CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I see you're looking for confirmation bias, but I never insinuated either of those things.

The facts remains; the numbers are unknown. But when asking "Why?", I surmise the reason is because the sales were well short of expectations.

As for the $300 M for not only development... and marketing... & continued maintenance; it was just a number. Replace it with one of your choosing if you like.

We both know why the player count is kept private.

Now if you'd be so kind as to comment on the lack of awards, critical acclaim. I'd really like to hear that explained away.

The numbers are unknown, I realize that, but it's still Halo. This game didn't sell 100,000 copies. I don't know why it's difficult for you to believe this game could sell several million. I'm fully aware of everything that goes into a budget (not just with game development, but with ANY budget because I work for a company that deals with contract budgets and you have to include many different components -- marketing being one) and even with the marketing, $300M is extremely high for this game. That's what I was getting at with that point.

Now if I would be so kind to comment on the lack of awards? Umm.. The game is ass. I don't know why you're making a statement as if I don't already know that the game sucks lol. Hence why the player count is private.. Because player retention is terrible compared to the previous Halos. But like I said, player retention is a different story.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Now if I would be so kind to comment on the lack of awards? Umm.. The game is ass. I don't know why you're making a statement as if I don't already know that the game sucks lol. Hence why the player count is private.. Because player retention is terrible compared to the previous Halos. But like I said, player retention is a different story.

I would argue otherwise. From what I've seen, Halo 5 looks fun. The monotonous textures on every Arena map designed to push people towards Warzone aren't fooling anybody. Maybe that's why player retention is crap.

Or maybe it's because individuals like myself refuse to pick up another Xbox≈Halo until staffing changes are made, this game is fixed, & a meaningful public apology issued with explanation provided. Yep.

I'd say people like us make up less than 10% of the potential market. Most people aren't looking for a staffing change or apology. They just want a good halo game with features.

I'd say people like us make up less than 10% of the potential market. Most people aren't looking for a staffing change or apology. They just want a good halo game with features.

The people who are boycotting the product are by and large the minority. But if it was only a 10% reduction in sales, they wouldn't be withholding data.

I just read E3 attendance was down this year. Perhaps, everybody except the journalists - who receive free codes - are getting tired of the DLC crap Activision began back in '06 with CoD3.

It was a 50% reduction in sales minimum. We know that. Probably more.

Has nothing to do with the hardcore fanbase, look how many spineless people even here continue to support 343 by pre-ordering it. Sorry guys, love ya but nothing will change if we keep handing over our money regardless. Anyway, it has more to do with the fanbase that liked halo's unique gameplay and social features which have since been completely abandoned by 343. Players would be retained if people enjoyed the gameplay. They clearly do not. Only maybe 10% of the population likes the game enough to play for more than 5 months which is really bad. After halo 4 people realized the series multiplayer was going down the tubes so it lost tons of fans. Now halo 5 has had almost the same problem. Will 343 continue to insist on terrible mechanics and features that fail to retain players? Or will they make a bold leap to the past?

• Upvote (+1) 3

It was a 50% reduction in sales minimum. We know that. Probably more.

Has nothing to do with the hardcore fanbase, look how many spineless people even here continue to support 343 by pre-ordering it. Sorry guys, love ya but nothing will change if we keep handing over our money regardless. Anyway, it has more to do with the fanbase that liked halo's unique gameplay and social features which have since been completely abandoned by 343. Players would be retained if people enjoyed the gameplay. They clearly do not. Only maybe 10% of the population likes the game enough to play for more than 5 months which is really bad. After halo 4 people realized the series multiplayer was going down the tubes so it lost tons of fans. Now halo 5 has had almost the same problem. Will 343 continue to insist on terrible mechanics and features that fail to retain players? Or will they make a bold leap to the past?

You also have to take into account people did enjoy Halo 4.

Like I said, maybe 10% enjoyed the multiplayer enough to stick around and play sporadically.

I actually played it consistently for like two years .

I actually played it consistently for like two years .

As did I. Certainly didn't make their post-launch DLC support any easier to stomach.

As did I. Certainly didn't make their post-launch DLC support any easier to stomach.

Totally didn't buy the Game of the Year edition just so my avatar could have the Master Chief Cloak <_<
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Totally didn't buy the Game of the Year edition just so my avatar could have the Master Chief Cloak <_<

Almost forgot about that. I've gotten so accustomed to harboring negativity towards that MS division, that the reasons are sometimes forgotten.

That was the edition which carried that extra map pack - the one excluded from the season pass.

Their final piece of work should be a book entitled "How to Disappoint Fans, Drive them Away, and Ruin a Beloved Franchise"

Almost forgot about that. I've gotten so accustomed to harboring negativity towards that MS division, that the reasons are sometimes forgotten.

That was the edition which carried that extra map pack - the one excluded from the season pass.

Their final piece of work should be a book entitled "How to Disappoint Fans, Drive them Away, and Ruin a Beloved Franchise"

Honestly that map pack was pretty dope.

Kind of random, but I was playing around with Windows Dreamscene and made a looping animated background of the Damnation waterfalls for Windows 7. 

You can get the Dreamscene activator here, and the video file here. To fix the transparent desktop text, go to your desktop options and set your background as a solid color "black", then enable the Dreamscene again.

If you're using Windows 10, you can do a little VLC wallpaper mode hack to make it work. Paste the following text into Notepad (changing the file path near the end, and/or the Program Files folder for 64-bit machines), then save it as a .bat file and run it. Warning though, this does not work properly if you use multiple monitors. 

c:
cd\
cd C:\Program Files (x86)
cd VideoLAN
cd VLC
vlc.exe --no-video-title-show --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen -f --no-video-title-show --repeat --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen --video-wallpaper "c:/insert/path/to/video/file/here.wmv"
exit

You can save this .bat somewhere and then add it as a startup task in the Task Scheduler (I can give directions on how to do this if need be). 

I can make more if these if anybody wants a particular scene/viewpoint/etc. 

EDIT: Here's a proof of concept video (ignore the random Twitch audio). https://www.mediafire.com/?aexeqc2oiutekw1

Kind of random, but I was playing around with Windows Dreamscene and made a looping animated background of the Damnation waterfalls for Windows 7. 

You can get the Dreamscene activator here, and the video file here. To fix the transparent desktop text, go to your desktop options and set your background as a solid color "black", then enable the Dreamscene again.

If you're using Windows 10, you can do a little VLC wallpaper mode hack to make it work. Paste the following text into Notepad (changing the file path near the end, and/or the Program Files folder for 64-bit machines), then save it as a .bat file and run it. Warning though, this does not work properly if you use multiple monitors. 

c:
cd\
cd C:\Program Files (x86)
cd VideoLAN
cd VLC
vlc.exe --no-video-title-show --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen -f --no-video-title-show --repeat --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen --video-wallpaper "c:/insert/path/to/video/file/here.wmv"
exit
You can save this .bat somewhere and then add it as a startup task in the Task Scheduler (I can give directions on how to do this if need be). 

I can make more if these if anybody wants a particular scene/viewpoint/etc. 

EDIT: Here's a proof of concept video (ignore the random Twitch audio). https://www.mediafire.com/?aexeqc2oiutekw1

yeah couldn't make it a perfect loop could ya? don't like master chief's hands moving. especially since my taskbar is transparent.

yeah couldn't make it a perfect loop could ya? don't like master chief's hands moving. especially since my taskbar is transparent.

I like the pistol shake. :P I can always take it out. 

Thank you bbe.

Though this has just proven that my graphics card is shit... Well I think it is anyway. Playing anything not in full window will make my fps drop hard. Tho all i have to do is maximize my browser and play over it.

Thank you bbe.

Though this has just proven that my graphics card is shit... Well I think it is anyway. Playing anything not in full window will make my fps drop hard. Tho all i have to do is maximize my browser and play over it.

It could be your CPU instead of your graphics card, because I don't think Dreamscene knows how to offload to it. Run Task Manager while Dreamscene is running and check your CPU usage. 

It could be your CPU instead of your graphics card, because I don't think Dreamscene knows how to offload to it. Run Task Manager while Dreamscene is running and check your CPU usage.

33% cpu from explorer

So is the h1 playlist, or just mcc in general, dead? I've been caught up with real life for the last few months and just got on for the first time (and on the forums!) in a while and haven't been able to find a single game.