CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I don't think Team Slayer in any Halo game should be messed with. It's consistently the most popular and played playlist. Casuals want to play slayer and slayer only.

My lack of respect for that notion makes it hard to empathize with. Irrational, I know, but still. Playlist consolidation would be so much easier if we didn't have to tiptoe around everyone's Capture the Flag phobia. God fucking forbid you have to think for a second.

Also, interestingly, every LAN party I've ever been to with casuals...no one is asking for Team Slayer. It's always an objective game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Does anyone else feel like Team Slayer should just take on Obj gametypes and be the social 4v4 generic settings playlist?

Definitely. There's currently no way to play normal 4v4 OBJ in a social playlist and I'm absolutely sick to death of playing Slayer on this game.

I'd prefer they just bring back the CE 4v4 playlist instead though, tbh. Best playlist this game ever had.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'd prefer they just bring back the CE 4v4 playlist instead though, tbh. Best playlist this game ever had.

PLEASE

• Upvote (+1) 3

I could give a shit about polishing, UI, or new playlists.343 please for the first update ,maybe the second too, completely focus on functionality.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While this is nice and a potentially big step for Frankie and 343 as a studio towards respectability, the game is not and never was "working for the vast majority of players." That part in particular annoys me. Ignorance may be bliss, but it does not make game-breaking bugs disappear. Stop making excuses.

Really fix this and give us a real PC port and we can finally move on from the past 2+ insulting years of 343 radio silence. I might even consider acknowledging future Halo games.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Everyone, I know this update/explanation is way too late. 343 left us in the dark for 3 years, sold us an incomplete game, etc. But please try to atleast acknowledge and respect the sudden shift and transparency from 343. This is a huge step in the right direction. We don't have to praise them, but we also don't need to continue shitting on them. If these updates suck, then yeah, we can go back to normal, but lets at least see what they can do.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My lack of respect for that notion makes it hard to empathize with. Irrational, I know, but still. Playlist consolidation would be so much easier if we didn't have to tiptoe around everyone's Capture the Flag phobia. God fucking forbid you have to think for a second.

Also, interestingly, every LAN party I've ever been to with casuals...no one is asking for Team Slayer. It's always an objective game.

100000% this.

IE. In Halo 5 we have Team Arena, Team Slayer AND the HCS playlist. All ranked competitive 4v4 settings.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?

The game doesn't have a population to justify that sort of bullshit.

Just make a 4v4 competitive playlist and a social 4v4 playlist.

Done.

Finished.

IMO it's too many years of catering to casual player needs and that's conditioned them to hate objective type games without an actual reason besides "I want to play Team Slayer".

You still shoot people in objective games. Yes, Team Slayer should be it's own game type in competitive settings, but to have its own playlist seems redundant.

The fact that League of Legends seems to get away with 90% of players playing Summoners Rift and even casual Counter Strike players playing 90% Defuse maps just goes to show that casual players don't really care about playing objective game types if that's all they know, even if they're given the option of playing straight up Death Match.

Unfortunately at this point if you tried to push this all the /r/halo morons would crucify you without even realising they're killing the longevity of the game when people can't find games at 2am in the morning (but of course, they don't care since they're probably ranked Silver and don't understand that players in Onyx have less players to match against)

And yes, it's also funny how literally every single casual Halo LAN you attend will be BG CTF 24/7.

I legit went to a LAN - and no, I'm not making this up - we had 2 rooms for the LAN and we took turns hosting I think it might have been 12 people or something total?

When it was the other rooms turn to choose a gametype they chose BG CTF, BG CTF and more BG CTF. They were like fucking goldfish or something. I think they might have mixed it up ONCE by choosing Sidewinder CTF out of the 5 or so BG CTF games they setup.

When it was our turn to host I basically took over and chose random game types like Team Slayer Damnation, Team King of the Hill Battle Creek, CTF on HeH, etc... You know... Making up fun game types that weren't too hardcore. The KotH game on BC was ridiculous, because of the Halo 1 mini-nukes you could only live in the hill for like half a second. Despite the fact that everyone had fun playing it they other room immediately just defaulted back to BG CTF as if their thought process was "Wow, look at that, it's possible to have fun in other maps besides Blood Gulch. I know! Lets choose Blood Gulch again!"

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not surprised by that explanation. I had guessed most of those reasons in some way shape or form over the years. In retrospect, it was too much of an undertaking for them at the time considering what they were working with and fans should have questioned how it was feasible in the first place. It was too early in Xbox One's life cycle for it to ever work the way it should have. They probably should have just stuck with an H2A release by itself. But regardless, I don't think it's too late to fix the damn thing. Continue to work on it with the new tools that you have. Even if some fans of the franchise have given up on it. You owe every single person who bought it to do so.

• Upvote (+1) 2

100000% this.

IE. In Halo 5 we have Team Arena, Team Slayer AND the HCS playlist. All ranked competitive 4v4 settings.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?

The game doesn't have a population to justify that sort of bullshit.

Just make a 4v4 competitive playlist and a social 4v4 playlist.

Done.

Finished.

IMO it's too many years of catering to casual player needs and that's conditioned them to hate objective type games without an actual reason besides "I want to play Team Slayer".

You still shoot people in objective games. Yes, Team Slayer should be it's own game type in competitive settings, but to have its own playlist seems redundant.

The fact that League of Legends seems to get away with 90% of players playing Summoners Rift and even casual Counter Strike players playing 90% Defuse maps just goes to show that casual players don't really care about playing objective game types if that's all they know, even if they're given the option of playing straight up Death Match.

Unfortunately at this point if you tried to push this all the /r/halo morons would crucify you without even realising they're killing the longevity of the game when people can't find games at 2am in the morning (but of course, they don't care since they're probably ranked Silver and don't understand that players in Onyx have less players to match against)

And yes, it's also funny how literally every single casual Halo LAN you attend will be BG CTF 24/7.

I legit went to a LAN - and no, I'm not making this up - we had 2 rooms for the LAN and we took turns hosting I think it might have been 12 people or something total?

When it was the other rooms turn to choose a gametype they chose BG CTF, BG CTF and more BG CTF. They were like fucking goldfish or something. I think they might have mixed it up ONCE by choosing Sidewinder CTF out of the 5 or so BG CTF games they setup.

When it was our turn to host I basically took over and chose random game types like Team Slayer Damnation, Team King of the Hill Battle Creek, CTF on HeH, etc... You know... Making up fun game types that weren't too hardcore. The KotH game on BC was ridiculous, because of the Halo 1 mini-nukes you could only live in the hill for like half a second. Despite the fact that everyone had fun playing it they other room immediately just defaulted back to BG CTF as if their thought process was "Wow, look at that, it's possible to have fun in other maps besides Blood Gulch. I know! Lets choose Blood Gulch again!"

I have never not found a game in any playlist on MCC or Halo 5 during the day. Theres consolidating playlists, then theres consolidating playlists so much people can't play what they want.

I will never understand the Team Slayer playlist hate in Halo. Its the most popular playlist on MCC, the most popular ranked playlist on Halo 5, and the most popular social and ranked playlist on Halo 3. Why people want the most popular playlist in the last 10 years to be eliminated or mixed with something else is crazy.

While this is nice and a potentially big step for Frankie and 343 as a studio towards respectability, the game is not and never was "working for the vast majority of players." That part in particular annoys me. Ignorance may be bliss, but it does not make game-breaking bugs disappear. Stop making excuses.

Really fix this and give us a real PC port and we can finally move on from the past 2+ insulting years of 343 radio silence. I might even consider acknowledging future Halo games.

He's referring to matchmaking which was mostly working for the majority.The rest of the game, not so much.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

“hey great warzone games last night unyshek that banshee killionare was fully rad”

“For sure my dude frankie you’re gungoose was unparalleled. Btw you know how that single unpaid intern that created and patched MCC just got back from his unpaid holiday working in a North Korean labour camp?”

“Totes broski”

“Do you thonk we should finally get him to finish fixing MCC?”

“Yo great idea muchacho. I don’t think we can get him to fix MCC because he’s blind and has downs syndrome, but I think he can change a few lines of the http file the game runs on to make it 4k”

“Holy shit dude what an amazing idea, Bonnie will totally give you that $1000000 bonus she said she was thinking about! And kiki will totally let you go on a date with her and let you watch her get gangfucked by Cortana futa cosplayers!”

“I know right, I’ll be able to finally buy 10,000 copies of HW2 to make it not look like a complete disaster.”

“Hey duderonomy, do you think it’s about time you told the cucked community the truth about MCC?”

“Nah, but I think i may as well get the intern to write an essay that lies about literally everything so people will still buy “Halo 5: guardians 2: the ghost of Sgt Johnson” where they’ll find out master chief was the bad guy all along imho”

“Yeah for sure, for sure”

“Btw praise barvo”

“Yeah praise barvo btw”

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He's referring to matchmaking which was mostly working for the majority.The rest of the game, not so much.

If that's what he meant, he would be better served by saying that. Like "match-making mostly works, even though all of the games themselves are still broken for everyone, even the kids who don't know any better" He said "the game" is working. Not one feature.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well, that's something.

"We will, however, have kind of a second half of this post when the update is released"

How long do you think THAT is going to be put off?

"Frankly, we don’t assume anything anymore."

GOOD.

"so even though for most, the game is stable"

Define stable.

"The platform itself has made some truly evolutionary improvements to its underlying technology"

Good, but a side note to the Xbone team - how about you also apply some of that elbow grease to the VISIBLE portion of the Xbone? I have an Xbox 360 sitting on top of my Xbone, and the UI speed/functionality for the former is at least 2x.

This explanation is a good start, but I was waiting to hear about why I was able to get a super-fast dedicated server on launch day, but not since.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If that's what he meant, he would be better served by saying that. Like "match-making mostly works, even though all of the games themselves are still broken for everyone, even the kids who don't know any better" He said "the game" is working. Not one feature.

The context was in regards to matchmaking, but yeah, poor wording.

Man, oh man. I'm very glad to see some transparency and communication with the Halo community. That seems like a heartfelt explanation of what happened with the game.

With the way he explained it, I suppose if the X and Xbox Updates hadn't made the strides they have then the game would remain in the state it is currently?

Here's to hoping and wanting this level of communication to continue and MCC to be fully fixed.

I have never not found a game in any playlist on MCC or Halo 5 during the day. Theres consolidating playlists, then theres consolidating playlists so much people can't play what they want.

I will never understand the Team Slayer playlist hate in Halo. Its the most popular playlist on MCC, the most popular ranked playlist on Halo 5, and the most popular social and ranked playlist on Halo 3. Why people want the most popular playlist in the last 10 years to be eliminated or mixed with something else is crazy.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

The reason TS is so popular is because Halo players don't know any better. As I said, seems funny how plenty of casual players are willing to play nothing but BG CTF over and over again but then those same players don't want to play CTF on other maps when searching 4v4.

Also, your anecdotal evidence is just that - Anecdotal. My experience has been the complete opposite. Other highly ranked players in NA have struggled to find games at certain times also so don't try telling me it's only people in my region that experience issues.

But lets just say that an Onyx ranked player can still find games at 3am in Team Slayer within their region.

That's great. But what about Team Arena? Probably less likely or maybe they come across the same players over and over and over again.

So then these players that actually want variety are basically forced to play in the Team Slayer playlist because they have no choice.

They then get bored of playing nothing but Slayer over and over again. So basically players that aren't completely braindead are punished thanks to a system that punishes them for actually wanting some variety in matchmaking.

Like I said, Halo players have been conditioned to believe that other game types can't be fun. For what reasons, I don't know, but Hard Way has it right when he said "Capture the Flag phobia"

IMO the games playlists could be consolidated even further.

8v8 BTB casual, 4v4 casual, 4v4 ranked, 2v2 ranked, 1v1 ranked, FFA ranked.

Then things like SWAT, Snipers, etc, could become rotating casual modes much like ULTRA RAPID FIRE mode in LoL which makes an appearance, is very popular but then goes away again. The reason Riot does this is because they know URF is popular, but they don't want to negatively impact the core game too much so they make it a special event. Also, custom games exist for Grifball, SWAT, Infection, etc.

Look at League of Legends - It's the perfect example. It's the most popular game in the world so obviously they're doing something right by funnelling MILLIONS of players into a small number of playlists. The game has like 1/4 of the playlists Halo has, yet it has what? More than 100X's the playerbase?

It's probably a good reason the game is very popular, you can often find a game against people your skill level inside your region in less than a minute at most times of day.

They also implement queues in a very intelligent way that disables certain queues at certain times.

For example, when LoL got Oceanic servers they weren't very populated since all the players were still on NA servers and had to migrate over.

So while players were slowly migrating over ranked play was disabled for Oceanic servers during off peak hours. This forced all players that wanted to play into normal matches so that players would find matches faster. As the servers got more populated they made it less restrictive.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, that's something.

"We will, however, have kind of a second half of this post when the update is released"

How long do you think THAT is going to be put off?

"Frankly, we don’t assume anything anymore."

GOOD.

"so even though for most, the game is stable"

Define stable.

"The platform itself has made some truly evolutionary improvements to its underlying technology"

Good, but a side note to the Xbone team - how about you also apply some of that elbow grease to the VISIBLE portion of the Xbone? I have an Xbox 360 sitting on top of my Xbone, and the UI speed/functionality for the former is at least 2x.

This explanation is a good start, but I was waiting to hear about why I was able to get a super-fast dedicated server on launch day, but not since.

The new Xbox ui update is the quickest it’s ever been

Well Frankie's reponse is pretty much PR mumble. Nothing unexpected with his response. He could have released it 1000 days ago or now, it would make the same difference and that response took less than a day to write.

What really happened. "Corporate wanted the game out ASAP to make money and sell xboxes. It didn't matter if it was ready for release. We didn't test the game for glitches because we didn't have time. When we ran into match making issues at the core of the game, we didn't have time to fix it as it was too late to start over. We only had time to put bandaids on it. We stopped working on the game because we weren't budgeted to work on it past halo 5's release. With the scorpio release, they have allotted us the time, money, and permission to be working on the game again." 

Well my best guess. It's the only explanation that makes any sense. The devs could hate classic halo for all I know and sabotaged it on purpose but I doubt that. 

Frankie is definitely lying that they didn't know the games had bugs. Like you can't play 1 halo ce game without encountering at least 10 bugs. And they were showing the game off to the public 2-3 weeks before the game released. So they definitely at least knew for 1 month before release there were bugs if we're to believe they legitimately didn't even try playing multiplayer on it. And yet they didn't delay the release. 

Triple A developers have delayed games before. Twilight princess was delayed twice! and was released a full year later. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Man r/halo is hivemind of stupidity.

Anyway. This is too little too late. The game should’ve worked day one, not 3 fucking year later. I’m guessing XBX is the reason they are fixing this shit now.

Too little too late 343/MS. too little too late.

Taking this PR response with grain of salt.

• Upvote (+1) 2