CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I don't understand why any of you are still attempting to play the game. The only real improvements I've seen since launch are actually being able to get into games, and fewer crashes. I've only had ONE truly fun match this entire time, on launch day - a Snipers match on Colossus with perfect hit registration and zero lag. Better than the original. Must've crossed wires with 343's internal "we didn't see these problems" network...

The netcode stinks in 1, 2, and 3.

The ranking system stinks.

The voting system stinks.

There are still buggy achievements.

Aside from 60 FPS, the original releases are still the superior ones.

In addition:

The Xbone UI stinks.

The Xbone controller has poor build quality.

Xbox Live is constantly having issues.

Microsoft has a grudge against local multiplayer.

Each Microsoft console has been worse than the previous one.

The melodramatic whining on these forums has really gotten out of control.  Yes, 343 is mostly incompetent; yes, MCC has some problems (I never play on dedis, playlists are weak, etc.).  But if you really love Halo --- that is, if other FPS games aren't nearly as enjoyable to you --- then ffs, MCC is not THAT bad:

- The netcode is occasionally annoying (esp. for H1 / H3) ... but this doesn't make the game unplayable.

- Ranks work extremely well once you get above ~20 or so.

- Voting system is not a make-or-break issue; H2 had no voting at all, and H3 only had a veto ...

- WTF do achievements have to do with gameplay?  Who cares about achievements?

- Yes, OG H1 and H2 are superior ... except that, you know, you can't play them on XBL?  

- XB1 UI has literally nothing to do with my enjoyment of the MCC

- I've had zero problems with my XB1 controller

- XBL has always had issues, though I agree there's been slightly more of them lately

- If you're playing on LAN, why play MCC at all?  Just play OG

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 8

The melodramatic whining on these forums has really gotten out of control. Yes, 343 is mostly incompetent; yes, MCC has some problems (I never play on dedis, playlists are weak, etc.). But if you really love Halo --- that is, if other FPS games aren't nearly as enjoyable to you --- then ffs, MCC is not THAT bad:

- The netcode is occasionally annoying (esp. for H1 / H3) ... but this doesn't make the game unplayable.

- Voting system is not a make-or-break issue; H2 had no voting at all, and H3 only had a veto ...

- WTF do achievements have to do with gameplay? Who cares about achievements?

- Yes, OG H1 and H2 are superior ... except that, you know, you can't play them on XBL?

- XBL has always had issues, though I agree there's been slightly more of them lately

- If you're playing on LAN, why play MCC at all? Just play OG

Halo 3 is pretty unplayable. It's 100x different than the original and 2/3 of the voting options are AR starts. You can only play BR slayer. That is game breaking. Halo 2 melees don't work and seeing how that game has a heavy focus on button combos that is a huge deal. HCE bullet magnetism is awful but it is playable.

And that's just gameplay issues. That doesn't even dive in to playlists that should be added, joining with friends is near impossible, severe lag, QTB frequently. The game is horrible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 3 is pretty unplayable. It's 100x different than the original and 2/3 of the voting options are AR starts. You can only play BR slayer. That is game breaking. Halo 2 melees don't work and seeing how that game has a heavy focus on button combos that is a huge deal. HCE bullet magnetism is awful but it is playable.

And that's just gameplay issues. That doesn't even dive in to playlists that should be added, joining with friends is near impossible, severe lag, QTB frequently. The game is horrible.

I have no problem joining with friends. Granted I only have 2-3 that still play, there's no trouble. We find games, and the party never splits. I also don't get unbearable lag. Nothing worse than when I played the originals. I play H2A and doubles regularly, with a mix of swat, HCE, and H2.

How many playlists do you want added? If the game is THAT bad, there would be no population for it anyway. The only major thing missing is H3 hardcore.

The melodramatic whining on these forums has really gotten out of control.  Yes, 343 is mostly incompetent; yes, MCC has some problems (I never play on dedis, playlists are weak, etc.).  But if you really love Halo --- that is, if other FPS games aren't nearly as enjoyable to you --- then ffs, MCC is not THAT bad:

Unless you're from AU and can only play team slayer

• Upvote (+1) 5

I have no problem joining with friends. Granted I only have 2-3 that still play, there's no trouble. We find games, and the party never splits. I also don't get unbearable lag. Nothing worse than when I played the originals. I play H2A and doubles regularly, with a mix of swat, HCE, and H2.

How many playlists do you want added? If the game is THAT bad, there would be no population for it anyway. The only major thing missing is H3 hardcore.

The population is extremely low. I mean the top playlists are BTB Team Slayer and Halo 4. That's great that you aren't having problems, I am and so are many others. As far as playlists Halo 3 Hardcore is a MAJOR one. The H3 playlist we have is awful, absolutely horrible. I would've broken up the playlists more by game/Team size. But thank God they added Action Sack and are now gonna add a 1v1 playlist!

This is true, still can't believe 343 effed that up

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played ~3000 games of H3 on the 360 and have not noticed any serious differences on the XB1 apart from occasional shots not connecting and then the sniper feels a bit weird.  H3 is not "100x" different.  

I quit the build maybe once per night ... takes 30 seconds.  Again, this makes MCC annoying but not unplayable. 

I played ~3000 games of H3 on the 360 and have not noticed any serious differences on the XB1 apart from occasional shots not connecting and then the sniper feels a bit weird. H3 is not "100x" different.

I quit the build maybe once per night ... takes 30 seconds. Again, this makes MCC annoying but not unplayable.

Halo 3 on MCC is not like the original at all. The bullets travel like 50 mph slower on MCC.

The population is extremely low. I mean the top playlists are BTB Team Slayer and Halo 4. That's great that you aren't having problems, I am and so are many others. As far as playlists Halo 3 Hardcore is a MAJOR one. The H3 playlist we have is awful, absolutely horrible. I would've broken up the playlists more by game/Team size. But thank God they added Action Sack and are now gonna add a 1v1 playlist!

The population is extremely low, yet you want MORE playlists. All that does is make search times longer. This isn't a problem with cod or OG halo 3 because the game is so popular all playlists are filled.

The population is extremely low, yet you want MORE playlists. All that does is make search times longer. This isn't a problem with cod or OG halo 3 because the game is so popular all playlists are filled.

Im not saying more, I'm saying change the actual playlist structure
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Sigh...  -_-

I don't notice a problem with ranks. I was young when Halo 2 was popular, but I remember it being very annoying and difficult to level up. Same with MCC.

I'm still playing halo because its my favorite game. If I play H2A or doubles I see very little trouble at all. I agree with the voting system.

Luckily X1 should get a new ui soon. And how was the 360 a downgrade from the original?

Please don't be one of those Waypoint "Oh my game is working just fine" guys. This game has factual problems and has had them since day one. 

It was hard to level up in H2, but it wasn't as hard as it currently is. First and foremost, 45+'s don't play level 20's. Simple as that. Teams of 4 should never play randoms. It just shouldn't happen. And it's definitely harder to rank up in MCC than it was on H2. It has taken me 2-3 games to level up one rank starting from level 1. On H2 you could play 1 game and level up until about level.... 9-ish(?). On the flip side of things, I have played numerous games in Hardcore when I first started playing that playlist at like 13 and beaten teams level 25+ numerous times consecutively   and still takes me 4 games to rank up. They need to use the level/experience system Bungie coined 10 years ago.

Lmao @ the second bold. You see no problems with the voting system huh? I'm not even going to bother. 

• We should have had dedicated servers as advertised. The fact that I have played a ton of yellow/red bar games with kids rubber banding everywhere on my screen is just annoying. It makes the game completely unplayable for some. Me, I can deal with it every once in a while, but I'm not oblivious enough to not see how it can be unplayable for people.
  • No.. They don't.
  • It may not be a make or break issue, but it's extremely unbalanced and coupled with the horrid playlists options on this game, it becomes a ridiculous problem.
  • A lot of people care about their achievements... Once again, and I'm sensing a pattern the more and more I respond to your post, there are more people that play this game than just YOU, good sir.
  • Yes, we do know that we can't play them on XBL... And that's the problem. The old versions were better and we have to settle for the trash ports.

• The Xbox UI has a lot to do with the enjoyment of MCC considering the fact that one of the biggest accreditations of Halo 2 was the seemless UI that it introduced. Considering the MCC UI has probably the worst of the entire series (Halo Reach arguably being the best for comparison). It takes forever to send party invites to multiple people who are not inside of your chat. The friends list breaks every once in a while and you can't see who is online. The party chat breaks... There are so many things I can name that hinders the enjoyment of MCC.
  • I won't argue the controller thing but I will say, Microsoft has yet to produce a controller that can compete with the quality of a third-party like Scuf for example.
  • Xbox Live definitely has a ton of issues.. Thus why for my next bullet I have to say,
  • Out of all your comments, this was probably the only one I have to say was utterly idiotic. If you're playing on LAN, why play MCC at all? I honestly don't even know how to respond to this bullet-point. I really would actually like to know your thought process on this.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

You can not...I can not...I-I..

Oh, the heck with it. 

Front and center young man.

This is your mother.

Go to your room.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Funny because if you really love Halo, MCC is so much more insulting...

Hey now, I just had a game in the CE playlist...

...after more than 30 minutes searching...

...that ended up being a 1v1...

...on a scummy foreign p2p connection...

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't run into issues anymore. The game runs fine for me now. I've had maybe one crash in the last 10 or so hours, matchmaking is fairly quick, connections are usually quite solid (although the whole dedicated servers thing is rubbish) and skill matching seems alright.

I still cant believe there isn't dedis, the connections are so bad. Even if its not laggy, the shot reg will be terrible.

You haven't waited this long to try and get a refund, have you? 

I got it from a bundle lol. still...

This is what bugs me most about the game. The experience is different for everyone. Every time a update comes out you hear different accounts of what the update did for everybody and what's worrying is the issues vary depending on your connection/where you live. Like meanbean said; I myself can't remember the last time I had proper technical issues with the game, yet I know the game freaks out on a daily basis for people elsewhere and the aussies have been fucked over since day 1. For me; I cannot play h2c. Every game is laggy, I can even tell the host is good in some games yet the game skips and shots don't register- I teleport etc. I can get good connections in everything else (altho h2a likes to freak out cos I have less than 1mb upload) but h2c has never been right for me.

What's worse is past all the garbage netcode and menu issues like I said I'm not affected by em too much as all I play is h3 and h1 but unfortunately 343 have set us up with some of the most garbage settings I've ever witnessed. I'd love to play lone wolves h3 again. Save me running into citadel, boundless and orbital 90 times a day. H1 is the only play list where you'll always get good maps. Everything is else is dampened cos for some reason all the dlc maps (but not heretic, fuck heretic) just love to come up all the damn time!. I swear, they did it on purpose guys. Trey know what we love and they put the weightings on all the good game types at 11% cos they get a kick out of it. God dang this studio.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The game is no longer a total PoS, but it just isn't enjoyable to play long-term. All the small issues, from the lag and dodging players to the non-existant skill matching and the beyond stupid AR/SMG start gametypes: It all adds up and drives people away from the game.

What makes my blood boil even more than the issues is 343's arrogance and incompetence. The fact no one got fired or sued for all of this is a disgrace

• Upvote (+1) 7

Anybody know how to get out of red rep so i can actually get games? People in H2C keep blocking me so now i cant even get a match, does the custom game thing work at all to get back to green? Very frustrating

• Upvote (+1) 5

The voting system killed Halo.

Really though 343 needs to fix the algorithm for which maps come up. It feels like the same ones all the time. It needs to be completely random. There's no point to have a game with 100 maps if you only have the option to play 20.

• Upvote (+1) 1