CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Nor does it feel good shootting someone 8+times to only have them 3 you while walking in a straight line.

Can't argue with you there. I don't know if I'm articulating it properly but the shot registration in MCC seems very inconsistent. Like even within a match it seems to change or drop shots or something. Can someone explain this better?

Besides the abilities, less skillful players can't get as many kills on you as they would  get in Halo 5.

Well that's what it's been about since Halo 2 right? Removing as many predictable elements from the game as possible, narrowing the skillgap and stopping nerds like us from exploiting them and crushing new players? Therefore keeping said new players away from other games and selling them DLC? Am I wrong?

Besides the abilities, less skillful players can't get as many kills on you as they would  get in Halo 5.

In h5 it's shoot 1-2-3-4-thrust. Out of position? Thrust around a wall. Falling off the map? Thrust!

:bravo:

Can't argue with you there. I don't know if I'm articulating it properly but the shot registration in MCC seems very inconsistent. Like even within a match it seems to change or drop shots or something. Can someone explain this better?

Well that's what it's been about since Halo 2 right? Removing as many predictable elements from the game as possible, narrowing the skillgap and stopping nerds like us from exploiting them and crushing new players? Therefore keeping said new players away from other games and selling them DLC? Am I wrong?

From the time I've put into the game I would say every match has its own variance in regards to lead and shooting in general. The pistol is very inconsistent however the Sniper lead is not. 

Needless to say, once you play the same person more than 3 times, you know what to expect against them. To the point where there are some people you will never beat simply due to their connection. 

From the time I've put into the game I would say every match has its own variance in regards to lead and shooting in general. The pistol is very inconsistent however the Sniper lead is not. 

Needless to say, once you play the same person more than 3 times, you know what to expect against them. To the point where there are some people you will never beat simply due to their connection.

Yeah that sounds about right. *If* they ever fix this issue (and I won't hold my breath) I would love to see a rank reset.

Yeah that sounds about right. *If* they ever fix this issue (and I won't hold my breath) I would love to see a rank reset.

A part of it is the fact that its online. Some things can't really be helped. At the end of the day I'm happy playing CE online, even if its not the OG experience. I have no one in my area to LAN with so its all I've got. 

In regards of Ranks, some people cheesed to a 50, though you know when you're playing a good player. When you get up from your seat there is a pool of blood. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just remember that one of the few parts of MCC that 343 worked on THEMSELVES was the networking, which is the MOST BROKEN part.

never mind the fact that each version of the ports are the worst versions and not exactly as I remember it ten years ago.

A part of it is the fact that its online. Some things can't really be helped.

Judging from the fact that the shooting is more consistent with a community-made mod I'm using in my Halo PC server, I would argue that some things CAN be helped and that 343i just doesn't have the competence/budget/motivation/all of the above to look into it.

Judging from the fact that the shooting is more consistent with a community-made mod I'm using in my Halo PC server, I would argue that some things CAN be helped and that 343i just doesn't have the competence/budget/motivation/all of the above to look into it.

For that mod however does it not also depend on player ping while being within your server? Does that even make sense? 

I'm no brain child when it comes to networking nor how that mode changed things. 

Confirmed Halo PC noob. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

For that mod however does it not also depend on player ping while being within your server? Does that even make sense? 

I'm no brain child when it comes to networking nor how that mode changed things. 

Confirmed Halo PC noob.

Ha it's voodoo to me too. Fortunately there are some smarter minds out there to figure all this stuff out. Here's a thread that describes the specific shot-lead script that I'm using: http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/5647-stable-lead/

Quotes from that thread:

The only advantage it would give you is that you only need to overcompensate your aiming as much as someone with only 33ms of ping on vanilla Halo.

For example, a player is walking exactly tangent to your line of sight, and you are going to shoot them with a pistol.

Constants:

Halo's timing is around 30 ticks per second, so 1/30 seconds per tick * 1s * 1000ms/s = 33 + 1/3 ms or ~33.3ms.

One world unit (the distance between 0,0,0 and 0,0,1) is equal to 3 meters.

The pistol bullet speed is 10 world units per second, or 30 meters per second.

The player's maximum running speed on a flat surface is 2.25 world units per second, or 6.75 meters per second.

Variables:

Let's assume the worst case scenario, where Halo's input lag forces you to wait one tick (~33.3ms) before you can fire.

Let's also assume your ping is 267ms. To round it up to the nearest tick: ceil(267ms * 30 ticks per second) / 30 ticks per second = 0.3 seconds.

Let's also assume that your target is 60 meters away and is moving at maximum running speed on a flat surface. ceil(60/30) = 2, which means it will take 2 additional ticks before the bullet will reach the player, or ~66.6ms.

Let's also assume that you are standing still.

Time until your bullet hits your target = ~33.3ms + ~66.6ms + 0.3 seconds = 0.4 seconds.

Lead required for a direct hit without bullet magnetism on vanilla Halo = 0.4 seconds * 6.75 meters per second = 2.700 meters

Lead required for a direct hit without bullet magnetism with no-lead enabled = (0.4 seconds - 0.3 seconds) * 6.75 meters per second = 0.675 meters

Lead required for a direct hit without bullet magnetism with lead forced at 33ms = (0.4 seconds - 0.3 seconds + ceil(33ms * 30 ticks per second) / 30 ticks per second) * 6.75 meters per second = 0.900 meters

You're going to still be at a disadvantage at a higher ping due to an increased latency for you to react to something, but you don't have to aim any farther than anyone else. I'm not an expert on this, so there may be some variables I could have possibly missed. It's just a rough estimate.

For the less technically-inclined:

No-lead has the advantage of, well, you don't need to lead. This makes gameplay more "fair" to people who would have bad pings (and need to lead a lot) or erratic pings (and need to lead varying amounts).

But some people don't like no-lead. Simulating 33ms ping uses the same mechanism as no-lead, but does require you lead a little bit. It's about the same as if everyone was on LAN. This makes gameplay more fair to those with bad pings, without completely removing the need to lead on your shots.

I think MCC is using the standard no-lead mod's method, which can introduce reverse-lead (what causes getting killed behind walls). With this mod, since everyone has to lead the same amount (33ms instead of "zero"), it significantly reduces cases of players getting killed after they've gotten behind cover (happens to me a lot in MCC).

Watching it now.

It scares me that he's an 18 and I could potentially run into him :wutface:

You could potentially run into him if he was a 50 for how good the skill matching is
  • Upvote (+1) 3

never mind the fact that each version of the ports are the worst versions and not exactly as I remember it ten years ago.

Hey, that's not true! MCC Halo 4 is just like I remember it!

Ha it's voodoo to me too. Fortunately there are some smarter minds out there to figure all this stuff out. Here's a thread that describes the specific shot-lead script that I'm using: http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/5647-stable-lead/

Quotes from that thread:

For the less technically-inclined:

I think MCC is using the standard no-lead mod's method, which can introduce reverse-lead (what causes getting killed behind walls). With this mod, since everyone has to lead the same amount (33ms instead of "zero"), it significantly reduces cases of players getting killed after they've gotten behind cover (happens to me a lot in MCC).

That last part. 

Is to this day the one thing that makes me debate on if I should turn my box off or not. 

Well shit. In that case. Why the fuck haven't they? It's the PC port.... I don't imagine it would break the game....well.....maybe....you never know with the goofy patches we've been given before.

Hey, that's not true! MCC Halo 4 is just like I remember it!

it's just as sinful as before. Yay.

Negative fam.

MCC CE (specifically, the 2v2 playslist) will always hold a special place in my heart. Without it, myself and hundreds of others would never have had a chance to play against you nerds and be forced to learn the metagame. Every time someone here says anything along the lines of "MCC isn't even worth playing," or "MCC isn't the same game" it makes me laugh, because no one seems to realize how many new players we got since it launched. Say what you will about 343i, but there are more CE players now than ever thanks to them. Sure it could be better, and they're still a shit company. But people can actually play CE 2v2 at a relatively high-level without buying a 16-year old console and CRT TV, not to mention the fact that they'll need to convince others in their area to do the same if they want to get the best experience.

While I do like being able to play CE online easily I'm still gonna rage for a minute.

343 gets zero credit for "all the people playing CE now" because they fell so far below what they could have done. I'm not even talking about MCC, but CEA. We could have had a ton more players playing CE. 360 had a much larger install base than the X1 and we could have had a working CE on that machine.

If I was in charge of producing CEA I still would have done the map pack for Reach but would have worked a bit more at making it more similar to CE play. That would be a good stepping stone for introducing new players - who could then go into CE Classic playlist.

But no, instead we get a low effort map pack, with a ton of gameplay comprimises, generating almost no interest for true CE gameplay. And then the big MCC fuckup... disgusting.

I can only imagine where we could be right now if they had gotten CEA right on the 360, and MCC right on the X1 - the fanbase would demand that style of play in future titles. Instead we have all of the users of the only competitive Halo forum forming 12-man Warzone parties.

• Upvote (+1) 6

While I do like being able to play CE online easily I'm still gonna rage for a minute.

343 gets zero credit for "all the people playing CE now" because they fell so far below what they could have done. I'm not even talking about MCC, but CEA. We could have had a ton more players playing CE. 360 had a much larger install base than the X1 and we could have had a working CE on that machine.

If I was in charge of producing CEA I still would have done the map pack for Reach but would have worked a bit more at making it more similar to CE play. That would be a good stepping stone for introducing new players - who could then go into CE Classic playlist.

But no, instead we get a low effort map pack, with a ton of gameplay comprimises, generating almost no interest for true CE gameplay. And then the big MCC fuckup... disgusting.

I can only imagine where we could be right now if they had gotten CEA right on the 360, and MCC right on the X1 - the fanbase would demand that style of play in future titles. Instead we have all of the users of the only competitive Halo forum forming 12-man Warzone parties.

Yeah the missed opportunity still hurts. They dropped the ball hard. Don't worry I won't be applauding them anytime soon.

But I'll still be playing CE in whatever way I can, be it MCC or on PC with all the fixes I posted in the other thread, and I'm still glad there are at least some more players than if the game was never ported at all.

@@OGRE2 is streaming Halo CE.

Watching it now.

It scares me that he's an 18 and I could potentially run into him  :wutface:

I actually beat him...prob the only loss he took all night (wasn't watching his stream too much because I was playing)

• Upvote (+1) 1