with PC gaming. Which I don't even know where I was trying to go with that. I just posted it. I would say that both of our experiences are still in the (vast?) minority of experiences with both systems.

I could be wrong, but aren't most auto-updates handled by setting a time for your PC to auto-update? Otherwise I feel like you'd have to just leave whatever programs open for it to auto download.

Most people have a desktop pc and hundreds of millions of people use them at work all day. To suggest that PCs are difficult to use and game on is just ridiculous to me. If you don't know how to use one you are simply behind the times.

Pirating and streaming is or at least was (before companies wised up and offered streaming services) a massive problem for media companies and most apps and websites that enable pirating have no official support or anything, yet people figure that out just fine and are willing to put up with the struggles to do it.

And this narrative that PCs have way more issues to sort out than consoles is just bullshit in my opinion. Consoles have just as many problems these days, they are basically shitty PCs with a shitty locked down OS. Sure, there's less things for people to screw up but if you have something go wrong you're really limited in what you can do. Literally everyone here had technical and network issues with mcc for instance. And party chat breaks constantly. I lost count of how many times I had to restart mcc or my Xbox. Saying the xbone has no problems to worry about is ludicrous.

Also, someone earlier said PCs have 7 cords to plug in and yadda yadda. What? HDMI, power. That's it. A PC can have built in Bluetooth for the rest. What else is necessary? And the keyboard/mouse actually lets you input a million times faster during initial setup and just general use. Investing in a powerful pc is just a generally good idea for more productive purposes as well such as spreadsheet usage for budgets, taxes etc, video and photo editing, streaming sports and other TV with multiple feeds, word processing, the list goes on. Might as well just slap in a modest GPU vs buying an Xbox and paying a subscription fee.

Now if you have kids that need a separate unit because you use your pc a lot, that's a different story. Right now with the mining craze and RAM shortage it's definitely cheaper to go for a console, and some young kids are stupid and could mess up a pc.

• Upvote (+1) 3

KICKOFF in Spring? I'm glad we're finally getting a patch and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but seriously, why the hell are we still waiting? This patch should've come out 3 years ago. What has 343 been doing for 3+ years?

we already know they've done nothing for the past 3 years. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

tenor.gif

anigif_enhanced-20173-1461781116-2.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

Are you under the impression they've been working non-stop at MCC fixes for three years?

Lol that didn't even say anything. Quality control trumps any schedule. If only they held this mentality when it was released.

"We didn't see these issues in testing" though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's been easier making friends on console. That's why I play it still.

all the friendships I've made have been with people who played PC. Oddly enough I played console for a long time while this was happening.

Are you under the impression they've been working non-stop at MCC fixes for three years?

I mean, I know they haven't. But I figured when they initially announced this last year, that they had already made decent headway on it and it would be out the first of the year at the latest. FeelsBadMan

They stated quite clearly in the original announcement that testing would begin in the spring.  

They stated quite clearly in the original announcement that testing would begin in the spring.  

I kept hearing "a patch coming out early next year", and not any definitive dates or them saying Spring until a little later when they clarified...

But if I am wrong, I guess I gotta stop getting info from the public/forums and go straight to the source.

Wait, are people actually surprised that this mysterious "patch" 343 has mentioned in the past is incredibly vague and coming "soon?"

• Upvote (+1) 4

Wait, are people actually surprised that this mysterious "patch" 343 has mentioned in the past is incredibly vague and coming "soon?"

466b665925bd92ce6108bb92f7f2a607aca0ba6b

• Upvote (+1) 2