CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Good: Finally some transparency, it only took him 3 years

Bad: Sounds like they are mostly focusing on networking and MM.

Don't get me wrong, these are still garbage, but they should really focus on the bug lists the community has created and go through every single one of them until everything is fixed. Then work on their shit thier playlist management. Fixing the MM means jack shit if the games are still bug infested and the population is abysmal.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have never not found a game in any playlist on MCC or Halo 5 during the day.

Speaking of which, literally looking at this right now as I type this.

Halo 5

Team Arena

Expanded search option

9pm AEST

Unable to match.

There may not be enough players to support a game in this playlist.

Please try a different playlist.

- THIS SHOULD NOT BE A MESSAGE THAT EVER APPEARS IN A MODERN GAME.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I will never understand the Team Slayer playlist hate in Halo. Its the most popular playlist on MCC, the most popular ranked playlist on Halo 5, and the most popular social and ranked playlist on Halo 3. Why people want the most popular playlist in the last 10 years to be eliminated or mixed with something else is crazy.

Because halo scientists think they speak for everyone when in reality they don’t

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"And unlike some of our other normal testing cycles, we weren’t testing for gameplay balance and stuff that the original releases already contained"

Of all the things he said, i think this is far and away the most important line. They seriously stood there in front of millions of people and said "Exactly as you remember it, 10 years ago"

WITHOUT EVEN TESTING TO CONFIRM THAT STATEMENT.

Anyone who has played Halo for ten minutes on their life could see that this game was broken from a gameplay standpoint. They just didn't care and they don't care now, someone is just finally making them fix it.

You guys talk about the state of video gaming in here and how it's going bad this right here is the prime example of that. The developer in charge of the flagship franchise of a console, the reason this console even exists can't even take the time to check and see if the game works before selling it to people.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I love how he says "trust us, we care" but this radio silence has been going on for two years. No word why MCC was being left to die, hell not even a playlist update and they had no excuse for that as they had previously updated the playlists to remove the CE playlist and add H3 Grifball.

Yeah good that he finally delivered, but why not post this two years prior?

• Upvote (+1) 9

I love how he says "trust us, we care" but this radio silence has been going on for two years. No word why MCC was being left to die, hell not even a playlist update and they had no excuse for that as they had previously updated the playlists to remove the CE playlist and add H3 Grifball.

Yeah good that he finally delivered, but why not post this two years prior?

I love how these idiots keep falling for their sudden transparency when their game is dead, the sales are in danger and they need good PR for their next game, the classic prank of "we care until our product releases, then we are back to hiding".

• Upvote (+1) 4

Because halo scientists think they speak for everyone when in reality they don’t

Some people actually use their brains. Others are fans of Halo 5 esports.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

let's actually see if they fix it this time..

seems to be way too many naive people taking the bait so far.

I'm not saying anything, but I'm remaining skeptical. It all sounds too good to be true

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't believe a word these clowns say. Three years of not fixing it won't be erased by saying you're gonna fix it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If they had simply stuck with Halo 2 Anniversary from the beginning, this shitshow probably could’ve been avoided.

Maybe, but then alot of people would have never been introduced to halo 1. Even if it that form is a diluted one.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm not saying anything, but I'm remaining skeptical. It all sounds too good to be true

Exactly. I'm willing to give them some credit for actually coming out and acknowledging this, but they need to earn anything resembling praise with results and continued transparency. The same goes for the sudden recent community engagement regarding HCS and competitive settings. Skepticism is perfectly reasonable. 343 has a history.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they had simply stuck with Halo 2 Anniversary from the beginning, this shitshow probably could’ve been avoided.

I'm still pissed that they never did Halo: CE Anniversary Anniversary on the 5 year anniversary of Halo: CE Anniversary (last year).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some people actually use their brains. Others are fans of Halo 5 esports.

yeah, lets remove our most popular game type from esports!

that will help us grow!

"herp derp no one likes team slayer, everyone i spoke to doesn't like it, etc"

I hate how he doubled-down on the "we didn't know anything was wrong" message.  With how many problems were wrong before you even tried to matchmake, there is no way it should have gone out the door.  You're telling me that you didn't do any matchmaking via the internet or try to get a party of players together even one time?  Thats all it takes to realize how broken it is.  If you did that testing, shame on your for releasing it.  If you didn't do that testing, shame on your for having the worst QA department in all of video games.

But why would you test something when you can just assume that it works? :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't believe a word these clowns say. Three years of not fixing it won't be erased by saying you're gonna fix it.

The key right now is that they have only talked about fixing networking and nothing else. Heck, they haven't even talked about dedicated servers.

I'm still pissed that they never did Halo: CE Anniversary Anniversary on the 5 year anniversary of Halo: CE Anniversary (last year).

Maybe they can make it up to us by releasing Halo: The Master Chief Collection Anniversary in 2019.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Speaking of which, literally looking at this right now as I type this.

Halo 5

Team Arena

Expanded search option

9pm AEST

- THIS SHOULD NOT BE A MESSAGE THAT EVER APPEARS IN A MODERN GAME.

Where are you from? Of course what I said isnt applicable if you live outside of the US lol.

100000% this.

IE. In Halo 5 we have Team Arena, Team Slayer AND the HCS playlist. All ranked competitive 4v4 settings.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?

The game doesn't have a population to justify that sort of bullshit.

Just make a 4v4 competitive playlist and a social 4v4 playlist.

Done.

Finished.

IMO it's too many years of catering to casual player needs and that's conditioned them to hate objective type games without an actual reason besides "I want to play Team Slayer".

You still shoot people in objective games. Yes, Team Slayer should be it's own game type in competitive settings, but to have its own playlist seems redundant.

The fact that League of Legends seems to get away with 90% of players playing Summoners Rift and even casual Counter Strike players playing 90% Defuse maps just goes to show that casual players don't really care about playing objective game types if that's all they know, even if they're given the option of playing straight up Death Match.

Unfortunately at this point if you tried to push this all the /r/halo morons would crucify you without even realising they're killing the longevity of the game when people can't find games at 2am in the morning (but of course, they don't care since they're probably ranked Silver and don't understand that players in Onyx have less players to match against)

And yes, it's also funny how literally every single casual Halo LAN you attend will be BG CTF 24/7.

I legit went to a LAN - and no, I'm not making this up - we had 2 rooms for the LAN and we took turns hosting I think it might have been 12 people or something total?

When it was the other rooms turn to choose a gametype they chose BG CTF, BG CTF and more BG CTF. They were like fucking goldfish or something. I think they might have mixed it up ONCE by choosing Sidewinder CTF out of the 5 or so BG CTF games they setup.

When it was our turn to host I basically took over and chose random game types like Team Slayer Damnation, Team King of the Hill Battle Creek, CTF on HeH, etc... You know... Making up fun game types that weren't too hardcore. The KotH game on BC was ridiculous, because of the Halo 1 mini-nukes you could only live in the hill for like half a second. Despite the fact that everyone had fun playing it they other room immediately just defaulted back to BG CTF as if their thought process was "Wow, look at that, it's possible to have fun in other maps besides Blood Gulch. I know! Lets choose Blood Gulch again!"

Boot up Halo PC and look at the server list. Just endless BG lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The key right now is that they have only talked about fixing networking and nothing else. Heck, they haven't even talked about dedicated servers.

Honestly I don't care about dedis. I think they are overrated in general, and worse in a lot of cases than p2p.

If they got p2p working well, that would be fine.

yeah, lets remove our most popular game type from esports!

that will help us grow!

"herp derp no one likes team slayer, everyone i spoke to doesn't like it, etc"

No successful esport has been built around shitty casual game types. ALL of the top esports have an extremely focused competitive rule set with goofy gametypes for MM and custom servers. There is exactly no evidence to suggest that you have to put garbage in competitive play so casuals will watch because "hey, that's the trash I play because I don't care and it's at the top of the list!" Even fucking COD doesn't use TDM in tournaments. Your arguments are idiotic.

​There is no reason to keep it in competitive settings and no one has any argument for keeping it other than "bro like 49-49 stalemates are hype as af." But sure, taking out garbage like Slayer would TOTALLY have a bigger impact on growth than awful, gimmicky core gameplay. Definitely.

Slayer is a social game type that belongs in social playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 1