CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Anyone that knows Halo 1 AND Halo 2 on lan knows H1 is a worse representation of its original on MCC than Halo 2. Its not even close. The fact that theres no lead in MCC is a bigger gameplay difference than anything wrong with Halo 2 MCC.

I think it's weird to say there's no lead in MCC... if anything, it's just a super variable, connection-based lead. Sometimes it's small, other times it's enormous, and you have to feel it out game to game, wouldn't you say? Anyway, maybe you and Montage wouldn't be beating Patch and Legend on LAN like you have on MCC, but I still have to imagine that the best MCC players are pretty insane LAN players. H1 isn't so much about raw aim, it's more about .. 'understanding' how to aim the pistol, and I feel like that transfers over fairly well. Just my .02 though.

For my money, the most egregious problem with MCC H1 is the hyper-visible camo. I get so sick of getting lit across Hang 'em.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can we talk about how great this map is? For real.

I was a fan of Sidewinder, but Timberland just complements that CE BTB game so well. It really captures how well the CE sandbox works even if it has a few snipers, shotguns, camos, tanks, rockets, fuel rod guns, and an OS.

Also a fan of Infinity, but that's not a common opinion apparently.

As a map in general, Infinity isn't stellar imo. As a race map, its incredible.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's weird to say there's no lead in MCC... if anything, it's just a super variable, connection-based lead. Sometimes it's small, other times it's enormous, and you have to feel it out game to game, wouldn't you say? Anyway, maybe you and Montage wouldn't be beating Patch and Legend on LAN like you have on MCC, but I still have to imagine that the best MCC players are pretty insane LAN players. H1 isn't so much about raw aim, it's more about .. 'understanding' how to aim the pistol, and I feel like that transfers over fairly well. Just my .02 though.

For my money, the most egregious problem with MCC H1 is the hyper-visible camo. I get so sick of getting lit across Hang 'em.

MCC is a tough game that no one truly understands yet and probably never will. There is simply too much varriance game to game and the game is too broken to "solve".

As far as lead goes, I have never and will never lead my shot in MCC. I've played the game as much as anyone and have never encountered a single time where I lead a shot and it hit better than just spamming body shots as if MCC is 100% hitscan. The only lead that I have ever noticed is a 1/4th reticle lead that you have to use if someone is walking in a straight line left or right, and even then I am hesitant to say thats true lead thats being calculated by speed and distance rather than MCC having massive desync issues to the point the game is registering a person at two different spots on one screen. One spot is what I see and the other spot is the actual hitbox where the game actually has the player. That example is just off my screen without considering what my opponent is seeing on his.

I've lanned OG about 10 times after starting H1 on MCC, so what I say definitely isnt the 100% truth. The most apparent difference I noticed right off the bat between games is you have to play consistently smarter on MCC. You constantly have to be in posistion to get the first 3-4 shots off because you never know when the pistol will turn to mush. Since there is no real skill gap using the MCC pistol, you can't really turn around and outshoot someone like LAN. On LAN you dont have to play as smart if you can consistently outshoot someone despite being at a disadvantage. Who cares if you're out of position on LAN if you can 3 that person. I know magnetism/aim assist in MCC apears to be connection based game to game, but if all things are equal, you simply can't outshoot someone if you're at 3-4 shot defecit on MCC.

The next difference is powerups. Same thing as I said before. The pistol is flawed and there isnt a skill gap to it like LAN. Because of that, every power up seems like its 10x more important on MCC compared to lan. Since the pistol is such an inconsistent mess in tMCC, you really cant be countered if you have a power up. Someone isnt going to consistently 3-4 you if you miss a shot with camo. You have way bigger margin of error with power ups. If miss shots with camo on MCC, you can simply run away most of the time. In the same token, being out of position on MCC is also extremely hard to consistently punish. The margin of error when it comes to posistion is also way bigger. I know I have said both "posistion is so important in MCC AND you can't be punished for being out of posistion" in this post. Thats how truly fucked up MCC is. On certain maps and situations, posistion can be everything or nothing. Power up priority is also quite different. Camo/snipe on chilly is probably stronger than rockets. OS is strong as fuck due to the pistols weakness and no PR to counter. Camo is almost always a guaranteed 4-5 kills on Hang Em, etc. Being able to hear spawns is also a big difference. On LAN, a good player knows how to find spawns quickly without sound. They utilize split screen to make sure him and his opponent are checking different parts of that map, they then check areas from most to least important, know how to be in the best posistion accounting for all possible spawns, etc. On MCC, you just listen for spawns. Thats another huge skill/knowledge gap that is missing on MCC.

As far as camo goes, it's all opinion based, but MCC camo is way harder to see, IMO. Of course OG halo on tubes is way worse quality, but the transparency value of camo on MCC is 10%-20% higher if I were to guess. Camo is do or die on MCC. On LAN its important, but its not always everything. If you ever get lit on Hang Em on MCC, it's 99% of the time from someone prefiring where they think you can be. I have never seen camo all by myself out of the blue past medium range on MCC. I dont think I've ever seen camo past medium range even when in hardscoped at where a camo guy is.

I could write an essay on how the H1 skillgap is destroyed by 10 different things and how that enables me to beat good players on MCC that would destroy me on lan, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 8

"Bp Smok3". He was trying to find someone to make a montage of his clips.

do you know anything about them?

Magnum gunfights in MCC CE are literally a coin flip. Some games you get 90% perfect kills regardless of your aim and there's nothing anyone can do. Others, your bullets spew all over the place and you can't even consistently hit stationary players. MCC is fixed, though.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Unless you are split screening I don't think you are getting nearly the level of practice you need to compete on LAN. It's still possible to do well but there's just small things people don't do or are aware of. I feel clueless when I'm not split screening compared to when I do. I don't think any of the MCC guys on this past years Beach LAN showed up. Bobby gained his fame through MCC but apparently played before that and he's gone from a laggy name to arguably a top tier player that has continuously took games and series off other top players.

As far as the pistol, I believe there is a mod on PC called the "No Lead" mod, where regardless if it's 20 ping or 200 ping you still put your cross hair in the same spot. It helps create consistency in a sense but at the same time I have no idea why my bullets sometimes hit and don't.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Magnum gunfights in MCC CE are literally a coin flip. Some games you get 90% perfect kills regardless of your aim and there's nothing anyone can do. Others, your bullets spew all over the place and you can't even consistently hit stationary players. MCC is fixed, though.

Definitely agree, yet, still more fun than H5. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

do you know anything about them?

Probably the better clips you'll see on MCC. Triples, killtacs, full camo snipes, etc. He has them spread over 10+ 50 accounts.

Probably the better clips you'll see on MCC. Triples, killtacs, full camo snipes, etc. He has them spread over 10+ 50 accounts.

how do i find this man 

It's funny, I have a pretty decent gaming monitor (asus vs-238h) and I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen a camo guy. Camo is basically 1% more visible than being not rendered at all. I've played at Patch's house and it was the same way; he has some other high quality monitor. But everyone else can see us easily. What's the deal with that?

edit: not that I give a shit... game absolutely sucks

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's funny, I have a pretty decent gaming monitor (asus vs-238h) and I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen a camo guy. Camo is basically 1% more visible than being not rendered at all. I've played at Patch's house and it was the same way; he has some other high quality monitor. But everyone else can see us easily. What's the deal with that?

Camo is basically invisible past short range. I can be top red on HH with Camo pushing top power up with an enemy sitting still top blue pistol hardscoped on catwalk and not even worry.

I think when you quick camo there's like a .8 second window that a name will show up above your head if someone is looking at you even if you're full camo. But besides that, camo is impossible to see except on pris and chill out.

After three CE matches, and one Halo 2 match, I can safely say the that player searches in this game are BS. 3s should never be matched with 16s and 17s. The only semi-decent match I've played so far was the first CE match (we lost 50-39). The one in Halo 2 was ridiculous; two teammates from the opposing side quit and it was just spawn-killing fest. I quit the match right before we won because I didn't want to rank up because of an unfair victory - I would rather proudly lose.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unless you are split screening I don't think you are getting nearly the level of practice you need to compete on LAN. It's still possible to do well but there's just small things people don't do or are aware of. I feel clueless when I'm not split screening compared to when I do. I don't think any of the MCC guys on this past years Beach LAN showed up. Bobby gained his fame through MCC but apparently played before that and he's gone from a laggy name to arguably a top tier player that has continuously took games and series off other top players.

As far as the pistol, I believe there is a mod on PC called the "No Lead" mod, where regardless if it's 20 ping or 200 ping you still put your cross hair in the same spot. It helps create consistency in a sense but at the same time I have no idea why my bullets sometimes hit and don't.

Yeah, I mean... you probably aren't going to put up good numbers against Patch / Legend / McDick if you only play MCC, but I don't think anybody that plays MCC seriously didn't also play OG. Even though I haven't seen them play outside of watching MCC twitch, I'd be willing to make fat bets on Twisted, Montage, Smoke, Xorg, Kilo, Xeno, Wubby, etc. (and Jester if he ever played..) going pretty far in a LAN format. 

I agree with Twisted on the point that MCC seems to reward a certain type of tactical play where you are -super- careful about your positioning. This doesn't mean turtling per se, but just always having a wall to duck behind as soon as your pistol shots magically disappear into dimension X, or wherever the hell it is they go. Watching the top guys streams, I feel like they take absolutely zero chances letting their opponent get more than 2-3 shots on them, because you never know when will just randomly 3 you against all odds. It's no use trying to out-strafe them or out-shoot them - you have to be literally blocked by a wall to make sure.

Even though LAN is obviously the gold standard, I don't think that this style of play is inherently that unskilled. Even if MCC is significantly worse than LAN, it's still one of the deepest skill gaps on earth, in the grand scheme of things. I feel like I have gotten much, much better as a player based on the reps I've gotten from MCC, though I admit that's in no way backed up by having attended a LAN. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, I mean... you probably aren't going to put up good numbers against Patch / Legend / McDick if you only play MCC, but I don't think anybody that plays MCC seriously didn't also play OG. Even though I haven't seen them play outside of watching MCC twitch, I'd be willing to make fat bets on Twisted, Montage, Smoke, Xorg, Kilo, Xeno, Wubby, etc. (and Jester if he ever played..) going pretty far in a LAN format.

I agree with Twisted on the point that MCC seems to reward a certain type of tactical play where you are -super- careful about your positioning. This doesn't mean turtling per se, but just always having a wall to duck behind as soon as your pistol shots magically disappear into dimension X, or wherever the hell it is they go. Watching the top guys streams, I feel like they take absolutely zero chances letting their opponent get more than 2-3 shots on them, because you never know when will just randomly 3 you against all odds. It's no use trying to out-strafe them or out-shoot them - you have to be literally blocked by a wall to make sure.

Even though LAN is obviously the gold standard, I don't think that this style of play is inherently that unskilled. Even if MCC is significantly worse than LAN, it's still one of the deepest skill gaps on earth, in the grand scheme of things. I feel like I have gotten much, much better as a player based on the reps I've gotten from MCC, though I admit that's in no way backed up by having attended a LAN.

Wubby is Mighty who is a great LAN player who has lanned years more than hes played MCC. I think good MCC players have potential, but the game is just too different to translate right off the bat. I can't speak on anyone else you mentioned, but I'm 100x better on MCC. I dont think its a connection thing either. Just far more used to MCC and the skill gap is a lot smaller on MCC. I'd say I'm actually bad on LAN right now TBH. The only MCC person that has made a succesful switch is Bobby Blitz.

It's hard to compare how MCC players play on LAN compared to MCC because MCC players, like myself, have 5,000+ games on MCC compared to under a 100 on LAN. But most MCC players get smoked.

• Upvote (+1) 2

whenever I used to play I'd say 1/4 of the time (being 1 out of 4 camo powerups) if I dragged my reticule over a camo guy (no matter how far away he was), his name would pop up. So I would just drag my reticule back more slowly until i found him and shot. Quick camo is definitely busted like twisted said, the name still appears for "years" with aim assist too.

Your character is definitely invisible most of the time. Though sometimes you're screen is camoed but the other players can still see you, or sometimes ur teammate will see ur camo and you will see your camo but later after the game you'll ask and they will tell you you weren't camo when you ran top powerup at 45-45. 

nice

whenever I used to play I'd say 1/4 of the time (being 1 out of 4 camo powerups) if I dragged my reticule over a camo guy (no matter how far away he was), his name would pop up. So I would just drag my reticule back more slowly until i found him and shot. Quick camo is definitely busted like twisted said, the name still appears for "years" with aim assist too.

Your character is definitely invisible most of the time. Though sometimes you're screen is camoed but the other players can still see you, or sometimes ur teammate will see ur camo and you will see your camo but later after the game you'll ask and they will tell you you weren't camo when you ran top powerup at 45-45. 

nice

Fake camo glitch only happens, afaik, when you are standing on a new camo exactly when your old camo expires. Order of events gets confused between client / server and it ends up picking up the new camo and then toggling your camo state off, rather than the other way around. 

Dumb as fuck, but avoidable.

Wubby is Mighty who is a great LAN player who has lanned years more than hes played MCC. I think good MCC players have potential, but the game is just too different to translate right off the bat. I can't speak on anyone else you mentioned, but I'm 100x better on MCC. I dont think its a connection thing either. Just far more used to MCC and the skill gap is a lot smaller on MCC. I'd say I'm actually bad on LAN right now TBH. The only MCC person that has made a succesful switch is Bobby Blitz.

It's hard to compare how MCC players play on LAN compared to MCC because MCC players, like myself, have 5,000+ games on MCC compared to under a 100 on LAN. But most MCC players get smoked.

Interesting, I guess that speaks to just how deep the skill curve is on LAN. Still, I bet you're just used to the latency and aiming of MCC, and if you lanned a lot in a row you'd rise pretty fast. The rest of the fundamentals - positioning, spawns, nades - are all there. 

It's definitely news to me that MCC sound effects travel farther. It makes sense now that I know, but I just could never put my finger on it before. I play without headphones and I think it's a major disadvantage in MCC because of the amount of spawn information transmitted by sound, esp. on maps like Damnation and Chilly, is so critical. 

The biggest difference is obviously the shooting-skill gap, which is ruined on MCC. It's much easier to land shots (or have shots do nothing) on MCC, which changes a lot of the dynamics of the game.

Interesting, I guess that speaks to just how deep the skill curve is on LAN. Still, I bet you're just used to the latency and aiming of MCC, and if you lanned a lot in a row you'd rise pretty fast. The rest of the fundamentals - positioning, spawns, nades - are all there. 

It's definitely news to me that MCC sound effects travel farther. It makes sense now that I know, but I just could never put my finger on it before. I play without headphones and I think it's a major disadvantage in MCC because of the amount of spawn information transmitted by sound, esp. on maps like Damnation and Chilly, is so critical. 

Big old wall of text incoming.

It's not that any of the MCC players are unskilled in certain aspects, it's just that without split screening I don't feel like you are getting the best practice you can to prepare you for LAN. Maybe people are just more aware than I am without having the actual visual information for them.  

I've got a question for MCC players. How do you constantly give your partner a better spawn? I am aware of the kill feed and can time it a bit but there are definitely times in the game where I mistime his respawn or an not aware he died because I misread the feed at first. Do you guys actually communicate "I'm dead" as a call out? Do you occasionally miss a spawn because of the lack of information?

Everything still exists in the game whether it's MCC or LAN but the nuances of baiting/switching as well as team shooting from seeing both screens are improved on LAN. I might be in a room with a teammate and an enemy, they fight each other and kill each other and the enemies body explodes to a location that I wasn't paying attention to so I walk near his death cam but on split screen I might be able to see that body.

It basically has less to do with any individual aspects of the game, like shooting, throwing nades, timing etc. It has more to do with perfecting teamwork in a sense by using 2x the information available. There have been a few people attending LANs this past year that either are pretty new to Halo CE or play on the PC version. A common call out at LAN's is "See that?". I am almost always met with a "No" or a "see what?" in regards to something important happening on my screen. It's not a no like 20-30% of the time but closer toward 90%. That call out could be in regard to a rocket laying down near them, and opponent, a camo guy moving across my screen, information on a death cam (which can be a multitude of scenarios)

I'm far from a top player, and I'm sure theres some MCC players that would beat me on LAN. I'm not posting this to downplay anyones skills. I just thing there is actually quite a significant skill in being able to screen watch and apply that information instantly. Going from XBC to LAN helped me improve a lot, but even from then it wasn't till I started to constantly LAN with people better than me did I improve. I never felt that level of improvement while playing MCC, because I already knew the nade tricks and spawns but that isn't what I needed to improve on.

To use a different example, I went to a Shadowrun tournament at EsportsArena this past winter. When I played online I was ok, and played troll for a team that was all much better than me, against a team with much better players and the "best troll in the game". It was rough online because in Halo i was always a support player and in Shadowrun troll kind of goes at the right moments to clean up a fight that was already initiated. (there's no indicators on the map where your teammates are) I would hear gunfire knowing my teammate went in, I would go in to help him and he would instantly teleport out and run away, all in the course of literally a second. Communication can help but kill times and abilities are super fast so it's hard to communicate going in fighting and leaving all in a second. Basically at the tournament I was 10x better than I was online because I could screen watch. My character benefits too from sitting back a bit so I had extra time to do that all. I was able to call out every call out on my teammates screen that they for some reason didn't communicate. I could back out of my push at the last second cause i could visually see my teammate is preparing to back out. Nobody on my team was screen watching or even at the LAN in general. It was mind-blowing to me coming from an era it having such importance. Only one other person seemed to take advantage of it and it seemed like it boosted their gameplay too.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Big old wall of text incoming.

It's not that any of the MCC players are unskilled in certain aspects, it's just that without split screening I don't feel like you are getting the best practice you can to prepare you for LAN. Maybe people are just more aware than I am without having the actual visual information for them.  

I've got a question for MCC players. How do you constantly give your partner a better spawn? I am aware of the kill feed and can time it a bit but there are definitely times in the game where I mistime his respawn or an not aware he died because I misread the feed at first. Do you guys actually communicate "I'm dead" as a call out? Do you occasionally miss a spawn because of the lack of information?

Everything still exists in the game whether it's MCC or LAN but the nuances of baiting/switching as well as team shooting from seeing both screens are improved on LAN. I might be in a room with a teammate and an enemy, they fight each other and kill each other and the enemies body explodes to a location that I wasn't paying attention to so I walk near his death cam but on split screen I might be able to see that body.

It basically has less to do with any individual aspects of the game, like shooting, throwing nades, timing etc. It has more to do with perfecting teamwork in a sense by using 2x the information available. There have been a few people attending LANs this past year that either are pretty new to Halo CE or play on the PC version. A common call out at LAN's is "See that?". I am almost always met with a "No" or a "see what?" in regards to something important happening on my screen. It's not a no like 20-30% of the time but closer toward 90%. That call out could be in regard to a rocket laying down near them, and opponent, a camo guy moving across my screen, information on a death cam (which can be a multitude of scenarios)

I'm far from a top player, and I'm sure theres some MCC players that would beat me on LAN. I'm not posting this to downplay anyones skills. I just thing there is actually quite a significant skill in being able to screen watch and apply that information instantly. Going from XBC to LAN helped me improve a lot, but even from then it wasn't till I started to constantly LAN with people better than me did I improve. I never felt that level of improvement while playing MCC, because I already knew the nade tricks and spawns but that isn't what I needed to improve on.

To use a different example, I went to a Shadowrun tournament at EsportsArena this past winter. When I played online I was ok, and played troll for a team that was all much better than me, against a team with much better players and the "best troll in the game". It was rough online because in Halo i was always a support player and in Shadowrun troll kind of goes at the right moments to clean up a fight that was already initiated. (there's no indicators on the map where your teammates are) I would hear gunfire knowing my teammate went in, I would go in to help him and he would instantly teleport out and run away, all in the course of literally a second. Communication can help but kill times and abilities are super fast so it's hard to communicate going in fighting and leaving all in a second. Basically at the tournament I was 10x better than I was online because I could screen watch. My character benefits too from sitting back a bit so I had extra time to do that all. I was able to call out every call out on my teammates screen that they for some reason didn't communicate. I could back out of my push at the last second cause i could visually see my teammate is preparing to back out. Nobody on my team was screen watching or even at the LAN in general. It was mind-blowing to me coming from an era it having such importance. Only one other person seemed to take advantage of it and it seemed like it boosted their gameplay too.

Hard to compare apples to apples for me as it has been so long since I've played on LAN - it may well be true that you're missing more spawn opportunities in MCC. Nowadays I personally keep a very close eye on the kill feed, which I think is a habit you develop playing single screen all the time. I'm never in a position where I'm thinking 'oh, you're spawning?' If my teammate gets a bad spawn, it's because I was stuck out of position and couldn't get him anything safe. (Either that or the game is jew'ing me out of a red random spawn on Hang 'em  :/ ). I often ask my teammate to count down his spawn if I'm trying to do something tricky like jumping off the tombstone at back red, but you develop a rhythm for it. I definitely get a certain sense of satisfaction out of getting really hard randoms like back shotty on Chilly, since it requires better coordination.

You're making a great point about split screen play though. I think playing with low information (single screen) takes a type of skill and awareness, but playing with high information takes even more. The latter elevates the average level of play across both teams, and so I'd rather be good at playing split. That's part of what makes LAN the better format - you want to see the absolute best that people can play.

I grew up going to the same school as Chris Smith, i.e. Shockwav3, and before he became captain of Team Carbon he was a filthy h1 player under the name RedAlert. I was the best player in my crew and it was humbling to play some 1v1s against him for the first time and get utterly stomped. But I remember being somewhat proud that when he came over to my house and we played a split screen 1v1 where we could see each other's screen (dumb format, I know), he ended up super frustrated at how well I was screen watching him, and I did much better. Screen watching is 100% a skill that can be cultivated. 

Anyway, I don't think you're offending anyone by suggesting the gap is bigger on LAN - Twisted himself confirms the same. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't being too humble. As an avid MCC player, I think the top players deserve some credit as being absolute beasts on their own turf, even if it is a slightly neutered version of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have the same monitor.  Using an RGB converter, camo is easier to see on OG xbox on that monitor than it is in MCC.  Obviously an OG xbox on a CRT is harder to see than in MCC on that monitor.

I have the same monitor.  Using an RGB converter, camo is easier to see on OG xbox on that monitor than it is in MCC.  Obviously an OG xbox on a CRT is harder to see than in MCC on that monitor.

I'm not sure I'm following you. I agree with the first statement; I have a vga converter and camo is SUPER easy to see on OG xbox with that monitor. But I also see camo on OG CRTs all the time. 

My ability to pick off camo on mcc might honestly be 1% of what it is under a normal lan setup. I literally cannot see it on mcc. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ske7chfactor is actually replying to a thread about MCC on reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/75bfvj/is_343_still_ignoring_the_mcc

Although there is not much actual content in his replies, there are some interesting tidbits:

My quest for a final call on MCC is not yet over. I'm fast approaching my one year anniversary at 343 and I feel for the first time an answer is nearly within reach. I still remain committed to providing a definitive answer, one way or the other, so we can all get on with our lives. :)

[...]

I'd love to see MCC get some love (and I don't know if it'll ever be possible to fix every single lingering issue and complaint - but I'd love to give it one more shot). But if it's not happening then my goal is to close the door and get one with our lives.

[...]

Every time I've tried to say "nothing will ever be done about the game" I've come to find that wasn't necessarily true. Trust me, I'm all for saying that as soon as folks will commit that's the case. Now I'm not so sure that is the case to be honest. I'm not spinning PR talk. I'm closer, I think, to a legitimate answer but still not at liberty to give that answer. There were a flurry of meetings 9 months ago and now, 9 months later, it's been a recurring topic again.

• Upvote (+1) 1