CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Yes 1%. The best available evidence is team throw down, that unless you are hard core you don't bother with anything hard core related.

Team Throwdown numbers were so low because H4 was such a enormous PoS that the whole competitive community left and the only people left playing H4 were the CoD kids. It didn't help that custom game options like disable sprint and flinch were non-existant. H3 MLG was pretty popular back in the day. I'm not claiming top played playlist, but it wasn't a ghost town like Team Throwdown.

The 1% number is completely off.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Team Throwdown numbers were so low because H4 was such a enormous PoS that the whole competitive community left and the only people left playing H4 were the CoD kids. It didn't help that custom game options like disable sprint and flinch were non-existant. H3 MLG was pretty popular back in the day. I'm not claiming top played playlist, but it wasn't a ghost town like Team Throwdown.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but "MLG" or "Hardcore" Halo has never been popular.  Now, I cant speak for H2, but the MLG playlist in Reach and  h3 playlist always had population numbers in the low single digit percentage. 1% means 3000 people playing MLG with a population of 300k, and the highest I remember seeing was around 10-11k at around 300k population which is a whooping 3%. Meanwhile you had 100000 people playing Social Slayer.

The MLG playlist was slightly less popular relatively in Reach than it was in H3 ( most definetly due to no ranks), as I remember around 600 people online in MLG when the counter was at 60k.

The team throwdown population was mostly so low because of the tiny playerbase compared to other halos. 1% of 20k is only 200 people, and the settings were so shitty ontop of the absensce of ranks (again) it is no surprise that playlist completly tanked (but not that much worse than to be expected).

The "competitive Halo" playlist is just not that popular, but it's not really very suprising. In customs you have more control over the connection, the players, the settings (since the playlists were almost always atleast one version behind, why even play matchmaking if you have a choice?) and the gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but "MLG" or "Hardcore" Halo has never been popular.  Now, I cant speak for H2, but the MLG playlist in Reach and  h3 playlist always had population numbers in the low single digit percentage. 1% means 3000 people playing MLG with a population of 300k, and the highest I remember seeing was around 10-11k at around 300k population which is a whooping 3%. Meanwhile you had 100000 people playing Social Slayer.

The MLG playlist was slightly less popular relatively in Reach than it was in H3 ( most definetly due to no ranks), as I remember around 600 people online in MLG when the counter was at 60k.

The team throwdown population was mostly so low because of the tiny playerbase compared to other halos. 1% of 20k is only 200 people, and the settings were so shitty ontop of the absensce of ranks (again) it is no surprise that playlist completly tanked (but not that much worse than to be expected).

The "competitive Halo" playlist is just not that popular, but it's not really very suprising. In customs you have more control over the connection, the players, the settings (since the playlists were almost always atleast one version behind, why even play matchmaking if you have a choice?) and the gametypes.

I didn't say it was popular, but saying the competitive community makes 1% of the total player base is complete bullshit. And saying it just gives 343i more fuel to make shitty playlist setups and cater to the thumbless player swho need randomness and extreme aim assist to score a kill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dude, there was not 300k concurrent H3 player's outside of the first few months and that was before there was an MLG playlist lol.

As far as I can remember when H3 hovered around 100k concurrent the MLG playlist had about 3000-5000.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dude, there was not 300k concurrent H3 player's outside of the first few months and that was before there was an MLG playlist lol.

As far as I can remember when H3 hovered around 100k concurrent the MLG playlist had about 3000-5000.

When year are you talking about? It was averaging that in the MLG playlist in 2012 lol.

I'll admit my memory isn't the absolute best anymore, but I'm fairly sure the population was around that high for quite a while, not just a few months. I tried to find the old population charts on google but unfortunately didn't manage to find anything like the infamous "h4 population chart" for h3 or Reach.

It's really just about the name and place of the playlists. Call the MLG playlist "Team Slayer", place it above all the other lists and everyone will play it. Most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference lol.

Absolutely. Funny enough, back when I just got into halo I had idea there was a difference. I didn't even realize the difference between Team BRS and Slayer. Most people precisely play Team Slayer for no other reason than its name and the fact that its at the top.

In fact thinking about it I now remember that every time the MLG playlist in Reach had one of those playlist super jackpots, the population skyrocketed.

Apparently getting destroyed every game  is worth having the chance to earn some extra credits.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's really just about the name and place of the playlists. Call the MLG playlist "Team Slayer", place it above all the other lists and everyone will play it. Most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference lol.

100% truth.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Pretty sure when Bungie vs. World dropped, the concurrent population was well over 300k.

I'm trying to find a picture of someone searching in that playlist to prove it. I just remember looking at the numbers throughout the day and it got crazy. Shame the playlist was ruined by that stupid Foundry map that kept popping up... Colonnade or whatever.

And I'm sure someone will be tempted to say it doesn't count because of Recon, but to me, it shows the amount of people who were still invested into the game. The fact that people had found how to cheese the ranking system as bad as it was hurt Halo 3 a lot on the long run. It's impressive to see the amount of people who were still interested in the game and wanted just a special set of armor almost two years after the game came out. That day was still super thrilling to me, easily had some of the most competitive matches I had in a social playlist (somehow matched a good amount of pros and online legends) and also some of the most fun I've had grinding out a 24 hour session. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I said best available evidence. You have none. You are guessing.

None of my experience tells me this makes any sense. I always play the playlist that has decent population and was fun. I play team slayer in reach only because btb is boring infection is boring and no other playlist has any real population.

On h4 I play actionsack and heavies almost exclusively.

Put mlg/hcore at the top. People may play it the first time they play MP, but that will be the last time for most of them. Because it isn't fun.

• Downvote (-1) 3

None of my experience tells me this makes any sense. I always play the playlist that has decent population and was fun. I play team slayer in reach only because btb is boring infection is boring and no other playlist has any real population.

Put mlg/hcore at the top. People may play it the first time they play MP, but that will be the last time for most of them. Because it isn't fun.

You realize fun is subjective?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Pretty sure when Bungie vs. World dropped, the concurrent population was well over 300k.

I'm trying to find a picture of someone searching in that playlist to prove it. I just remember looking at the numbers throughout the day and it got crazy. Shame the playlist was ruined by that stupid Foundry map that kept popping up... Colonnade or whatever.

And I'm sure someone will be tempted to say it doesn't count because of Recon, but to me, it shows the amount of people who were still invested into the game. The fact that people had found how to cheese the ranking system as bad as it was hurt Halo 3 a lot on the long run. It's impressive to see the amount of people who were still interested in the game and wanted just a special set of armor almost two years after the game came out. That day was still super thrilling to me, easily had some of the most competitive matches I had in a social playlist (somehow matched a good amount of pros and online legends) and also some of the most fun I've had grinding out a 24 hour session. 

Doesn't count because of Recon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's the most fun playlist. The only thing keeping people from thinking it's fun is the name. Calling it hard core or MLG makes it seem intimidating and then it becomes stressful to play for less skilled players.

But given a proper ranking system and skill based matchmaking that actually works - and that playlist can be the most fun because it has the best possible game settings for an exciting match.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo 3 had 300k concurrent for 3 years. In it's third year it started to fall into 250k range i think though. But yeah.

It's hard to understand how anyone can think Team Slayer is fun on Reach. To me, that playlist is a nightmare and one of the worst Halo playlists of all time. It's pre-title update. That means over-powered armor lock, overpowered invis, 100% bloom, and on top of that, it's AR start. At least in Big Team, every game is DMR start and title updated.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I said best available evidence. You have none. You are guessing.

Using H4 numbers is barely "evidence". Just lol am I supposed to pull screenshots of the H3 menu back in 08 out of my ass?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's statements like this that make me wonder why you come here.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1