CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Thanks.  Gonna try to slow some things down for new ones.

this was in my sub box and I saw "priz 2v2 commentary" looked at the timestamp and it was 18mins. I was so confused

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks.  Gonna try to slow some things down for new ones.

Oh man.. This is amazing! I've actually gone through and watched them over again within the last week and I was able to take away a lot from the videos but I've been trying to keep my eye out for criticisms for your videos. What you do is great, so I don't know just how much time/effort you want to put into these videos but I had two main pieces of criticism.

1) I wanted you to slow down the video and explain some of the thought process and run through some possible scenarios in game.

2) Suggest that you watch the video prior to commentating.

I'm incredibly thrilled that you did #1. I think it makes it a lot easier for newer players to understand all the little nuances and allows you to give better explanations. I watch every video till the end I don't care how long it is. This particular prisoner video somehow was easier for my friend to understand than any other video. I guess he can't watch both screens and really understand the spawn system but was starting to understand what the thought process is like. Thanks a million.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am happy this thread is not completely dead, shout out to all of y'all that keep the game alive (its basically on life support LMAO)

Should run some dere FFA's with ya guys in here sometime

I am happy this thread is not completely dead, shout out to all of y'all that keep the game alive (its basically on life support LMAO)

Should run some dere FFA's with ya guys in here sometime

Pfft, if you want to play FFA against me you better like losing.

(I'm actually trash, please go easy)

playing FFA and 4s til about midnightish (EST) if anyone from TB wants to join.

XBL: sk0ls is lit or hit me up on twitter @sk0lss.

playing FFA and 4s til about midnightish (EST) if anyone from TB wants to join.

XBL: sk0ls is lit or hit me up on twitter @sk0lss.

Only join if you wanna play 4s on Desolation or Backwash...

• Downvote (-1) 1

Only join if you wanna play 4s on Desolation or Backwash...

This is why we don't have nice things.

Yes we took some time to test some new game types to play for a friendly pick up league i hope to start in the near future. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes we took some time to test some new game types to play for a friendly pick up league i hope to start in the near future.

I am glad you are taking that initiative.

You got a good pool of players you think would be interested? Would hate to see effort go to waste

I am glad you are taking that initiative.

You got a good pool of players you think would be interested? Would hate to see effort go to waste

there have been a decent amount of people interested i just need to nail down 11 gametypes to match the 11 from 2007, then each week we would draft teams and play a mix of the two. It's not anything serious i'm just looking for ways to keep the game fresh for older players who are sick of lockout/midship. It's also good for players newer to MCC because they don't have the attachment to the old maps that some one like me might. I could play warlock 4s all day but alot of newer guys don't have that old map bias and get tired of them quicker.

• Upvote (+1) 2

there have been a decent amount of people interested i just need to nail down 11 gametypes to match the 11 from 2007, then each week we would draft teams and play a mix of the two. It's not anything serious i'm just looking for ways to keep the game fresh for older players who are sick of lockout/midship. It's also good for players newer to MCC because they don't have the attachment to the old maps that some one like me might. I could play warlock 4s all day but alot of newer guys don't have that old map bias and get tired of them quicker.

Absolutely man, I like the semi-casual, semi-competitive angle, could really draw new players in

Its a good way of keeping H2 going and if you can get some new blood w/ old its always a good thing. So you're basically doing a more laid back version version of MLG gametpes? Only issue I might see is people turned off by the competitive nature of the game and having to keep up, might make it harder for newer players to get into. Wish you luck though homes

Absolutely man, I like the semi-casual, semi-competitive angle, could really draw new players in

Its a good way of keeping H2 going and if you can get some new blood w/ old its always a good thing. So you're basically doing a more laid back version version of MLG gametpes? Only issue I might see is people turned off by the competitive nature of the game and having to keep up, might make it harder for newer players to get into. Wish you luck though homes

In my experience the best way to get better is to get beat down just for the record.

The new gametypes are designed to be enjoyable games to play but to also have the potential to get serious if that's the direction the lobby is headed. It's more of a go by feel thing - which is mostly how we run fours now anyways - there's a different vibe in every lobby so it's never the same type of games. If we do matchups or draft teams and people are wanting to sweat then the parties are getting separated and we're trying our nuts off. other times we'll all stay in party chat and call out but not take the games too seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my experience the best way to get better is to get beat down just for the record.

The new gametypes are designed to be enjoyable games to play but to also have the potential to get serious if that's the direction the lobby is headed. It's more of a go by feel thing - which is mostly how we run fours now anyways - there's a different vibe in every lobby so it's never the same type of games. If we do matchups or draft teams and people are wanting to sweat then the parties are getting separated and we're trying our nuts off. other times we'll all stay in party chat and call out but not take the games too seriously.

Sounds like you've got a good thing going then

When you plan on starting it up officially?

Just set up my xbox again, might be interested in playing some if you're interested. I'm god awful now, but it'll still be fun.

What have you tested and what seems to work? I think a lot of people kinda forget how awful Halo's settings were in 2005 to early 2006. Let's not forget that Gemeni TS, Ivory Tower TS and Backwash TS were MLG gametypes at one point in time.

I'm not quite sure what could work, but I'm glad to see some people are testing out some newer gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like this approach, it's similar to what I'm doing with my Halo PC group. Competitive gametypes but not necessarily super-competitive games. Depends on whether people want to split up into different voice channels or not. I think a lot of people fail to realize how much more fun proper gametypes are compared to the drivel that many players are used to. For example, CE's MLG TS 2v2 gametype is standard stuff for the Xbox players in my group, but a lot of long-time PC players are now being turned on to proper settings and having a ton of fun.

There's a sweaty, try-hard stigma around the gametypes that are played at the highest level, but that doesn't mean the very same gametypes can't be enjoyed by lower-level players. The same logic can certainly be applied to all the games in the series, the only thing that changes in this regard is the learning curve (ex: 2v2 CE has a VERY steep learning curve if you're going to be playing against players that know all the spawns in a map, but H2 won't be as problematic for new players to come and try proper settings).

• Upvote (+1) 3

What have you tested and what seems to work? I think a lot of people kinda forget how awful Halo's settings were in 2005 to early 2006. Let's not forget that Gemeni TS, Ivory Tower TS and Backwash TS were MLG gametypes at one point in time.

I'm not quite sure what could work, but I'm glad to see some people are testing out some newer gametypes.

Some things were just off the table entirely from the beginning: Beaver creek supplemental gametypes, 4v4 maps like tombstone etc.

I first looked at old hardcore gametypes: Warlock neutral, warlock ball, hill gametypes etc. and nailed down some pretty easy additions like Middy King - It's a fun gametype that, in my mind, has all the requirements of other middy gametypes (Strong movement, awareness, teamwork and individual shot ability). Plus it had some history in professsional play that i thought would make transitioning easier. I also think king suits this version of halo 2 better in a lot of ways. But it also is hurt in a lot of ways. Regardless, that gametype is most similar to what people are being exposed to in modern FPS e-sports outside of halo.

The problem is that only a handful of those gametypes are legitimate and good maps that work competitively outside of Lockout/middy/warlock/sanc/BC are virtually nonexistent. The core thing for me is that this isn't the same game as halo 2 and this isn't the same time period as 2005-2007. The game has evolved whether people want to admit it or not and that means that playstyles and general strategy are different (not saying better or worse, just different). Backwash, in my opinion, is a really strong map that suits more modern gameplay and has a much heavier focus on individual fire power and working team shot. You don't spawn with nades and if you spawn out then it's literally you and your BR vs. and that's always been my favorite part of halo 2 is beating out the 1v2 or some other disadvantageous position, so i'm definitely partial to that map. The big issue with it back in the day was the frame dropping, it was just tough to run because the atmospheres made the map laggy. I don't feel that problem on MCC and think King is a good gametype on it. slayer is pretty random but fun. i think flag would be the best game type on it.

the biggest issue right now is weapon set/power up etc. I like camo on BW because it's hard to see and feels like camo, but i don't like sword's spawn location or it's influence on the game. I have one gametype spawning rockets bottom mid and camo top mid and one with just rockets. I felt like rockets was a much stronger power up for the map because of it's finite impact (only 4 rockets) and the fact that BW's features as a map make rockets harder to use than a map like BC, and also will allow you to punish poor rockets easier.

Anything desolation is officially off the board. it's just not a good map for halo 2 + the spawn areas and system are bad on all gametypes... unfortunately that's how most of the maps are.

Overall I want backwash to function as the 2016 midship with alot of the core gametypes running on that map. The problem is peoples perception of new gametypes. people see "different" and equate that with "bad" right away so it's really hard to get unbiased opinions and even get people to run the games in the first place. Alot of the gametypes are simply not as good as the core 11 from 2007 but there are some that are a lot of fun and some that i think easily can be just as competitive.

mostly where i'm at right now, sorry for the disorganized wall just hoping to get some input.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I personally feel like ivory tower TS is fine

• Upvote (+1) 2

One of my boys has been searching Slayer 4s on H3 every day for the last week and finding games... Yet I get on this and search for 20 minutes and get nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

One of my boys has been searching Slayer 4s on H3 every day for the last week and finding games... Yet I get on this and search for 20 minutes and get nothing.

If you're searching, particularly in a popular playlist (team slayer, etc), and it doesn't find players fairly quickly, or grinds, finds players, but never completes the search and starts dropping players, then quit and restart the build. Oddly enough, I tend to have this problem when I first load the game. If I quit out and come back in though I can get games. It's strange but give it a try.

• Upvote (+1) 2