CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

"Fans of classic Halo games also have a lot to look forward to with today’s announcement that Halo: TheMaster Chief Collection will receive enhancements for Xbox One X, as well as fixes, improvements and upgrades to the core game to help bring it forward and modernize many of the game’s systems to take advantage of Xbox platform advancements since its original launch."

Maybe this is just me being gun-shy from the 1,000 other times 343 has misled us with ambiguous language, but that official statement above looks a heck of a lot like back-end system improvements to help it run better on OneX rather than actual gameplay improvements. Maybe the improvements will make the game play better and shot registration better, etc., but it doesn't seem like that is the focus.

"Fixes, improvements and upgrades to the core game to help bring it forward and modernize many of the game's systems..."

What does that actually mean? There is no need to bring the core game forward and modernize it. That could mean they are adding micro-transactions for weapon skins for all we know. There is a large need to fix critical issues that are preventing the game from being an accurate representation of the core games, but the language they use doesn't expressly say that.

I've just seen this play out way too many times to not be incredibly dubious about all of it.

You make a good point, the language is pretty vague. I suppose it comes down to how they're defining the "core game." Is it the individual games functioning as they did in their original state? Is it that they're referencing the matchmaking working?

Does anyone have any intel on whether the One X will be using a different online infrastructure than the other versions of the Xbox One? I'm only aware that the visuals and power of the One X will be greater.

What really sinks this entire announcement in for me... Is that I was 23 years old when this game released.. I will be damn near 27 years old when the game is (potentially) in a passable state...

Jesus Christ...

22 and 26 here. Yea, it's crazy. Think of all the free time that could have been spent playing CE-3.

I like your optimism but frank and sketch don't come here anymore and Tashi is just here because of PR, he'll disappear in a few.

Covering my bases, obviously.

I want to know what studio they have working on this....

If it's not Code Mystics...

Frankie said its being done by 343 themselves though didn't they?

343 and "one dedicated team" aka one contractor not 5. Which is fine. Contract work for this kind of stuff is totally normal and can be high quality as long as they are working with talented people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder what sort of reception a free play days event for the MCC would get after this update drops. Gears 4 had a couple of the free play events, and the game went on sale during it too. I think it saw an influx of players.

Granted, that's only a good idea if MCC is fully functional.

Man, this is going to be a long wait for the update...

I wonder what sort of reception a free play days event for the MCC would get after this update drops. Gears 4 had a couple of the free play events, and the game went on sale during it too. I think it saw an influx of players.

Granted, that's only a good idea if MCC is fully functional.

Man, this is going to be a long wait for the update...

It will be a series of updates that use feedback between each one, starting in the spring. We’re a LONG ways out from a free play weekend.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It will be a series of updates that use feedback between each one, starting in the spring. We’re a LONG ways out from a free play weekend.

So it's going to be more than one? That's even better news. I feel better about them taking it step by step rather than pushing one update that will fix it all. Baby steps.

Since we're getting more news this week, apparently, I'm hoping that players will get the change to play any build they're about to put out for testing. If I recall correctly there was supposed to be a beta for the March patch of 2015 for preview members. It never happened though.

#1 fix for MCC: please for the love of all that is holy fix the bug that makes my magnum bullets literally dance around my opponent's head as if they were actively trying to avoid it in CE. That one fix alone would make the game 1000x more enjoyable.

#2 fix: give the games seperate playlists. Cross game playlists are a cesspool of quitters that quit the instant they don't get the game they want.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Really interested to see what they do with Halo 1. All the Halos deserve attention in this update, but Halo 1 is sooo much more broken than H2 and H3.

I can see them fixing registration issues in Halo 2 and Halo 3, but Halo 1 would need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Thats just bugs, too. Theres a lot of changes still needed to make Halo 1 as competitive as it is on LAN to get good players to come back. All player generated sounds need to go, spawn sounds need to go, etc.

As far as playlists go, keep it nice and simple and have a preference box where you can check/uncheck which Halos you'll play in what playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 3

As far as playlists go, keep it nice and simple and have a preference box where you can check/uncheck which Halos you'll play in what playlist.

Can't stress this enough. If they want cross-game playlist to work, this needs to happen. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

What really sinks this entire announcement in for me... Is that I was 23 years old when this game released.. I will be damn near 27 years old when the game is (potentially) in a passable state...

Jesus Christ...

To put it in perspective, in the time since MCC released I've had 2 children (Well, the Mrs has, you know what I mean).

So yeah... Even if MCC is PERFECT and the game somehow gets a million people playing it I'll now have little time to actually enjoy it.

My biggest hope is that they bring MCC to PC. I have a feeling they might since they're going to be updating the graphics and stuff. With Halo 5: Forge on PC and many Microsoft games releasing with Play Anywhere support there's a decent possibility.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like instead of changing the concept of playlists with these checklist modifiers, just drop the multis (aka, the H3 or quit playlists), and replace them with more specific playlists for each game.  I never ever want 2v2 CE to go away, but a 4v4 CE playlist would be sweet, or a BTB CE playlist.

Can we just drop the song and dance and make this into the CE collection with all the playlists I want?

• Upvote (+1) 1

New post by Frankie on NeoGAF with a bit of insight into what they are actually doing:

Uw9Mri5.png

I feel like instead of changing the concept of playlists with these checklist modifiers, just drop the multis (aka, the H3 or quit playlists), and replace them with more specific playlists for each game.  I never ever want 2v2 CE to go away, but a 4v4 CE playlist would be sweet, or a BTB CE playlist.

Man I would love to have the full set of playlists for every game in the collection, but in think neither the population nor the UI could support that haha. What would be truly amazing is having the full set of playlists for each game AND the option to search in multiple playlists at once like Titanfall 2, thus allowing people who actually like the mixed playlists (do these people even exist?) to search all BTB playlists for example and to speed up search times.

What mostly needs to happen is a removal of all garbage game types (SMG and AR starts in 2017 lol), rework of the CE BTB gametypes to add a time limit and fix the score limit in Team Slayer. We also need missing gametypes back (e.g. Sandbox and its variants aren't even in H3 BTB, why? did they just forget about that map?) And lastly and most importantly, the weighting of maps and gametypes is completely broken (95% of my H3 matches are on Citadel or Orbital).

• Upvote (+1) 5

You all that still play MCC are troopers.  I still just run in to too many technical issues and can't do it to myself.

New post by Frankie on NeoGAF with a bit of insight into what they are actually doing:

Uw9Mri5.png

Well, that's a good sign. Sounds like a better looking set of games and maybe a new network structure with the new system?

Well, that's a good sign. Sounds like a better looking set of games and maybe a new network structure with the new system?

It kind of has to be. Honestly the only way to do this right is to basically start over.  I bet that's easier too.

• Upvote (+1) 1