CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

It's called a ranking system, or a social playlist. 

The settings have nothing to do with it. 

So you are saying all ranked should use hardcore settings?

Bungie was not shy about disclosing that based on veto stats, AR starts were vastly more popular than BR starts.

That's bullshit and classic manipulation on Bungie and now 343's part.

Everyone wants to play Team Slayer, so when they see "Team Slayer", that's what they vote for, not "Team BR" in the "Team Slayer" playlists. I would love to see 343 or Bungie at the time to flip it and have "Team Slayer" be BR starts and have the AR starts playlists called "Team AR", but they never will because it will point out the flaw in their ridiculous logic.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You do realise the NBA has a further 3 point line than amateur basketball right?

Wow you found the one thing I didn't mention.

Leave it to Cooper to ignore the actual point of your post. You rock at debating man.

Things are starting to heat up.

II. RESPECT OF OTHERS

• We have a zero-tolerance policy in regards to harassment.
  • You may not threaten, attack, or demean others.
  • You may not "bait" other users into poor behavior.
  • Passive-aggressiveness is absolutely not allowed.
  • Debates and arguments should be mature and insightful.
  • Constructive criticism is allowed - outright bashing is not.
  • Bashing or attacking of the game, developer, staff, sponsors, etc. is not allowed.
  • Arguing with staff publicly about moderation will not be tolerated.
  • Reputation should be used to acknowledge the quality of a post.
  • Excessive and unwarranted negative reputation will not be tolerated.
  • Bashing or harassing Beyond or Staff on social media/sites can result in a ban.
  • Bashing or mocking Premium features can result in a ban.
C'mon sirs.

Lawl

• Downvote (-1) 1

Does anyone actually like this Cooper guy?

Cooper's okay, actually (and is a hell of a troll when he wants to be, but I don't think he's trolling currently).

Viewpoint wise he probably agrees with most people here, but he's also correct when he says that people want AR starts.

Look at it this way:

When your starting weapon has no range it results in a lot more melee and grenade kills for terrible players as well as a lot more kills with other randomly picked up weapons because melee's power encourages a lot of running in straight lines at your opponent.

For truly casual players this is fun BECAUSE they don't play games to think unlike some of us.

If, from the very start every Halo defaulted to precision rifle gameplay then there'd be solid ground for the opposing viewpoint to rest on, but since that isn't the case we're at a point where the damage is done and it's mostly irreparable.

Enter Halo 5, where every weapon has a scope to increase its range somewhat and headshot damage is also (quietly) rewarded with automatic weapons and the pistol is visually and audibly unassuming yet is actually highly competent. It's a meeting in the middle that I think is designed to quietly make people on either end of the spectrum find what they like and enjoy it without overtly favouring any particular sub-community.

Rather than going cold turkey on H3's brand of AR starts I think 343 may be stealthily trying to unify community preferences and this could eventually lead to solid default settings without anyone on the less informed side of the "argument" even realising. It's using long-term conditioning to change an existing point of view.

Maybe I'm giving 343 too much credit for this, but I think the effect will end up being similar to what I described even if it isn't entirely intentional.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's bullshit and classic manipulation on Bungie and now 343's part.

Everyone wants to play Team Slayer, so when they see "Team Slayer", that's what they vote for, not "Team BR" in the "Team Slayer" playlists. I would love to see 343 or Bungie at the time to flip it and have "Team Slayer" be BR starts and have the AR starts playlists called "Team AR", but they never will because it will point out the flaw in their ridiculous logic.

I think you are severely underestimating people's intelligence. 

Wow you found the one thing I didn't mention.

Leave it to Cooper to ignore the actual point of your post. You rock at debating man.

i didn't ignore anything. There are numerous differences between an NBA game and a causal basketball game. From the 3 point line, to the shot clock, to the use of referees and the enforcement of fouls.

Your point was really, really poorly thought out.

I think you are severely underestimating people's intelligence.

Intelligence =/= Mindlessly playing video games. 80%, if not 90%, of people who play FPS games just choose what they think is going to be the most fun. If 343 is so confident about AR starts being popular, why don't they name the gametypes appropriately ("Team BR"/"Team AR") instead of labeling the AR starts gametype as the official one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i didn't ignore anything. There are numerous differences between an NBA game and a causal basketball game. From the 3 point line, to the shot clock, to the use of referees and the enforcement of fouls.

Your point was really, really poorly thought out.

The point is that a casual player doesn't need a bunch of hand holding to enjoy a game and in fact it is likely more fun when played in a more competitive fashion.

I wasn't opening this to a discussion of the finer points of NBA officiating. Shit man, it's called an analogy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The point is that a casual player doesn't need a bunch of hand holding to enjoy a game and in fact it is likely more fun when played in a more competitive fashion.

I wasn't opening this to a discussion of the finer points of NBA officiating. Shit man, it's called an analogy.

Your analogy was faulty and made no sense.

Also, your point makes no sense.

Your analogy was faulty and made no sense.

Also, your point makes no sense.

Don't bother responding if you aren't going to add anything. Everyone else responding had tried to make points or use logic and you just keep repeating the same thing, avoiding questions, and giving shit posts like this one and "what?"

You're wasting everyone's time.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lol I just played Braaaains on Death Valley (Valhalla) in Infection.

I don't think whoever worked on the playlist realizes the map was designed for Speed Demons (there's literally turrets everywhere) and is literally impossible to do anything on as a zombie unless you have the super speed from that specific gametype.

Figured 343 wouldn't just get it right.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Don't bother responding if you aren't going to add anything. Everyone else responding had tried to make points or use logic and you just keep repeating the same thing, avoiding questions, and giving shit posts like this one and "what?"

You're wasting everyone's time.

I'm still waiting for you to back up your opinion with anything of substance. You've thrown out a couple theories with absolutely no real world backing while dismissing my points with jems like "well, uh, people vote against what's good for them!" and "it's all because of the name of the gametype!".

So please, go on and say something that isn't just your subjective opinion.

I think what we're all frustrated about and yearn for, is if the base game resembled competitive settings from the start, it'd be just as popular, and we wouldn't have to fight for common sense.  People have just been fed garbage as the default for so long that they're used to it.  

And there is seriously something to be said for whatever playlist says Team Slayer, and whatever playlist is at the top.  I'm convinced they will be popular no matter what, because people don't read and they just want to play TDM. A perfect example is Super Slayer vs Team Slayer in Reach.  Super Slayer was clearly the better playlist, but had a fraction of the population because people just play whatever playlist is called Team Slayer.  

And as long as there is good skill matching/party restrictions, then they'll still have fun, because the settings are superior.  That's why we use them.  Whatever fun is to be gleaned from using cheesy shit to get kills ends as soon as someone does it to you.  Other games that have good competitive settings by default do just fine.  Ours would be no different if we didn't segregate them in a different playlist with an intimidating name.

You and I simply disagree at a fundamental level. I don't believe you are anywhere close to correct on the bold points.

Super slayer isn't a good example to use. To validate your point you have to actually create your ideal Team Slayer playlist, put it at the top, and see what happens.

From the help section:

Mobile has no such multi reply feature. (I was on the bus trying to burn my time. The bus is like a zoo, full of clowns and animals, and I try to occupy myself somehow.)

It's called a ranking system, or a social playlist. 

The settings have nothing to do with it. 

Nothing about ranking or social has anything to do with being pinged across the map by every opponent. You really sound like you have a tunnel view of the issue and that is all that you need to address.

Cooper's okay, actually (and is a hell of a troll when he wants to be, but I don't think he's trolling currently).

Viewpoint wise he probably agrees with most people here, but he's also correct when he says that people want AR starts.

Look at it this way:

When your starting weapon has no range it results in a lot more melee and grenade kills for terrible players as well as a lot more kills with other randomly picked up weapons because melee's power encourages a lot of running in straight lines at your opponent.

For truly casual players this is fun BECAUSE they don't play games to think unlike some of us.

If, from the very start every Halo defaulted to precision rifle gameplay then there'd be solid ground for the opposing viewpoint to rest on, but since that isn't the case we're at a point where the damage is done and it's mostly irreparable.

Enter Halo 5, where every weapon has a scope to increase its range somewhat and headshot damage is also (quietly) rewarded with automatic weapons and the pistol is visually and audibly unassuming yet is actually highly competent. It's a meeting in the middle that I think is designed to quietly make people on either end of the spectrum find what they like and enjoy it without overtly favouring any particular sub-community.

Rather than going cold turkey on H3's brand of AR starts I think 343 may be stealthily trying to unify community preferences and this could eventually lead to solid default settings without anyone on the less informed side of the "argument" even realising. It's using long-term conditioning to change an existing point of view.

Maybe I'm giving 343 too much credit for this, but I think the effect will end up being similar to what I described even if it isn't entirely intentional.

The fact is if Halo catered to the competitive crowd, most people would go play CoD and then the population would be as bad as H4 if it were so lucky.

But some people here know so much about the mechanics of Halo (and they do) that they are blinded to the realities of the population.

Halo as they know it is dead. MCC was the last gasp for life and it is on its last leg (singular). There needs to come an acceptance of this point, but it simply isn't to be found by some who crave and yearn for the best shooter Halo can be. What they need, really, is to look else where for that great shooter by a studio or inde-dev that doesn't care about population or money, but wants to make the best possible multiplayer arena experience possible.

I am done discussing this issue, I have made my point as clear as I possibly can.

The only crutch noobs need is a ranking system that actually works. Having radar and ar starts only limits them from improving.

They think they want ars because those are the games they do better in but only because the ranking system fails to match them with other people that lack the ability to be effective with the BR.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only crutch noobs need is a ranking system that actually works. Having radar and ar starts only limits them from improving.

They think they want ars because those are the games they do better in but only because the ranking system fails to match them with other people that lack the ability to be effective with the BR.

How does a ranking system make the gameplay fun for them in a game featuring 8 bad players?

It doesn't.

• Downvote (-1) 1

How does a ranking system make the gameplay fun for them in a game featuring 8 bad players?

It doesn't.

Without a proper ranking system there's absolutely no guarantee that the lobby will have 8 bad appropriately skilled players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing about ranking or social has anything to do with being pinged across the map by every opponent. You really sound like you have a tunnel view of the issue and that is all that you need to address.

Whoa, it's almost like Halo has multiple problems and map design is one of them. 

But you're right, casuals like trying to fight snipers with spray weapons against kids who are way better than them. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm still waiting for you to back up your opinion with anything of substance. You've thrown out a couple theories with absolutely no real world backing while dismissing my points with jems like "well, uh, people vote against what's good for them!" and "it's all because of the name of the gametype!".

So please, go on and say something that isn't just your subjective opinion.

"People vote against their best interest" is a real world fact and it obliterates your entire argument.

In fact now that I think about it, it so completely destroys anything you've said so far that I'm done responding to you.

Have fun arguing with the nine other people also astutely making you look wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lol I just played Braaaains on Death Valley (Valhalla) in Infection.

I don't think whoever worked on the playlist realizes the map was designed for Speed Demons (there's literally turrets everywhere) and is literally impossible to do anything on as a zombie unless you have the super speed from that specific gametype.

Figured 343 wouldn't just get it right.

You mean 343 didn't get the settings right?

That is madness!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Without a proper ranking system there's absolutely no guarantee that the lobby will have 8 bad appropriately skilled players.

You're avoiding my question.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"People vote against their best interest" is a real world fact and it obliterates your entire argument.

In fact now that I think about it, it so completely destroys anything you've said so far that I'm done responding to you.

Have fun arguing with the nine other people also astutely making you look wrong.

The other people atleast make sense. 

"People vote against their best interest" is not a point because it can be equally applied to everyone. By your logic everyone and anyone could be doing something "against their best interest". So should nobody's opinion count for anything?

All you have done during this discussion is try and assert that your opinion is law and that anyone who disagrees has no idea what they are talking about.

Um, what?

He wants to know how properly matched players can have fun without radar, jet packs and gravity hammer starts.

Fucking duh.

• Upvote (+1) 1