CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I mean, a TDM variant isn't a bad gamemode if there are ways to keep the play from stalling. The problem is, we haven't had many solid ways to stop that from happening in H5 and some other Halos.

This is the answer. 

Anyway, Franklez bringing the lulz again. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is the answer. 

Anyway, Franklez bringing the lulz again. 

I think it's a legit point of discussion. We have powerups and power weapons that attempt to keep the play moving, but the problem tends to be Spartan abilities that cause the match to snowball or turn into a stall until one of the above spawn, then a bumrush to them.

I don't mind the idea of reevaluating Slayer and its purpose in the competitive scene. However the current argument for its removal just isn't enough justification for me.

If definitely shouldn't be used as a "use on any map" gametype and map selection should be tighter around Slayer. I'm fine with it only being used one or twice in a 5 set series.

• Upvote (+1) 1

no guys it's trash, no one likes slayer, the pros hate it, CTF is better

cmon get real, also btw if you dont agree with me i'm going to berate you

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't mind the idea of reevaluating Slayer and its purpose in the competitive scene. However the current argument for its removal just isn't enough justification for me.

If definitely shouldn't be used as a "use on any map" gametype and map selection should be tighter around Slayer. I'm fine with it only being used one or twice in a 5 set series.

Yea, I agree. It feels like, for H5 at least, that the thought process revolves around having Slayer as a gametype across the board while being very selective with the other two gametypes. I've never liked the idea of having slayer always be a Game 7. OBJ gamemodes (especially in H5) have more chances to bring those hype plays that turn games around. Slayer usually devolves into a game of spawn kill and sprint across the map to repeat the process. There have been a few really hype slayer matches, though. It just needs reworked.

Another thing to consider is that adding another gametype *cough* oddball *cough* would lessen the amount of times Slayer comes up in the rotation.

no guys it's trash, no one likes slayer, the pros hate it, CTF is better

cmon get real, also btw if you dont agree with me i'm going to berate you

Noooo. I'm enjoying being back on Beyond for the first time in over a year (the cooper saga). Don't ruin this for me!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo hasn't had a stringent focus on pairing maps with gametypes since H3, and even before then we put up with some gametypes that were utter shit just because they were popular, e.g. Lockout Slayer. 

P.S. fuck Construct KOTH

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo hasn't had a stringent focus on pairing maps with gametypes since H3, and even before then we put up with some gametypes that were utter shit just because they were popular, e.g. Lockout Slayer. 

P.S. fuck Construct KOTH

I guess it doesn't help that we've had a lack of gametypes and good maps.

Slayer: the only game type where you have to put tons of not-objectives-but-totally-actually-objectives across the map in order to make it "good." Sure, it just needs to be "reworked" to make it functionally an objective gametype. Yeah, Then it's passable. Good job.

​Slayer is still shit for competitive in large team modes.

Slayer: the only game type where you have to put tons of not-objectives-but-totally-actually-objectives across the map in order to make it "good." Sure, it just needs to be "reworked" to make it functionally an objective gametype. Yeah, Then it's passable. Good job.

​Slayer is still shit for competitive in large team modes.

I guess I'm just a little lost on why there is such hostility towards Slayer.

Objective isn't slayer + objective. Objective holds the same core values, map control, weapon control, movement, but more kills doesn't mean guaranteed win. You can out slay a team and still lose an objective match. Teams can also be much better at objective, but be terrible at slayer and visa versa.

I've yet to see a compelling reason that would make slayer a "bad" gametype. Objective is more skillful doesn't mean that slayer isn't competitive or a valid slot in a 5 set series. Weaker? Sure. Bad? Not really.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I guess I'm just a little lost on why there is such hostility towards Slayer.

Objective isn't slayer + objective. Objective holds the same core values, map control, weapon control, movement, but more kills doesn't mean guaranteed win. You can out slay a team and still lose an objective match. Teams can also be much better at objective, but be terrible at slayer and visa versa.

I've yet to see a compelling reason that would make slayer a "bad" gametype. Objective is more skillful doesn't mean that slayer isn't competitive or a valid slot in a 5 set series. Weaker? Sure. Bad? Not really.

Have you played slayer in H5? It's dogshit.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Have you played slayer in H5? It's dogshit.

I'd say thats the sentiment a lot of people on this forum share about Halo 5 in general.

Strongholds and CTF are better gametypes and I'm not trying to argue that. But I don't hate it, I do on certain maps, which is why I'm in favor of limiting its map pool and making it less frequent in MM or in sets in tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd say thats the sentiment a lot of people on this forum share about Halo 5 in general.

Strongholds and CTF are better gametypes and I'm not trying to argue that. But I don't hate it, I do on certain maps, which is why I'm in favor of limiting its map pool and making it less frequent in MM or in sets in tournaments.

That works too. It should be played once per Bo5 on maps that it actually works with. Not every single map.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Where are you from? Of course what I said isnt applicable if you live outside of the US lol.

EXPANDED SEARCH.

EXPANDED SEARCH.

EXPANDED SEARCH.

This means ping isn't taken into account when finding games. It doesn't matter where I live. The fact is, certain playlists have barely a few dozen people playing them at once when the Yanks decide to go to bed.

Halo's population doesn't support this many playlists. 4v4 ranked playlists should be consolidated into a single playlist to improve match making.

If people want to play nothing but Slayer 24/7 they should go start a custom server.

Honestly I don't care about dedis. I think they are overrated in general, and worse in a lot of cases than p2p.

If they got p2p working well, that would be fine.

All I know is that the smoothest matches I've ever played in Halo (MCC launch day and Halo 5 beta) were on dedicated servers. Also, the reason given for Halo Anniversary not having multiplayer was that P2P would've changed the gameplay too much. and MCC's promised dedicated servers were going to be the solution.

Remember, Halo's dedicated servers are using Microsoft's regional Azure infrastructure - seriously high-grade stuff.

EXPANDED SEARCH.

EXPANDED SEARCH.

EXPANDED SEARCH.

This means ping isn't taken into account when finding games. It doesn't matter where I live. The fact is, certain playlists have barely a few dozen people playing them at once when the Yanks decide to go to bed.

Halo's population doesn't support this many playlists. 4v4 ranked playlists should be consolidated into a single playlist to improve match making.

If people want to play nothing but Slayer 24/7 they should go start a custom server.

If you think consildating playlists is that necessary then the lower populated playlists should go first before the most popular playlist of all time. If you take away options, at some point people will just stop playing. I dont play slayer 24/7, but a large part of the population does.

Halo 5 has had decent population retention after the initial big drop. Not finding a game seems like a ranking issue rather than population. Who knows though I guess.

Slayer is fine as long as you have predictable spawns and fast spawning powerups. It's a different focus than objective games.

I don't think slayer requires way less skill or anything.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have never not found a game in any playlist on MCC or Halo 5 during the day. Theres consolidating playlists, then theres consolidating playlists so much people can't play what they want.

I will never understand the Team Slayer playlist hate in Halo. Its the most popular playlist on MCC, the most popular ranked playlist on Halo 5, and the most popular social and ranked playlist on Halo 3. Why people want the most popular playlist in the last 10 years to be eliminated or mixed with something else is crazy.

Ok, theres two things to consider here: The reality I know, and the reality I want.

I understand the Team Slayer playlist is the most popular. I understand that it would probably receive a huge backlash if they changed it.  I just don't like it.

I don't like, respect, or understand how people, most people apparently, would rather disregard all objective games and just play slayer. I feel like this WHOLE thing stems from Bungie's God awful MM settings all the way back in 2004. If you remember, H2 didn't launch with a Team Slayer playlist. People asked for it because they hated most of the garbage ass gametypes Bungie had in the 4v4 hopper, and asked for a TS only playlist to cut out the fat. That playlist became popular because most of the gametypes were reasonably fun, and then it just became a fixture and we're stuck with it now. It never should have been necessary.

So now we have a problem with playlist inflation, and social obj just gets the shaft because it never seems to hold a good population on its own. It needs slayer mixed in to support the population, but we're stuck with this precedent for a Slayer only playlist, because people don't want to think for 2 God damn seconds when they play, even though the standard obj gametypes are much better now.

I'm just upset that the idea of a 4v4 Team Slayer only playlist is even popular to begin with. I wish the average player was smarter than that. And if playlists were consolidated and God forbid they actually had to play an objective game for once in their lives, I'd like to think they'd be able to handle it without too much crying. It'd be nice if there was a social 4v4 playlist with every standard gametype and a population to support it. But I know thats a pipe dream. The sense of entitlement to not ever have to think too hard has 13 years of inertia behind it now.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Wait... This argument has been about H5 this whole time? Lol. The entire game is bad.

Construct KotH was the best MLG gametype

• Upvote (+1) 1