CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Yup. And it's honestly so damn frustrating. The only playlists where you can quickly find a game is Team Slayer and BTB, and it's 90% Halo 3. And what's worse is if Halo 3 doesn't get voted, you can bet your ass there will be quitters. I literally just got out of a game of TS where the options were CE Prisoner, Halo 2 Warlock BR's, and Halo 3 AR's on Snowbound. The votes were tied at 4 for Warlock and Snowbound, and it went to Warlock. By the time the game started my team had dropped 2 and the enemy team had dropped one. It made my head hurt. Three quitters because AR's on Snowbound wasn't being played, or more specifically, Halo 3 in general wasn't being played. 

This was/is my biggest problem with the game, literally could be a match with Team BRs Midship, AR start Guardian, and CE Chillout.. AR start guardian will get voted 100% of the time for me. It's so damn frustrating playing that garbage playlist. I mainly play Team Hardcore but I only play with a full team, so when I'm running solo, I mess around in the Team Slayer playlist. I don't mind playing H3, but it's like.. Why am I subjected to playing Last Resort AR start when we could've had Sanctuary BR start or CE Prisoner. And the moment any other game gets voted.. "Welp, I'm out."

• Upvote (+1) 4

I still think each game having a seperate menu and playlist would have been the best way. Top it off with a server browser, it would have been golden.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My favorite is when you match a team of 4 H3 kids that vote cold storage over sanctuary BRs, and you lose 47-50 while putting up 20ish kills. I got some trash talk messages, got them again, H2 Beaver Creek BRs. 50-24 with two teammates going 3-18 combined or so. And trash talk back, and all they say is 'H3'.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still think each game having a seperate menu and playlist would have been the best way. Top it off with a server browser, it would have been golden.

I've said before, the best thing would have been if players could checkmark which games they would like to search in each playlist. For instance, if I only want to search Halo 2 and Halo 3 in Big Team Battle, I could simply checkmark those two games and only match with other players who have one or both of those games checkmarked. This is actually how I thought(hoped) the game would be when it was announced.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've said before, the best thing would have been if players could checkmark which games they would like to search in each playlist. For instance, if I only want to search Halo 2 and Halo 3 in Big Team Battle, I could simply checkmark those two games and only match with other players who have one or both of those games checkmarked. This is actually how I thought(hoped) the game would be when it was announced.

That would be a cool feature, no doubt, but the problem there is that you would be cutting down the population even further into segregated groups when it's already very small. 

I think the focal point...where the problem lies is that there is no punishment or incentive not to quit out before the game/during etc. 

In Hardcore and Doubles (and H2C obviously) you are punished by selecting H2 when the other team quits, it literally counts as a quit-out loss (3 losses) against your rank when people quit mid-game and it goes black screen. Or they dodge pre-game and take a loss or whatever it is, or anyone can simply dodge safely by quitting the build during the loading bar. 

There is no repercussion. Personally I think there should be a ranked BTB and a social BTB playlist, not sure if that's feasible with the population numbers, but at least there would be some competitive games rather than slaughters. On top of this it's crucial that there needs to be an actual incentive not to quit/dodge....it should automatically be a 10-15 minute ban every single time you quit mid-game, and possibly even if quitting the build pre-game or during the loading screen is detectable.

But do we really expect 343 to address any real problems for this game? I was completely surprised that MCC was updated yesterday with Grifball. Every time I voted foundry my game crashed, and it's the farthest thing from what was needed as an update, but cool I guess. 

I quit playing Halo 5 in February-March ish, haven't looked back and I recently just got back into playing MCC regularly for the past few weeks. The updates that this game needed were: 

- Join-in progress custom games

- Ranked Lone Wolves/Rumble pit

- Ranked Snipers

- Ranked BTB possibly

- Dramatic decrease in AR/SMG starts

- Dramatic decrease in H4 weighting for Doubles and other playlists

- Halo 2 quit-loss glitch being fixed

- There is literally no level restriction / searching parameters

- Hit-detection on various games...etc. 

But we got Grifball. Obvious reasons as to why... 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Adds new griffball playlist then posts the new order of playlists based on population but somehow griffball isn't on the bottom...k.

Ce 4v4 was one of the few playlists I could get a game in, in under a minute before it was removed so I'll never accept it was removed for that reason. They just don't and haven't ever given a fuck about the series.

I don't think it will change automatically, I think its based off of playlist population over the last couple of months.

I agree but his point is, and I also found it humorous/odd that H3 Griffball was just immediately placed in ~3rd/4th place in terms of popularity based off nothing, based off assumption. 

I understand they want it to have exposure, being seen right away in the list, and I understand why they put it in, literally a sad attempt to make people buy copies of MCC to play griffball or to increase the population/activity by having griffball in there. 

I feel like I worded most of that terribly, but the point is there was no playlist population data for Griffball over the past months obviously, so why should it be placed in the top 3-5 automatically? 

Whatever though...it's just depressing arguing over and analyzing the flaws of a game that 343 clearly doesn't give a fuck about. 

I agree but his point is, and I also found it humorous/odd that H3 Griffball was just immediately placed in ~3rd/4th place in terms of popularity based off nothing, based off assumption. 

I understand they want it to have exposure, being seen right away in the list, and I understand why they put it in, literally a sad attempt to make people buy copies of MCC to play griffball or to increase the population/activity by having griffball in there. 

I feel like I worded most of that terribly, but the point is there was no playlist population data for Griffball over the past months obviously, so why should it be placed in the top 3-5 automatically? 

Whatever though...it's just depressing arguing over and analyzing the flaws of a game that 343 clearly doesn't give a fuck about. 

Fair points. Grifball is in Action Sack, I think so it might have come from that (if there was any thought put into it).

I get that people get worn out on H3, but at this point I'm so eager to just play a halo without spartan abilities and other crap I don't even care what players choose in MCC.

"Halo 3 AR starts for the 50th time? This is fine!" 

What this game desperately needs is a server browser with ranks visible so you can see what you're getting yourself in to.

Matchmaking doesn't cut it with a dead population. Bravo claims there are healthy matches but this is untrue for hardcore and CE. It takes very long sometimes and then I'll get matched with level 1s constantly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Kind of hard to have a healthy population with a broken game @@VinnyMendoza. CE is super broke and hardcore has h2v and h3 so theres always quitters when their game doesnt get picked

I get that people get worn out on H3, but at this point I'm so eager to just play a halo without spartan abilities and other crap I don't even care what players choose in MCC.

"Halo 3 AR starts for the 50th time? This is fine!" 

Well Halo 4 has sprint and spartan abilities and it's in MCC for the record. It sadly gets voted in doubles occasionally and I think it gets voted in BTB and other playlists (I don't hate Halo 4 blindly, but it's clearly the worst Halo title in my opinion. H2A/Vanilla Bloom/Sprint Reach are pretty bad too and arguably close), 

AR starts is terrible when you are playing anyone good or are having a competitive match with people near your skill-level, it ruins the skill-gap and gives inferior teams/players the chance to win via bullshit. Regular settings Halo 3 in general is pretty bad, AR starts is just horrendous really....not as bad as SMG starts in Halo 2, but it's really bad. 

It's not fine. The fact that every single Halo 3 objective gametype has AR starts for Halo 3 and Doubles is stupid. The fact that SMG starts or AR starts in general exist is stupid when Bungie admitted that SMG starts were a huge mistake for H2 back in the day etc. 

Personally I started playing Halo 1 technically, and I played a ton of Halo 2 and a ton of Halo 3, but I would identify as a "Halo 3 kid" probably, so I definitely don't mind Halo 3 for hardcore and even regular Halo 3 to some extent even though it's lowkey trash. But it's really annoying when I want to vote H2 in hardcore or doubles and the other team dodges or quits and gives "the winning team" a quit out loss due to a glitch. It's really annoying whenever I play big team to see great H2 maps get passed for Sand-Trap or a mediocre H3 BTB map that is overplayed. 

The problem is H2 is vista, Halo 3 has AR starts frequently and regular kinda sucks, H1 the shot registration is garbage IMO and the population is low/niche, Halo 4 shouldn't even be in MCC considering it was the last title before MCC, H2A sucks...lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really don't think population is as big a problem as most people think. Search times have been consistently OK for me. When it takes long, it's usually because the search bugs out. For example, if you have to wait for more than two minutes to find a match, chances are the search is bugged out (fixable by simply restarting the search).

Mixed playlists are NOT a solution for dwindling population. In fact I'd bet they're one of the contributing factors for the low population. I know I certainly wouldn't be playing the game if I was being forced to play a title I don't want to.

343 are hacks, plain and simple. They don't know how to design a good matchmaking/online platform and they certainly don't know how to make one adaptable for the varying player counts in each playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why won't they fix this fucking game?

Because realistically, there would be very little people that would return.

People still paid for the game tho. Don't care how many people return

They should feel obligated to fix it

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why won't they fix this fucking game?

They only care about money, they really don't seem to care about quality or the community that much. This was evident to me when they started releasing extremely high-cost points, yet real money optioned warzone packs, and since leaving H5 I heard they released team skins finally but they are only acquired through real money micros. 

I was going to preface this with I don't want to sound "conspiracy theorist-y" but it's really not...it's just obvious, they are a company, a shitty company, that cares about profits first. It's honestly mind-boggling to me how there was not a class-action lawsuit against 343 for shipping out and selling MCC for 60 dollars when the game didn't work for literally 4-6+ months, and still is partially broken to this day. 

I don't want to strictly be negative, but the whole "Hey, we got free DLC in Halo 5 to make up for it!" was bullshit too. While I played Halo 5, which was until February, the DLC was a joke. BTB was considered a huge dlc release for us, all the maps were community made, not one was a real map that 343 put effort and time into. The new Warzone map was only Battle of Noctus, which was a great warzone map but it re-used assets from Apex 7 and the Assault version was literally the same thing cut in half with a night-filter. They released SHIT-tastic maps for Arena like Overgrown(growth?) and Riptide, and the metal-space map that is trash. 

They focused more on making new and mostly shitty REQs so they could just increase their sales on Gold and special REQ packs. Yes they are a business, but it's still pathetic and disgraceful that are so bad that they put the Halo franchise on life-support. Bungie fucked up with Reach, but Halo 4 to broken MCC to launching an incomplete Halo 5 game that has lost a ton of interest already and has minimal effort put into adding content or quality updates is inexcusable and that's why I stopped playing it. 

Sorry went on a tangent, but the answer is never. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

True that, but when they are bundling this game with the new Xbox One S you would at least expect them to give those new players the best possible experience.

True that, but when they are bundling this game with the new Xbox One S you would at least expect them to give those new players the best possible experience.

Believe it or not most casuals believe it is fixed now and will mock you for suggesting otherwise. 343 probably feels they did "good enough". These are the type of people who have zero deep memory of how the originals played or never played them at all. Meanwhile the hardcore fans who gave up aren't even going to bother now so you don't hear their complaints as much.

They only care about money, they really don't seem to care about quality or the community that much. This was evident to me when they started releasing extremely high-cost points, yet real money optioned warzone packs, and since leaving H5 I heard they released team skins finally but they are only acquired through real money micros. 

I was going to preface this with I don't want to sound "conspiracy theorist-y" but it's really not...it's just obvious, they are a company, a shitty company, that cares about profits first. It's honestly mind-boggling to me how there was not a class-action lawsuit against 343 for shipping out and selling MCC for 60 dollars when the game didn't work for literally 4-6+ months, and still is partially broken to this day. 

I don't want to strictly be negative, but the whole "Hey, we got free DLC in Halo 5 to make up for it!" was bullshit too. While I played Halo 5, which was until February, the DLC was a joke. BTB was considered a huge dlc release for us, all the maps were community made, not one was a real map that 343 put effort and time into. The new Warzone map was only Battle of Noctus, which was a great warzone map but it re-used assets from Apex 7 and the Assault version was literally the same thing cut in half with a night-filter. They released SHIT-tastic maps for Arena like Overgrown(growth?) and Riptide, and the metal-space map that is trash. 

They focused more on making new and mostly shitty REQs so they could just increase their sales on Gold and special REQ packs. Yes they are a business, but it's still pathetic and disgraceful that are so bad that they put the Halo franchise on life-support. Bungie fucked up with Reach, but Halo 4 to broken MCC to launching an incomplete Halo 5 game that has lost a ton of interest already and has minimal effort put into adding content or quality updates is inexcusable and that's why I stopped playing it. 

Sorry went on a tangent, but the answer is never. 

Crooked 343 has destroyed this franchise. Can't wait for Halo 6 to come out and completely flop.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People still paid for the game tho. Don't care how many people return

They should feel obligated to fix it

Totally, but why bother fixing it when no more revenue is going to come from it?

Not trying to be a shill or anything but that's their stance, I guess.

I really don't think population is as big a problem as most people think. Search times have been consistently OK for me. When it takes long, it's usually because the search bugs out. For example, if you have to wait for more than two minutes to find a match, chances are the search is bugged out (fixable by simply restarting the search).

About once a month I get on and a search (any playlist) will be taking more than 5 minutes, no matter how many times I restart the search.  At this point I always think, "well I guess the population is finally dead."  Every time, I hard reset the xbox and then get a match in less than 30 seconds once I start searching again and don't have the problem again for another month or so.  I imagine any people that don't regularly play mcc have that one long search, assume the game is dead, and never play again.  

I think you're right about the population.  I'd be really curious to see the actual playlist numbers as opposed to 343 just ordering the playlists based on population.  

Totally, but why bother fixing it when no more revenue is going to come from it?

Bungie patched Halo PC after years of zero-support. The game is easily pirate-able and the master server doesn't even authenticate CD keys anymore. Zero profit.

I'm not saying it's possible that 343 will follow suit. In fact I fully expect them not to. But this modern practice of dropping support for games that still have a playerbase is disgusting.

I'm sure you're just playing devil's advocate though. Their decision to drop support for the game and cut their losses makes sense financially, but they'll never win back the respect of the longtime hardcore fans unless they make good on at least some of their promises.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The more people playing halo, the more people talking about halo, the more people buying halo, the more people who get hyped for the next halos. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think Moa is playing devil's advocate, he's saying why 343/MS doesn't care. They have no integrity. They only care about short term cash flow.

• Upvote (+1) 1