CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

There was a time when halo was more popular than all of those on Xbox. Lack of popularity of the console was no excuse for the first three haloes.

That's true. But look at today's market. 3rd party games completely dominate everything. Back when Halo was the biggest thing on consoles, 1st party was the most important. Now the market is which console runs the best 3rd party games. 

Why do you guys think halo 5 sold poorly again??

I think it did good. Factoring in the sheer amount of competition. Battlefront, cod, fallout, tombraider. Plus the lack of Xbox One popularity. Sure Halo popularity has taken a hit. But it still did good, all things considered.

The main reason for Xbox One's lack of popularity is because of how terrible 343's Halo games have been. MCC and Halo 5 are pure garbage. Halo used to be what separated Xbox from the competition. Not anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why do you guys think halo 5 sold poorly again??

I think it did good. Factoring in the sheer amount of competition. Battlefront, cod, fallout, tombraider. Plus the lack of Xbox One popularity. Sure Halo popularity has taken a hit. But it still did good, all things considered.

Read this thread: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/11011-halo-5-salesnpd-results-discussion-and-the-future-of-halo/

None of the arguments that you listed excuse the extremely poor sales. Halo 3 was released in 07, widely regarded as one of the best years in gaming and when the 360 was out for as long as the xbone is now, and yet it sold more than any other halo game. Why? Because the two games that came before weren't complete disappointments.

• Upvote (+1) 8

That's true. But look at today's market. 3rd party games completely dominate everything. Back when Halo was the biggest thing on consoles, 1st party was the most important. Now the market is which console runs the best 3rd party games.

COD, fallout, battlefront, gta etc etc didn't exist when other massively popular halo games were out?

Read this thread: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/11011-halo-5-salesnpd-results-discussion-and-the-future-of-halo/

None of the arguments that you listed excuse the extremely poor sales. Halo 3 was released in 07, widely regarded as one of the best years in gaming and when the 360 was out for as long as the xbone is now, and yet it sold more than any other halo game. Why? Because the two games that came before weren't complete disappointments.

While I think that the MCC problems and 4 not retaining an online presence were apart of it, I think there are a lot of other factors involved.

A couple posts in that thread Jawshe explain it pretty well actually.

Halo is burning out as a series

Its not drawing in as many people as it use to due to its competition (face it in 2001-2007 there wasn't huge competition to Halo 1-3, Sony's online component was a joke, PC gaming wasn't booming, and even bigger titles didn't hold much of a candle to Halo. Its just not the same anymore)

Countless games do individual factors a lot better than Halo

Xbox One flopped. Tons of people jumped to Sony/PC

PC gaming is on the rise

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/11011-halo-5-salesnpd-results-discussion-and-the-future-of-halo/?do=findComment&comment=612207

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Nokt part of the problem is halo isn't leading the pack anymore. It is following. And it is broken fundamentally with buggy launches and missing features.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Nokt part of the problem is halo isn't leading the pack anymore. It is following. And it is broken fundamentally with buggy launches and missing features.

Oh definitely. I was just summarizing what Jawshe said in the thread because it was a good post.

Don't know if this is common knowledge, but the website "Glasswalls.com" has about 16 anonymous reviews from former 343i employees: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/343-Industries-Reviews-E564375.htm

(You need to register/log in to get 10 days free access to the reviews.)

Some highlights that might be of relevance to the story behind recent 343i games, including MCC and H5:

Could you just post all 16?

I remember that. Lol at widening the search range..... It's been 0-50 since day one. Idiots.

Exactly my thoughts, i am just waiting on that Head to Head playlist that they have been talking about for months lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Im trying to do a few legendary runs for achievements next weekend if anyone is interested?

There was a time when halo was more popular than all of those on Xbox. Lack of popularity of the console was no excuse for the first three haloes.

This, a thousand times. People, in droves, used to buy XBox just for Halo. And don't fool yourself, Halo has ALWAYS had competition - it just destroyed it because is was so damn fun. IMHO 343 always seems to forget to put the fun in.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Standoff hardly comes up for me, wish I saw it more. My favourite H3 map.

But lol at 4v4 Cold Storage and Epitaph, and where are the Sandbox variants. 

Maybe 1 out of 10 games I play are competitive. Also like someone mentioned objective is complete trash which is a real shame....

Just purchased this game and will start playing tomorrow.

I bought it for $10.91

Enjoy! Best collection out there. Even with the problems.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well how about this...

@@Sal1ent,

Apparently 343 hires individuals as contractors right? Where do I apply?

• 3+ years professional experience working as a developer/team lead on multiple development projects.
  • Very proficient in C++, JavaScript, PHP, batch/bash scripting, and CMake scripting.
  • Experienced in cross platform development environment.
  • Experienced in development and deployment on Linux, Unix, and Windows platforms.
  • Trained in the Agile/Scrum development process.
  • Configuration Management in Agile Process.
  • Efficient with multiple versioning applications such as Subversion and Git (Currently our division's Subversion & Configuration Manager).
  • Limited experience, but have worked with C#, Java, and C.

Resume and multiple references available upon request; and yes, I'm serious.

Yes, I'm familiar with 343's jobs page but I'm actually looking for a different position aside from the ones posted. I would actually be interested in becoming a "maintainer" if you will, for Halo: Master Chief Collection. I will dedicate my time to at least ensure that the population who are still playing this game are actually getting the most quality game types, playlists, updates (if possible) possible... And furthermore, I will do all of this for free. And once again, yes, I'm serious. If I'm able to do whatever I can to help make this game better, I will be willing to do so. I don't need to be paid for it because Halo and programming/development is what I love to do and usually what I'm doing anyway in my spare time.

Obviously this is rather informal, but I'll do anything to make this game better, or Halo in general.

Hire this man.

• Upvote (+1) 1