CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I'm not as hopeful but am keeping my fingers crossed. That would be amazing...

I wonder how hard it would be to create an Xbox App that is a tunnel packeting system for older games.

I'm not as hopeful but am keeping my fingers crossed. That would be amazing...

I wonder how hard it would be to create an Xbox App that is a tunnel packeting system for older games.

Its probably possible the real question is would MS allow an app that bypasses their paid subscription service to be supported

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So... I forget. What exactly is/was wrong with OG HCE(disc) being played backwards compatible on the Xbox 360?

That is the only way I can play it myself these days, since I believe my OG Xbox eventually gave up on life if I'm correct.

I know both the OG Xbox and Xbox One use the same architecture.

They both use x86-based CPUs, but the OG graphics chip was custom. The people who did the enhanced Phantom Dust port mentioned it was a real pain in the ass to convert the shaders.

So... I forget. What exactly is/was wrong with OG HCE(disc) being played backwards compatible on the Xbox 360?

As far as I am concerned, Halo: CE doesn't suffer certain visual problems, like Halo 2 does.

They both use x86-based CPUs, but the OG graphics chip was custom. The people who did the enhanced Phantom Dust port mentioned it was a real pain in the ass to convert the shaders.

I haven't had the time to play Phantom Dust, yet. I guess this means we should still expect emulation problems for OG Xbox games (hopefully not as bad as the 360's BC for OG Xbox games).

That is the only way I can play it myself these days, since I believe my OG Xbox eventually gave up on life if I'm correct.

The game experiences more framerate drops.

As far as I am concerned, Halo: CE doesn't suffer certain visual problems, like Halo 2 does.

What visual problems might I ask? I'm not aware. I know everything definitely looks clearer on the 360. Playing warlock on OG is dark af. cant even tell what base is what. I remember @@Moa posting the difference before MCC dropped

What visual problems might I ask? I'm not aware. I know everything definitely looks clearer on the 360. Playing warlock on OG is dark af. cant even tell what base is what. I remember @@Moa posting the difference before MCC dropped

Halo 2 has draw distances issues, similar to Halo 3's BC. What I mean is: objects and/or characters from a distance have visible black pixels on them. There is also an exclusive graphical glitch in Halo 2 which is bad... and I mean REALLY bad. By the way, that old 360 dashboard makes me nostalgic. Halo: CE seems relatively fine - no noticeable emulation issues for that game.

The reason OG games look clearer on the 360 is because of the Component or HDMI cables. I use an A/V cable for my OG Xbox, and I think I'll stick to playing games that were designed for that hardware. Phil Spencer said that OG Xbox games will look, and play better on the Xbox One, but that remains to be seen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo2 on 360 off host used to load lockout without fog making the map look quite different.  or at least it did at launch, I don't know if that was eventually patched .  Same problem caused them to remove backwash from all matchmaking as it wouldn't load properly on 360's.  (as opposed to removing it because it sucked ass) 

H1 didn't have any visual issues that I can remember, but I think the frame rate would struggle a lot more during MP and large fights in SP.

I've wanted to post this for a while.

My buddy Pukovsky lived together in college, and we were both way more into CE than 2 (which came out prior to college) or 3 (which released our sophomore year). We didn't really have others at school to play with, so we would just play a ton of split screen 1v1s every week.

Rather than the "no screen peaking" nonsense, we were completely open about it, and it was encouraged, or really a necessity for this style of play.

Around March we got together with two other buddies during one of the HCS championship weekends to spend a weekend playing Halo. I brought my desktop with my capture card, and finally got one of these non traditional 1v1s recorded.

I know it's long, but I think it's cool to see something different, and there are some pretty solid plays mixed in here. Hope y'all enjoy it:

• Upvote (+1) 6

If they think I'm paying $500 for a system (again) that has literally zero games to play a "fixed" version of a bunch of old games that released 3 years ago 343 can piss off.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If they think I'm paying $500 for a system (again) that has literally zero games to play a "fixed" version of a bunch of old games that released 3 years ago 343 can piss off.

Xbox One X enhancements - it won't be exclusive to the X.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Xbox One X enhancements - it won't be exclusive to the X.

Yeah I know the "fixed" MCC won't be some X1X exclusive but it really sounds like whatever changes are coming will be better off on the new system. I'll just stay cautiously optimistic until then I guess.

Yeah I know the "fixed" MCC won't be some X1X exclusive but it really sounds like whatever changes are coming will be better off on the new system. I'll just stay cautiously optimistic until then I guess.

Absolutely - I'm skeptical because they are hiring another external studio to work on this. Hopefully they have all the time they need to fix it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's going to be a news post later this week with more information. Frankie has made a couple of posts on GAF re: MCC.

The two more important ones:

x2F4khA.png

5YwNI6X.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

How do we get them the feedback they need to make this thing a masterpiece?

Post in the right places, test the shit out of the updates, report everything.

• Upvote (+1) 1